Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't think theres any short-circuit someone can do, other than just having convictions that are real. Trumps thing is knowing what frauds politicians are, because heck he's one too, but he calls them on that fraud in a way politicians are normally supposed to ignore so they can all play along together. Real conviction is the only way through that.

Look at Bernie saying "yeah, people in jail should vote, what of it?" on the spot despite bullshit loading of the question, and not backing down. Harris came after, gave a wishy washy "we should look at things and have a conversation" because she can't say her convictions out loud because she doesn't know how they'll play. Its the same thing with Hillary at the debates where she looked like a fish flopping around on land when she had to defend any position that used to be one way, now its another, but maybe its still that way, but who knows.

Having a real opinion that doesn't change and isn't based on market testing, you know, aka being truthful and honest, is the only thing you can do against him, and its the reason Bernie is still the only real candidate to consider.
Well yeah but have you considered he stumped for a pro-life mayor in Nebraska that one time :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The pictures of Buttigieg on the last couple of pages made me realise he really calls to mind young Tony Blair.

This is a bad, bad thing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

The pictures of Buttigieg on the last couple of pages made me realise he really calls to mind young Tony Blair.

This is a bad, bad thing.

Somewhat true, but he's definitely more bizarro Nathan Fielder

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I get the feeling that Buttigieg has just finally finished killing his campaign by responding to being aptly called looking like Alfred E Newman with "I am too young to get this joke." The funniest part are the people that are older than him saying obviously the reference to an icon of American comedy is outdated not getting the goofy character is timeless regardless of Mad's lack of current relevance.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Main Paineframe posted:

. And speaking of Trump, "SleepyCreepy Joe" is a hell of a nickname. Maybe Joe can weather the storm, but he's not gonna have an easy time.

No it's not, even if it's true.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trump's nicknames are never that good but they are deadly effective at getting empty shell politicians to lash out and dunk on themselves.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
crazy bernie just makes him sound like he wants to get you a great deal on a new well-equipped ford expedition with extra factory-to-dealer incentives

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Muppets On PCP posted:

crazy bernie just makes him sound like he wants to get you a great deal on a new well-equipped ford expedition with extra factory-to-dealer incentives

Used-car salesman Bernie can get you a great deal on a 50s Chevy straight from Cuba.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why are people acting like mayor pete saying he had to google alfred e. neumann when trump compared pete to the character is some kind of burn? he's old enough to know who the gently caress neumann is.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Groovelord Neato posted:

why are people acting like mayor pete saying he had to google alfred e. neumann when trump compared pete to the character is some kind of burn? he's old enough to know who the gently caress neumann is.

It would have been a better burn had he not grown up while Mad TV was on the air.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

When they say the quiet part loud:

https://twitter.com/IbrahimAS97/status/1127031297505935360

"Hi, I'm Joe Biden, and I'm literally up for sale."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's the same people that thought Hillary tweeting "delete your account" was an epic burn.

WampaLord posted:

When they say the quiet part loud:

https://twitter.com/IbrahimAS97/status/1127031297505935360

"Hi, I'm Joe Biden, and I'm literally up for sale."

This guy sure is running the perfect campaign to get me to stay home. I don't care if that's from 2008 he hasn't changed whatsoever.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 11, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

It would have been a better burn had he not grown up while Mad TV was on the air.

pete buttigieg is the kind of person who thinks the snl cold open is the height of political commentary

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
pete comes off as yet another sheltered rich weirdo who grew up watching more musical theatre than broadcast tv

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only people I know that like him listen to too much NPR

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Radish posted:

It seems like NPR mostly exists at this point to gaslight liberals.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"i had to google [pretty famous thing that i'm old enough to know about]" makes you look more out of touch than donald trump which is a loving feat. it's like ben shapiro fans - he gets trounced in some debate but it gets uploaded as "shapiro DESTROYS college libcuck".

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
MAD hasn't been relevant for 30 years. Even when MAD TV was on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Radish posted:

This guy sure is running the perfect campaign to get me to stay home. I don't care if that's from 2008 he hasn't changed whatsoever.

Yea, to me, it's immaterial if a Biden clip is from 2008 or 2019 because as you said, Biden hasn't changed at all.

The worst part is I think he'd be happy to tell you that himself and view it as an admirable trait.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

"The country it was built in...doesn't exist anymore."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would believe that a 37 year old chronic overachiever had never heard of Alfred E. Neuman, except that there’s no loving way Pete hasn’t been told he looked like him at least two dozen times in his life already.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Biden is literally articulating a critique of the current campaign finance system in that clip!

He's got a weird rhetorical style where he impersonates the people he's making the argument against that makes him say stuff that sounds bad when you strip it of context (see also "Paul Ryan was right when he did the tax code"), but he's awful in so many ways that we don't need to pretend he's saying things he isn't.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Biden is literally articulating a critique of the current campaign finance system in that clip!

He's got a weird rhetorical style where he impersonates the people he's making the argument against that makes him say stuff that sounds bad when you strip it of context (see also "Paul Ryan was right when he did the tax code"), but he's awful in so many ways that we don't need to pretend he's saying things he isn't.

Who cares, hit and smear the fucker in any way possible that resonates.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's irrelevant if he's attacking it or not because he's a fraud. It's actually worse because it means he knows it's wrong. How does he reconcile admitting taking big money means you will do what you are bought for with him spending the last year asking every rich interest he can for cash?

It's like him being Union Man Joe while crossing multiple picket lines to beg for money from wealthy dudes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Radish posted:

somebody described his entire campaign as honor student idpol

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
https://twitter.com/MADmagazine/status/1127076926676393984?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/BenMathisLilley/status/1126910606106402816

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Used-car salesman Bernie can get you a great deal on a 50s Chevy straight from Cuba.

Honest to god, I'd take him up on the offer. Anything I can fix myself with a socket set and a trip to Advance Auto would be preferable to the "the light's on, but you've got to take it back to the dealer to find out what's wrong" hell of modern autos.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Radish posted:

It's irrelevant if he's attacking it or not because he's a fraud. It's actually worse because it means he knows it's wrong. How does he reconcile admitting taking big money means you will do what you are bought for with him spending the last year asking every rich interest he can for cash?

It's like him being Union Man Joe while crossing multiple picket lines to beg for money from wealthy dudes.

yes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/GovernorBullock/status/1127211761793421317

who asked for this

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

He thinks nobody will notice because the last time he ran for anything nobody would have.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A Biden presidency will be pretty similar to Trump's with the difference being liberals defending the wall and nominating right wing judges.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gripweed posted:

somebody described his entire campaign as honor student idpol

Yeah this tracks with my experience.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yes hello before we start could you tell me who is grading this debate and what the criteria are?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If you hear anything other than what I wrote above you're either not listening closely enough or you're SA forums poster BrandorKP.

There are two ways to look at what's going on there. One is that's he's going to a group he doesn't connect with to really listen to thier opinions and to let them inform what he does and says going forward.

Or he's merely pretending to do that. ( What you're assuming.)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Why on earth would you give a liberal (especially one with the kind of history Buttigieg has) the benefit of the doubt after eight years of Obama and two years of Pelosi/Schumer?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BrandorKP posted:

There are two ways to look at what's going on there. One is that's he's going to a group he doesn't connect with to really listen to thier opinions and to let them inform what he does and says going forward.

Or he's merely pretending to do that. ( What you're assuming.)

He's absolutely pretending to.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Radish posted:

Why on earth would you give a liberal (especially one with the kind of history Buttigieg has) the benefit of the doubt after eight years of Obama and two years of Pelosi/Schumer?

For real, his entire life is defined by never doing anything for anyone but himself the point of aiming derision at people advocating for others.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At a certain point Democratic voters have to realize the current people in charge aren't their advocates even if they say they are on the campaign trail. You have to look at their history and not some Vanity Fair article. Part of the issue is Democratic voters are so absolutely desperate for someone like them that will actually do what they were elected to that they make up fake personas to cling to and defend. Shade Clapping Pelosi was the perfect example of this and what made it better is she's so out of touch rather than lean into it she cluelessly admitted she was clapping sincerely since why wouldn't someone respect her for being bipartisan?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/status/1127192162293231616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Even if Jomentum flags I would assume he's winning Flordia. They picked Hillary in 08 and vote for the worst politicans regularly.