Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was just about to post "Where the hell is STAC Goat?" You on that day after upload schedule?

Shneak posted:

yeah but literally nobody thinks Lil should have won over Sandra.

True, but I don't think that really had anything to do with her being voted off so much as Lil's overall game and character. IIRC she got blasted for spending value checks she couldn't cash, plus she was a goat.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's me, I'm the one who doesn't want Rick to win. I'll respect that he's working hard (and I believe that other people are looking too, but Rick was up searching since the middle of the night), but his social capital is just so bad outside of the jury. It's also incredibly obvious to everyone that he wins at the end, so finale night is gonna be really boring at this rate.

I am a Devens fan but unless he goes an immunity run, I really don't think he'll make it to final. I'll wager a forum upgrade or something on it.

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, it's funny seeing people going like "can you imagine how boring this season would be without Rick!" as if the decision to give Rick as much airtime as all the other contestants combined means everyone else is just sitting around doing jack poo poo. Save maybe Gavin, all of the other contestants have shown enough for me to believe they could easily be fleshed out into more dynamic characters, and the editors just saw The Rick Show as the easiest story to tell (particularly if he wins)

In general, late-game idols tend to turn the people who find them into camera-hogs, which is part of why I've come to hate them so much. You're guaranteed airtime for you to say you're going to look for the idol, then you get airtime talking about how important it was for you to find the idol, then you get airtime talking about how you're going to leverage your idol to further your game. Plus all the other contestants get shown speculating about whether or not you have the idol, and how to navigate the different scenarios. It's exhausting

On the other hand, without one Rogue person hogging camera time, it would be a great deal of the secure alliance sitting around doing jack squat. My least favourite Survivor episodes are where the alliance votes out the safe pre-determined person, while the episode makes a big show of "ooh will they, won't they, underdog is talking to bottom of pecking order person maybe they'll make a m-oh wait they just did the boring thing okay see ya next week."

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I am a Devens fan but unless he goes an immunity run, I really don't think he'll make it to final. I'll wager a forum upgrade or something on it.

He doesn't need to go on much of a run - there are two tribals left, and he has an idol. Then, either immunity or fire making gets him over F4.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

I was just about to post "Where the hell is STAC Goat?" You on that day after upload schedule?

Weirdly enough I just couldn't remember yesterday was Wednesday. I spent all day confused on that for some reason and getting corrected by people with stuff like "Don't worry about it tomorrow, we'll deal with it on Thursday."/"Tomorrow is Thursday."/"Oh, Friday then."

It was weird.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

He doesn't need to go on much of a run - there are two tribals left, and he has an idol. Then, either immunity or fire making gets him over F4.

Then take my wager because I firmly believe once I root for a Survivor they necessarily cannot win.

STAC Goat posted:

It was weird.

Hahaha happens to everybody. They do the same drat week days over and over, only natural it slips sometimes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But seriously, even if you hate Devens, his edit, and his game you HAD to get a chuckle out of him taking a nap behind a cartoonishly large log after sending the majority alliance on a Looney Tunes chase through the jungle, right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Three, actually; EoE returnee coming back means an extra tribal.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I wonder if Lauren gets blindsided this next tribal when the EoE person comes back knowing she has an idol and Rick almost certainly immune.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the combination of them turning on Aurora and the EoE returning stands the chance to shift the numbers enough that Lauren should probably be on alert. If its not Wentworth coming back in the game she should have her hands on that idol and read the room. Hell, even if it IS Wentworth or someone she feels she can trust I still laugh at the idea that Gavin and Victoria are people she can count on. As others have said, Aurora may have felt Devens made her voting happen but it was clear Lauren was already itching to do it so its possible those two had already turned before Devens' games.

Which again, lets make note that a new found "alliance" this season didn't make it 1 week before they turned on each other.

That's how 38 do.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nottherealaborn posted:

...did not deserve to win his season at all, the jury was dumb.

This is never the case. It's literally how the game works. You're putting people on the Jury as a group. As an individual you're trying to do it in a way that they still respect you enough to award you the win at the end. You have to play to your season's jury in particular.

If you still don't get it, may I introduce you to Russell Hantz? You'd really get along with him.

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I can't believe Lauren is still in. After being unable to eat for some time to passing out in a challenge, how has she not been given the boot yet?

Because she's a bland non-threat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Three, actually; EoE returnee coming back means an extra tribal.

final four doesn't really count as a tribal

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I give Lauren credit for surviving. She hasn't exactly been a big target and but she's managed to ingratiate herself well post merge/Wentworth to the point where she not only is in a better position than Julie and Aurora but was able to get her way to shift the target away from Julie to Aurora. Yeah, you can say she's survived because everyone's been focused on bigger threats but how are Victoria, Gavin, and Julie any different in that regard?

i think Lauren arguably has the second best chance to win after Devens. If we believe that Devens' Tribal theatrics were meaningless and they were always blindsiding Aurora that would seem to mean that Lauren got her way against Victoria's objections. And while everyone seemed to give Victoria credit for last week's move Lauren seemed as involved as she was and put in one of the votes so theoretically has more ownership with the jury. She also took front and center when Wardog went out.

I don't think Lauren's played a great game or anything but she's got a solid underdog/come from behind/tribe from hell story, a theatrical turning point with the Wentworth/Wardog betrayal, a possible Jury champion, an apparent sidepiece with Julie, and as many game pts as anyone (non Devens division) left standing.

She also was in the majority and a very Victoria-like position at Mana/Lesu but I don't think any of that really matters at this stage.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 10, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Who would Rick even want to vote out next, anyway? Taking out the returnee as a factor for a minute, he has to know he wins at the end no matter who he sits next to. So his first target would probably be Gavin, as the only real threat to his immunity run. Then... Victoria, maybe? Lauren's got a better jury pitch, but if Rick's winning either way then might as well keep around the person who has a slightly better chance of working with him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll be honest, I don't see the point in wondering who Devens' target will be when he won't have the power and he hasn't actually had a solid hand in a vote... since maybe Chris?

I would think Deven's goal is to want to try and break up that trio by getting the EoE returnee to threaten to force rocks. Julie has her thing with Lauren so maybe that makes Victoria and Gavin the easy votes? Then again maybe the returnee or Julie don't play along or the returnee has a direct tie to one of the trio? Its hard to game not knowing who that 6th player is. Like I'd be really surprised if Lauren, Victoria, and Gavin don't race to turn on each other the second the threat of rocks comes into play, but I also don't know who comes in and if rocks will ever be a realistic threat.

To be clear, I don't think they'll draw rocks. SOMEONE will fold before Tribal. But a 3 person alliance and 3 solos creates it as an obvious leverage point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
His target probably does matter since he has an idol. He can basically guarantee someone goes out unless the power trio splits votes again.

I think unless it's David, the returnee has to know they won't beat Rick either. So chances are Rick will gain another enemy, not an ally.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If the EoE works with the trio to split/vote out Julie, I think that makes them an incredible idiot. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I've been typing, deleting, and retyping my thoughts for like 15 minutes because I can't decide what I think is the logical move in this scenario for anyone. If Rick is all but guaranteed to play his idol do you just settle on voting out Julie even though you just rejected that? If Rick is confident they've done that does he risk keeping his idol one more week? Do they risk splitting the votes to force his hand knowing Devens is basically the only trustworthy rat on the ship? Do you really trust each other given everything that's happened?

I really and truly have no idea and it seems impossible to game out with freaking 11 different possible 6th players.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Man I just feel like the Survivor producers are flailing all over the place in recent seasons. After Advantagegeddon in Game Changers you would think they'd want to avoid that again, but naw, they're still throwing out idols and advantages everywhere. Fire-making challenge is unpopular, they're keeping it. Now we got even more gimmicks with Edge of Extinction and next season's rumored theme which are both shameless ways to keep returning players on TV. If Rick wins this season due to advantages/idols and fire-making despite having already been voted out it'll feel unearned. I'm not usually someone who complains about twists and demands that they go back to a 16-person season with no theme and no idols, but I feel like Survivor is just adding more complexity and chaos to the show these days without making for a better product.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The things they add are for specific reasons, not necessarily throwing poo poo at the wall.

Fire making is to create more competitive final votes. Less runaways.

Extinction was to keep their returnees around for as long as possible. They did the same thing with redemption island.

This show would actually sink if they didn’t try new things, even if purists get pissy about it. Don’t get me wrong, I get pissy about it too. Go look at any of my posts pre-season.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I just hope next season every player has a Code name like Wardog.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bigass Moth posted:

I just hope next season every player has a Code name like Wardog.

Someone should insist on being called Waluigi

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

JesusSinfulHands posted:

If Rick wins this season due to advantages/idols and fire-making despite having already been voted out it'll feel unearned.

I don’t think it would feel unearned. He’s won a fair number of challenges, particularly when they were key.

I don’t think he’s going to win, either. This feels like editors showing us what they think is the most fun stuff in the season, to the detriment of building up the actual winner. And it is fun, I enjoy an alliance getting stymied by a pesky survivor.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lauren would be a solid Danni-type winner yeah.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

advantagegeddon was actually great

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Zesty posted:

Fire making is to create more competitive final votes. Less runaways.

F2 does this too zwz

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hell yeah, Final 2 supremacy

I do think going to a final three opened the door to eventually doing the F4 fire challenge, because it acknowledged frustrations that it was too hard for "the best player" to win. I guess an American TV audience was probably never going to be at peace with too many imperfect endings, but I liked the occasional oddball F2 showdown.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There have been some great F3s like China and HvV, but the only real time where the game was arguably worse for not having a F3 was maybe Micronesia.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Speaking of final 2, that’s what Lauren said during this episode. I wonder if that’s what they were told for this season.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Zesty posted:

Speaking of final 2, that’s what Lauren said during this episode. I wonder if that’s what they were told for this season.

essentially the F4 has made it so you can't promise F3 to a group of 3, but you can promise you'll save the other person from having to fire

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If you're into podcasts I strongly recommend Christian spending 3 hours with Rob C ostensibly recapping this week's episode.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
my very brief take on this season is this: i like devens and want him to win. he's made things very entertaining. however, the season overall is weak. because either he gets to the end and it's a foregone conclusion, or he gets voted out again and no winner is very satisfying. even david, who is a favorite of mine. people on EoE have gotten so little air time that for them to come back and win now would just feel weird.

except reem. i would love nothing more than for reem to win.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Reem winning with the votes of her new EoE friends would be the perfect cap to this season

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Spokes posted:

Reem winning with the votes of her new EoE friends would be the perfect cap to this season

Her welcome to EoE this week was so good. The theme this season is wholly redeemed just because without it we would never have gotten to know her.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I feel like there was no way they were keeping people around all season, but after the first few Reem rants they went with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know y'all sometimes dip into Survivors from other countries . . . how about Survivor Turkey? I basically just want an excuse to talk about Turbo, who's been excellent on this year's The Challenge. This guy is a charismatic monster. I would've loved for them to slip him into the US Survivor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

my very brief take on this season is this: i like devens and want him to win. he's made things very entertaining. however, the season overall is weak. because either he gets to the end and it's a foregone conclusion, or he gets voted out again and no winner is very satisfying. even david, who is a favorite of mine. people on EoE have gotten so little air time that for them to come back and win now would just feel weird.

except reem. i would love nothing more than for reem to win.

I agree with everything you're saying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rick posted:

I know y'all sometimes dip into Survivors from other countries . . . how about Survivor Turkey? I basically just want an excuse to talk about Turbo, who's been excellent on this year's The Challenge. This guy is a charismatic monster. I would've loved for them to slip him into the US Survivor.

Is this something we can watch or something we have to dig up through shady video upload sites and weird facebook groups?

"Περί σεβασμού, ευγενούς άμιλλας και άλλων Reality θεωριών" Yeah no way I'll be able to suss these out :( CBS needs to just have a goddamn Survivor site with ALL of the Survivorses

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Do an All-Winners season, but each winner comes from a different international version of Survivor.

"Can these contestants survive the elements when they don't all speak the same language??????"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Turbo is a hell of a name

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Rick posted:

Turbo is an absolute monster on the current challenge season and I'm like 90% on him taking home the big money.

Edit: Also, I was floored by Paulie Califiore's (From Big Brother) improvement over the previous season. He was SO BAD last season and so good this one (Though somewhat strategically terrible)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Belgian Survivor looks like a hot mess.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
survivor battle royale lol