Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thinking of doing this (upgrading from a Pixel 2 to Pixel 3a XL). Is there any gotcha I should be aware of with the XL models? I just want the bigger screen and battery.

Biggest difference will be the screen size.

Anyone else pick up a 3a? What case are you using?

Wish Diztronic made new cases, really liked theirs with the Pixel 2 :( got a Spigen Rugged Armor and would prefer a smaller matte black TPU case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ok so with the new gestures, did they remove the super useful one time rotation that came up when you rotated your phone, but didn't want to disable rotation lock? Why add such an amazing simple feature we have needed since forever, only to remove it again. Ugh

Might go back to the in between gesture/button mode of Pie to get that back alone, I dono..

Hopefully not, I really like that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-3a-doesnt-support-rcs-t-mobile

None of T-Mobile's Pixels support RCS messaging.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
rip

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Goggle: "We're going to continue supporting RCS instead of making an iMessage competitor because..."

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

quote:

RCS works on the Pixel 3a if you use it on another carrier, such as Sprint or Verizon, so it's rather peculiar that T-Mobile is choosing to omit the feature.
In layman's terms, what goes into making RCS work on a particular phone/carrier and why would some carriers do it for a phone and some not/a carrier do it for some phones and not others?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

In layman's terms, what goes into making RCS work on a particular phone/carrier and why would some carriers do it for a phone and some not/a carrier do it for some phones and not others?

Carrier stupidity.

That's it.

(T-Mobile wants people to pay whatever/month for "Digits" which is iMessage with a pricetag and only works with other Digits subscribers)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
poo poo, Samsung Messages supports RCS, and yet Verizon's site says only the Pixel3 and 3XL support it, not any of the Samsung devices.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
RCS is a really stupid, and I have no idea how google thought it was a replacement for hangouts instead of being something complementary

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Celexi posted:

RCS is a really stupid, and I have no idea how google thought it was a replacement for hangouts instead of being something complementary

Probably because Google uses it to placate carriers and law enforcement, which coincidentally are the only factions that also support RCS.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
RCS is just "what if SMS/MMS weren't total poo poo" and I think that has some value even though everyone should be using encrypted services

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Celexi posted:

google thinks everything is a replacement for hangouts

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And yet hangouts still works fine? WTF is going to happen with it? Does google even know?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

CLAM DOWN posted:

That was accomplished with normal 60hz (I'm assuming?) screens. They're still buttery smooth with that. It's not possible to be even more smooth, there's like a smoothness ceiling and more hz just seems stupid battery wasting smartphone dick waving.

This isn't like the audiophile "I SWEAR I can hear the imaginary bits in 24/192 audio." There isn't a "smoothness ceiling" and I bet a phone with a 120Hz (or even the 90 that OnePlus is claiming is coming) would probably look pretty sharp. There are literally a hundred things you can make the placebo argument for and this is the dumbest one because refresh rate has a tangible impact on viewing, especially w/r/t cinematic content which is continuing to shift towards mobile devices

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Am I the only one who never really liked using hangouts for sms? I tried it and switched back to a regular sms app a few days later.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I used it for a long time, but it wasn't a smooth experience (lots of "jumping" as images would load) and it would take a while to open. Switched back to Messages eventually.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Me: Man, the Pixel isn't available for Jump On Demand customers at T-Mobile.

Also me: I'll get an S10e since it's supposed to be really good and Samsung supposedly stopped being poo poo.

Me as well: *keeps bringing down the notification shade with my thumb on accident because I have giant hands and didn't realize everyone's complaint about the power button being too high would cause the opposite problem for me*

(Device isn't poo poo so far, just lol that I keep activating this feature a lot of people claimed was difficult to use due to positioning)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Pixel 3a XL turned up yesterday. So far seems like a solid side-grade for my old P1XL that will continue getting updates for 3 years, and doesn't have a knackered battery. Would recommend for people that want up-to-date stock(ish) android, a headphone jack and don't care about performance or tiny bezels.

mystes
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

And yet hangouts still works fine? WTF is going to happen with it? Does google even know?
Didn't they announce that consumer hangouts is deprecated and they're probably eventually going to kill it?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

couldcareless posted:

Am I the only one who never really liked using hangouts for sms? I tried it and switched back to a regular sms app a few days later.

I switched about the time messages for web came out, because that was the only reason I was sticking with Hangouts. Hangouts interacted poorly with app integration; I couldn't always be sure that an app I wanted to send SMS messages would use it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

This isn't like the audiophile "I SWEAR I can hear the imaginary bits in 24/192 audio." There isn't a "smoothness ceiling" and I bet a phone with a 120Hz (or even the 90 that OnePlus is claiming is coming) would probably look pretty sharp. There are literally a hundred things you can make the placebo argument for and this is the dumbest one because refresh rate has a tangible impact on viewing, especially w/r/t cinematic content which is continuing to shift towards mobile devices

Not only was this chain of discussion over and you're an idiot for bringing it back up, I'm also not "arguing". Calm the gently caress down and consider what you're posting prior to clicking that button.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The cool thing about biology is that things can differ between individuals within a species. Some people have a lower threshold for seeing differences in refresh rates. Some people stop around 60, others 120 to 165, some can notice it up into the 200s. Not being able to perceive a higher refresh rate doesn't make someone wrong, it simply means they can't perceive it, or it's not sufficiently different enough for them to notice the difference.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

The cool thing about biology is that things can differ between individuals within a species. Some people have a lower threshold for seeing differences in refresh rates. Some people stop around 60, others 120 to 165, some can notice it up into the 200s. Not being able to perceive a higher refresh rate doesn't make someone wrong, it simply means they can't perceive it, or it's not sufficiently different enough for them to notice the difference.

I believe you, but why is it ok to say this about refresh rates, but mentioning audio quality gets you mocked? What's the difference?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I believe you, but why is it ok to say this about refresh rates, but mentioning audio quality gets you mocked? What's the difference?

Exactly! Also, I have some speaker wire that has been rubbed with special audio dirt. $1000/ft, interested?

real response: the audiophile community is so poisoned by scammers that it's not worth discussing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Because audiophiles are up their own assholes about high quality audio to the point where it's a joke. I believe that at higher encode rates and less compression people can in fact hear more detail, however, it's the circle jerking about the gear used to listen to it and codecs that cause them to be mocked. Also, like with screen refresh rates, there is a point of diminishing returns, which audiophiles seem to not acknowledge.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alan_Shore posted:

They don't have quantifiable numbers for "wider soundstage", "warmer sound", "directionality", etc.
The industry uses qualitative claims with absolutely no standard for measuring or detecting them.

Refresh rate is much more binary; you have a number of frames the display is rendering per second. You either notice it or you don't compared to a different rate of refresh.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 10, 2019

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That is a classic. Thanks

And yeah I can see a difference up to maybe 120-140hz. Haven't really tried anything higher than that since the old CRT days.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 10, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Branch Nvidian posted:

Because audiophiles are up their own assholes about high quality audio to the point where it's a joke. I believe that at higher encode rates and less compression people can in fact hear more detail, however, it's the circle jerking about the gear used to listen to it and codecs that cause them to be mocked. Also, like with screen refresh rates, there is a point of diminishing returns, which audiophiles seem to not acknowledge.

I like my Sony MDR-V6 cans because they're still very standard in audio production and I like to pretend that means that I'm hearing what the people mixing the music did.

Despite, y'know, the fact that the audio source is usually a medium-bitrate .aac file that's being processed through... whatever DSP chip my phone has and then is passed through a USB-C->3.5" adapter. :v:

I had (still have, actually) an LG V20 and for all its claims of audiophile-level quad DSP the only thing I ever noticed was it was slightly louder than any other phone I've owned. Which is something quantifiable, at least.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

asecondduck posted:

I like my Sony MDR-V6 cans

:hfive:

Thinking of getting a pair of 7506's next; the jack is starting to get staticy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I used a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros for years. I actually still have them, but the headband pad came off.

I have a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50xRDs now, and they're pretty sweet.

Plus my Note 9 still has a headphone jack :smuggo:

I was thinking about getting a pair of Galaxy Buds to use when I'm on the road (I travel ~3 days per week for work) so my M50xs don't get banged up in my backpack.

Any thoughts on them?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

couldcareless posted:

I switched to Messenger for SMS stuff but still use Hangouts for my old Google chat stuff. The issues I had with SMS in Hangouts were cosmetic in nature and easily fixable but someone at Google needed a promo so we got Allo instead

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Annath posted:

I was thinking about getting a pair of Galaxy Buds to use when I'm on the road (I travel ~3 days per week for work) so my M50xs don't get banged up in my backpack.

Any thoughts on them?

For bluetooth earbuds they are pretty good. They are better and cheaper than Apple Airpods. People really like the fit of the earbuds and often praise how comfortable they are. They last around 5-6 hours and the case carries an extra 7 hours of charge. People say the audio quality is pretty good and the Galaxy Wearables app works very well.

There are a few problems though. The only low latency codec it has is Samsung proprietary, so non-Samsung phones will get AAC encoded bluetooth and higher latencies. Not much of a problem if you are only going to use them for music. Also, the microphone sucks so they aren't very good for making calls with. Quiet rooms are fine, but noisy rooms or being outside can result in issues. I've also hear some people say that it has range issues with the Pixel 3, but that's probably the typical Pixel bluetooth issues.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nalin posted:

For bluetooth earbuds they are pretty good. They are better and cheaper than Apple Airpods. People really like the fit of the earbuds and often praise how comfortable they are. They last around 5-6 hours and the case carries an extra 7 hours of charge. People say the audio quality is pretty good and the Galaxy Wearables app works very well.

There are a few problems though. The only low latency codec it has is Samsung proprietary, so non-Samsung phones will get AAC encoded bluetooth and higher latencies. Not much of a problem if you are only going to use them for music. Also, the microphone sucks so they aren't very good for making calls with. Quiet rooms are fine, but noisy rooms or being outside can result in issues. I've also hear some people say that it has range issues with the Pixel 3, but that's probably the typical Pixel bluetooth issues.

I had so many problems with my PixelXL's Bluetooth, that was a major reason I couldn't ditched it in favor of the Note 9.

It sounds like the Note would play nicely with the Galaxy Buds though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've been using the Zolo Liberty+ earbuds for the past year and a bit and still strongly recommend them, if you're looking for wireless earbuds.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been using the Zolo Liberty+ earbuds for the past year and a bit and still strongly recommend them, if you're looking for wireless earbuds.

Same, plus they recently updated them to have a longer battery life and quicker charges.

mystes posted:

Didn't they announce that consumer hangouts is deprecated and they're probably eventually going to kill it?

No they said that it's deprecated and they're definitely going to kill it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

No they said that it's deprecated and they're definitely going to kill it.

They also said that both Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet will be available for non-G Suite users as well.

quote:

In March 2017, we announced plans to evolve classic Hangouts to focus on two experiences that help bring teams together: Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Both Chat and Meet are available today for G Suite customers and will be made available for consumer users, too. We have not announced an official timeline for transitioning users from classic Hangouts to Chat and Meet. We are fully committed to supporting classic Hangouts users until everyone is successfully migrated to Chat and Meet.

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/01/hangouts-chat-meet-consumers/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is the Google Play Music backup thing for your own music getting the heave-hoe? I use it as cloud backup for my music on the main PC but if it's getting stiffed I need to look at alternative backup options.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the Google Play Music backup thing for your own music getting the heave-hoe? I use it as cloud backup for my music on the main PC but if it's getting stiffed I need to look at alternative backup options.

Google's been silent on that question so I'd have to assume it's going to vanish. I mean, they haven't definitively said it will stay and it's the best thing about Play Music so you have to assume if they weren't going to gently caress you over they'd say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I cross shopped those with the Jabra Elite 65t and ened up with the Jabra. I am very happy with them. Might be another one to look at.