Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Thank you Robot Style for giving us a little behind the scenes perspective, it's cool.

Also, I'm glad there wasn't much battling, weirdly enough. I think with how realistic it was, any more battling would kinda feel cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought there was a minimum of 256 steps to generate an egg at the daycare but my Ditto and Torchic just did the deed and popped out an egg within like 20 steps.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
IIRC the 256 step counter still goes even if there's nothing in the daycare.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Between the Sinnoh League poster and the outright mention of Mewtwo being from Kanto it seems to take place in the same world as the games and/or anime, which has some interesting implications.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I saw Detective Pikachu! It's not a very good movie but it is a REALLY GOOD Pokemon movie. Also my favorite Pokemon Togepi makes a cameo, I am truly blessed.

My biggest issue with the movie was them trying to say with a straight face that Mewtwo was the most powerful pokemon on earth when the dude is standing in front of the Sinnoh legendary statues. Like, is Arceus a joke to you?

CUTE STORY TIME: during the movie, when Mewtwo is recaptured by the Omega Ditto with laser pods and taken away, some little kid cried out "Mewtwo!" and the whole theater erupted into "awws" of heartfelt laughter. It was loving magical, ok. You go live your best life, kid. We all love you.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Note Block posted:

CUTE STORY TIME: during the movie, when Mewtwo is recaptured by the Omega Ditto with laser pods and taken away, some little kid cried out "Mewtwo!" and the whole theater erupted into "awws" of heartfelt laughter. It was loving magical, ok. You go live your best life, kid. We all love you.

In my theater when the first Bulbasaur showed up onscreen a kid who'd been shouting the whole film shouted "WOW what is THAT" which makes me wonder if he'd only ever seen the later gens of Pokemon and we're all very old, or if it was maybe that kid's parents and not the kid himself who were into Pokemon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Note Block posted:

My biggest issue with the movie was them trying to say with a straight face that Mewtwo was the most powerful pokemon on earth when the dude is standing in front of the Sinnoh legendary statues. Like, is Arceus a joke to you?

arceus isnt on earth hes in heaven, with jesus

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Argue posted:

In my theater when the first Bulbasaur showed up onscreen a kid who'd been shouting the whole film shouted "WOW what is THAT" which makes me wonder if he'd only ever seen the later gens of Pokemon and we're all very old

LGPE starring Bulbasaur came out last year and sold over 10,000,000 copies so that kid just lives under a rock

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Eox posted:

Between the Sinnoh League poster and the outright mention of Mewtwo being from Kanto it seems to take place in the same world as the games and/or anime, which has some interesting implications.

I am a stupid babby nerd who put too much time into that and came to the conclusion that
This takes place in the games' continuity, and that in the games and here, the Pokemon anime exists as an anime, and Ryan Reynolds watched the dub (possibly with Justice Smith back before the mom died, or maybe even after to try and be able to connect with his son)
or it's just a reference

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hear horror movie music in my head watching this

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Bewear is just a good mom giving her rowdy kids a ride from the pub.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I believe that Arceus existing at all isn't really common knowledge for people in the Pokemon World, despite all the people saying "oh my Arceus" in fan fics.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It is enough in the Detective Pikachu world that a character has a statue of it and Pikachu goes "sweet mother arceus" at one point as shown in the trailers.

I think it's a bit of using the phrase "strongest in the world" literally and a bit of legendary pokemon being, well, legendary and thus not everyone believing they exist anymore.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It is enough in the Detective Pikachu world that a character has a statue of it and Pikachu goes "sweet mother arceus" at one point as shown in the trailers.

I think it's a bit of using the phrase "strongest in the world" literally and a bit of legendary pokemon being, well, legendary and thus not everyone believing they exist anymore.

Yeah, most Legendaries aren’t commonly known of outside their region and even then they’re mostly thought of as myths. The only real exception is Alola where the Tapus regularly play a role in society

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I mean that is like saying "Mike Tyson is the Strongest ever, he can gently caress you up" and other people going "uhm god is stronger"

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah, most Legendaries aren’t commonly known of outside their region and even then they’re mostly thought of as myths. The only real exception is Alola where the Tapus regularly play a role in society

Even then, they're characterized as very secretive and capricious, so their involvement in human affairs is minimal at best. It's kind of true for all legendaries and mythicals.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That said, some legendaries clearly are around. The old battle poster says "Articuno vs Steelix" which implies at least the others of the trio are known. And while Lugia is good at hiding, Ho-oh is probably out there too if the other birds are flying free. Which then implies the legendary beasts are running around too.

That said, I think that'd be fine since it's not really till gen 3 that Legendaries become beings than can mess with the whole world.

I hope we get maybe some spin-offs or sequels for this setting though. I think it's very cool to see a more "realistic" approach.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mewtwo is an atheist therefore Arceus isn't real therefore Mewtwo is the strongest.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mewtwo is an atheist therefore Arceus isn't real therefore Mewtwo is the strongest.

What's a mob to a king?
What's a king to a god?
What's a god to a non-believer?
Who don't believe in anything?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Electric Phantasm posted:

*Tips red and white baseball cap*

M'Lapras :smug:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Alxprit posted:

I believe that Arceus existing at all isn't really common knowledge for people in the Pokemon World, despite all the people saying "oh my Arceus" in fan fics.

It's a terrible bit of fanon that needs to die in a fire - it's beyond awkward and clunky and Mother of Mew rolls off the tongue so much better

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Robot Style posted:

There's actually some behind-the-scenes reasons for the specific cases you're mentioning.
We were very careful to make sure than any given shot or sequence had a good variety of Pokemon specifically to prevent repitition, but some of the worldbuilding we were doing required specific pairings.
Throughout the film, police are paired exclusively with Arcanine/Growlithe, and there were a lot of police at the parade at the end, so they are more common than they might be otherwise.
The Sneasels are also there because of the parade. Each pokemon balloon was held by a group of about 20 people, each dressed to resemble the balloon they were holding, and a pokemon to match. Most of the action with Lucy during the parade happens near the group of Lugia balloon holders, who were all given Sneasels as the closest color match to their costumes of the pokemon we had built.
Audino is actually a specific character - it's the pokemon partner of the reporter Lucy interacts with dyring the parade, but because it keeps popping up in the background of shots where you're already aware of repitition, it might seem more numerous than it actually is.

My disappointment was incredibly minor btw. Y'all did an amazing job. Thanks for the extra info! I didn't think about the Growlithe thing but it makes complete sense.

I don't know if you worked on Bulbasaur, but its scene made me tear up. I was so happy to see my favorite Pokémon be so wonderful and helpful on screen.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 11, 2019

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I haven't seen Detective Pikachu yet but I did watch the Power of Us movie and it ends with a kid revealing he put a hidden camera in his older sister's sunglasses :psyduck:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Robot Style posted:

There's actually some behind-the-scenes reasons for the specific cases you're mentioning.
We were very careful to make sure than any given shot or sequence had a good variety of Pokemon specifically to prevent repitition, but some of the worldbuilding we were doing required specific pairings.
Throughout the film, police are paired exclusively with Arcanine/Growlithe, and there were a lot of police at the parade at the end, so they are more common than they might be otherwise.
The Sneasels are also there because of the parade. Each pokemon balloon was held by a group of about 20 people, each dressed to resemble the balloon they were holding, and a pokemon to match. Most of the action with Lucy during the parade happens near the group of Lugia balloon holders, who were all given Sneasels as the closest color match to their costumes of the pokemon we had built.
Audino is actually a specific character - it's the pokemon partner of the reporter Lucy interacts with dyring the parade, but because it keeps popping up in the background of shots where you're already aware of repitition, it might seem more numerous than it actually is.

Dammit, now I need to watch it again because I absolutely was thinking 'wow there are a lot of Audino' the whole time.

Favourite dumb dork moment: when the Bulbas take Pikachu to 'a healer Pokemon', there's a shot of distant Comfey flying down right before the Mewtwo reveal, so the fakeout worked twice as well on me. I did also briefly wonder if there was gonna be a Celebi reveal.

Also Morelul is my gf's favourite Pokemon so she was trying very hard not to yell with excitement during that whole scene :kimchi:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm gonna play the Pokemon game about the LGBT deer

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Gripweed posted:

I'm gonna play the Pokemon game about the LGBT deer

Xerneas?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Did anyone else notice a sign on the far right in one of the city street scenes that was in Hiragana/Katakana? Looks like they forgot to change that one into Pokescript or w/e it's called. I do appreciate so much of the film seems to have been being shot in Japan and the cars being all right-sided and what not.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Note Block posted:

Did anyone else notice a sign on the far right in one of the city street scenes that was in Hiragana/Katakana? Looks like they forgot to change that one into Pokescript or w/e it's called. I do appreciate so much of the film seems to have been being shot in Japan and the cars being all right-sided and what not.

The city shots were actually all shot in London :v:. I wasn't sure at first, but the license plates and certain skyscrapers like the Gherkin kind of gave it away.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The target pokemon app thing seems to let you get multiple codes, but after you close out of the menu the option goes away.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ziddar posted:

The city shots were actually all shot in London :v:. I wasn't sure at first, but the license plates and certain skyscrapers like the Gherkin kind of gave it away.

Oh interesting! I'm not from there so I wouldn't know for sure. No idea then why one of the signs was in Hiragana/Katakana, I guess it's some kind of store there, but it really stood out to me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Note Block posted:

I read "Kimino---" before the scene changed. My hiragana is super rusty. :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

probably kimono girls

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
It wasn't hiragana for kimono, that I know for sure. And I glimpsed a FU or RA in katakana.

Where's Detective Pikachu? We got a case to crack, here.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
All the final evolutions of the starts in X are weirdly humanoid. Why can't I go with Rhyhorn? I love that Rhyhorn!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Just box your starter, you'll be fine.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
X and Y drop free Pokémon like candies and have a very large dex, the starters aren't needed for long.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

YaketySass posted:

X and Y drop free Pokémon like candies

even Ubers like Mega Lucario after the 3rd gym

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

YaketySass posted:

X and Y drop free Pokémon like candies and have a very large dex, the starters aren't needed for long.

The team I ended up using for most of the game in Y was just Pokémon that were given to me for free.

It worked pretty well, too

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm not sure I could box my starter. That seems wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
No it's normal and good.