Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Anthem won’t be around by Fall.

Are we sure the plug hasn't been pulled already? I mean, it's not like anyone is playing now to report that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anthem shut down eight days ago but nobody noticed.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Cowcaster posted:

bizarrely, mass effect 3, whose the multiplayer could arguably be labeled an afterthought, had its multiplayer servers up for years upon years after the final dlc/update for the game was released.
They're still up, at least on PS3. 7 years after launch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Mass Effect 3 multiplayer mode ran via P2P. So long as EA sells the game and thus have to authenticate your account the multiplayer mode will keep working.

Oh wait does Anthem, Bob Dylan of video games, also work via P2P? Maybe it'll be up forever. Unloved and alone.

Wait a minute, I remember seeing screenshots of server errors. Nah it's going into a coffin.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This reminds me of something that happened in Star Citizen where for some ungodly reason players decide "well okay the game is bad and there's no content so I, a regular unpaid normal-rear end player, will make the game content for the devs instead, and advertise it for them!".

Like in Star Citizen there was a streamer who set up multiplayer battles over "missions" to "transport cargo" that two "factions" of players fought over for "rewards". All of the things in quotation marks were just players pretending as if those things were real. Whereas in EVE Online fights and player interaction arose because of actual programmed game features and desirable rewards, Star Citizen had to basically fake it all, presumably to fake the appearance of content so more people would buy the game. Just incredible delusion.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Okay, Derek Smart.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

Okay, Derek Smart.

Say what you will about Derek Smart, he's a one-man powerhouse who's never given up on his vanity-dream-game (unlike EA giving up on Anthem).

Has he said anything about Anthem yet!? :v:

Derek Smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART*

* is he still a mod here? That was the weirdest thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lambert posted:

Okay, Derek Smart.

This indirectly reminded me that Chris Roberts is a public defender of Anthem and fully supports the game.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DancingShade posted:

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer mode ran via P2P. So long as EA sells the game and thus have to authenticate your account the multiplayer mode will keep working.

Oh wait does Anthem, Bob Dylan of video games, also work via P2P? Maybe it'll be up forever. Unloved and alone.

Wait a minute, I remember seeing screenshots of server errors. Nah it's going into a coffin.

Best thing EA ever did was move the guy that was in charge of finding credit hacks to another projects and just go " gently caress it, cheat as much credits as you need, we don't care".

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Say what you will about Derek Smart, he's a one-man powerhouse who's never given up on his vanity-dream-game (unlike EA giving up on Anthem).

Has he said anything about Anthem yet!? :v:

Derek Smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART*

* is he still a mod here? That was the weirdest thing.

He was banned because he couldn't stop doxxing people

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Chris Roberts is a perfect example of how laughably stupid the idea that capitalism engenders meritocracy is

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Nahhhh. Chris wife Sandy (aka head of marketing) is amazing at figuring out ways to take money from desperate nerds and create cults.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I understood Star Citizen's whole crowdfunding strategy and platform was another company's work anyway?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roGo-o6YFXs

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

sharknado slashfic posted:

This feels right, somehow.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

more entertaining than anything in anthem

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I still can’t believe that Andromeda was actually better than this pile of poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sharknado slashfic posted:

I had always wondered why he was banned. Derek Smart was an incredibly lovely person and pathological liar that made up a lot of poo poo. Even his jealous Star Citizen crusade turned out to largely be lies and taking credit for other peoples investigative work on the crowdfunding scam of that jpeg sim.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You fools! Stop saying his name!

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

You fools! Stop saying his name!

DEREK SMART

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

as if this forum is still relevant enough for Derek Smart to deign to grace it with his presence

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Still waiting for this thread to be renamed to Anthem: a bad game

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ZeeBoi posted:

:eyepop:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

ZeeBoi posted:

It's not a game, it's a live service

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
It's dead Jim

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

sunaurus posted:

It's not a game, it's a live service

Anthem: A Dead Service.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Anthem: a dead space by EA.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Anthem : Bioware tragic

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Anthem: Pile of poo poo

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Anthem: dead

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Anthem: meh (no) t'n'a

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Anthem: getting banned in Division was more fun than this

(too long, I know)

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 10, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Remember when The Division launched and you had to access a laptop to get in the game proper, and there was only one laptop and only one person could use it at a time, so players had to form an orderly queue in-game to use a pretend laptop

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

2house2fly posted:

Remember when The Division launched and you had to access a laptop to get in the game proper, and there was only one laptop and only one person could use it at a time, so players had to form an orderly queue in-game to use a pretend laptop

There was more social interaction in that single moment than the entirely of an Anthem play-through.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

2house2fly posted:

Playing through The Division 2 now, you can really tell they learned things between Div1 and Div2.

Bioware.... Bioware never changes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Yeah that was pretty funny lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

2house2fly posted:

In retrospect that was super hilarious. I just think UBISoft didn't realize it would be an issue. They did quickly fix it too.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Anthem: A Star Wars Story

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Anthem: Redeeming Andromeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Anti-consensus theory that I think may have merit:

Frostbyte is so bad that it seems the Montreal 'C' team, young developers with an experimental attitude, were the people who had the best handle on the thing. Even with institutional experience, Bioware couldn't produce anything decent with this thing.

Bioware 'decided' to use the EA engine because EA makes it. If they were unaffiliated with EA they never would have gone with the Frostbyte Engine to accomplish what they wanted their games to accomplish. Hell, for 5 years, they were just trying to make the drat thing do something fun.

It's like Anthem is a paid advertisement for the Unreal engine. And like people who wear nike shirts, we're the people wearing the "Unreal engine" shirts. And I'm almost happy to do it, because gently caress 'em. gently caress EA and their attempts to sell bullshit.