Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I still like the podcast. :shobon: They are obnoxious on certain subjects, and wrong on a lot, but I dig how they talk to each other, most of the content, and lots of their completely irrelevant rambles are fun.

:same:

They're still the best general "shoot the poo poo" podcast around imo. The ridiculous length is impressive in itself, and great commute killer. Whatever they get wrong is 90% of the time not worth getting worked up about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Neo_Crimson posted:

:same:

They're still the best general "shoot the poo poo" podcast around imo. The ridiculous length is impressive in itself, and great commute killer. Whatever they get wrong is 90% of the time not worth getting worked up about.

no look its very important to me that everyone talks correctly about anime

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no look its very important to me that everyone talks correctly about anime

dragon ball is very important

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Andrast posted:

dragon ball is very important

Im still kinda stunned a dude thought "Look at how big his number is" is not the funniest summary of DB ever

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Im still kinda stunned a dude thought "Look at how big his number is" is not the funniest summary of DB ever

It is not

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wasn't joking about Dragon Ball being very important :colbert:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

"look how big his number is" is hilariously reductive take that is used by people who don't like a thing to own the people who do, and the best friends continue to apply it in literally the dumbest contexts, so it's no surprise it grates on a lot of people's nerves.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I like DB and also like look how big the number is

Having a sense of humor about the weaknesses in a story's writing is not "owning" the fans

The entire narrative arc of Super is "which color will Goku turn next?"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That Broly segment was Pat repeating the same tired joke 10 or 12 times while Woolie tried to explain the thing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maybe if it wasn't one of three jokes most people tell about DBZ it would be funnier.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Roth posted:

Maybe if it wasn't one of three jokes most people tell about DBZ it would be funnier.

maybe if Toriyama could come up with a second plot it would stop being joked about

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's just shonen tho, it's one of the classical genres and therefore has very specific elements attached to it. Tragedy, Comedy and Shonen. The Big Numbers are the Hybris.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

For someone who likes DB you sure do get defensive about people who don't like tired jokes about the things they like.

I suggest getting a treatment for an acute case of Stage 3 Irony Poisoning.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dias posted:

That's just shonen tho, it's one of the classical genres and therefore has very specific elements attached to it. Tragedy, Comedy and Shonen. The Big Numbers are the Hybris.

I just want to point out this is a very funny post and it made me laugh

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Mel, I think people are way more annoyed about you not being able to drop the subject than being overly defensive about Their Animes, and I'm saying this as someone is who doesn't get really mad about Woolie or Pat being wrong about things, but that's just my read of things :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

BaDandy posted:

You mean people DON'T just listen to the youtube clips of the coherent stuff? :confused:

Welcome to why the thread is like it is.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

please tell me one single thing that happens in dragonball that lets goku beat the new villain other than he squeeze real hard and he number go up

sometimes when the number go up he hair changes

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there was that time goku beat vegeta by dropping a giant baby on him

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Wonder when puberty will hit japanese goku.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

When Nozawa dies and has to be inevitably replaced it better be with another woman.

Never let the quintessential ideal of punchmans be voiced by a man.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Indecisive posted:

please tell me one single thing that happens in dragonball that lets goku beat the new villain other than he squeeze real hard and he number go up

Gohan beat cell :colbert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

One time Goku beat a villain by summoning god to erase an entire universe.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Indecisive posted:

goku sacrifices himself so the other dude can get the kill, a fat dude shows up and slices his enemy's tail, hulk hogan begs the earth to fuel a magical nuclear bomb to deal with the threat, goku's naivete lets his omnipotent friend show up to delete giygas and an entire universe, goku has to team up with his most iconic villain to finally take the threat out

there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dragon ball actually has surprisingly few situations where Goku straight up beats the bad guy

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 10, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Frankly, for as much of a Numbers Go Up series as DB is, a lot of the time Goku's powerup is either useless or at best just somewhat relevant when it comes to defeating the main villain. Sometimes he doesn't even defeat the antagonist, he just kinda eats poo poo or has to settle for a tie.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Super ends with Goku getting a crazy powerful power up in order to fight Jiren, then he loses, then he finally beats him in a three on one fight where he was too exhausted to even go regular Super Saiyan.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Super ends with Goku getting a crazy powerful power up in order to fight Jiren, then he loses, then he finally beats him in a three on one fight where he was too exhausted to even go regular Super Saiyan.

and 17 got a boat

(also the universe might have been saved but who cares)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Indecisive posted:

Goku as a child plummets himself through a demon man by using the speed and power that firing a beam AWAY from him grants and punches a hole through him

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Broly movie specifically makes the numbers irrelevant, get outta here

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hell the memetically iconic sequence in DBZ of Goku going Super Saiyan 3 Goku doesn't even win that fight, he used up all his energy that was supposed to be spent bumming around Earth and hanging out for a day in one hour on a big-rear end fight and he didn't even win that fight.

Also the spirit bomb and its hilariously long charge time literally never worked except for the time Hercule/Mr. Satan convinced Earth to do Goku a solid and power it up.

It's honestly pretty remarkable how often 'number go up' doesn't actually work in DBZ (and obviously numbers aren't even a thing in Dragon Ball proper) so really the entire take is a dumb joke based on people half-remembering it as one of the first anime they ever watched.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 10, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhonne posted:

Can't really consider that Goku beating him, Goku and Freeza tied with him as all three of them were eliminated. They just had an extra teammate.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Awful lot of DBZ talk in here for a podcast that isn’t All Systems Goku. Pat and Woolie aren’t anime experts after all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Warbird posted:

Awful lot of DBZ talk in here for a podcast that isn’t All Systems Goku. Pat and Woolie aren’t anime experts after all.

I want All Systems Goku to continue.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like watching Lythero streams.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martins-last-two-books-a/1100-6466841/

OH NOW THE BOOKS ARE COMING OUT HUH!? :livintrope:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

too bad i stopped caring in like... 2012?

jesus

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lol those books will.never happen

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The update in the article confirms that, Martin made a blog post disputing the claim saying book 6 isn't done and he won't start 7 until the next one's done.

If he doesn't die maybe I can get the last book as a retirement gift.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Monathin posted:

Hell the memetically iconic sequence in DBZ of Goku going Super Saiyan 3 Goku doesn't even win that fight, he used up all his energy that was supposed to be spent bumming around Earth and hanging out for a day in one hour on a big-rear end fight and he didn't even win that fight.

Also the spirit bomb and its hilariously long charge time literally never worked except for the time Hercule/Mr. Satan convinced Earth to do Goku a solid and power it up.

It's honestly pretty remarkable how often 'number go up' doesn't actually work in DBZ (and obviously numbers aren't even a thing in Dragon Ball proper) so really the entire take is a dumb joke based on people half-remembering it as one of the first anime they ever watched.

'Numbers go up' only really seems to matter so far as why people can't fight the new threat. Nail's whatever power level of 25,000 or whatever it is that he has as Frieza's tearing an arm off, no one being able to damage Broly at any point, Nappa tearing through everyone till Goku arrives, Recoome nearly doing the same and nearly killing Vegeta, etc.

Basically it's pretty much like an RPG and if you're fighting someone 40 levels above you then you don't do any damage so that's about the best I can tell that 'numbers go up' is relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ikJqgqG5c

Gigabotch