Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It's not really using a throwing weapon, it's throwing one of the weapons that you can throw, basically the maul or most 1 handed weapons. I've just been kinda shocked at how people never seem to parry it at all. I had one guy say "I didn't realize you could throw the maul."

I just kinda assumed that people in duel servers would get salty about any sort of ranged thing.

Oh, in that case, even moreso its fine to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I feel like a badass every time I parry a thrown weapon or an arrow or whatever so please throw your weapons at me lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unlucky7 posted:

So I never played Chivalry or the like. Is this game worth trying out for at least the Steam Refund period?

I never played chiv either and I'm having fun. Give it a go.
Make sure to throw the maximum number of bear traps everywhere and swear under your breath whenever your teammates obliviously walk right into them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're worried about being bad at the game because you're not a chivalry vet, don't be. You will absolutely be clowned on by Sword Lords with a million hours between the Mordhau Alpha and Chiv, but 95% of the players in this game will run into you head first just spamming left mouse click. Taking a moment to practice chambering, parrying, and feints will put you in the top 10% of player skill easily.

Or you can do what VaS does and run executioner sword and spam left click at pubbies until you're 60/10 lol

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

I feel like a badass every time I parry a thrown weapon or an arrow or whatever so please throw your weapons at me lol

I had a guy that I smacked with my maul, he backed off, I threw my maul, he parried it then picked it up and killed me with it. That's one of the situations where you can't do much but go "well... gently caress... I got outplayed"

It's weird how there aren't that many games where you get situations where poo poo like that happens. It's like a fighting game that is a bit more immersive.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Does blocking with your fists actually do anything

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it blocks other punches

it's useful if you need to smell your wrists

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also I see obviously new people joining duel servers and getting blown up by the whole server because they are just attacking

if you want to duel someone in a server, run up to them and do a weapon flourish, X and then 1 by default. If they flourish back you are good to go

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Rapier and heater shield guy kept hanging out at the catapult and fuckin me up because I love the catapult and kept coming back. Eventually I got frustrated and threw my maul at him, which somehow went over his shield and hit him in the head, killing him.

Also, learning to duck has changed the game for me. As soon as someone runs in with their horizontal swing I duck under and come back up with a head-removing greatsword swing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You don't even really have to flourish, just make it obvious that you are asking for permission to initiate a fight. I see crouch spam, distance weapon swings, slapping the ground with an overhead etc. Weapon flourish is the universal call-and-response, though.

Also unless you completely trash them/get completely trashed in a couple of seconds, toss a "good fight" or a compliment out lol

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Babe Magnet posted:

drat I went to make an eveningstar build and this thing is expensive. I know it seems better than the war axe but is it 3 extra points better? drat

Eveningstar is a more reasonable maul, not a war axe. The maul loses stamina on parries, eveningstar does less damage but has further reach. Executioner is a better war axe and both attract bloodlust noncerebal players.

megane posted:

Does blocking with your fists actually do anything

It blocks fists, if you're brawling you need to be hugging enemies so you can hitstun them to death.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

You don't even really have to flourish, just make it obvious that you are asking for permission to initiate a fight. I see crouch spam, distance weapon swings, slapping the ground with an overhead etc. Weapon flourish is the universal call-and-response, though.

Also unless you completely trash them/get completely trashed in a couple of seconds, toss a "good fight" or a compliment out lol

yeah, its not completely necessary, just the most common way to confirm that they want to duel currently

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think I'll still stick with the war axe. It lets me fit in cool useful perks like wrecker and fireproof, while also armoring up a little and carrying bandages.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
I love going into duelling servers and boxing all comers, its always fun to thoroughly work or be worked by a dude after a mutual come at me emote :getin:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

pulping a fully armored dudes head with 2 hits from the pommel of a longsword owns.

also had a 4 clash duel with a guy and felt real cool until a dude punched me to death.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 11, 2019

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I don't believe in the "gf" after every duel but if someone catches me with a really smart read I'll toss out an "oof" or "ah, my face"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
holy loving moley, I made a peasant with a carving knife and second wind, getting in three stabs before an enemy can throw a swing than parrying it when they do is good... when they forget to put armor somewhere though its GREAT because the carving knife, while shittier than bare naked fists in most contexts can shred anyone who forgets to wear armor anywhere. Of course its pure meme material and not a real strategy but by gently caress is it fun to recreate a hobo attack and watch a fully armored knight piss their tin pants.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Ran into a guy using an aim / block bot. Think it's worth making an account on the Mordhau forums to report him?

https://clips.twitch.tv/WiseRenownedCroquetteBlargNaut

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198036188603/
He's even got VAC bans on record.

My last session had me getting scammed out of the greatest killstreak I've ever had, I was so close to being cool. At first I blamed the catapult, but after watching this I realize I got hit by the trebuchets.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IgnorantZealousRatBudStar

Hommando fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 11, 2019

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

eonwe posted:

duel servers are generally a higher tier of player too

Yeah no doubt. I just hopped back on frontlines and suddenly I'm slamming rear end left and right

Highly recommend getting stomped over and over by people that are good at the game, if nothing else it'll help your parrying and patience

I'm still not Good by any means and still die all the time but i'm way better at killing folk. The only way is up!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
3rd person seems a lot easier to parry but I miss stabs. Also, can last a bit longer in teamfights since I can see around me a bit more. Anyone else have strong preferences?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
1st person is the only choice. I want to witness the carnage as close as possible. While yelling.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I got landsknecht pants and now I don't need to play anymore.

Farewell.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Literally the only thing I have learned so far about the game, is that people who are new to the genre, and / or absolute garbage tier, should stick with weapons that are "maxed" out in some way. Stick with the long spear, or a polearm for absurd reach, maul / eveningstar / war axe / battle axe for big spirit dick damage, zweihander and greatsword for your lovely braveheart cosplay as well as more big spirit dick damage. It seems like middle of the road weapons are much much harder for new players to exploit their jack of all trades trait than the aforementioned weapons. Possible expceptions to that rule being Longsword because it has juuuuust enough reach to still be awesome, and rapier because idiots like me still aren't good at dealing with stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab. Once you learn the feel of the controls and how a battle might flow, you might then transition into the middle ground stuff.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the high damage weapons are just better all around because of how the game works, its about second guessing and reacting and the more hits it takes to kill somebody the more chances you have to make mistakes in addition to giving the enemy more chances to defend and stall. Especially for objective modes, its a bit different in duels when you dont have to worry about a long ttk meaning an enemy might just respawn and rejoin the fight you started by killing them.

The amount of people I've killed by just engaging with two feints into two sideswipes with the executioner or eveningstar...

It's not like the heavy attack animation weapons are more high risk either, you can still play defensively with one. The longer attack animations mean drags are more effective at changing timing so you can catch panic parries much easier, ask anybody who fought an executioner. I've come out on top of 1v4 scenarios through good footwork and switching targets midswing with a high damage weapon, when the enemy has to hit you 4 times and you only need one or two you have an advantage even outnumbered.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 11, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

what the hell, I had to quit my first frontline game now. My team kept literally doing everything possible to gently caress up: throwing smoke bombs in our own spawn, putting walls in front of doorways out of the spawn, closing the doors when exiting the spawn, flinching you by running at you with a horse while you're killing someone, purposefully standing in front of you and blocking your view when you man the ballista because they want to take it, throwing fire pots into a 3vs1 in our favor... basically everything except straight up teamkilling

guess I'm going in a duel server now, gently caress that poo poo

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

So far the build I've had the most success and most fun with in frontline is three sets of throwing axes, dodge, brawler, chainmail and viking helmet. Nothing better than backdodging someone charging at you without a real helmet and lodging an axe right in their face. Took a bit of practice to get used to fighting with dodge and fists, though!

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

People in duel servers are the least salty about things in my experience. Sure you'll get the occasional bitch-made but most people realize that if someone is doing something that you don't like, just don't duel that guy anymore.

Rangers, like people with throwing weapons and bows are actually really easy to deal with in a 1v1 setting, so the only rage that happens when a dude with a bow or extra swords to huck around shows up is because they're usually just randomly killing people.

I love throwing weapons in duels. Most of my builds have a sidearm that also functions as a throwing weapon :) Axe and falchion are great for sending sailing into people! It's riskier moreso in duels since a lot of duelists are able to block throws! But you can, of course, morph to a throw...

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I have done pretty bleh in duel servers since this game came out but yesterday I switched to a longsword and proceeded to go 30 and 3 then 30 and 7 before turning in.

Sometimes it's just about finding a weapon that clicks for you.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
This game has the best BR mode. It's like the scrappy hobo fights at the start of PUBG, but instead of only lasting for 30 seconds until someone finds a gun, its a peasant hobo fight with trash gear for the whole match. Love that the matches last for like 7 minutes too. You spawn with 2-4 other people in your line of sight so there is no wasted time.

I thought it would be a dumpster mode, just thrown in, but its actually quite fun. Always look behind you.

Give it a shot if you have not tried it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Horde mode is pretty half-baked though. The enemies do not know how to climb ladders, so when I tried every round ended with one guy in a sniper tower s l o o o o o o w l y sniping down the entire wave.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

This game has the best BR mode. It's like the scrappy hobo fights at the start of PUBG, but instead of only lasting for 30 seconds until someone finds a gun, its a peasant hobo fight with trash gear for the whole match. Love that the matches last for like 7 minutes too. You spawn with 2-4 other people in your line of sight so there is no wasted time.

I thought it would be a dumpster mode, just thrown in, but its actually quite fun. Always look behind you.

My only highlight of that mode is not knowing where to get weapons and punching a guy with a halberd down.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain Beans posted:

It's frustrating sometimes when you rng-spawn in the middle of a big field with no loot in it and by the time you sprint to the nearest building there's a guy inside who already has a real weapon. Since you spawn with nothing but fists you can't block and you have basically 0% chance to live.

Also I wish the auto-matchmaker could set a ping threshold. It seems like the only options are "choose the exact region I happen to be in" or "search the whole world and end up in the first open slot in a 240ping server in moscow"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If you are not using a zippy mid pointer capable of both swings and thrusts real good like the Bastard/longsword, Gonna shill for the 2 point Arming sword yet again, on the subject of newbie friendly/long term viability options. 1 Point shortsword is also really good for it's value and has gotten me a lot of dead shield+rapier users to it's name. (Cleaver is also just as amazing as everyone in the thread says it is. I just prefer decent thrust on my sidearms).

Arming sword itself is well rounded enough that it functions as a viable primary for side job builds. I can only imagine being underestimated in both how much damage it can put out for it's size, as well as percived role helps a lot there. Compared to being used to finish off somebody almost but not quite killed by a big boy weapon going full backpedal.

"Oh, the idiot with the toolbox stopped hammering a wall to pull out a sword. How cute. Let's get him guys, it's 3vs1-2vs1-what is happening"

If it can carry a middle of the road casual like me, imagine what it would do in the hands of a GOOD player!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 11, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

megane posted:

Horde mode is pretty half-baked though. The enemies do not know how to climb ladders, so when I tried every round ended with one guy in a sniper tower s l o o o o o o w l y sniping down the entire wave.

Yea that one could use some more love with more gimmick dudes to expand on the giants/huge maul dude/firepot dwarfs.

They did quickly patch those towers to remove the ammo crates from up in them. Can only camp in them now until you run out of ammo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Goddamn, blue almost won by objective victory on Grad just now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ravenfood posted:

Goddamn, blue almost won by objective victory on Grad just now.

Yeah it's weird when you get to the forest and the cart, like seeing a secret part of the game you didn't know about before.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I don't usually like BR games but I gave the BR mode on this a shot and it is actually really fun. Definitely make sure to give it a shot.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Yeah it's weird when you get to the forest and the cart, like seeing a secret part of the game you didn't know about before.

This is like Blue reaching the log stockpile on Taiga. I was wandering around marvelling at this entire part of the map I hadn't seen before.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've seen camp and mountain pass go both ways but wow ate the other maps ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Weird, I usually have a good time on Grad, while Camp and Mountain Pass often go to red and I've seen the red end of Taiga like once or twice.