Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Motronic posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Drywall-Screw-Setter-4-Pack-DW2014C4/202302391

It cams out automatically. Literally the only thing phillps head as good at.

:vince:

This is a prime example of the idea that is so stupid simple and obvious that it makes you go, "why didn't I think of that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The extra bonus is that it dimples around the screw as it's caming out to make it easy to mud.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Drywall-Screw-Setter-4-Pack-DW2014C4/202302391

Can confirm, these are the ultimate foolproof way to screw in drywall, unless you're an extraordinary fool.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Yep. This is what I used. I wondered at first why they always come in packs, but after doing just two rooms I now see how fast the tips wear out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Yep. This is what I used. I wondered at first why they always come in packs, but after doing just two rooms I now see how fast the tips wear out.

The speed at which screw and drill bits wear out (and the fact that they wear out at all) was one of the scales falling from my eyes when I started doing larger scale tasks.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

The speed at which screw and drill bits wear out (and the fact that they wear out at all) was one of the scales falling from my eyes when I started doing larger scale tasks.

loving same, lol. I was like "why does this bucket of screws always come with its own bit?? I'm gonna have so many extra bits..."

It turns out the bits literally strip after using half the screws in said bucket. Especially star bits.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Switch to square/Robertson head and be amazed at how screws don’t strip anymore and the drivers last forever and the screws will even stick on the end of the bit from friction alone. The bad part is it makes using any other screw very disappointing and frustrating. I have no idea why square drive isn’t standard because it is waaaaay better than phillips.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 10, 2019

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Motronic posted:

Last time I bought a giant box of drywall screws I was very caught up in Robinson! Torx! Spax everything! gently caress Philips! mode. Robinson drywall screws? gently caress yes!

No. Actually not good. and I'll have this box of screws until I die. Or gut the basement.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have no idea why square drive isn’t standard because it is waaaaay better than phillips.

The story behind this is hilarious FYI

Hubis fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 11, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
torx bits last a really long time what are yall doing to the poor bits

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BraveUlysses posted:

Probably using 15s to drive 20s, 20s to drive 25s, and so on. In my experience, that is the best way to shorten the life of a torx bit. It’ll work, so you might not notice right away, but it chews/twists the bit a lot.

And also of course the included bits are a special kind of garbage. Bits should always be considered a consumable, but at least with torx, they can last a remarkably long time.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
The only torx bit I've destroyed was a T50 that was used to remove seatbelts from an Astro van. It was actually still usable, but the bit had twisted almost 45 degrees after the brutality of breaking those bolts free.

Is there anywhere to buy square drive drywall screws in small amounts online (without paying out the rear end)? None of the big box stores near me carry them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheBananaKing posted:

Is there anywhere to buy square drive drywall screws in small amounts online (without paying out the rear end)? None of the big box stores near me carry them.

Why would you want those?

Even Canadians use Philips for drywall.

quote:

After all these years extolling the virtues of Square Drive screws, why would McFeely's begin offering Phillips recess screws? Simple. For installing sheet rock (without the use of an automatic screw gun) the Phillips recess just seems to work better - largely because it cams out so easily! Square Drive screws hold onto the driver bit so thoroughly that it is hard to set the screw at a depth that doesn't tear the paper. So in this case, that which is normally a disadvantage becomes an advantage. Who said life isn't fair?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’ve got 3 of those long Kreg Robertson bits that are almost useless, does that count?

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

Why would you want those?

Even Canadians use Philips for drywall.

I get it but I haven't had the need for speed as I'm usually only doing small patches or fixing nail pops here and there. Even taking my time the philips poo poo like to shred themselves on occasion and it's just annoying.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Driving dozens of 6" long concrete screws into dense concrete blocks.

Bad Munki posted:

Probably using 15s to drive 20s, 20s to drive 25s, and so on. In my experience, that is the best way to shorten the life of a torx bit.

The hell you say. I'm not an animal.

Screw bits do wear much more slowly than drill bits, but the fact that they wear at all was still a surprise to lil ol me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine if driver bits weren’t a wear item.

They would’t be included in packs of screws and we’d have the goddamn 10 mm socket problem with #2 Philips and T20.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yah I just bought a tic tac pack each of T20 and impact-style #2 pozi and I'm good for a very long time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

loving same, lol. I was like "why does this bucket of screws always come with its own bit?? I'm gonna have so many extra bits..."

It turns out the bits literally strip after using half the screws in said bucket. Especially star bits.

I basicallt only use torx bits or flat bits, the bits last me a long time, I mean they get buggered up but I find they still work fine. T20 and above, T15s and smaller suck.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yah I just bought a tic tac pack each of T20 and impact-style #2 pozi and I'm good for a very long time.

We're remodeling our entire house, a 90-year-old farm house. The studs are so dense that after running new electric and drywalling 5 rooms, I have gone through about 3 full tic tac packs of #2 Philips - and 3 drills. I'm almost at the point of drilling pilot holes for drywall screws.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Its because the cheap bits you buy in gross are poo poo and most likely aren't meant to be used with an impact. No one buys the right impact bits. Probably shouldn't be sending drywall screws with an impact but most people dont have the right tool so they use what feels like the fastest tool

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose
It seems very unlikely that you are going to put enough stress on a non-impact bit to break it when screwing into wood. Impact bits are generally softer, and thus are more prone to rounding when you cam out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its because the cheap bits you buy in gross are poo poo and most likely aren't meant to be used with an impact. No one buys the right impact bits. Probably shouldn't be sending drywall screws with an impact but most people dont have the right tool so they use what feels like the fastest tool

Condescending. We know how to read a product description.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

Condescending. We know how to read a product description.

I didn't mean it to be condescending, I had no idea I was blowing through the wrong bits until someone told me. It could easily have read and been just as true: I didn't know gross bits are poo poo, I didn't buy the right impact bits meant for impact drills, I used the wrong tool for drywall for years until someone told me. It feels more condescending to be like... did you know impact drills aren't meant to be used for drywall? Did you know there is a drill that has the speed but not the torque of an impact? Well??? Did you?

Also, no, most people don't read product descriptions. Like your bosch miter saw clamp issues, it happens, someone tells you and you learn. There are a ton more knowledgeable people here than me, I just enjoy talking about this stuff. No big deal

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 11, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I didn't mean it to be condescending, I had no idea I was blowing through the wrong bits until someone told me. It could easily have read and been just as true: I didn't know gross bits are poo poo, I didn't buy the right impact bits meant for impact drills, I used the wrong tool for drywall for years until someone told me. It feels more condescending to be like... did you know impact drills aren't meant to be used for drywall? Did you know there is a drill that has the speed but not the torque of an impact? Well??? Did you?

Also, no, most people don't read product descriptions. Like your bosch miter saw clamp issues, it happens, someone tells you and you learn. There are a ton more knowledgeable people here than me, I just enjoy talking about these stuff. No big deal

Alright fair enough, just perhaps a bit too sweeping a statement. I mean, the bits I buy in bulk for my impact driver are good quality ones designed for impact drivers, so "the cheap bits you buy in gross are poo poo" and "No one buys the right impact bits" narked me off a bit.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Yea for sure, I've just made so many common mistakes that I'm like oh nononono don't be like me that is the dumb way to do things, why aren't you doing things the right way.

Any advice I have is 100% from making a mistake, watching someone else make a mistake or having someone else explain to me the right way of doing things. None of this is natural. Ideally I'll get to a place where I see and avoid mistakes but until then I'm stepping on all the rakes

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have had Phillips bits just snap driving 3” screws with an impact. They probably weren’t impact bits. Wear your safety glasses! I tried installing drywall with an impact and just shot screws straight through the paper- a regular drill with a clutch works a million times better.

I used to use drywall screws for everything except pocket holes but then I discovered my cabinet supply place has self drilling square drive screws in literally every shape and size and I have never looked back. Spax are also great but ain’t cheap.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I use this sleeve for installing drywall, it accepts regular pbits so potentially could be used with any type of screw.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-7-Piece-1-in-2-Drywall-Phillips-High-Speed-Steel-Hex-Shank-Screwdriver-Bit-Set/3460410

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Suggestions for a solid side-handle corded drill with 1/2" keyed chuck that stands a chance of being handed down to my kids? Currently toying with a Makita spade handle vs. DeWalt spade handle. Whatever I get will spend a fair amount of time spinning 4"-6" hole saws.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Butch Cassidy posted:

Suggestions for a solid side-handle corded drill with 1/2" keyed chuck that stands a chance of being handed down to my kids? Currently toying with a Makita spade handle vs. DeWalt spade handle. Whatever I get will spend a fair amount of time spinning 4"-6" hole saws.
The Dewalts are like $99 and still made in the USA and one broke my hand once so they're pretty strong I guess.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-7-8-Amp-1-2-in-Variable-Speed-Reversing-Drill-DW235G/100050769

Makita always makes good stuff too. Don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

We're remodeling our entire house, a 90-year-old farm house. The studs are so dense that after running new electric and drywalling 5 rooms, I have gone through about 3 full tic tac packs of #2 Philips - and 3 drills. I'm almost at the point of drilling pilot holes for drywall screws.

90 years ago the availability of quality, old growth lumber was much greater. The U.S. East, Midwest and South used to be a literal rainforest before the hordes overran it like the festering, ravenous, insatiable, drunken termites they were.

Pause. But, hey, it was a living.

Plus those studs have had that long to cure out, and who knows, they could be yellow pine or some other hardwood equivalent.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I've got a set of air-powered nailers that I like, but occasionally want to use just to drive a couple of nails at a time fixing things around the house. Is there an easy way to run them off a cartridge or small tank instead of dragging out my compressor ever time I want to use them to drive a couple of nails, or should I look into a battery-powered nailer in my ecosystem (DeWalt 20v)?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

I use the Makita one with a forward / reverse on like a rocker trigger. Only complaint is it's not variable speed. Works great for mixing concrete, but the single speed kinda sucks. I'd get this one next time. It also seems like it'll be very easy to lose the Chuck key.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Brute Squad posted:

Is there an easy way to run them off a cartridge or small tank instead of dragging out my compressor ever time I want to use them to drive a couple of nails

This is what I do. I just bought a smaller, light, tank (https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html) and added a pressure regulator (https://www.harborfreight.com/150-PSI-Air-Compressor-Regulator-Kit-with-Dial-Gauge-68223.html) and lightweight coiled hose (https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-x-25-ft-coiled-polyurethane-air-hose-61974.html) + female quick connect on it. Then, I made a male-to-male quick connect short length of hose that I use to connect it to the main compressor to fill it with air.

Use your main compressor to fill the tank up to the max (125psi) and set the regulator to the 90psi or whatever for the tool. I can get a few dozen nails, top off some tires, or even enough to crack a stubborn nut with the impact with the small tank. I personally don't like the battery nailers: they're bulky, heavy, and slow. If I'm shooting a zillion nails, I'll break out the pancake compressor, but the portable tank is great for quick jobs where I need portability.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mr. Mambold posted:

90 years ago the availability of quality, old growth lumber was much greater. The U.S. East, Midwest and South used to be a literal rainforest before the hordes overran it like the festering, ravenous, insatiable, drunken termites they were.

Plus those studs have had that long to cure out, and who knows, they could be yellow pine or some other hardwood equivalent.

I love the idea that people are salvaging ships that have been sunken for over a century for the lumber they are made from, like some kind arboreal pre-atomic steel.

e: also we apparently sunk so many just floating them down rivers like idiots that there is an entire industry in dredging them up: https://www.timelesstimber.com/

Hubis fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 12, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

It smells like pine at least, but I don't know for sure what kind. Anyway, sometimes I'll simply not be able to screw in the last 1/4" and I've even sheared off screw heads a few times trying. I took to using thinner and shorter screws and that did help some. Even trying to nail in the baseboards and so forth presented a challenge; it seemed like I was bending every other nail at times. I did start drilling those. I never used the impact setting on the drill for screws though; I figured that would make things worse for consuming the bits.

I think the main culprit trashing the drills was the wiring though. Using a spade bit is even more of a chore on these studs and many times it would just catch and dead stop the bit - hard on my wrists too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hubis posted:

I love the idea that people are salvaging ships that have been sunken for over a century for the lumber they are made from, like some kind arboreal pre-atomic steel.

e: also we apparently sunk so many just floating them down rivers like idiots that there is an entire industry in dredging them up: https://www.timelesstimber.com/

Only way to get bogwood, like this really nice form of blackened oak, the baltic sea in particular is one of the environments it can develop in because it's brackish and shipworm cannot survive there.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Hubis posted:

They're doing similar down in Tasmania as well. Pulling timber out of a dam that was flooded for hydro power years ago. It looks pretty awesome.

http://www.hydrowood.com.au/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

It smells like pine at least, but I don't know for sure what kind. Anyway, sometimes I'll simply not be able to screw in the last 1/4" and I've even sheared off screw heads a few times trying. I took to using thinner and shorter screws and that did help some. Even trying to nail in the baseboards and so forth presented a challenge; it seemed like I was bending every other nail at times. I did start drilling those. I never used the impact setting on the drill for screws though; I figured that would make things worse for consuming the bits.

I think the main culprit trashing the drills was the wiring though. Using a spade bit is even more of a chore on these studs and many times it would just catch and dead stop the bit - hard on my wrists too.

You'd probably be (or have been if you're near done) using an auger bit and one of those 1/2" 2 handle drills for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Why do I have so much trouble finding brad-tip wood drill bits in the sizes I want? Do most people just use generic drill bits for wood and I'm the weird one? Finding e.g. 3.5mm bits in bulk is real difficult.