Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

God, I want to visit the Gundam Base in Japan so badly.

It's a trip. I'll forever treasure my lifesize Haro filled with gashapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Azubah posted:

Finished the Sinanju Stein NT, it's pretty cool for a HG. Just about the only thing I didn't like was that it's a bitch for it to hold the bazooka.

Such a great HG kit. It's almost a RG in terms of detail. Kind of an in between grade.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Of potential interest -

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I will buy it. I will buy every variant, I don't care if I have to pay P-Bandai prices. They will all be mine

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'd like warhammer style weapon packs thankyou very much.

Or some of the dreadnoughts, those were the tits for 15 year old me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No Chaos Space Marine, no sale

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's about time, Space Marine armor is the Western Zaku.

Lots of variants, looks great in an action pose, big shoulder armor, immediately recognizable emblem of space fascists

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Taintrunner posted:

No Chaos Space Marine, no sale

- chop up some spare sprus
- toss them in a cardboard box
- spray glue randomly on the Marine
- throw Marine into box of sprus
- shake box vigorously
- remove CSM from box
-apply skulls to taste

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Zark the Damned posted:

Of potential interest -

I was interested until I dug deeper and saw that it's going to be an action figure, not a model kit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think another company already does Space Marine model kits.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Paper Kaiju posted:

I was interested until I dug deeper and saw that it's going to be an action figure, not a model kit.

So S.H. Figurearts? That would still be pretty cool though. touch expensive to use as gaming pieces though.

edit: from looking at the sources, sizing seems to be a "Metal Robot Spirits" size. So probably > $100usd.

Wibbleman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 10, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zark the Damned posted:

Of potential interest -

I will buy the P-Bandai beakie.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
An action figure, not a kit? Wasted potential.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
I need to look at Midtown Comics. I used to walk by it but never went in so I didn't know they had gunpla stuff. Hazel II just popped onto my radar so I'll have to pick that up soon. One of these days whenever I wander back into Manhattan. I miss working in midtown :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just realized, people unfamiliar with Warhammer might not be aware of what Bandai could do with that one mold. Here is a partial list of different colorschemes that would make great P-Bandai releases

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i was idly thinking 'surely they wouldn't go that far' before i remembered the rx-78 variants coloured after the various baseball teams

and the 40 maganac p-bandai pack

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
That space marine chart, except with Astray red frame variants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

I just realized, people unfamiliar with Warhammer might not be aware of what Bandai could do with that one mold. Here is a partial list of different colorschemes that would make great P-Bandai releases

Iirc with the way Games Workshop goes, wouldn't they just make an Ultramarine version and then tell everyone to get hosed or paint their own?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

its probably good for GW that it's an action figure and not a plamo because putting a bandai engineered kit in a GW store would be embarrassing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a Fin Funnel extension pack for the RG Nu Gundam..

P-Bandai, of course, but you know someone's going to burn a shitload of money to make The Fin Ring...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Paragon8 posted:

its probably good for GW that it's an action figure and not a plamo because putting a bandai engineered kit in a GW store would be embarrassing

That and the action figure price markups would make it line up more with the ridiculous price schemes GW cooks up for their model lines. Gunpla kits are downright bargains compared to Warhammer model boxes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Paragon8 posted:

Bandai and Games Workshop make different kinds of models. GW just showed off their new giant robot kit, and it's hard to imagine Bandai coming out with something like this

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow how many Gunpla goons here are in NYC? We should do a meetup/build-up I’m sure there’s a place that would let us drink beers and build HGs in the city

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

That and the action figure price markups would make it line up more with the ridiculous price schemes GW cooks up for their model lines. Gunpla kits are downright bargains compared to Warhammer model boxes.

Yeah it'd be hard to reconcile an RG level kit at a RG price next to single pose plastic models pushing over 100 bucks.

Gripweed posted:

Bandai and Games Workshop make different kinds of models. GW just showed off their new giant robot kit, and it's hard to imagine Bandai coming out with something like this

Which is why it would be exciting if Bandai engineered something with 40k aesthetics because they're able to deliver on cost and complexity in a way that GW is only just starting to approach. Obviously they're intended for different markets b/c I imagine the cost and design of a gunpla kit isn't sustainable to produce across a gaming range but a 1/12 plamo space marine at an MG price would be super rad.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 11, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

it's hard to imagine Bandai coming out with something like this

Yeah, because it looks like garbage.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Wow how many Gunpla goons here are in NYC? We should do a meetup/build-up I’m sure there’s a place that would let us drink beers and build HGs in the city

I can't think of anyone who actively sells kits and has tables. Maybe those cafes where they have boardgames?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I was thinking like a bar or something. I have more than enough in my backlog to bring my own.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

At work we usually choose someone's house every now and then for out gunpla building meetings, provided there's enough room.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

At work we usually choose someone's house every now and then for out gunpla building meetings, provided there's enough room.

This can be more of a challenge in New York City than you imagine.

I've had some success setting up in a food court, bar, or restaurant. A few things to keep in mind:

- put down a tablecloth, newspaper, or other covering so the plastic shards are contained.
- clean up afterwards, including sweeping the floor.
- have cutting mats, magazines, or some other pad so you don't damage the table if you are cutting or pressing against it (some soft finishes can be scratched with a fingernail).
- don't do any gluing, painting, or marking without a table cover. Avoid strong-smelling chemicals in general. I wouldn't try to paint in a restaurant.
- have a closing box for your tools and only have out what you're actively using. People walking by will grab anything on the table.
- some places will really hate hobby knives; if they object to your x-acto thank them and leave because what you don't want is someone calling the cops when "a bunch of guys with knives out are scaring kids and refusing to leave the store."
- you will get some casual interest, especially if you have large or brightly colored kits that are near completion. These people will definitely ask questions and probably touch, pick up, or otherwise interfere with your building. You're usually better off being polite, but in bars especially you will eventually attract pests who will relentlessly gently caress with you. You can try to confront them, but you're usually better off just putting your kits and tools away until they get bored and go bother someone else.
- kids can also be challenging to handle, especially if they start grabbing stuff from the table. If you have sharp tools out, make sure you control them if kids approach the table.
- have a steady stream of orders coming to the table, ideally 1-2 items per person per hour. If the place is dead you can stay there indefinitely, but if it starts to fill up you have to be worth the space or they'll ask you to free up the table. Your choices then are to escalate your spending or depart, and unless everyone at the table is buying a meal every 90 minutes the restaurant is losing money by keeping you around. Bars and cafes are easier to hang at, just keep the drinks coming.
- don't forget to tip. If you want to do this regularly at a place you want to become the group that never causes problems and brings in some money to the place.
- don't start fights with anyone, especially store staff. If they ask you to do something do it, if it doesn't work for you anymore then it's time to leave.

You may have to shop around a bit to find a place that will accommodate you. If you know a manager or owner, talk to them up front to see if there's a problem with hobby knives or taking up a table for 3-4 hours.

If you have private karaoke rooms available those can be really good for this. Food courts are a tradeoff; you have infinite hang time for the price of a soda but way more exposure to drive by fuckery.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Sounds like The Uncommons would be a good place to start since they'd already be used to a lot of that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I play X-wing at Zeppelin Hall in Jersey City not far from PATH. As long as we're buying drinks or food they wouldn't have a problem with us.

I could talk to the guy who runs Maplewood Hobby, there's gotta be a bus line that runs that way.

Whatever the case if it's Manhattan or Jersey I would be down for a Goonpla meetup.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
Io Goonplas,

Looks like your shining, plastic talons have captured another victim. I'll be joining all y'all in this modeling madness starting with this wing-ed lass:

I'll share pics once it's complete in the next week or so (in awesomely ridiculous poses, of course).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

krinklechip posted:

Io Goonplas,

Looks like your shining, plastic talons have captured another victim. I'll be joining all y'all in this modeling madness starting with this wing-ed lass:

I'll share pics once it's complete in the next week or so (in awesomely ridiculous poses, of course).

Oooh, now there's an old HG kit. Looks pretty solid though with good parts separation, polycaps in all the joints, and not too many stickers (Looked it up on Dalong as I was curious).

Also hold onto this URL for when you're done building it, it's an instruction page for the kit your one is a variant of. Being a variant of another kit means reused runners and surplus parts, and it looks like you've got the rifle and wrist-mounted gatling gun (minus the actual wrist shield) of the original CGUE kit you can put together as well if you like, including the "gun-holding" hand.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Gripweed posted:

That and going by the other Knights those are likely to be about £90.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Got around to buildin this:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Love that Destiny kit, it's a fun build.

I'm working on the RG Sazabi and it's a big boy. Compared to the RG Z'Gok.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azubah posted:

Love that Destiny kit, it's a fun build.

I'm working on the RG Sazabi and it's a big boy. Compared to the RG Z'Gok.

"Nothing to see here, move along!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've got my RX 78-2 next to Star Burning, and now I'm having an anxiety attack because I can't tell if the RX's colours have been faded by sunlight (they live on my desk at work) of if Star Burning is just more vibrant. Here they are in identical lighting conditions - can anyone reassure me if things are okay or not?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Deleter posted:

I've got my RX 78-2 next to Star Burning, and now I'm having an anxiety attack because I can't tell if the RX's colours have been faded by sunlight (they live on my desk at work) of if Star Burning is just more vibrant. Here they are in identical lighting conditions - can anyone reassure me if things are okay or not?

Rotate the RX 78-2 around and see if there are differences in color on a given piece (like the blue chest piece) at different angles. That will tell you right there if there's any fading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
There isn't anything noticeable - I took the backpack off and I can't seem to identify any issues. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Edit: haha, still not satisfied anything's okay but it might be my dumbass brain telling me everything's wrong. I'll do more checks tomorrow. I have had it for about a year now so I suppose I should expect some level of wear.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 13, 2019