Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KoldPT posted:

The questions may or may not have been piratical in nature

I had no idea this was a word, but it makes so much sense that it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012

KoldPT posted:

I once played a windows 95/98 era game that was a trivia game themed around caribbean pirates. The questions may or may not have been piratical in nature, but there definitely was some collecting of pieces of eight involved.

It presumably came in one of those 900 shareware game cds.

Oh, I remember this one! You're definitely talking about Redhook's Revenge

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Bob Morlock posted:

Oh, I remember this one! You're definitely talking about Redhook's Revenge

Got it in one! Thanks!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
A game that's been on the back of my head for a while now:

Early 2000s PC shareware game with a fuzzball main character who starts at one point in a grid and has to walk to an exit, kinda like Chu Chu Rocket's puzzle mode, but instead of arrows there were different objects you placed, I remember laser beams and mirrors in particular, but there were many such tools

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

A browser game(?) where you played as a monster attacking people in a pitch black pit, relying only on the sound design.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
No hopes for this one, but in the early nineties I briefly played some shareware rpg, probably inspired by Wizardry or Bard's Tale.

The only thing I remember clearly were some of the encounters: "You are attacked by 6 hobbits." "You are attacked by 9 gollums."

That plural of Gollum really stuck with me.

Chthon
May 29, 2013

elf help book posted:

A game that's been on the back of my head for a while now:

Early 2000s PC shareware game with a fuzzball main character who starts at one point in a grid and has to walk to an exit, kinda like Chu Chu Rocket's puzzle mode, but instead of arrows there were different objects you placed, I remember laser beams and mirrors in particular, but there were many such tools

Dweep?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

This is totally it, thank you. Wow

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

freeipods posted:

A browser game(?) where you played as a monster attacking people in a pitch black pit, relying only on the sound design.

I assume this is most likely "In the Pit":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcD3vC3Bfn8

It was formerly (circa 2008) available as an Xbox Live Indie Game, and later (~2012) popped up on Steam Greenlight, but now that both of those have been shut down I'm not sure where to get the game, if anywhere. According to that Studio Hunty page the game is a revised version of something they made for a game jam back in 2006, but I haven't had any luck digging that up, either.

The dev's on Twitter, though, so if this is the one you're thinking of I imagine it might be worth asking about.

In the course of googling that, I also came across Be The Wumpus, a Linux game from the same era (and I mean full-on check out the code from Sourceforge with CVS, install extra development libraries, configure/make/make install) that was inspired by ItP. This is probably not the one most of us remembered based on your description, but if anybody's itching to play something like this and doesn't mind jumping through hoops, the code's still available.

I also have to say I'm disappointed this one's "screenshots" section only has one image; if you're going to make the joke, make the joke, man.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Was thinking of something a sibling played once that in my memory resembles something I know exists. Was there ever a clone/port of Monkey King: Master of the Clouds/Cloud Master that ran in B&W mode on Macintosh? I strongly recall them playing a character riding that exact sort of goku cloud.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Rohan Kishibe posted:

There was a game I used to play a couple of years back, probably on android or maybe PC (though I doubt it). I think it was recommended to me here on something awful, so I hope someone recognises my description.

It was a simulator /management game where you controlled a medieval era mercenary company, similar to the strategic layer of xcom or football manager or the diamond dogs parts of MGS5. You hired different types of units like sappers or cavalry to form squads that you sent on different kinds of missions to earn more money, hire better troops and so on. I remember it was all done through menus and had a very brown colour pallet, and I think the name was something Company or Company of something.

I believe it was a Facebook game called The Company, but I can't find it atm

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weird Japanese only PS1 game. Third person RPG with pre-rendered backgrounds not unlike Final Fantasy. The game starred anthro animals in a sort of Disney's Robin Hood style. It was set in space on a weird alien planet. Can't remember anything else about it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Okay, got some tough ones.

Mid-to-late 90s, possibly very early Aughts. This was on a CD-ROM collection of dated Windows games like you might find in an office supply store that doesn't otherwise sell games. It was a pretty generic, easy, side-scrolling SHMUP with 3D-rendered sprite graphics. You wouldn't know it from the gameplay, but the manual or readme file gave it the most edgelord backstory ever.

All of the world's terrorists band together and overthrow the world's governement and set up a new tyrannical worldwide government where the strong prey on the week.
They discover an alien civilization minding its own business and basically invent interstellar travel out of sheer horniness at the idea of spreading tyranny across the stars. You, an up-an-coming vicious killer, lead the vanguard invasion. And that's were the generic SHMUP action starts. None of that was in-game I think until the end where you defeat some giant Grey alien cyborg boss, get a recall order, and decide to push ahead to win more glory. Also I think the generic screen-clearing smart bomb sent them to some void of eternal torment.

Next, a much older top-down SHMUP on DOS. I don't think this could have been later than '92 and was probably much older. Each level would have you approach a big flat capital ship, often brightly colored, and fly over it, with the boss being the bridge or power core. Power ups had some kind of voiceover that sounded almost like a kid.

Similarly ancient side-scrolling turn-based game involving tanks and destructible terrain. You chose the angle you fired at to arc shots. In between levels you'd buy various types of ammo, fuel for movement, and possibly different chassis. The best ammo were the "Death's Head" missiles, which just took a big circular chunk out out of the terrain.

Probably-even-more-ancient turn-based game based on arcing projectiles. Players were little green gorillas on top of skyscrapers who threw exploding bananas at each other, and you actually typed in some kind of numerical instructions about the arc and power. As an Easter egg, you could hit the sun and break it.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 10, 2019

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Probably-even-more-ancient turn-based game based on arcing projectiles. Players were little green gorillas on top of skyscrapers who threw exploding bananas at each other, and you actually typed in some kind of numerical instructions about the arc and power. As an Easter egg, you could hit the sun and break it.

Gorillas.bas

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Second to last is almost certainly Scorched Earth, though it wasn't side-scrolling, it was single-screen.

The last one is Gorilla.bas, an ancient game included with MS-DOS 5.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Golbez posted:

Second to last is almost certainly Scorched Earth, though it wasn't side-scrolling, it was single-screen.

The last one is Gorilla.bas, an ancient game included with MS-DOS 5.

My childhood :swoon:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Yep, those are it! Scorched Earth immediately set off memory alarms.

When I was younger my video game knowledge had to trickle down from my friends whose parents knew computers. I definitely remember playing those before Commander Keen, but apparently they came out at about the same time. I entered kindergarten in '91 while my first best friend, the son of my mom's best friend since high school, started first grade, which was a full day and prevented our scheduled morning play dates. All of the games, except that weird newer first one, where at his house. Oh god, the nostalgia :unsmith:

Also, the first entry for the Scorched Earth game on YouTube is ProJared lol

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 11, 2019

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Scorched Earth was one of the most mimicked/reverse-engineered/ripped-off game concepts of its time, and I'm pretty sure that Scorched Earth itself wasn't the first iteration of the idea either. I owned a copy of an extremely similar (albeit simpler) game on the 2600, and I've played it on an arcade cabinet.

So if you remember your copy having scrolling, it may very well have had scrolling.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

Weird Japanese only PS1 game. Third person RPG with pre-rendered backgrounds not unlike Final Fantasy. The game starred anthro animals in a sort of Disney's Robin Hood style. It was set in space on a weird alien planet. Can't remember anything else about it.

Planet Laika maybe?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Planet Laika maybe?

I can always count on you for this stuff. A quintet game, too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

Okay, got some tough ones.

Mid-to-late 90s, possibly very early Aughts. This was on a CD-ROM collection of dated Windows games like you might find in an office supply store that doesn't otherwise sell games. It was a pretty generic, easy, side-scrolling SHMUP with 3D-rendered sprite graphics. You wouldn't know it from the gameplay, but the manual or readme file gave it the most edgelord backstory ever.

All of the world's terrorists band together and overthrow the world's governement and set up a new tyrannical worldwide government where the strong prey on the week.
They discover an alien civilization minding its own business and basically invent interstellar travel out of sheer horniness at the idea of spreading tyranny across the stars. You, an up-an-coming vicious killer, lead the vanguard invasion. And that's were the generic SHMUP action starts. None of that was in-game I think until the end where you defeat some giant Grey alien cyborg boss, get a recall order, and decide to push ahead to win more glory. Also I think the generic screen-clearing smart bomb sent them to some void of eternal torment.

Is it this one?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/solaris-104

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, here's one:

It's a PC DOS adventure game where you're some kind of detective/investigator in a cyberpunk setting. It is NOT one of the Tex Murphy games, but it probably came out around the same time as the 1st one, so late 80s or maybe early 90s at the latest.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sean10mm posted:

OK, here's one:

It's a PC DOS adventure game where you're some kind of detective/investigator in a cyberpunk setting. It is NOT one of the Tex Murphy games, but it probably came out around the same time as the 1st one, so late 80s or maybe early 90s at the latest.

Rise of the Dragon?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Rise of the Dragon?

Yes!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sean10mm posted:

OK, here's one:

Any more info? Were the graphics CG like Tex Murphy or sprite art? First person, third person? Any combat?

First things that come to mind from that era are Neuromancer, Circuit's Edge, and Rise of the Dragon.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i randomly think of a game that i’m pretty sure existed but can’t remember what it was called and google brings me nothing

90s PC game; probably DOS? it was a racing game. futuristic. pretty sure it was a tube racer. i think you could also shoot like laser balls ahead of you. the only vehicle i remember from the back looked like a blue circle with wings and red stripes on it.

i remember nothing else about this game sorry

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

i randomly think of a game that i’m pretty sure existed but can’t remember what it was called and google brings me nothing

90s PC game; probably DOS? it was a racing game. futuristic. pretty sure it was a tube racer. i think you could also shoot like laser balls ahead of you. the only vehicle i remember from the back looked like a blue circle with wings and red stripes on it.

i remember nothing else about this game sorry

Wild guess: Slipstream 5000?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

IYKK posted:

Wild guess: Slipstream 5000?

nah the vehicles here are too plane-like, i’m looking for something more f-zero esque i believe.

i know i don’t have a lot of detail to go on but this was a while ago lol. going to do some more searching when i can and see if i can come up with anything

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Was it that one with simple 3d shapes and no textures and it had a trail of marks on the ground or wall you could follow for more points or speed or something?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
High Hi-Octane maybe?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not Wipeout?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollcage?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Tunnel B1?

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
Spectre / Spectre VR?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I feel like he might be referring to the arcade game STUN RUNNER and his brain mixed the memories, maybe?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

High Hi-Octane maybe?

Chairchucker posted:

Not Wipeout?

al-azad posted:

Rollcage?

Jinkeez posted:

Spectre / Spectre VR?

nope, none of these, sorry.

Flannelette posted:

Was it that one with simple 3d shapes and no textures and it had a trail of marks on the ground or wall you could follow for more points or speed or something?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I feel like he might be referring to the arcade game STUN RUNNER and his brain mixed the memories, maybe?

seems like you two are talking about the same game? in which case, this is definitely warmer on the hot/cold spectrum. from what my memory serves it was a tube-style racing game where turning wasn't really up to you and you just had to loop around the screen to avoid obstacles. i really only remember one vehicle, which was blue falcon f-zero esque but more rounded i guess, and it believe the vehicles flew rather than being close to the ground. i also don't remember the framerate being too great but i mean who knows

it wasn't stun runner, though; and it was definitely a PC game. i didn't really have access to arcades as a kid and i remember having to boot it up through either a command prompt or through DOS.

fwiw, and this is almost entirely unhelpful, i remember getting the game at the same time as an al unser jr racing game; so the future racing game i'm thinking of may have come out around the same time?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Mega Race?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

nope, none of these, sorry.

seems like you two are talking about the same game? in which case, this is definitely warmer on the hot/cold spectrum. from what my memory serves it was a tube-style racing game where turning wasn't really up to you and you just had to loop around the screen to avoid obstacles. i really only remember one vehicle, which was blue falcon f-zero esque but more rounded i guess, and it believe the vehicles flew rather than being close to the ground. i also don't remember the framerate being too great but i mean who knows

it wasn't stun runner, though; and it was definitely a PC game. i didn't really have access to arcades as a kid and i remember having to boot it up through either a command prompt or through DOS.

fwiw, and this is almost entirely unhelpful, i remember getting the game at the same time as an al unser jr racing game; so the future racing game i'm thinking of may have come out around the same time?

I know it's not that, but for some reason you're reminding me of a Net Yaroze game called Between The Eyes, but if it was that you'd probably remember the headaches

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is it CyberSpeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDanfDIBhbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nah, too car-like

no, i didn't have a playstation as a kid; but this is DEFINITELY the closest thing so far, this general style of gameplay.

EDIT:

Serperoth posted:

I know it's not that, but for some reason you're reminding me of a Net Yaroze game called Between The Eyes, but if it was that you'd probably remember the headaches

:barf: