Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Jeep dealerships can print money on Gladiators. The demand for those is going to be PT Cruiser insane.

Is Nitro fill what I think it is? Are they really charging $500 to fill your tires with nitrogen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jeep dealerships can print money on Gladiators. The demand for those is going to be PT Cruiser insane.

Is Nitro fill what I think it is? Are they really charging $500 to fill your tires with nitrogen?

Because ITS PROFESSIONAL GRADE!!

And they also have PROFESSIONAL GRADE nitrogen shocks.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Volmarias posted:

You don't need door dash, you just pay the cell companies for it.

I Gave a Bounty Hunter $300. Then He Located Our Phone.

I wouldn't be surprised if door dash did sell general location info though.
Considering Gas Buddy sells location data, I'd just assume any other corporation with that data does as well.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Cacafuego posted:

Crosspost:

^^thats for a Jeep, by the way.^^

Is dealer mark just the markup? Cuz goddamn

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I mean it’s calling people marks right there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jeep owners are a whole other breed of BWM. There's a forum for just the most recent generation, which has barely been in production for a year and it has more activity than most SA threads.

But you do get gems like this:

He managed to hit a bystander while doing that bad enough to require a medivac. That's going to be some insurance rate increase.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Cacafuego posted:

Crosspost:

what the gently caress

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

Crosspost:

I looked on their online builder, and gone top end and most of addons, still couldn't get it to 57k.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you want, you can google the VIN and find the options. Among other things, that one is the Rubicon model which starts at $43.5K.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Maxing out everything I managed to get to 61k. So that plus 15k in dealer markups will make it $75k+. And that’s before sales tax.

There’s a waiting list on these so...yeah. Someone will pay that price and think themselves lucky for it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maxing out everything I managed to get to 61k. So that plus 15k in dealer markups will make it $75k+. And that’s before sales tax.

There’s a waiting list on these so...yeah. Someone will pay that price and think themselves lucky for it.

Bolded the important part. Limited supply plus large demand equals dealers being able to charge whatever the gently caress kind of markup they want.

Dealer markup isn't anything like that on the random current model year sedan sitting on the lot next to the other 3 with slightly different mixes of color/trim/etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
MSRP should already contain the dealer markup (MSRP vs factory invoice), so this is literally just a "F U" price.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

MSRP should already contain the dealer markup (MSRP vs factory invoice), so this is literally just a "F U" price.

Yes, but....do you know what the "S" in MSRP stands for?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wonderful. Why even bother selling the nitro fill for 600 when you're bald faced lying it's worth 15k over msrp.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

Wonderful. Why even bother selling the nitro fill for 600 when you're bald faced lying it's worth 15k over msrp.

If some idiot wants to pay for it, why wouldn't you sell it?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If people are buying it then it's not overpriced.

The last time there was a vehicle in this much demand might have been the P.T. Cruiser. This Jeep is only about 23% over MSRP. People were buying P.T. Cruisers for 50% over MSRP. Granted, 50% over MSRP was still only a $30k car.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jeep owners are a whole other breed of BWM. There's a forum for just the most recent generation, which has barely been in production for a year and it has more activity than most SA threads.

He managed to hit a bystander while doing that bad enough to require a medivac. That's going to be some insurance rate increase.

Anyone else suddenly feel like watching Ghost Dad? Yeah, me neither.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

The last time there was a vehicle in this much demand might have been the P.T. Cruiser. This Jeep is only about 23% over MSRP. People were buying P.T. Cruisers for 50% over MSRP. Granted, 50% over MSRP was still only a $30k car.

I can't believe people were paying a premium for those. They were such lovely cars.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can't believe people were paying a premium for those. They were such lovely cars.

Wait till you find out about Jeep "quality."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Wait till you find out about Jeep "quality."

Senior year of high school I was standing on a corner when a PT Cruiser got t-boned right in front of me. I think this was the first year the Cruiser was out. I was one of the first people there, calling 911, and generally trying to do what I could (which wasn't much other than talk to 911 and tell them the intersection).

The passenger side door blew into the cab. Not all the way in, but it was pinning the passenger pretty bad. She was pretty hosed up.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ouch, right in the angry eyes (rawr so angry) that I assume it has/had installed.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

e: dp

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
When I was working at a car rental place just out of college I drove PT cruiser they had kicking around and I was blown away by how lovely the interior plastics were and how poor the fit and finish was. I am not a car guy and usually don't notice that type of thing but it was painfully obvious. I think even the Chevy Aveo was nicer to drive, and those are tiny tin can cars with no leg room that also managed to have a huge blind spot because of how they designed the qindows/pillars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

Senior year of high school I was standing on a corner when a PT Cruiser got t-boned right in front of me. I think this was the first year the Cruiser was out. I was one of the first people there, calling 911, and generally trying to do what I could (which wasn't much other than talk to 911 and tell them the intersection).

The passenger side door blew into the cab. Not all the way in, but it was pinning the passenger pretty bad. She was pretty hosed up.

probably true of pretty much any car you could have bought at the time. side impact was shockingly bad until about 10-15 years ago.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

probably true of pretty much any car you could have bought at the time. side impact was shockingly bad until about 10-15 years ago.

Surprisingly enough, saturns were some of the first to get this right. It was such a big deal at the time that we (FD vehicle extraction techs) were specifically trained on them, and GM was sending around cars with cut out body panels so we could see how the system worked along with course materials. It was essentially high strength steel bars that may or may not end up through the door jamb depending on the impact, but they keep the passenger compartment intrusion to a minimum. Problem is our normal hydraulic tools won't cut them so you need to know where they are and where they go so you can cut access to pull them out to open/pry off the door.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The worst day of my life was judging the PT Cruisers at a big auto show. They volunteered to judge our group (Toyota Supra club) so it was only fair, but picking out the nicest turd is difficult.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I worked on a ferry in the summer of 2004 and for some reason all the French tourists had rented PT Cruisers that summer.

I’m pretty sure I’d still get shivers if someone called out “PT Cruiser, four pax” over a radio to this day.

Also none of them knew how to drive automatic which just boggles the mind.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FrozenVent posted:

I worked on a ferry in the summer of 2004 and for some reason all the French tourists had rented PT Cruisers that summer.

I’m pretty sure I’d still get shivers if someone called out “PT Cruiser, four pax” over a radio to this day.

Also none of them knew how to drive automatic which just boggles the mind.

I don't drive as much anymore since I work from home, on in the weekends I use my wife's car that is a manual because it's bigger for cutting kids and groceries. Sometimes when I switch back to mine I keep reaching for the stick, so I kind of get that they might have a really ingrained muscle memory and if they have literally never driven an auto I could see it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

People liked the PT?

We always called it the PT loser.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My dad's not a car guy, but the only rental he ever returned/exchanged on a family trip was a PT cruiser.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

spwrozek posted:

People liked the PT?

We always called it the PT loser.

Boomers loved them.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Nocheez posted:

Boomers loved them.

This. My Dad has been a die hard chrysler/jeep guy since I was a kid. We had a reliant K wagon and all that. The early 90's cherokee was worthy of praise, but when that PT came out, my Dad wanted to pre-order one. That whole era of new old cars was nuts. The PT, the Plymouth Prowler, the SSR, the new Beetle, the new Mini, the new Thunderbird. Chrysler capitalized on it pretty hard with the Charger and Challenger too. The only one that really kept going was the Challenger after all these years. All the classics got redone and all the boomers wanted the woody panel wagons that the cooler boomers had when they were younger. Remember the wood sided PTs and Mini vans? All of that was because of those woody vans.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was looking up stuff on PT Cruisers and it's just bananas. There were Cruiser clubs all of the world and people spent tens of thousands of dollars customizing their cars with suicide doors and all kinds of extras. I remember people being angry that Chrysler couldn't get a Hemi into their faux hotrod. I think they finally managed to squeeze in a faster engine a few years later. But it was also probably the first popular crossover vehicle. It was a pile of poo poo, but it was a pile of poo poo that had good storage and a higher seating position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxqtnI4I4c

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The pt cruiser was a shittier Neon that had less horsepower and worse quality. It didn't even have the ability to keep going on sheer hatred like the Neon would, Neons would have to die by fire to finally give up the ghost and be ready for the scrap yard.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Yeah it sold ok but was still a niche vehicle. It would not have been a top 30 selling model and for point of comparison they sold about as many PT Cruisers in ten model years from 2001-2010 as Ford sells F-150s in any one model year.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Crosspost:

Xenoborg posted:

What category do amusement parks fall into and is there a better than 2% rewards card for them? Looking to spend 3k at universal studios.

I guess since I live here spending $3k at universal studios is mind bogglingly BWM, but at least this goon is looking to get some cash back?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah it sold ok but was still a niche vehicle. It would not have been a top 30 selling model and for point of comparison they sold about as many PT Cruisers in ten model years from 2001-2010 as Ford sells F-150s in any one model year.

Yeah but putting bullet hole decals on your F-150 is unconscionable, whereas with the PT Cruiser...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Is it just my own observational bias, or did PT Cruisers seem to be broken down or burned out on the side of the road way more often than any other vehicle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The pt cruiser was a shittier Neon that had less horsepower and worse quality. It didn't even have the ability to keep going on sheer hatred like the Neon would, Neons would have to die by fire to finally give up the ghost and be ready for the scrap yard.

Ahhh, you don't live in the great salted north I see. Neons have rusted away here pretty long ago - like, the unibody in important places like where the suspension connects to it.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

as Ford sells F-150s in any one model year.

I mean, I get what you're trying to say here, but the F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the WORLD many years on and off and has been the best selling truck in the US for something ridiculous like 4 decades. I'm not sure it's a reasonable comparison.