Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, in my game everyone is called Sephiroth.

Psh, literally everyone named Barrett Mr. T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey it's been a while since you started New Threat. How are you enjoying it or did you finish it?

This reveal is making me want to replay FFVII. Or, oddly, FFX.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Odd choice to cast Aiden Gillen in the role of Aeris but I'm interested to see how it works out.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Arist posted:

People who still get upset about the Aerith thing confuse me. It's been Aerith since Kingdom Hearts came out in 2002. It's a settled issue.

Same with the pronunciation of "Tidus" and yet...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no one remembers anything about FF7, its power is fearsome that way

cloud is a well-meaning but severely mentally ill young man who spends the first leg of his adventure vacillating between obnoxious swagger and barely-controlled migraine-accompanying freakouts because there are two different personalities and like five different voices jostling for control inside of his chemical-soaked brain. the only person who knows how broken he really is at the start is his aforementioned co-dependent childhood friend who enables his illness due to her own guilt and attachment issues, and then he meets another girl who decides to start shamelessly flirting with him because he has a passing resemblance to her old boyfriend, very quickly realizes how bad a decision that was, and spends the rest of their adventure trying to find a way to apologize for it only to get killed before she can spit it out

he has his memetic lines but people tend not to remember stuff like his patient efforts to talk yuffie through her motion sickness or how he just rolls his eyes and goes along with all the insanity at the junon parade. in other circumstances he'd be the generically nice small-town everykid from less memorable JRPG's, but shinra pumping him full of mako and jenova cells derailed that

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I was talking to a friend about FF7 after the trailer yesterday and we were both shocked when we realized that, while we remembered specific moments in the game, we could not connect them together at all past Midgar. And even that has some fuzzy bits. It was kinda spooky to realize how little I actually remember of it, honestly. Probably should replay it, maybe with that New Threat thing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

This is the worst of both worlds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I was talking to a friend about FF7 after the trailer yesterday and we were both shocked when we realized that, while we remembered specific moments in the game, we could not connect them together at all past Midgar. And even that has some fuzzy bits. It was kinda spooky to realize how little I actually remember of it, honestly. Probably should replay it, maybe with that New Threat thing.

Just go read Elentor's LP. It's much faster and gets much more in-depth that you likely will just playing through.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

cloud is a well-meaning but severely mentally ill young man who spends the first leg of his adventure vacillating between obnoxious swagger and barely-controlled migraine-accompanying freakouts because there are two different personalities and like five different voices jostling for control inside of his chemical-soaked brain. the only person who knows how broken he really is at the start is his aforementioned co-dependent childhood friend who enables his illness due to her own guilt and attachment issues, and then he meets another girl who decides to start shamelessly flirting with him because he has a passing resemblance to her old boyfriend, very quickly realizes how bad a decision that was, and spends the rest of their adventure trying to find a way to apologize for it only to get killed before she can spit it out

he has his memetic lines but people tend not to remember stuff like his patient efforts to talk yuffie through her motion sickness or how he just rolls his eyes and goes along with all the insanity at the junon parade. in other circumstances he'd be the generically nice small-town everykid from less memorable JRPG's, but shinra pumping him full of mako and jenova cells derailed that

The thing with Yuffie is great touch because you find out that Cloud suffered from motion sickness in the flashback and Zack did the same to him.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think there's a much more interesting story to tell with Tifa where the reason she doesn't contradict Cloud's story is because she's not sure if she's the one who is all hosed up. After all she went through a lot of trauma too, and if anything Cloud's version of events make more sense since he claims to be a Soldier who went to Nibelheim and he actually is a strong as gently caress dude with mako eyes who has first-hand knowledge of the events there.

Anyways you can read all about it in my fan project which will be released in approximately 12 years, just before the official remake.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well I walked into that one

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
As a child I assumed that 'Aeris' was a typo for the Zodiac so I renamed her Aries.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey it's been a while since you started New Threat. How are you enjoying it or did you finish it?

This reveal is making me want to replay FFVII. Or, oddly, FFX.

I had fun early on but I'll admit that I had more fun with the original hard mode mod because it was just the game forcing you to use its original mechanics to the fullest.

My favorite FF7 fight is still Venus, Locke & Theo because figuring out a battle plan to steal their 3 items without having to go overlevel was not trivial and it was the most fun I had in FF7.

New Threat was okay but I kinda stopped early on. I liked some of the ideas but felt like something was missing. Maybe I should have gone with the default mode instead of the New New Threat.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Saint Freak posted:

I think there's a much more interesting story to tell with Tifa where the reason she doesn't contradict Cloud's story is because she's not sure if she's the one who is all hosed up. After all she went through a lot of trauma too, and if anything Cloud's version of events make more sense since he claims to be a Soldier who went to Nibelheim and he actually is a strong as gently caress dude with mako eyes who has first-hand knowledge of the events there.

Anyways you can read all about it in my fan project which will be released in approximately 12 years, just before the official remake.

This is why Cloud has been my favorite FF protagonist for years now. I know the translation is sloppy and I'm at its mercy but all this really interesting stuff still shines through.

FFVII's popularity I think makes some people roll their eyes when you say it has some great writing but I think it got popular because of that great writing. Also some amazing graphics for the time but the game deserves all the praise it got then and still gets now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NikkolasKing posted:

This is why Cloud has been my favorite FF protagonist for years now. I know the translation is sloppy and I'm at its mercy but all this really interesting stuff still shines through.

FFVII's popularity I think makes some people roll their eyes when you say it has some great writing but I think it got popular because of that great writing. Also some amazing graphics for the time but the game deserves all the praise it got then and still gets now.

Yeah I replayed FF7 I think last year? on the PS4 and a lot of the writing holds up really well, even if there's some gobbledygook at points. It's definitely got a lot more complexity and nuance going on than my personal favorite FF6.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elentor posted:

I had fun early on but I'll admit that I had more fun with the original hard mode mod because it was just the game forcing you to use its original mechanics to the fullest.

My favorite FF7 fight is still Venus, Locke & Theo because figuring out a battle plan to steal their 3 items without having to go overlevel was not trivial and it was the most fun I had in FF7.

New Threat was okay but I kinda stopped early on. I liked some of the ideas but felt like something was missing. Maybe I should have gone with the default mode instead of the New New Threat.

You mean this Hardcore Mod?
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6818.0

I remember enjoying it right up until you start going around doing optional stuff like the Materia Caves. The bosses there were ridiculous. Interesting but ridiculous The boss guarding KOTR for example was determined by your game time. I forget exactly how it works but it was stronger the longer you had put into the game and the more HP you had.

I kinda just gave up there.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FF5 also holds up really well. When I first played I thought it was the most anemic of all FFs but after playing it a couple of times in the 4JF I realized it had a lot of things going on for it that I missed.

NikkolasKing posted:

You mean this Hardcore Mod?
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6818.0

I remember enjoying it right up until you start going around doing optional stuff like the Materia Caves. The bosses there were ridiculous. Interesting but ridiculous The boss guarding KOTR for example was determined by your game time. I forget exactly how it works but it was stronger the longer you had put into the game and the more HP you had.

I kinda just gave up there.

Yeah none of them are perfect but in terms of fun I think it had a bit more going for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I love how this thread can careen wildly between "actually all the Final Fantasy games are bad" and "actually all the Final Fantasy games are good" depending on the time of day and who's posting. :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I kept the picture of Ardyn.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

iirc she's pretty sure that the problem is in cloud, since when she first reunited him he was slumped against a lightpost and drooling down his chin until he recognized her, at which point he instantly snapped into a totally unfamiliar personality

she just gets more nervous when he recounts the Nibelheim incident and all the inconsistencies start to pile up

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

wait they mentioned that they were considering scrapping the episodic release thing before? when?

It was possible that when they restarted development that they could have changed the idea of it being episodic but I don't think they ever announced that it was scrapped. Probably why they went to the trouble to reconfirm it's episodic again just so there's no confusion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm in my late 30s and have diabetes and I just kinda realized that there's definitely a non-zero chance of me dying before an episodic FF7Remake (or any FF7Remake really) is completed. Cool fun reminders of mortality from Square Enix

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

It makes sense from a business perspective and developmental. Will be easier to develop, full price for each episode will increase revenue.
Square has always been notoriously slow and Nomura is known as a guy who overambitious is an understatement for him.

Alright what's the bet on the release date? They really are still marketing this for the PS4 and PS5 might be out possibly next year so... Definitely looks like a game that will be dual release, I think if they don't give a release date at E3 it's going to be early 2021 with release date given next year's e3 or at VGA/Sony thing.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I love how this thread can careen wildly between "actually all the Final Fantasy games are bad" and "actually all the Final Fantasy games are good" depending on the time of day and who's posting. :smith:

All Final Fantasies are good and also bad. Being a Final Fantasy fan is like being a Star Trek fan - you don't really love it until you realize and embrace all the flaws.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrNutt posted:

I'm in my late 30s and have diabetes and I just kinda realized that there's definitely a non-zero chance of me dying before an episodic FF7Remake (or any FF7Remake really) is completed. Cool fun reminders of mortality from Square Enix

Take good care of yourself friend.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elentor posted:

On the other hand I don't think anyone's going to look down on you if you'd rather have a beer and a slice of cake instead of sticking around for FF7R.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Whalley posted:

All Final Fantasies are good and also bad. Being a Final Fantasy fan is like being a Star Trek fan - you don't really love it until you realize and embrace all the flaws.

Which FF is Enterprise?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

we'll all be dead before it's done, don't worry

what's hosed is when people growing up now are going to start fighting over when ffvii turned bad, as in, what episode, because it's going to be a series on its own now

we'll need a whole separate sub-thread for fighting over which ffvii is the worst game in the ffvii series. will people hate ffvii viii, or will it be ffvii xiii?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I look forward to LPing all of them in excruciatingly long detail.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Which FF is Enterprise?
9; it's a love letter to nostalgia that a lot of series fans think is hot garbage, it has no real character growth or depth for most of the cast and a lot of missed balls but dammit there's a bunch to enjoy there if you take it as it is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elentor posted:

Thanks, I'm doing as much as the extremely hosed up US healthcare system will allow. As of yet I consider myself fortunate that I have not had to ration insulin or start a gofundme to pay for it. I have a new job with new insurance starting today though so that may change in the near future. :911:

Whalley posted:

This is a pretty good analogy because I am also a Star Trek fan. I think X is my personal Voyager with the difference being that at some point I probably will get around to finishing X.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope it all works out for you and all jokes aside, that you get to see through the horrible FF7 remakes to come.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrNutt posted:

Don't die

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elentor posted:

I hope it all works out for you and all jokes aside, that you get to see through the horrible FF7 remakes to come.

Honestly my biggest fear is that it turns out to be really good but Ep 1 only goes like, halfway through the Midgar sequence, and then SE shitcans the rest of the episodes a la the rest of the XV DLC. What's more likely is that the remake has to severely cut down the scope of the original game and will be disappointing to anyone who enjoyed the hell out of FF7's extremely charming weirdness.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m kind of bracing for whatever’s going to happen with the Wall Market arc whenever the remake reaches it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ulio posted:

Alright what's the bet on the release date? They really are still marketing this for the PS4 and PS5 might be out possibly next year so... Definitely looks like a game that will be dual release, I think if they don't give a release date at E3 it's going to be early 2021 with release date given next year's e3 or at VGA/Sony thing.

Square's last investor report predicted a massive revenue spike in q3 of this year

and there's not much else it could be

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

This is a pretty good analogy because I am also a Star Trek fan. I think X is my personal Voyager with the difference being that at some point I probably will get around to finishing X.

TOS = IV
TNG = VI
DS9 = VII
VOY = XIII
ENT = IX
DIS = VIII

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This seems so much sillier when the music is gone and you don't have that thrill o of finally catching up with Sephiroth after chasing him across a continent.

I hope it's in FFVIIR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Think fast!