Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Yes that one. And now I think the outdoor one is the one with the carps nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah! Did you try out the electric tub?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Children posted:

In Narita waiting for our flight out. 2 weeks in Glorious Nippon flew the gently caress by.

Takeaways:
- Investment in public transit kicks rear end
- Polite queueing kicks rear end
- Having access to <$10 meals at all hours kicks rear end
- Not having to have your head on a swivel at all times kicks rear end
- Having cheap vending machines everywhere kicks rear end
- Hot tubs are temp-limited in the USA for a goddamn reason, Onsen will gently caress YOU UP
- Don't pack too many city shifts into a trip because it absolutely kneecaps your level of energy
- For the love of god at least learn kana before you go, I have no idea what I'd have done without it

japan is good and cool and I am super happy it will be a part of my life until I die

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m kinda drunk but I’m gonna spill the beans.

Of all the travel threads and all these years in the forum,

Why the gently caress are most of you first time newbie japan tourist goons so so so loving terrible at Japan touristing.

If japan isn’t that great then stick to your god drat basement or subway sandwiches. Holy sheeeeet you guys are gonna get chewed out when you go else where that’s not so tourist friendly. Don’t come back

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Settle down, Beavis.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

captkirk posted:

Yeah! Did you try out the electric tub?
Wait what? I didn't see it so no I didn't. :(

caberham posted:

Why the gently caress are most of you first time newbie japan tourist goons so so so loving terrible at Japan touristing.
We are tourists. It's our job to be terrible and we will make goddamn sure to continue being terrible.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Underlying many travelers questions and concerns in this thread is a fear that their trip to Japan will be underwhelming and not meet their expectations from years of Japanese media consumption. Unlike other countries where people are less thoughtful on their plans and considerations because they have no real expectations to meet.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Japan thread: "I want to make sure that I truly see Japan for what it is (in anime) and experience the culture, religion and values therein. I do not want any fake experiences, I want to really see the country. No minute can be wasted!"

Every other Asian travel thread: "How can i be a cheap rear end western buffoon backpacker and find the nearest full moon party?"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I thought the point of touristing was to be the jerk?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

I thought the point of touristing was to be the jerk?

Only sheltered New Yorkers/Hong kongers/tokyoites or whatever but city people but never left their home town which happens to be a big city think like this.

Yes I love going to Tokyo eating at a random Wendy’s or whatever fast food. Because I can’t find it at home or where I live. Or if I’m from rural bumfuck and I’m in NYC you can’t blame me for trying a chain restaurant because it’s so ingrained in the mainstream pop culture yet so foreign.

Boo loving hoo walk fast or do whatever , you probably are still terrible in nature in attitude or small towns. And you probably don’t have much friends in the rest of the world so you feel you are oh so special as a New Yorker

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
All I wanna say is that I’m so glad to have met you all and I love you all

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shammypants posted:

Japan thread: "I want to make sure that I truly see Japan for what it is (in anime) and experience the culture, religion and values therein. I do not want any fake experiences, I want to really see the country. No minute can be wasted!"

There's definitely some of this but I also think since Japan is fairly expensive to travel to if you're not already in Asia, people try harder to make the most of it. I was casual about it since I lived right next door and went multiple times, but I can see why someone who only expects to go once in their lifetime would want to not waste time.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Only sheltered New Yorkers/Hong kongers/tokyoites or whatever but city people but never left their home town which happens to be a big city think like this.

Yes I love going to Tokyo eating at a random Wendy’s or whatever fast food. Because I can’t find it at home or where I live. Or if I’m from rural bumfuck and I’m in NYC you can’t blame me for trying a chain restaurant because it’s so ingrained in the mainstream pop culture yet so foreign.

Boo loving hoo walk fast or do whatever , you probably are still terrible in nature in attitude or small towns. And you probably don’t have much friends in the rest of the world so you feel you are oh so special as a New Yorker

I think the video is supposed to be at least partially a joke, friend :)

caberham posted:

All I wanna say is that I’m so glad to have met you all and I love you all

I've never met you, but I'm going to assume that you're a cool person until proven otherwise :hfive:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think with this thread in particular, lots of goons are just brokebrains and don't know how to do stuff outside of the room they live in

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Martytoof posted:

Is Nakano Broadway supposed to be good? I just came back and it was awful. Nothing charming or fun about it. Run down, overcrowded. Anything there I can buy in Akihabara or Shinjuku without getting trampled to death. Though I guess its’ appeal could be that everything is in one place? :confused:

idk

You can buy a tower of 7 flavours of soft serve ice cream there, it's pretty good :discourse:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mikeycp posted:

brokebrains and don't know how to do stuff outside of the room they live in

Don't doxx me.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I didn't like nakano broadway because it was kind of poo poo for old games in a way akihabara was not (nothing there like kvclab or kaden no kenchan or BEEP or the game-focused suruga-ya). It didn't seem to have any of the electronics hobbyist history of akiba and probably started as a place for manga and anime or idol nerds or something (nothing wrong with that, just not really a big thing for me).

My friend who collected japanese music CDs LOVED it though

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

There's a place there that sells gachapon second hand, so basically if there is a set or specific ones you want you can likely get them there with none of the chance/luck required of normal machines. That place was awesome.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
One year we were in nakano Broadway my buddy started geeking out because the world yoyo champion was running a store there or something. To me that perfectly encapsulates the level of specific geekery the place appeals to.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

d0s posted:

probably started as a place for manga and anime or idol nerds or something (nothing wrong with that, just not really a big thing for me).

My friend who collected japanese music CDs LOVED it though

The all Johnny's Mandarake at Nakano was a trip and I didn't understand it at all but I'm glad to know it exists. The crowd of middle aged women thumbing through everything looked like they were having a good time. Good for them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mikeycp posted:

I think with this thread in particular, lots of goons are just brokebrains and don't know how to do stuff outside of the room they live in

so i'm torn between bringing the dock for the switch or the snes mini even though i can just load up higan on my laptop, does anyone have any input as to what the best option is here with only bringing a duffel bag and a backpack as carryons?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

There's a place there that sells gachapon second hand, so basically if there is a set or specific ones you want you can likely get them there with none of the chance/luck required of normal machines. That place was awesome.

there are a few of these places in every otaku district from what I've seen, even in the sad nakano broadway clone in kobe

e:

Phone posted:

so i'm torn between bringing the dock for the switch or the snes mini even though i can just load up higan on my laptop, does anyone have any input as to what the best option is here with only bringing a duffel bag and a backpack as carryons?

:what: dude you're going to the land of good arcades leave your video games at home :psyduck:

e2: I think I'm bad at detecting sarcasm

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

d0s posted:

there are a few of these places in every otaku district from what I've seen, even in the sad nakano broadway clone in kobe

e:

:what: dude you're going to the land of good arcades leave your video games at home :psyduck:

e2: I think I'm bad at detecting sarcasm

i lost interest after realizing that initial d is just a rhythm game but with a steering wheel and pedals

(the online mode still rips)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

If initial D is was the best thing you could find to play you were in a Bad Arcade

Here's a list of good ones I've been to:

Tokyo
HEY - Akihabara
Natsuge Museum - Akihabara
Ebi-sen - Nerima
Mikado - Takadanobaba and Ikebukuro
Daiba 1-Chome - Odaiba (more of a kitschy retro themed place but good if you like really old stuff)

Osaka
Taito Station - The one on the main drag in Denden town, not the one by Namba station
レトロゲーセン ザリガニ - Two locations in Shinsekai and one on denden town main drag almost across the street from the Taito Station

Kyoto
A-Cho

Kobe
Super Amusement Square Algo - near sannomiya station by the entrance of Ikuta shrine

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

d0s posted:

This is good news for me.
Cat hats and keychain animals

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

d0s posted:

If initial D is was the best thing you could find to play you were in a Bad Arcade

Here's a list of good ones I've been to:

Tokyo
HEY - Akihabara
Natsuge Museum - Akihabara
Ebi-sen - Nerima
Mikado - Takadanobaba and Ikebukuro
Daiba 1-Chome - Odaiba (more of a kitschy retro themed place but good if you like really old stuff)

Osaka
Taito Station - The one on the main drag in Denden town, not the one by Namba station
レトロゲーセン ザリガニ - Two locations in Shinsekai and one on denden town main drag almost across the street from the Taito Station

Kyoto
A-Cho

Kobe
Super Amusement Square Algo - near sannomiya station by the entrance of Ikuta shrine

unironically, thanks for the recommendations. the club sega on the edge of sakae in nagoya (next to the hooters and hub :thunk: ) had mr driller on 3 plays for 100 yen last time i went.

i do like initial d though because i grew up with it and raced cars for a bit and the new cabinet is pretty nice and slick. i'm not going to do it, but i have thought about it... getting into starhorse 3... (note: i know that this akin to saying "i'm thinking about taking up smoking")

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Happy Litterbox posted:

Wait what? I didn't see it so no I didn't. :(

We are tourists. It's our job to be terrible and we will make goddamn sure to continue being terrible.

The electric basically runs a weak current between two leads. It feels super weird. I could only deal with it for a few seconds.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

captkirk posted:

The electric basically runs a weak current between two leads. It feels super weird. I could only deal with it for a few seconds.

Yeah I lasted maybe 30 seconds, my partner fuckin loved it though.

Also I brought the Switch to Japan but only for our flights, cause loving duh

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
If you own a Switch and don't play it on trans-Pacific flights then I think you wasted $300.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Theres a Sega arcade in Akiba that has a floor full of VF5 machines. Its the best.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Do airplane USB ports provide enough power to sustain a Switch in use?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've never had one that didn't, having flown United, Hainan, Cathay Pacific, and American in the last couple of years.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
What's the best knife to bring on a two week sightseeing tour of Tokyo + Kyoto?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you know Hanzo steel?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

arisu posted:

It didn't charge ours a whole lot, but it kept the battery level at the same % while playing it.

Whoever recommended World Breakfast All Day, thank you! That was fun! Korean breakfast was good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

arisu posted:

Just bring a power bank like every other modern person

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

I’m kinda drunk but I’m gonna spill the beans.

Of all the travel threads and all these years in the forum,

If japan isn’t that great then stick to your god drat basement or subway sandwiches. Holy sheeeeet you guys are gonna get chewed out when you go else where that’s not so tourist friendly. Don’t come back

I’m just bad at touristing in general man :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bofast posted:

I've never met you, but I'm going to assume that you're a cool person until proven otherwise :hfive:

Can confirm!

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Speaking of being bad at touristing: Catched a flu and parts of my body hurt like mad. Honestly considering going back to bed and not move until evening.

Feeling bad about wasting a day though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Look at the JapanTravel subreddit if you want to see some brainless morons

Latest question: what's the rain like in August?