Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Never had an issue with that on my handroid pods. They're Mark 2s I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Just got my handroids that I bought because of this thread. They fit a little too snug maybe, hopefully they break in well. No issues with the finger armor binding yet.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

pun pundit posted:

Just got my handroids that I bought because of this thread. They fit a little too snug maybe, hopefully they break in well. No issues with the finger armor binding yet.

For what it's worth the Knox website says to buy up a size if you are dead-on on a size measurement (example: if your hand is exactly what they say for a size M (230mm around), they say to buy a L (245mm), I guess because the leather won't break in much?) I should have done that myself, I'll update when I get the replacement set.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had to size up my Handroids compared to my A* gloves, I think they run a bit small. No binding issues with the exoskeleton fingers on mine either, but I have the last generation.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Any recommendations for riding jeans? Price is not a concern and I generally prioritize protection over everything else. I normally roll with a two piece leather suit, but I could use a bottom that's more practical for when I need to actually get off the bike and do something at my destination.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

timn posted:

Any recommendations for riding jeans? Price is not a concern and I generally prioritize protection over everything else. I normally roll with a two piece leather suit, but I could use a bottom that's more practical for when I need to actually get off the bike and do something at my destination.

How fat are you?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
~32" waist + 30" inseam

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

timn posted:

I've been looking for decent riding jeans for months and haven't found anything that ticks all the boxes (protective, comfortable, looks decent).

Klim Fifty Twos seem solid (I haven't crashed in them to find out) but they're overpriced, they look like dad jeans, and the knee armor isn't particularly comfortable. I just got a pair of Bull-It Tacticals in the slim fit and they look and feel much better. They're not actually a slim fit though. They are rated for a ~45mph slide and half the cost of the Klims, but don't come with any armor.

Uglybros Motorpool-Ks get decent reviews but they're stupid expensive ($400) and the regular Motorpools have a reputation for exploding at the seams in an accident. Tobacco Motorwear makes some kevlar jeans and chinos that are well made and look good, but again the cost is high and there are not even pockets for armor.

I think I may just buy some Dainese knee/shin guards to wear over the Bull-Its that I can take off and stash when I get where I'm going.

alr
May 14, 2009

timn posted:

https://www.saint.cc/model-3-jeans

I have the model 1's and they've held up great but haven't needed to crash test them. Comes with hip and knee armour, I don't know how they compare to kevlar lined stuff since they're the only riding jeans I've ever owned. The Model 1 had a choice of standard or bootcut, with the bootcut juuuuust fitting over a pair of A* SMX6. These ones only seem to be the bootcut option

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Any boots to avoid or prefer? My 12 year old low motocross boots broke a strap and they are now unavailable.
I figure I will go and see if I can find something that fits, with ankle support? Currently I commute on the highway to work, thats about it.
Sometimes I have to walk around a little in them, but I keep my work boots on my bike so they don't have to be very comfortable walking around.
Forma Lows? Thor Blitz LS (this is the new version of what I have)? I have weird short fat feet so I have to go try stuff on.

e: any source for old out of stock boots parts? there are listings for the part i need, but I can't find any.
https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-g...50-boot/p/36388
need a #1 (#2 would probably fit)

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 3, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

blindjoe posted:

Any boots to avoid or prefer? My 12 year old low motocross boots broke a strap and they are now unavailable.
I figure I will go and see if I can find something that fits, with ankle support? Currently I commute on the highway to work, thats about it.
Sometimes I have to walk around a little in them, but I keep my work boots on my bike so they don't have to be very comfortable walking around.
Forma Lows? Thor Blitz LS (this is the new version of what I have)? I have weird short fat feet so I have to go try stuff on.

e: any source for old out of stock boots parts? there are listings for the part i need, but I can't find any.
https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-g...50-boot/p/36388
need a #1 (#2 would probably fit)

Formas and Gaernes are good for wide feet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

timn posted:

I'm very happy with the look and feel of my Dainese Bonneville jeans - with the standard armour in they're almost indistinguishable from normal jeans, although to my mind the standard armour, despite being CE-marked, is a bit too thin. The Pro-Armor upgrades they do are apparently to a slightly higher standard (and are also a lot better ventilated if you dislike sweaty knees).

They're also a little narrow in the calf to comfortably use normal-height bike boots, so you might want to consider a lower boot (like the Formas I mention below) to pair with t hem.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 4, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Formas and Gaernes are good for wide feet.

Forma Adventure Lows are becoming the CA-approved boot, and I can certainly vouch for their comfort, ease of use, and waterproofness.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Mine are still in use after some years of use, abuse, I hiked through a river with them, commutes and double shifts, etc.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

After using Alpinestars Toucans for a while my old formas seems so drat flimsy.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 4, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My Forma Adventures are pretty great, for all-day riding I think they're a perfect balance of comfort and protection for touring, and they can hold up to a decent amount of trail thrashing, most importantly for me they're available in size huge, and they're a great value.

They're flimsy as gently caress compared to my properly protective Icon Raidens or Fox Comp 5s though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Supradog posted:

After using Alpinestars Toucans for a while my old formas seems so drat flimsy.

they’re the best

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I ended up with Alpine Star SMX-S because turns out my feet are not that weird, just small, and they were the only ones in stock locally with 41's.
This is probably why all the other boots I tried felt so loose, because they were too big.

I would have ended up with hot pink mx boots but they only had womens 9's , not 9.5. Would have gone great with my dad-yellow vis jacket.

Lightning_F
Oct 27, 2010

Hi, does anyone have an opinion on the
Alpinestars Roam 2 boots?

I'm in the NYC area and gearing up for the MSF course. They fit great but I'm concerned about the shin and ankle protection. They're CE2 rated but don't seem to have any hard armor inside the boot. Thanks!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ridgidity is what counts in boots, do they feel like they would keep your ankle from snapping like a twig?

In general I would trust any Alpinestars gear to be sufficiently protective.

If I was in NY again... I would still get a pair of vented boots, if they were my only boots, they do surprisingly well in the rain, dry out quicker if they do get wet, and are more pleasant to wear in general. Perfect for those summer NY thunderstorms.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They're the lower end of the spectrum for A*. Real basic protection. Nothing fancy. A basic plastic bag between the outer and inner layers for the waterproofing.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Anyone here know alpinestars warranty length? The soles of my alpinestars toucans have startet to split horizontally. I bought them at a christmas sale in in december 2016. The stitching on the edge kept the boot and the sole together, but they're not waterproof. Kinda hoped such an expensive boot would last more than 2 years. Looks like resoling is not an easy option either, since it's not one of their usual types, ie tech 7/9.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Visor gasket on my neotec tore, so as soon as it rains it leaks right over my eye.

Can you even get replacement visor gaskets or am I going to have to gently caress about with rtv silicone to try and patch it?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Supradog posted:

Anyone here know alpinestars warranty length? The soles of my alpinestars toucans have startet to split horizontally. I bought them at a christmas sale in in december 2016. The stitching on the edge kept the boot and the sole together, but they're not waterproof. Kinda hoped such an expensive boot would last more than 2 years. Looks like resoling is not an easy option either, since it's not one of their usual types, ie tech 7/9.

I'd bitch to both alpinestars and goretex since they're supposed to have a lifetime warranty on the waterproofing so maybe they'll cover you through that

if not, hopefully you bought them on an amex and can use their extended warranty policy

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Trying through the shop I bought them from first. Here is some pictures of the damage.

[

They should be one uniform mass, no horizontal lines.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

Trying through the shop I bought them from first. Here is some pictures of the damage.

[

They should be one uniform mass, no horizontal lines.

Those look welted. I would think any legit shoe repair shop in a big city would be able to fix them.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Supradog posted:

I've had good luck with Gore-Tex life-time warranty, unfortunately on a 3-week vacation I discovered my SMX-R GTX boots to leak, I had to provide pictures and send them in but in the end I got a brand new pair of whatever their current similar boot is. A good reason to spend the extra money on Gore-Tex, unless a boot with a generic membrane wouldn't have started leaking to begin with of course, I doubt that; the issue seemed to be cracks where the boot attaches to the sole and the shift pads.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Visor gasket on my neotec tore, so as soon as it rains it leaks right over my eye.

Can you even get replacement visor gaskets or am I going to have to gently caress about with rtv silicone to try and patch it?

Assuming it's not too badly damaged, a little dab of silicone lube (they give you a bottle of it with the lid) should be enough to waterproof the gap, although you will have to keep reapplying it. Given it's glued on I doubt it's a user-serviceable part, but it's probably worth talking to the importer (https://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/service/helpline ) about whether it's repairable at all.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It doesn't open up this much just closing the visor, but it's split like this:

I uh, definitely have no idea where I put the bottle of silicone grease that came in the box. :goleft:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It looks like if you were careful you could use some shoe goo/goop/other silicone based adhesive to mend that and seal it up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

It looks like if you were careful you could use some shoe goo/goop/other silicone based adhesive to mend that and seal it up.

yeah, i assumed this was a tear across the seal, not it detaching like that - that seems like a much easier thing to fix. Use a pin to apply a tiny drop of the adhesive in the centre, then work it out from there.

Also clean your helmet man, that's gross.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Any recommendations for riding jeans that look and wear like a pair of Levis 511 Slim Fits? Preferably in dark blue and black?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any recommendations for riding jeans that look and wear like a pair of Levis 511 Slim Fits? Preferably in dark blue and black?

They don't exist. Even "slim fit" riding jeans look bulky because they either have an abrasion resistant lining or the denim itself is woven with something abrasion resistant that ends up making it thicker. I've bought and returned so many damned pairs of riding jeans trying to find the same thing you are - it's not even funny. They're less protective than overpants and they're hotter, uglier, and usually less comfortable than regular jeans. Most riding jeans are weird cuts/fits, too. Worst of both worlds.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

My Merlin Drax have failed in 3 places in less than a year (6 if you count the multitudes of replacement laces) and Merlin have decided I’ve abused them.

So I bought a pair of Sidi Adventure 2’s, they’re pretty great. Feels like I could crash at Mach2, and my feet be fine. Which is what I was looking for after nearly rolling an ankle stopping next to a pothole. They’re also comfortable in every metric except that they are really narrow in the toes.

So I’m looking for something similar with the same sort of protection, just roomier in the toe box.

TCX drifter is on the top of the list. But I don’t know how wide they make their toe boxes.
Anything else that I should look at?

alr
May 14, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

So I’m looking for something similar with the same sort of protection, just roomier in the toe box.

TCX drifter is on the top of the list. But I don’t know how wide they make their toe boxes.
Anything else that I should look at?

I don't know how Sidi stuff fits, but TCX is wider and flatter than my Alpinestars stuff. I've seen them recommended for people with wide feet a fair bit

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Neo_Crimson posted:

Spidi J-Dyneemas are the closest thing I’ve found. Single layer so they aren’t too hot or bulky, at least relative to other moto jeans. The color is dark blue.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ldmJ47Y

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
speaking of sizing and fitting, I have a more or less 36-37 waist so I generally buy stuff that's a 38 in the waist, but the fit around my thighs/quads are super tight. (too many years of bicycle riding and squats)
I found a pair of pants that fit great but they are no longer manufactured. Anyone have a suggestion?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Skreemer posted:

speaking of sizing and fitting, I have a more or less 36-37 waist so I generally buy stuff that's a 38 in the waist, but the fit around my thighs/quads are super tight. (too many years of bicycle riding and squats)
I found a pair of pants that fit great but they are no longer manufactured. Anyone have a suggestion?

What kind of pants are you looking for? Klim gear is pretty roomy for a given size when compared to the equivalent in European brands. Olympia if you're looking for something less spendy (also not made as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

They don't exist. Even "slim fit" riding jeans look bulky because they either have an abrasion resistant lining or the denim itself is woven with something abrasion resistant that ends up making it thicker. I've bought and returned so many damned pairs of riding jeans trying to find the same thing you are - it's not even funny. They're less protective than overpants and they're hotter, uglier, and usually less comfortable than regular jeans. Most riding jeans are weird cuts/fits, too. Worst of both worlds.

Dainese stuff comes closest but they're still not going to look like fashionable jeans for the same reason a dump truck doesn't look like a Ferrari.