Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJyYhLxcRhM

Now I'm just hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm about to embark on a weekend long marathon of the Heisei era films. Starting Godzilla 1985 in a few hours. :getin:

I've only ever watched a handful of Showa era movies, so I'll be seeing these Heisei joints for the first time. Should I watched them dubbed or native with subtitles?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

I'm about to embark on a weekend long marathon of the Heisei era films. Starting Godzilla 1985 in a few hours. :getin:

I've only ever watched a handful of Showa era movies, so I'll be seeing these Heisei joints for the first time. Should I watched them dubbed or native with subtitles?

Honestly there isn't much of a difference. The Heisei Dubs were done very faithfully for the most part and if you're used to 90s dubs, you'll be at home.

So do whatever you're comfortable with. I would recommend this pattern

Return of Godzilla is only subbed, though 85 is only dubbed

Biolante works either way

Ghidorah works either way

DO NOT WATCH GODZILLA VS MOTHRA SUBBED- it is far too boring a movie to have to pay that much attention to it. Put the dub on and relax until the really good kaiju stuff happens.

Watch VS MechaGodzilla II subbed if you can- Rodan being called Radon is annoying as poo poo

ESPECIALLY DO NOT WATCH SPACE GODZILLA SUBBED- gently caress that poo poo, gently caress it hard, just turn on the dub and do some laundry

Destroyah is whatever

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The Heisei monster designs are so drat good. I dont know if it was the same individual or team of individuals who came up with the designs throughout but they are perfecto in my book.

Ok maybe Mothra could have used a better one, she still looked like a goofy puppet

I remember when Trendmasters had a 12" Gigan. It was exactly how I'd envision a Heisei Gigan

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also Destoroyah is on Youtube dubbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlwXmkDNuyA

This movie fuckin rules and the dub is fine so absolutely watch it before it gets nuked by Toho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i agree watch godzilla vs destroyah but like, wait til you've at least watched the other films. it's a really good send-off to the big guy, which is weird cause like obviously not the last godzilla movie ever made but it feels like it should be, to me anyway. maybe i'm just hung-up on the bringing the franchise full-circle with destroyah being caused by the oxygen destroyer, idk

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

i agree watch godzilla vs destroyah but like, wait til you've at least watched the other films. it's a really good send-off to the big guy, which is weird cause like obviously not the last godzilla movie ever made but it feels like it should be, to me anyway. maybe i'm just hung-up on the bringing the franchise full-circle with destroyah being caused by the oxygen destroyer, idk

It is as much a sequel and capstone to the original movie as it is anything

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a shame that vs Biollante underperformed at the box office leading them to mostly stick to iconic Showa monsters instead of inventing more crazy new ones.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's why I'm hoping Legendary is allowed to continue after Godzilla vs King Kong. I loved the MUTOs. I'm hoping for more original kaiju.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

About to start Godzilla 1985, think what I'm going to see is the Japanese cut. Runtime is 1h43m. Is it the better one?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

About to start Godzilla 1985, think what I'm going to see is the Japanese cut. Runtime is 1h43m. Is it the better one?

The Japanese cut is titled The Return of Godzilla. If it's called Godzilla 1985, it's the American version.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm just going by the scraped metadata in Plex; poster and title is Godzilla 1985, but looks like the file is called The Return of Godzilla (1984). Japanese version it is :cool:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Return of Godzilla is great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I feel like it works as long as you have, like, any kind of cultural awareness of Godzilla and how important the character and franchise are. You just need to be invested enough in the character for the movie's central idea to not come off as kind of silly and overwrought.

e: also either version of Return is fine, people just tend to prefer the Japanese one because the American one is damned near impossible to find

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Burkion posted:

It is as much a sequel and capstone to the original movie as it is anything

having just rewatched it from that link, i can confidently say i had forgotten just how nostalgic the movie really was. I really have to wonder if toho was going thru some rough times in 1995, it really feels like they intended to never make another godzilla ever again. like not just the plot which has obvious ways it is like a last godzilla movie, the whole atmosphere of the film is just permeated with grief. the credits are shown over footage of the other godzilla movies even, were they like close to bankruptcy at the time?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which Godzilla movie is the one that has the cameo in Mars Attacks? I want to say its Spacegodzilla or Godzilla vs Mothra.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I like boillante and return alot, but to me now the other Heisei movies don't hold up too well. They're all about 15 minutes too long and don't really have the creative energy like the ones from the early 60s. I'd probably rank them

Boillante=Return>Destroyah>Mothra(hot take I know) > Mechagodzilla 2 > King Ghidorah> Spacegodzilla

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Return of Godzilla was pretty good. Not sure what I expected. I didn't think it'd be such a slow burner, but I liked that. Godzilla looked like he was high or smug the whole time though lol. Those eyes. Literal :smug: eyes. Gonna watch Godzilla vs Biollante later tonight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's not that hot a take

Battle For Earth has some fantastic kaiju action, the human stuff is just dull 90s environmentalism.

Also, Toho really did intend this to be The End for Godzilla for the foreseeable future.

They expected the American film to be big, and they had a whole thing with them about not making any more Japanese Godzilla movies for X amount of time.

And then 98 came and they went Oh gently caress No

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I remember I had this Godzilla Compendium book I bought from a Tower Records when I was still in grade school. Kinda wish I still had that; no idea where it is now :( I looked it up on Amazon and it's selling for $150 brand new. gently caress.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which Godzilla movie is the one that has the cameo in Mars Attacks? I want to say its Spacegodzilla or Godzilla vs Mothra.

I've never confirmed it, and haven't seen Mars Attacks in like 2 decades, but I always thought it was from the attack on Osaka scene from Biollante.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

teagone posted:

I remember I had this Godzilla Compendium book I bought from a Tower Records when I was still in grade school. Kinda wish I still had that; no idea where it is now :( I looked it up on Amazon and it's selling for $150 brand new. gently caress.

is it this one?

i've had this for nigh on 20 years and it basically jumpstarted my whole love of the franchise, brought it from a book fair in the middle of nowhere virginia when i was like, 7 or 8

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
IMDB says it's Biollante in Mars Attacks, yeah.

Which tracks, since everything between Biollante and 2000 took years to come out in America and went straight-to-video, as a result of people getting seriously pissed about vs King Ghidorah's politics. It's unlikely Burton would have seen anything past Biollante in 1995.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 11, 2019

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Just grabbed my tickets for the first KotM showing in my area, 4pm 5/30, in IMAX.

The poo poo is getting real, people!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

is it this one?

i've had this for nigh on 20 years and it basically jumpstarted my whole love of the franchise, brought it from a book fair in the middle of nowhere virginia when i was like, 7 or 8

Yep, exact same one. I remember bringing it to school and reading it at lunch with my friends. [edit] Had to have been like, 6th or 7th grade when I got it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Which tracks, since everything between Biollante and 2000 took years to come out in America and went straight-to-video, as a result of people getting seriously pissed about vs King Ghidorah's politics. It's unlikely Burton would have seen anything past Biollante in 1995.

I mean it was that and G ‘85 kinda flopping in the states, and Biollante taking a while before getting dumped on video- I recall at the time it just seemed like there was no real market for the new Godzilla movies, which is weird but there you go.

Even the releases that happened in 1998 were on tapes in LP mode to use less actual videotape, and dubbed-only DVD double features. When we started getting subtitled DVDs of classic kaiju films it was like finding water in the desert.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I had one of those orange and black kids books about Godzilla when I was growing up in the mid 80s. Wish I still had that. :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/yamato_setuna/status/1126779448315932672

What if more MonsterVerse? (This is very fake)

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1127030675670831109

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 11, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ya know that list would almost be reasonably believable if they didn't have varan of all kaiju headlining a film

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

ya know that list would almost be reasonably believable if they didn't have varan of all kaiju headlining a film

I'm not empty quoting this, I'm letting you know that I appreciate you.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Just so I'm not empty quoting here, I'd love to see what Gigan would look like as a Legendary monster.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why the gently caress is G14 not out in 4k?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Varan is actually the only part of that I don't buy, and even then, I could possibly see it.

Varan's movie isn't well-regarded, but he's a cool monster, and there'd be some poetry to bringing back the first attempt at a Toho-US studio coproduction as a Legendary Monsterverse creature. He also headed his own movie before, which makes him one of the more obvious calls if you're trying to fit in another solo movie (imagining a movie with just Anguirus or just Hedorah or just Gigan is... a strange mental image).

A lot of the rest seems frankly obvious. Of course Rodan and Mothra are going to get solo movies, they're in KotM (and Mothra is like, almost as popular as Godzilla). Of course they're going to eventually do Mechagodzilla, the west loving loves Mechagodzilla. And there's no way in hell they're not building Kong up for a movie called King Kong, that will likely end with him on the Empire State Building. And them calling the big Endgame-esque finale Destroy All Monsters is basically obvious too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Burkion posted:

Honestly there isn't much of a difference. The Heisei Dubs were done very faithfully for the most part and if you're used to 90s dubs, you'll be at home.

So do whatever you're comfortable with. I would recommend this pattern

Return of Godzilla is only subbed, though 85 is only dubbed

Biolante works either way

Ghidorah works either way

DO NOT WATCH GODZILLA VS MOTHRA SUBBED- it is far too boring a movie to have to pay that much attention to it. Put the dub on and relax until the really good kaiju stuff happens.

Watch VS MechaGodzilla II subbed if you can- Rodan being called Radon is annoying as poo poo

ESPECIALLY DO NOT WATCH SPACE GODZILLA SUBBED- gently caress that poo poo, gently caress it hard, just turn on the dub and do some laundry

Destroyah is whatever
Am I the only person who enjoys the goofy indiana jones riff from Godzilla vs Mothra? Like it's very sitcom, but funny enough.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The fake Destroy All Monsters part 2 should just be called DESTROY ALL PLANETS.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Destroy All Monsters Melee tbh

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Not necessarily - my comic book store had imported VHS tapes of the whole Heisei cycle as of 1997 or so. If a basic dork like me could have a copy of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, I’m sure Tim Burton could have gotten his hands on one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tim Burton, if he cared, definitely would have known

People KNEW about them, but they were still a bitch to get

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh, vs Biollante starts like right after Return of Godzilla. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

teagone posted:

Oh, vs Biollante starts like right after Return of Godzilla. Nice.

That's my favorite because of ghosts.