Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So my period was a little late and the app I use to track it said this was my longest cycle since July, a couple months after I came off of birth control. When I changed out my panty liner the other day, I noticed just a faint bit of pink, which I had never had at the start of a period before, but no bleeding since. I had a bunch of pregnancy tests kicking around from when I bulk ordered some ovulation strips.

Morning urine, followed instructions... Positive result.

The instructions say to repeat the test in 48 hours, so I guess I’ll have to wait until Monday to see if it was a false positive or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Update on the sleep deprivation: I only had 45 minutes of sleep for two days prior to our first clinic appointment and couldn’t stop crying constantly. My emotions were SO intense and I felt absolutely miserable. They told me to take some Unisom and not worry about my milk supply, and use some of my stored stuff from using the haakaa and let my husband feed her, just so I could sleep and reset. (BTW The haakaa is amazing for catching letdown and starting a stash before initiating pumping.) They gave us a foley sip cup, my husband used that and syringes to get a feed in, and I slept for three hours.

It’s been getting better. He watches her into the late night and does one feeding while I sleep, then we both try to sleep with her in the cradle until I get up in the morning. They say to sleep when your baby sleeps but I’ve never been able to nap, I can’t turn off my brain.

Still feeling weepy and down but I’m only crying 2-3 times a day now instead of constantly. I’ve never been a crier so this is a weird experience for me. Doing some research about PPD medications and strongly considering starting Zoloft at my next appointment.

She is two weeks old tomorrow and I love her so much.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Koivunen posted:

Update on the sleep deprivation:

(Snip)

They say to sleep when your baby sleeps but I’ve never been able to nap, I can’t turn off my brain.

Still feeling weepy and down but I’m only crying 2-3 times a day now instead of constantly. I’ve never been a crier so this is a weird experience for me. Doing some research about PPD medications and strongly considering starting Zoloft at my next appointment.

She is two weeks old tomorrow and I love her so much.

I remember this so well. I was never able to sleep during the day and went into a sleep deprivation spiral. I remember googling ‘how to sleep when baby sleeps’ because it didn’t work for my brain. I also remember the constant weeping.

It gets better, and it gets easier. Well done getting help early and getting your husband to help out.

I can now sleep during the day, so that’s something new that developed over time for me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had so many issues with my first one personally. I wonder if it was partially because of how sleep deprived I was and breast feeding didn't work out for me unexpectedly but I kept trying for 2 months. The second one we bottle fed from the start and had a sleep plan in place and I felt great. I don't know if its experience / each pregnancy birth is different / etc. Human bodies are so strange.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
In the first couple weeks whenever someone would tell me “oh just sleep when the baby sleeps it’s easy” I would tell them to gently caress off. Because even if I could sleep, as soon as, and I really do mean right exactly the second I fell asleep, she would cry. Doesn’t matter if it took me 5 seconds to fall asleep or 10 minutes. She sensed the relaxation from me and instantly woke up. It was pure hell from week 7 after husband went back to work (he works nights so I was blessed with sleep for 6 weeks) until she started sleeping in very large blocks at night at 13 weeks.

I am glad you are looking at Zoloft and I hope it works for you. It made a huge difference from me. I don’t want to share my experience here where it will be on record forever, but it was bad. Zoloft helped immensely.

Balogna Head
Oct 3, 2013

I'm starting to worry that farts may never not be hilarious.
Who wants to talk about... vulvar varicosities?!

Aka varicose veins of the vulva. Anyone else have one or more? How are you managing/treating it?

I use the sitz bath occasionally but find it uncomfortable. The best thing would be if I could buy a vulvar support belt locally (V2 Supporter). As it is if I order one off Amazon, it'll cost $50 to ship and might not arrive until after my due date. :(

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Nessa posted:

So my period was a little late and the app I use to track it said this was my longest cycle since July, a couple months after I came off of birth control. When I changed out my panty liner the other day, I noticed just a faint bit of pink, which I had never had at the start of a period before, but no bleeding since. I had a bunch of pregnancy tests kicking around from when I bulk ordered some ovulation strips.

Morning urine, followed instructions... Positive result.

The instructions say to repeat the test in 48 hours, so I guess I’ll have to wait until Monday to see if it was a false positive or not.
False positives for pregnancy tests are very rare.

Some drugs are known to cause false positives but if you're not on any of those I think you have your answer.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Balogna Head posted:

Who wants to talk about... vulvar varicosities?!

Aka varicose veins of the vulva. Anyone else have one or more? How are you managing/treating it?

I use the sitz bath occasionally but find it uncomfortable. The best thing would be if I could buy a vulvar support belt locally (V2 Supporter). As it is if I order one off Amazon, it'll cost $50 to ship and might not arrive until after my due date. :(

Where are you located? There might be a local stockist that can ship sooner.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Lacey posted:

False positives for pregnancy tests are very rare.

Some drugs are known to cause false positives but if you're not on any of those I think you have your answer.

Yup. I had 2 more positive tests on Sunday and Monday. Currently at the lab about to get a blood test for confirmation. Then more blood tests 48 hours apart.

At least my hypothyroidism has gotten me a little more used to blood tests so I don’t freak out now like I used to a year ago.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Nessa posted:

Yup. I had 2 more positive tests on Sunday and Monday. Currently at the lab about to get a blood test for confirmation. Then more blood tests 48 hours apart.

At least my hypothyroidism has gotten me a little more used to blood tests so I don’t freak out now like I used to a year ago.

That’s ... a lot of things to confirm a pregnancy.... is that normal? All my doctor did was give me the same pee test that I did at home. I asked for blood work and they refused (VA hospital) and then wrote some poo poo in my record that she thinks I’m asking for blood work because I want to have an abortion. I did complain and I have a new doctor outside of the VA who was wonderful and amazing during my pregnancy and still continues to be. :)

Sarah fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 30, 2019

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

It’s not too uncommon for two consecutive blood pregnancy tests to be done, especially if someone has underlying conditions that can make pregnancy more difficult to maintain or if there were infertility issues.

Currently at 40w3d and looking like I’m shoplifting a beach ball everywhere I go. Being mostly wrapped up at work but still showing up is extremely awkward, but I’m committed to taking leave as late as possible :911:

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Yeah, I’m hitting a point (35 weeks exactly, today) where I would love to go on leave early because physically I just feel like poo poo all day, but I’m trying to conserve all of the time I have to spend with the kid. I have awful heartburn even though I’m taking 300mg of Zantac a day, everything aches, I can’t sleep... I can only imagine how much more uncomfortable you must be right now.

Actually, has this happened to anyone else — when I’m trying to go to sleep, if I lay on my left side, I start burping. Not actively trying to burp, but like, gas will just come up from my stomach with a croaking frog noise. As far as I can tell it doesn’t actually stop, either. It doesn’t happen if I’m laying on my right side, weirdly enough, but it’s not comfortable to lay in the same position all night. I’ve tried keeping my head elevated (three pillows almost vertical!) but it doesn’t really help. And it drives my husband completely insane so I can’t even suffer through it on my left side.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sarah posted:

That’s ... a lot of things to confirm a pregnancy.... is that normal? All my doctor did was give me the same pee test that I did at home. I asked for blood work and they refused (VA hospital) and then wrote some poo poo in my record that she thinks I’m asking for blood work because I want to have an abortion. I did complain and I have a new doctor outside of the VA who was wonderful and amazing during my pregnancy and still continues to be. :)

Well, it may be different in my case because I do have hypothyroidism, so my medication is going to have the be adjusted as well. Pregnancy is hard on the thyroid and hypothyroidism in early pregnancy can cause severe birth defects.

The lady on the phone said the 3 tests were to check to make sure my hormone levels were rising at the rate that they should. I first visited my Ob Gyn back in October because I thought I needed surgery after an HSG test showed that both of my tubes were blocked. That was a different Ob Gyn who booked me for an ultrasound and an HSG test a week after coming in with the problem of painful sex and without asking a single question about said painful sex.

I later found out from a friend that the Ob Gyn I saw was notorious and to not let him perform surgery on me. I took the advice and went to a different doctor who only wanted me to have surgery if I had tried unsuccessfully for 6 months to conceive.

Anyway, my coworker told me she suspected I was pregnant the other day, but I don’t really feel any different yet beyond a couple minutes of lightheadedness and not much of an appetite.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Nessa posted:

Well, it may be different in my case because I do have hypothyroidism, so my medication is going to have the be adjusted as well. Pregnancy is hard on the thyroid and hypothyroidism in early pregnancy can cause severe birth defects.

The lady on the phone said the 3 tests were to check to make sure my hormone levels were rising at the rate that they should. I first visited my Ob Gyn back in October because I thought I needed surgery after an HSG test showed that both of my tubes were blocked. That was a different Ob Gyn who booked me for an ultrasound and an HSG test a week after coming in with the problem of painful sex and without asking a single question about said painful sex.

I later found out from a friend that the Ob Gyn I saw was notorious and to not let him perform surgery on me. I took the advice and went to a different doctor who only wanted me to have surgery if I had tried unsuccessfully for 6 months to conceive.

Anyway, my coworker told me she suspected I was pregnant the other day, but I don’t really feel any different yet beyond a couple minutes of lightheadedness and not much of an appetite.

Ohhhhh gotcha.

Some people just know when someone is pregnant. My grandmother has a weird sense of someone in the family expecting. The day before I called and told anyone she called my cousin to tell him she needed the bassinet back to get ready for the next great grandchild coming. It’s been the same thing with all of my cousins. When she calls wanting it back, she knows there’s another on the way.

When I was barely a month along people I’d never met knew. It’s kinda creepy.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
The day my second baby implanted I knew I'd successfully conceived because virtually instantly my sense of smell went up to level 1000. I knew the day of implantation because I was aware of the time of ovulation from ultrasound tracking. People all looked at me funny because the moment I noticed the super sense of smell I said something stupid out loud like "anyone else smell THAT?" and the whole office turned to look at me like they just knew. So maybe the sixth sense others seem to have is just noticing you being a bit different to usual but exactly like every pregnant person ever, heh.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I'm 37 weeks, last day at work will be this Friday, induction scheduled 5/12. Let's gooooo

marchantia fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 1, 2019

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
My wife and I just had a baby, and boy is it really really hard. But I wanted to share that I'm grateful for this thread. I didn't post in it, but I read the entire thing during her pregnancy and I think it's left me a lot more prepared than I otherwise would be, learning from everyone's experiences.

Now time to read all 300+ pages of the parenting thread!

Edit: Any tips for figuring out if it's gas that's causing her to be so fussy all the time, and if so, how to address it?

Time Trial fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 5, 2019

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Time Trial posted:

My wife and I just had a baby, and boy is it really really hard. But I wanted to share that I'm grateful for this thread. I didn't post in it, but I read the entire thing during her pregnancy and I think it's left me a lot more prepared than I otherwise would be, learning from everyone's experiences.

Now time to read all 300+ pages of the parenting thread!

Edit: Any tips for figuring out if it's gas that's causing her to be so fussy all the time, and if so, how to address it?

I figured out with mine that if the fuss stopped immediately from being elevated or on her tummy then it was gas. After a few burps I would rest her on my lap on her tummy to get the remainder out.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Probiotic drops really helped us, we still use them at 6 months. We use the BioGaia one

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Good call on the tummy thing, I do notice she calms down sometimes when I put her on it. We'll look into gripe water too, seems at this point, her being so early, probiotics might not help much, though probably wouldn't hurt to try?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Our baby is a week old today!

I ended up with a different birth than I’d imagined, but I’m happy with my choices. I opted to induce to avoid infection after my water broke at 40w5d ga. I also decided to go for an epidural after 7 hours of labor. I’d worked a full shift earlier in the day, and was getting too tired to deal with the pain safely- almost fell off the birthing ball in between contractions- and I feel that being able to rest made labor and pushing so much easier. I was still able to move ok in bed and feel birthing cues.

Our little one had trouble with her first breath, which was absolutely terrifying, but the teams were right there and she was suctioned and crying properly in a flash. The hospital was really supportive of skin to skin, rooming in, and breastfeeding, and all three of us are coping surprisingly well at home.

After my losses and infertility testing/surgery, it was a really rocky and upsetting road to get here, but I’m so so so grateful to have this little girl in our lives and for the people who helped make that happen.

To end with a question- does anyone have a recommendation for nursing/postpartum clothes? I feel like a milk goblin and nothing fits.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I pretty much wore my pregnancy clothes for the first month until I felt things were going back to what they should be.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah pregnancy clothes, nursing bras, pumping bra if you need it.

Also congrats!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Congratulations!!!

I wore big white T-shirt’s and pajama bottoms 24/7. I found cheap white shirts were easiest to get milk leaks out of and if they don’t come out just toss them after you’re not feeling so much like a milk goblin.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Congrats! Glad everything went well.

I’ve been living in nursing tank tops for the last three weeks. Target has a nice one that’s super stretchy and has built in cups, it’s “women’s nursing seamless cami - Auden” on the website if you’re interested. I ended up buying three of them because I like them so much. The tank and either a flannel shirt or zip up sweatshirt have been convenient and comfortable.

More product recommendations: Bamboobies washable nursing pads are soft and comfortable. Boob Ease nipple balm has been great for my chapped nips and it’s lanolin free if you’re concerned about that (I just don’t like lanolin because it smells bad). The haakaa is awesome at collecting letdown while nursing and getting a little extra off if you don’t feel like pumping. I was able to save and freeze a bunch of milk during the first two weeks while my supply was getting established and I wasn’t using my pump.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We had our kid yesterday and everyone is doing well. I was induced for high BP suddenly at my 38 week appointment and am still on a mag drip until 24 hrs after birth (11 pm tonight). Thankfully I'm tolerating it well, but it's been nearly 48 hrs since I've eaten anything at this point. After a bit of uncontrollable sobbing (me, because of her) after a very long labor moving to the postpartum floor at 2 AM, we are doing alright. I'm trying to catch sleep when I can, but hourly checks due to the magnesium makes that tricky. Will be glad to be done with that.

Breastfeeding seems to be going well (she peed so she's getting some colostrum at least) but my nipples are apparently pretty sensitive. It's been getting a little better over time as my brain starts to figure out that it isn't an emergency pain to freak out about. Still feels like my soul is being sucked out my nips. Have been diligent in lubing up and keeping the chafe guards on for now.

After all our infertility struggles I can't believe we finally have this baby. Very happy but overwhelmed with feelings...which seems to be not unexpected.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Congrats, and remember all of your feelings are valid, expected or not.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m just about 7 weeks along now. Won’t have my first prenatal visit until 12 weeks though.

Had some mildly sharp cramping in my lower right abdomen last night and this morning. Lasted about 20 minutes to half an hour. Is this pretty normal? I don’t want to call my doctor if it’s a normal pregnancy thing.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
I had cramping during the first trimester of both my pregnancies, I think it’s pretty normal since your uterus is starting to grow to accommodate baby and placenta. Unless you’re in excruciating pain and/or bleeding I wouldn’t worry about it :)

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
That sounds like round ligament pain. I had that intermittently on the right through the first and second trimesters.

My little girl is one month old today. Unreal. The love bond keeps getting stronger every day. I started Zoloft two weeks ago and it’s made a huge difference. I was worried about being on an SSRI while breastfeeding, but I researched the heck out of it and felt the benefits outweighed the very minimal risks. I am so glad I went on it. Because I’m feeling less anxious and a lot more positive, I feel like I’m being a better mom.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ElScorcho posted:

I had cramping during the first trimester of both my pregnancies, I think it’s pretty normal since your uterus is starting to grow to accommodate baby and placenta. Unless you’re in excruciating pain and/or bleeding I wouldn’t worry about it :)

Good to know. I just started to worry a little when it came back this morning.

I’ve been getting tingly hands at work again. I had a case of Tenosynovitis and tennis elbow last year and it feels like it’s come back. Dunno if it’s pregnancy related. Though I suppose it could also be thyroid related. I just got a script refilled for synthroid and my doctor gave me paperwork to get blood work done to see if my dose needs to be raised at all yet. Reading about how untreated hypothyroidism can cause birth defects kind of makes me want to keep on top checking my TSH levels. I’m just not sure how frequently I should get my blood work done.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Nessa posted:

I’ve been getting tingly hands at work again. I had a case of Tenosynovitis and tennis elbow last year and it feels like it’s come back. Dunno if it’s pregnancy related. Though I suppose it could also be thyroid related. I just got a script refilled for synthroid and my doctor gave me paperwork to get blood work done to see if my dose needs to be raised at all yet. Reading about how untreated hypothyroidism can cause birth defects kind of makes me want to keep on top checking my TSH levels. I’m just not sure how frequently I should get my blood work done.

Definitely talk to your doctor about it. I had a weird mystery tingling/soreness in my right shoulder blade for all of my 1st and 2nd trimester that has gone away in my 3rd and was just one of those weird pregnancy things. But if you think it's due to another cause and you can verify it then it can't hurt to keep an eye on it however often your doctor recommends!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

After almost two weeks of Zofran and Diclegis keeping the nausea mostly at bay (I will discount the time where I ate plain rice too fast, started hiccupping, and then the hiccups started bringing up rice with each hic), I'm having a terrible nausea day again. I'm 19 weeks today, and I'd been really putting a lot of emotional weight on "most women are through with hyperemesis by 20 weeks", apparently.

meanwhile I have to call the hospital to work out a payment plan for my ER visit (I thought I had a UTI and my OB's office said ":supaburn: go to ER nowwww!") while trying not to make gagging noises into the phone...

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

watchoutitsabear posted:

Definitely talk to your doctor about it. I had a weird mystery tingling/soreness in my right shoulder blade for all of my 1st and 2nd trimester that has gone away in my 3rd and was just one of those weird pregnancy things. But if you think it's due to another cause and you can verify it then it can't hurt to keep an eye on it however often your doctor recommends!

Well, my doctor didn’t recommend anything. Just gave me the paperwork for a blood test and sent me on my way. My obstetrician will be the one taking care of my pregnancy and when I last spoke to him, he wanted to also be sent my lab results in case he needed to refer me to an endocrinologist.

My thyroid levels were stable when I last had them checked in January, but they could be starting to get wonky again with the pregnancy. Maybe I should just call my obstretrician’s office and see what they recommend for frequency of blood tests. My regular doctor just gave me 3 months worth of my regular dose.

zonohedron posted:

After almost two weeks of Zofran and Diclegis keeping the nausea mostly at bay (I will discount the time where I ate plain rice too fast, started hiccupping, and then the hiccups started bringing up rice with each hic), I'm having a terrible nausea day again. I'm 19 weeks today, and I'd been really putting a lot of emotional weight on "most women are through with hyperemesis by 20 weeks", apparently.

meanwhile I have to call the hospital to work out a payment plan for my ER visit (I thought I had a UTI and my OB's office said ":supaburn: go to ER nowwww!") while trying not to make gagging noises into the phone...

Yikes. I’m so sorry to hear that. I’ve been anxious about morning sickness setting in (nothing yet, fingers crossed) because my mom had hyperemesis. She said she felt like she had the flu from conception until birth. Hers was severe enough to hospitalize her multiple times though.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Nessa posted:

Well, my doctor didn’t recommend anything. Just gave me the paperwork for a blood test and sent me on my way. My obstetrician will be the one taking care of my pregnancy and when I last spoke to him, he wanted to also be sent my lab results in case he needed to refer me to an endocrinologist.

My thyroid levels were stable when I last had them checked in January, but they could be starting to get wonky again with the pregnancy. Maybe I should just call my obstretrician’s office and see what they recommend for frequency of blood tests. My regular doctor just gave me 3 months worth of my regular dose.

In the two pregnancies where my thyroid was stable after a minor tweak, I got blood work done once a trimester and then a growth scan at 36 weeks. In the one where it went absolutely whack-a-doodle, I got blood work done once a month since my dose was constantly being adjusted.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

skeetied posted:

In the two pregnancies where my thyroid was stable after a minor tweak, I got blood work done once a trimester and then a growth scan at 36 weeks. In the one where it went absolutely whack-a-doodle, I got blood work done once a month since my dose was constantly being adjusted.

Ah okay. Good to know.

I called my OB’s office and they said to get that blood work done tonight, especially since I’m experiencing some possible symptoms, and they’ll check the results through the network.

I did some medical reading earlier that suggested that hypothyroid women who have been treated with levothyroxine at conception should have their doses increased by 30%-50% within the first few weeks (4-6) of pregnancy. So yeah, gonna get the blood work done ASAP, as I’ll be out of town for the long weekend.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Nessa posted:

It could be pregnancy carpal tunnel syndrome. I had it nearly the entire time. It started very early on and was relieved with a sleeping brace. Then that stopped working. Then ice helped. Then that stopped working. Then the only thing I could do was stop working and elevate my hands above my head. Then ... guess what... that stopped working. The cure to pregnancy carpal tunnel is only one thing: giving birth.

Hopefully it’s something with an easy solution that’s safe for you both and not pregnancy carpal tunnel because I’ll tell you I was ready to chop my arms off by the 8th month and I’m glad I got a pass on the 9th month because I might have chopped them off.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Nessa posted:

I did some medical reading earlier that suggested that hypothyroid women who have been treated with levothyroxine at conception should have their doses increased by 30%-50% within the first few weeks (4-6) of pregnancy. So yeah, gonna get the blood work done ASAP, as I’ll be out of town for the long weekend.

:ohdear:

That worries me, because my dose hasn't been increased with this pregnancy. On the other hand I'm getting monthly blood work and I did lose a ton of weight (relative to my pre-pregnancy weight) which I haven't yet gotten back. On the third hand (hey, I'm pregnant, I have four hands right now, just two aren't part of me), something else to fret about in the middle of the night, just what I needed :doh:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had Graves Disease in the past and it wasn't active during my last pregnancy, but they still checked my thyroid levels once a month throughout the pregnancy just in case (at the OB's). My Graves Disease came back post partum but I think I'm almost over it. I'm down to the lowest doseage of medication now after my last lab results came back normal / hypothyroid from over treatment.

I'm actually very surprised you're not under the care of an endo now. I wouldn't trust a generalist with thyroid issues when there's doctors who specialize in it, especially when pregnant with an active issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I called the OB office back and my thyroid is fine for now. Just nice to have some reassurance. Better safe than sorry.

Sarah posted:

It could be pregnancy carpal tunnel syndrome. I had it nearly the entire time. It started very early on and was relieved with a sleeping brace. Then that stopped working. Then ice helped. Then that stopped working. Then the only thing I could do was stop working and elevate my hands above my head. Then ... guess what... that stopped working. The cure to pregnancy carpal tunnel is only one thing: giving birth.

Hopefully it’s something with an easy solution that’s safe for you both and not pregnancy carpal tunnel because I’ll tell you I was ready to chop my arms off by the 8th month and I’m glad I got a pass on the 9th month because I might have chopped them off.

I don’t think it’s carpal tunnel because I was getting tinglies in my legs too.

I was tested for carpal tunnel last year and just came back with diagnoses of DeQuervain’s Tenosynovitis, lateral epicondylitis, B12 deficiency and hypothyroidism. A bunch of things that aren’t carpal tunnel. But I’ll watch out for carpal tunnel since I work at a desk all day.

Alterian posted:

I had Graves Disease in the past and it wasn't active during my last pregnancy, but they still checked my thyroid levels once a month throughout the pregnancy just in case (at the OB's). My Graves Disease came back post partum but I think I'm almost over it. I'm down to the lowest doseage of medication now after my last lab results came back normal / hypothyroid from over treatment.

I'm actually very surprised you're not under the care of an endo now. I wouldn't trust a generalist with thyroid issues when there's doctors who specialize in it, especially when pregnant with an active issue.

Yeah, my OB said he might want to refer me to one, but we’ll see how things go. 5 weeks until my first prenatal appointment.