Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Wow I feel like this makes your tantrum about taking the piss out of the deck make a lot more sense

I play Nexus sometimes. I play a bunch of decks.

lol @ tantrum. I probably said something lovely to you and for that I'm sorry, I just find performative anger over decks super :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Esper control is just nutty right now. It basically only loses to nailing your first 15 consecutive land drops

Edit: which it is super good at doing. Always surveil lands off the top

A Moose fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 10, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

A Moose posted:

Esper control is just nutty right now. It basically only loses to nailing your first 15 consecutive land drops

Edit: which it is super good at doing. Always surveil lands off the top

Sometimes it loses to opposing planeswalker decks, which are typically also Esper but sometimes are Bant.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Instead I'll ask:

It's my first GP with the kid, as I mentioned. Aside from snacks, sleeves, dice and counters, juice boxes, and full art lands so we can be slick and not use the land station, what should I pack in our messenger bags?

pen and paper for life totals, phone charger, refillable water bottle unless you're packing a shitload of juice, something to do between rounds (book, play on your phone, whatever)

fake edit: oh poo poo someone already responded

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

at the risk of ruining some "sick ownz" about to be had I think we can acknowledge both that the deception involved in carrying on an affair while your wife is pregnant with your first child is way more traumatic than mainstream culture likes to acknowledge

was LSV a horrible husband to his ex wife and almost certainly emotionally abusive? yes.

Are you basing this on anything besides the likely cheating? Emotionally abusive has a pretty specific meaning - using emotional attacks to control/dominate a relationship and the other person in it, like a physically abusive person would use physical violence, and it usually involves gaslighting. I agree that cheating on a pregnant wife is incredibly traumatic, lovely, etc. but I don't think that makes it emotionally abusive in and of itself.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
im sorry guys, the reason you haent been refunded for the planeswalker thing is cause the money went to make a uh... "trailer remix" set to a song by some band ive never heard of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ40eZ8WcV0

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Sometimes it loses to opposing planeswalker decks, which are typically also Esper but sometimes are Bant.

It may lose against those, but the cause of the losses is drawing 12 lands in 8 turns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mandatory lesbian posted:

im sorry guys, the reason you haent been refunded for the planeswalker thing is cause the money went to make a uh... "trailer remix" set to a song by some band ive never heard of

I had to click through to see if this was on the official page and not a joke

Edit: The Mountain Goats just did a D&D album and I think the lead guy plays MTG, get them to do a follow-up album

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

we made fun of the linkin park cover but lol is this someone at wizards or their nephew's bar band? come on.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

we made fun of the linkin park cover but lol is this someone at wizards or their nephew's bar band? come on.

I'm guessing it was a big hit at the office, between D&D and Magic, probably 95 percent of WOTC employees are metal fans.

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

He's a Swedish concept artist whose albums tell an alternate history story of, "What if the American slaves had turned to devil worship and revolted?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/bens_mtg/status/1126903971182972928?s=21

Make sure to watch this dumpster fire before it gets deleted.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

admanb posted:

I play Nexus sometimes. I play a bunch of decks.

lol @ tantrum. I probably said something lovely to you and for that I'm sorry, I just find performative anger over decks super :rolleyes:

What makes anger "performative?"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sounds like Creed and Nickelback got drunk and played rock-paper-scissors to form a new band.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

insertdumbnamehere posted:

He's a Swedish concept artist whose albums tell an alternate history story of, "What if the American slaves had turned to devil worship and revolted?"

I wish he'd told that story in a book or a comic or something because it sounds badass.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hmmmm... why would WOTC comment publicly on a ban for cheating at Magic that occurred during a high-profile event... and not on allegations of sexual harassment that may be currently implicated in a legal action... it must be Race

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

What makes anger "performative?"

not sure if this is a real question, but just in case

when the anger isn't just a venting of frustration, but a publicity-stunt to help sculpt your social image, then it becomes performative.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/bens_mtg/status/1126903971182972928?s=21

Make sure to watch this dumpster fire before it gets deleted.

He definitely has lots of bad takes but he's fine here.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's true I want to solidify my social standing in the MTG thread, a true opener of doors

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wish he'd told that story in a book or a comic or something because it sounds badass.
Have you read about the Haitian revolution? Replace Satan with the much cooler Voodoo and that's kinda what happened.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I agree. Threads like that can’t ever stay civil or rational though.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

This is bad. It's very very bad.

I like to think of that "You're not the smartest guy in the room anymore" anecdote everytime wotc, or any corporation really, does the dumbest possible poo poo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You think takes like "Yuuya did nothing wrong" or that "Owen is being framed by a vengeful ex" are less dumb than thinking there might be a racial element to WotC's communication on both issues?

I mean I don't think there is, personally, but I'm not going to go out there and declare that thinking there is is the dumbest possibile thing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
just dropping this excellent shop of ben shapiro here

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ptroll posted:

Every game I've ever played against Simic Nexus is an unstoppable steamroll for one of us, no middle ground. I think I hate it more than any other matchup because it feels like playing war with a deck of playing cards.

Play UW/Jeskai Superfriends and land Smolferi and Narset on curve and then just... collect the tears.

Bonus: Smolferi can bounce both Azcanta and Wilderness Rec. If you're playing UW with Callous Dismissal then with his +1 you can bounce them as an Instant for additional fuckery

Dovin makes Chemister's cost 5, Dovin + Kasmina makes Blink of an Eye cost 5 or 7 with kicker. It's hilarious.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/RossHunneds/status/1126969023504240641

Hahaha and you thought Ben Stark wasn't a loving tool

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
east asians aren't poc and if we were Ross would have to listen to me saying "lol Yuuya deserved it"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I don't feel like there's a lot of anti-Japanese animus in MTG. If anything I think theres a lot of overlap with the weeb community.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

At the risk of picking nits about language, am I the only one who thinks "faithfully and dutifully" are weird-sounding choices of adjectives here? "Respectfully" or "thoughtfully" are what I would probably have gone for; "faithfully" and "dutifully" immediately make me think of a fundamentalist type talking about women's duties to their husbands, or something.

And of course it's just generally dumb to respond to "here are my conclusions based on the facts we know about a situation and reasonable conjectures as to somebody's motives; where do you think I'm going wrong?" with "well you'd be right 50% of the time just by flipping a coin". Even if you think Stark is missing something (possible), it's a non sequitur.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

JerryLee posted:

At the risk of picking nits about language, am I the only one who thinks "faithfully and dutifully" are weird-sounding choices of adjectives here? "Respectfully" or "thoughtfully" are what I would probably have gone for; "faithfully" and "dutifully" immediately make me think of a fundamentalist type talking about women's duties to their husbands, or something.

And of course it's just generally dumb to respond to "here are my conclusions based on the facts we know about a situation and reasonable conjectures as to somebody's motives; where do you think I'm going wrong?" with "well you'd be right 50% of the time just by flipping a coin". Even if you think Stark is missing something (possible), it's a non sequitur.

That's not what it's in response to. This is partially my fault for not linking the full twitter thread - the impetuous for Ross saying that is Ben saying this

https://twitter.com/BenS_MTG/status/1126960842292047872

He's basically saying that as a white person, he can make the executive decision on whether or not something is racist. Ross is saying that no, he can't do that - his opinion on the matter has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it's racist, as he is essentially the definition of privilege.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Ben is essentially taking the position that the Heritage Foundation might be onto something

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Sampatrick posted:

He's basically saying that as a white person, he can make the executive decision on whether or not something is racist.
this is an extremely narrow and uncharitable read of his tweet and thus perfect for you to post on twitter instead

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Soooooo, the interaction between Oath of Kaya and Small Teferi is disgusting and Esper Midrange is probably the best deck right now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

muon posted:

this is an extremely narrow and uncharitable read of his tweet and thus perfect for you to post on twitter instead

Sure, those definitely aren't literally the words he's typing on twitter lmao

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
how's the tcg player app for scanning cards? any better alternatives? gonna catalog my collection this weekend

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

Play UW/Jeskai Superfriends and land Smolferi and Narset on curve and then just... collect the tears.

To be clear I'm not having problems beating them, boarding in four duress and four Davriels tends to revoke their card-playing license pretty quick. It's just the outcome doesn't feel up to me. My game plan outside of any discard is just play around nothing and smack face as fast as possible. It's like a DPS check if you're not specifically running lil Teferi.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Soooooo, the interaction between Oath of Kaya and Small Teferi is disgusting and Esper Midrange is probably the best deck right now.

What interaction?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Magic Underwear posted:

What interaction?

Play your removal, bounce your removal to draw a card, play your removal again.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Play your removal, bounce your removal to draw a card, play your removal again.

Alternatively, play Oath, minus Teferi, play Oath in order to shoot six points up stairs.

Esper is gr8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the fundamental point that “WOTC is probably talking about the magic cheater a lot more than the possible sexual predator for non-race-related reasons” is correct

ben s is way, way past that, though, and I have no desire to join him on the limb he’s dancing on.