Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

What the hell's the point of giving us a choice if they won't let us pick it? There isn't even an in-universe explanation, just "There's no way you can be that dumb, let's be real"

Food fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“FOOD FIGHT!” you bellow.

You stand up and fling a handful of blue eggs at the kid across the table. They splat all over his face. Pat flips his toast like a Frisbee at another kid. You both laugh.

Without warning, a big hand grabs you by the collar.

Uh-oh! It’s Coach Rex!

Veins bulge in his forehead. “Come with me,” he growls.

Coach Rex takes you from the cafeteria to his office.

“So you’re messing with the eggs,” he snarls. “Throwing around vital nourishment.”

“No!” you gasp. “I was just having fun.”

You blink. You can almost see steam coming from Coach Rex’s ears.

“Let me show you something,” he says. “I think you’ll find it very interesting.”

quote:

Coach Rex points to a large ant farm on his desk. Pasted on it is a handwritten label. It says CAMP FARM.

Coach Rex lovingly pats his ant farm and waves at the little occupants.

“See the ants doing their job?” he barks at you. “They don’t talk back. And they don’t have food fights.”

You nod your head numbly.

“This camp is like the ant farm. And the campers are like ants. Do I make myself clear?”

You think: Earth to Coach Rex. Kids aren’t ants! But out loud, you say, “Crystal clear, Coach Rex.”

“I’m sorry, but you are not Selection material,” Coach Rex declares. “But we’ll see how you do as a team player.”

Oh, man! It’s only your first day at Camp Running Leaf, and already you’ve been axed from the Selection!

What a bummer!

You leave Coach Rex gazing at his ant farm and slink back to the cafeteria.

quote:

As you slide back into your seat at the cafeteria, you notice that Pat’s lips are covered with blue egg.

“I thought you weren’t going to eat your eggs,” you say.

Pat shrugs. “One of the coaches made me. They’re pretty good.” He smiles weakly. His eyes look a little glazed.

Another camper, Charlie, comes over. He’s about your height. But he’s very muscular.

Come to think of it, all the campers look strong.

But, hey, this is a sports camp.

In a monotone, Charlie says, “I loved food fights at school. But” – he scratches his head, as if trying to remember something – “we must eat our eggs, not throw them.”

Another camper shuffles over. “Yeah,” he chimes in. “We’re supposed to follow the rules.”

You roll your eyes. What’s wrong with these kids? Haven’t they ever heard of having a little fun? You’re beginning to think this place is like an ant farm. Everyone acts like they’re in the army!

You’re not sure you can hack this place. Maybe you should pretend to be sick and call Uncle Ed to pick you up.

On the other hand, what if Uncle Ed thinks you’re a wimp?

Maybe you should just stick it out.

If you pretend to be sick, turn to PAGE 79.

If you stick it out, turn to PAGE 58.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Be a big boy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This guy are sick.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
gently caress this camp, I wanna go home. :barf:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

I'm sure this not-at-all-suspicious sports camp will be all too willing to let us go if we pretend we're sick!

quote:

You hold your stomach, groaning. “Ooohh, I’m sick. Where’s the infirmary?”

Charlie points to a low, white building across from the cafeteria. “Hope you make it back.”

Huh? Why wouldn’t you make it back?

At the infirmary door, a voice behind you makes you really groan. “Got a problem, camper?” Coach Rex asks.

“I’ve got a bad stomachache,” you reply, doubled over.

Coach Rex shakes his head in disgust. “I knew you couldn’t cut it.”

He pushes you through the door of the infirmary, locking it behind you.

“Nurse, have you repaired the transporter yet?” he demands.

Transporter?

quote:

The nurse, a bone-thin woman with a knobby bun, shrugs. “I’ve done the repairs, but I’m still not certain how well the transporter is working.”

“Well, let’s use this one as a guinea pig,” Coach Rex suggests, pointing at you.

“All right. Just step this way, dear,” the nurse coos. She steers you onto a large steel platform. “This won’t hurt at all.”

Your head whips back and forth between Coach Rex and the nurse. “Wh-what are you going to do to me?” you stammer.

Coach Rex tells you, “If you make it to Xentron, there’s no reason you can’t work the mines. I’m sure you’ll last as long as the average slave: three years.”

“What’s Xentron? What mines?” you demand, terrified.

Then, from above, a blue light sweeps over your body.

You feel a tingling. Whoa! Coach Rex, the nurse, the infirmary – they’re all fading from sight!

You’re really being transported. Just like in the movies!

Unfortunately, the transporter isn’t working right. Instead of sending you to Xentron, it beams you directly into the sun. In seconds, you’re so hot Coach Rex could fry a blue egg on your head!

But hey, it could be worse. At least you’ll get a tan this summer!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Beamed into the sun by a malfunctioning transporter.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Hide the blue eggs in your napkin.
  • Stick it out and stay at camp.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 3, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Uh.

Well, that was disproportionate.

Napkin.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Goodness these aliens have garbage technology.

Hide the eggs

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Stick it out in an act of defiance

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1ZAJ_m-sg

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote for hiding the eggs or sticking it out takes it.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“So,” you ask Pat, pretending everything is normal. “What’s the first sport of the day?”

“Baseball,” he answers in a dull voice.

Pat was always a little dull, you think. But now he’s really drippy!

You follow him out to the baseball diamond. The coach chooses up sides. You play shortstop.

You ask the players to talk it up in the infield.

No one does.

You ask them to talk it up in the dugout.

Silence.

Everyone is hitting the ball hard and playing well. But... is anyone out here having fun?

Finally, you’re at bat.

You pop a weak one up to the second baseman. The next batter drones, “Coach told me to hit a homer. Must hit a homer.”

Whoa! She knocks the first pitch right over the fence!

Now you really want to do well.

Next time around, the batter before you singles. The coach tells you to lay down a sacrifice bunt. But you get a fast pitch. Should you follow orders?

Or would you rather swing for the fences?

If you swing your hardest, go to PAGE 136.

If you bunt, go to PAGE 27.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Beamed into the sun by a malfunctioning transporter.

Achievements
None yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Be the very best! Like no one ever was!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bunt it baby

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Be the very best! Like no one ever was!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The fastball is too tempting. You lace it to left for a single. You stand on first base, grinning.

But the first-base coach grabs you and throws you out of the game. “You were told to make a sacrifice bunt,” he fumes. “You disobeyed an order.”

As he pushes you off the field, the other players shake their heads.

“Obey the rules!” the first baseman calls in a dull voice.

“Follow orders!” your pal, Pat, sneers.

“Respect authority!” another kid chimes in.

“Aren’t you guys taking the game a little too seriously?” you ask.

The coach turns to the others and says, “What do we do to those who aren’t team players?”

The campers chant in one voice, “Sacrifice! Sacrifice!”

All the players stalk toward you with their bats raised. That’s when you realize the horrible truth: They’re not talking about a sacrifice bunt.

You got to first base.

Too bad you’ll never make it home!

THE END

You know, maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I think those blue eggs might have something besides food coloring in them.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Bludgeoned to death with baseball bats by an angry mob of brainwashed campers.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Lay down a sacrifice bunt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right let's bunt it

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chitoryu12 posted:

Bunt the very best! Like no one ever was!

emptyquote from a parallel universe.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Hide avian ova in napkin.

Speaking of which, how obtuse is our protagonist that they don't notice what's wrong with the eggs until they're almost about to shovel them in their face?

The text mentions that the eggs are fried. Are the egg-yolks yellow on the outside but blue on the inside?

Or is the whole thing in lovely shades of indigo and azure and our protagonist really isn't all that observant?

PumpkinBat fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 7, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm starting to think this camp isn't big on dissent.

Bunt.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You want to move that runner to second. So you drop down a good sacrifice bunt.

“Way to go,” cheers the coach.

You smile. Then you hear him say, “You must be eating your eggs. Be sure to eat them three times a day.”

What’s the story? you wonder. Why are the coaches pushing eggs on every camper?

Over the loudspeaker, the bugle sounds. Like clockwork, all the kids drop their balls and gloves and march to the cafeteria. They move like robots, you think.

The lunch menu: blue omelette sandwiches. This time you just hide yours in your napkin. Pat gobbles his down.

Doo-doo doot-a-doot, doo-doo doot-a-doot! There goes that bugle again. Everyone jumps up and runs back out to the fields.

“C’mon,” calls Pat. “You mustn’t be late for an activity.”

You stare at Pat, puzzled. When did he turn into such a stickler for rules?

One minute, he was normal. Then...

Wait! Didn’t he change after eating the eggs?

quote:

Enough worrying about Pat. You decide to check out the soccer game.

When you reach the field, one of the goalies is holding a hand over his swollen, purple nose. It looks broken to you.

“Go to the nurse, Antoine!” his teammates yell at him. “You can’t play anymore.”

“I don’t want to leave my goal area!” Antoine cries in a plugged up voice. “And I’m not going to the nurse. No one comes back from the infirmary!”

Your eyes widen. Is Antoine serious?

A tall girl grabs you. “You can play goalie, can’t you?”

What should you do? You could replace Antoine as the goalie, or you could volunteer to play forward instead.

If you agree to play goalie, turn to PAGE 20.

If you'd rather play forward, turn to PAGE 53.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Bludgeoned to death with baseball bats by an angry mob of brainwashed campers.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Forward?

Please don't kill me. :ohdear:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's step up and be the goalie for the team!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Sorry Antoine, but you're not coming back.

PumpkinBat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 9, 2019

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I’ll guard the goal for a while,” you tell Antoine.

Antoine glares at you and stalks away.

The soccer game starts again. The powerful players kick rockets. You hope your defense keeps the ball away from you.

But they don’t. A kid from the other team breaks free and takes a shot – BOOM!

No way are you going to try to stop that. You dive out of the way of the speeding ball.

It tears the net in half!

The soccer coach, Goodrich, comes running over. “Your job is to stop the ball – even if it kills you!”

“Death by soccer kick?” You laugh. “No way!”

You glance around. Whoa. No one else is laughing.

“Okay,” you promise. “I’ll stop the next shot.”

But you don’t stop the next one, or the one after that. Some of the shots whiz by so fast, you never even see them. Finally Coach Goodrich tosses you out of the game and calls back Antoine.

You slink back to your bunk.

So maybe you’re not quite ready for the World Cup.

These people clearly don't know the first thing about playing soccer. I didn't see a single person hurl themselves to the ground and roll around pretending to be injured!

quote:

The bugle sounds for dinner, but you ignore it. You have a pretty good idea what they’re serving.

Instead, you lie on your bunk, thinking.

Why are the eggs blue?

And why is it so important that the campers eat them?

Pat returns from dinner. “You missed great eggs Benedict,” he drones. “You should eat them like everyone else.”

Your stomach growls. “I wasn’t hungry,” you lie.

A few other campers straggle into the cabin. You introduce yourself. They barely look at you.

To break the ice, you say, “Coach Rex acts like this is a boot camp, not a sports camp.”

A kid named Preston stares at you. “Don’t put down our master coach. He should be respected and obeyed.”

Pat adds, “Don’t make waves. Just get with the program.”

Man! They sound like robots!

The bugle sounds again. This time it’s playing taps. Lights go out all over the camp. No one laughs or tells stories.

You feel very alone in this creepy camp.

quote:

You lie on the bunk, thinking about your first day in camp. At first, you only hear your bunk mates snoring.

Then you hear a voice. A voice you know well: Coach Rex. He’s talking to another coach as they make the rounds of the cabins.

And what they’re saying makes your blood run cold.

“This is a pretty good crop of specimens,” Rex is saying.

“Is the transporter ready?” asks the other.

“As soon as we fix the wormhole lens unit,” Coach Rex answers.

Specimens?

Transporter?

Wormhole lens unit?

What are they talking about?

quote:

You strain your ears to hear more.

“I heard one of the specimens gave you some trouble this morning,” the other coach says. “Started a food fight.”

“Yeah,” Coach Rex growls. “Kid wouldn’t eat the eggs. But the rest are chowing down on them three times a day. Getting stronger and more obedient.”

“They better be. Or the masters on Xentron will rearrange our organs.”

“Ouch!” Coach Rex exclaims. “I hate when that happens!”

Are you dreaming this? You pinch yourself.

Yeow! That hurt!

You start to panic. Because this definitely is no dream.

quote:

You still don’t really know what the coaches are talking about. You only know it’s something bad. Really bad.

You’ve got to get away!

But you can’t leave just yet. Rex and the other coach are still chatting outside. You close your eyes and wait for your chance.

Will it ever come?

Well, that depends on what you did today...

If you played goalie, turn to PAGE 99.

If you played forward, turn to PAGE 105.

As a matter of fact, we played goalie!

quote:

It’s a good thing you played goalie and saved your energy. Because now you’re able to stay awake.

Rex and the other coach finally move on.

You quietly dress and creep out of the cabin. Your plan is to find a phone and call Uncle Ed for help. But after a few minutes of searching, you realize the truth.

There are no phones at Camp Running Leaf.

Well, it makes sense – in a horrifying way. They don’t want anyone to contact the outside world.

Then, in the distance, you hear Coach Rex’s voice on the loudspeaker. “Alert! Alert! Escaped camper!”

You listen more closely. Now you hear what sounds like 100 people marching together. TROMP. TROMP. TROMP.

The marching feet are coming your way!

Oh, no! If they catch you, you’re in major trouble!

quote:

Desperately, you try to think of a way out.

That’s when you remember the old man down the road. The one who gave you directions to the camp.

He might let you use his phone. The trouble is, it’s the middle of the night. Can you convince him to let you in?

You snap your fingers as you remember something else. The old man said there was a gas station near the camp. A gas station would probably have a pay phone. You could call Uncle Ed from there.

You dash up the driveway leading out of the camp. Out to the main road.

Now you have to decide: Should you go right to the service station, or left to the old man’s house?

Which way do you turn?

If you try to get help from the old man, turn to PAGE 84.

If you go to the service station, turn to PAGE 24.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drat, the old horror movie double bluff.

Service Station I guess.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gas station. The old man is probably in on it. :ohdear:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

These people clearly don't know the first thing about playing soccer. I didn't see a single person hurl themselves to the ground and roll around pretending to be injured!

As a Portuguese, I can confirm that's exactly how it works.

Gas station.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I see no reason not to trust the old man.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Adults are not trustworthy. Flee to the safe, cold, embrace of national corporate capital.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You cut right on the road, making for the service station. In the distance, you hear the sounds of the campers searching for you. You hear Coach Rex screaming, “Find that traitor!”

Oh, no! If Coach Rex gets hold of you, you’ll end up in the infirmary. The place of no return!

Thank goodness! There’s the gas station. And there’s the pay phone. You search your pockets for a quarter. You can’t find one!

That’s okay, you can call collect.

Uncle Ed answers the phone groggily. “Wha –?” he mumbles.

When you relate the story, he sounds disbelieving.

“I mean it, Uncle Ed,” you insist. “Camp Running Leaf – hah! It should be called Camp Run-for-Your-Life!”

“All right, all right. I’ll come get you,” Uncle Ed promises. “Just wait out in front of the gas station.”

As soon as you hang up the phone, you hide in the back of the station. The searchers are coming closer.

Peeking around the corner, you see them. An army of glassy-eyed kids.

“Hurry, Uncle Ed,” you whisper. “Hurry!”

quote:

You doze off. The sound of a car honking wakes you up.

Cautiously, you peer around the corner of the gas station.

“Uncle Ed!” you cry when you recognize his car. You run to the station wagon.

You yank open the passenger door – only to find that it’s already occupied.

By Coach Rex!

The coach grabs your wrist. “No more escapes from you,” he snarls as he loads you into the backseat.

“Uncle Ed, what’s happening?” you plead.

“I took you to Camp Running Leaf instead of Camp Pendleton on purpose,” he says. “Our alien masters pay me well to direct kids here. It’s a recruiting station for Xentronian mine slaves.”

“But – but you’re my own uncle!” you wail.

Uncle Ed shrugs. “Sorry about that. Just business. Nothing personal. Now, where can I drop you off, Rex?”

“The infirmary,” Rex commands. “From there, this camper is going on a long trip.”

“Right.” Uncle Ed chuckles and turns to you. “Well, kid, soon you’ll be shoveling klatu crystals in a Xentronian mine. I hope you dig the experience!”

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Betrayed by Uncle Ed and recaptured by the Xentronians.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Volunteer to play forward instead.
  • Go to the old man's house.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Wow, what a jerk.

Go to the old man's house.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jesus, that was a full on "nothing personal kid".

Visit the old man

Also, Title Drop!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly wonder how many kids were hurt by the fact that so much 90s children's media emphasized "Only trust your fists. Adults will never help you"

Old man. Helping us out. A new age.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

I honestly wonder how many kids were hurt by the fact that so much 90s children's media emphasized "Only trust your fists. Adults will never help you"

Old man. Helping us out. A new age.

Within the week, there will be Old Men. Running from Camp.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is a country for old men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh right, this is Goosebumps. Family is useless. :negative:

Trust the old man, I guess.