Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cant believe it took me til now to play FAST RMX, goddamn it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

start with X

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Both X and XII are real good for different reasons. XII is basically a single player MMO so if that's not your jam you're going to absolutely hate it. X is probably closer to "FF" in terms of structure but thankfully still has some bullshit grinds to be had (i just loving love dodging lightning and filling up the sphere grid on all characters).

Oh yeah X has Blitzball and XII does not.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love that this clip gets trotted out to show how FFX is a bad game.

In context, he and Yuna are talking about the stresses of being a public figure and a savior. it's about how you always have to put on a happy face around the people that are counting on you, even when your life is falling apart; unfair as that may be.
So she suggests laughing out loud to de-stress and Tidus is such a doofus that he does... that. Yuna joins in as well with her own doofy laugh.

It's a very cute scene.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its executed very poorly its fine

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my problem with FFX as an introduction to the entire series is that while it has a good battle system, the setting and everything else is where the series got real weird and I kinda fell off

I liked the good ol' weird steampunk-ish fantasy setting that's in most of the old games

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Inzombiac posted:

In context, he and Yuna are talking about the stresses of being a public figure and a savior. it's about how you always have to put on a happy face around the people that are counting on you, even when your life is falling apart; unfair as that may be.
So she suggests laughing out loud to de-stress and Tidus is such a doofus that he does... that. Yuna joins in as well with her own doofy laugh.

It's a very cute scene.

the idea was endearing; the execution needed work :v:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Inzombiac posted:

Oh god no! I love tiduslaugh.avi

It was posted out of fondness. If I wanted to show how FFX was a bad game I’d post every clip Wakka speaks in.

Cause Wakka sucks. So much.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wrong. that's a ban

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It’s not my favorite in the series, but the PS4/Switch/PC port of Final Fantasy 9 might actually be a really strong entry point. You can easily play it on modern devices and it serves as a nice bridge between the SNES/PSX eras and the modern era FF titles.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of old RPG's, I've been thinking about the Ike Fire Emblems and how I actually never beat Radiant Dawn, and now my Wii is long gone as is the game I had.

Zero chance that'll ever be re-released together in any way shape or form? I get the impression that Nintendo isn't going to make FE games like that anymore, and is focusing on the Awakenings template, which I can't say I care for.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BGrifter posted:

Oh god no! I love tiduslaugh.avi

It was posted out of fondness. If I wanted to show how FFX was a bad game I’d post every clip Wakka speaks in.

Cause Wakka sucks. So much.

Wakka sucks because getting his Overdrives are a pain and he's (at first) a bigot.
But he's a friendly dude who just want to do a good job of guardianship.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
FF9 needs turbo to function which is fine but as an entry point it’s kind of bad

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

XII is basically a single player MMO so if that's not your jam you're going to absolutely hate it.
I kept hearing this, which is one of the reasons I was interested in FFXII in the first place but in my experience with the game this is just... not true at all. I'm a weirdo who enjoys playing MMOs solo so a game that functions as a single-player only MMO sounded like a perfect match, but neither the gameplay nor the story is really structured like an MMO.

BGrifter posted:

It’s not my favorite in the series, but the PS4/Switch/PC port of Final Fantasy 9 might actually be a really strong entry point. You can easily play it on modern devices and it serves as a nice bridge between the SNES/PSX eras and the modern era FF titles.
I still haven't played it but from what I've heard and seen it does sound like a pretty good entry point yeah. As long as you're okay with the game running at 15 fps of course :sigh:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Wildcard: If you have a 3DS, the Bravely Default games are Final Fantasy games in all but name, and very good.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Fast rmx looks fzero-ish. If I get it hoping for fZero gx, how disappointed will I be?

Assume I only care about single player.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FF12's defining point is that you can configure an AI strategy for your teammates rather than directly command them, but the system is too restrictive AND the challenges presented to test that system are either too easy to be a good test of the system, or just long boring slogs

Story sucked too

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jimbozig posted:

Fast rmx looks fzero-ish. If I get it hoping for fZero gx, how disappointed will I be?

Assume I only care about single player.

Very, it's more wipeout than anything. Mk8 200cc is the closest to fzero right now on the switch, though that redout looks like a decent compromise between fzero and wipeout.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wakka is great

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Speaking of old RPG's, I've been thinking about the Ike Fire Emblems and how I actually never beat Radiant Dawn, and now my Wii is long gone as is the game I had.

Zero chance that'll ever be re-released together in any way shape or form? I get the impression that Nintendo isn't going to make FE games like that anymore, and is focusing on the Awakenings template, which I can't say I care for.

I'm not sure what you mean about Awakenings template but what we know about Three Houses it's quite different from the 3DS ones.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
FF12 is good for a variety of reasons. There are cool puzzles, lots of random quests and treasures. Seriously, there is a lot of stuff to sink your teeth into if you want to do everything. You can do as much of it as you want while pursuing the story. Once you get the hang of things simple gambits can take care of most trash mobs, though if you're under-leveled for an area you'll have to apply more strategy. Boss battles need to be micro managed more, but having to do that on occasion is more of a bonus in my books. Story doesn't knock your socks off(trying to think of which FF I could say the story was really amazing... I'd put FF6/7 at the top, but that's likely rose-tinted goggles), but the world is cool for various reasons with some interesting characters.

In terms of the job system, jobs are differentiated enough that they have noticeable strengths, especially the magic users. Being able to swap in other characters is a giant boon because there will be many tough battles where you blow through most of your party and have 1-2 standing.

In closing, FFXII is a real good game and I've almost talked myself to getting it on switch even though I recently put a ton of hours into it on the PC release.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I appreciate all the advice, goons!

...but I hosed up and drove to the wrong GameStop and rather than drag my daughter on a crosstown video game hunt, I ended up picking up FFXII. :v:

I still really like the ideas behind it, time to see how the execution is I guess

[Edit: wait why is there a race of Playboy Bunnies, oh no]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 11, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

asecondduck posted:

I've tried playing VII a few times on my Vita but just can't get into it because of... well, it's fug ugly.

That's why they're remaking it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df0YG3qfZ8E

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

PS4 only, might as well not exist to me. It's loving dead to me! D-E-D DEAD

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

asecondduck posted:

[Edit: wait why is there a race of Playboy Bunnies, oh no]

Welcome to anime. Thanks America.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

what if they release the fvii remake but the ps3 version

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Facetious posted:

Welcome to anime. Thanks America.

Honestly I knew that FF, once it went 3D, was fairly anime, but I thought it didn't go much further than silly over designed armour and giant swords and spiky haired pretty boys.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
America had literal playboy bunny models so I don’t think we can judge

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lord Lambeth posted:

On that topic give me Metal Gear Rising: Revengance on Switch Konami

I’d pay the full $60 in a heartbeat. Love that game so much.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

America had literal playboy bunny models so I don’t think we can judge

Those were human women wearing costume rabbit ears.

FFXII has humoniod rabbit women. Or at least the opening cutscene did, maybe they were just there for "flavor".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Imagine, a fantasy world having fantasy races

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

There's quite a lot of fantasy races in XII, have fun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

asecondduck posted:

Those were human women wearing costume rabbit ears.

FFXII has humoniod rabbit women. Or at least the opening cutscene did, maybe they were just there for "flavor".

Are....are people’s problem they aren’t human.

Man Star Wars gonna gently caress you up

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
if you think the bunny lady is too anime then I got some bad news about the Final Fantasy series for you

e: if we're talking FFXII and anime I honestly think Ashe is worse. I hate that dumb outfit

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 11, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
sorry to burst the double standard but I'm pretty sure - and correct me if I'm wrong - the viera are the series' only example of a "fantasy race" where the fantasy is "they are sexy ladies that don't wear clothes"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Put FFXI on the Switch you cowards

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are....are people’s problem they aren’t human.

Man Star Wars gonna gently caress you up

I give Star Wars poo poo about Twi'leks.

Really any sort of alien where they're all "sexy" and 99% human but they have, like headstalks or rabbit ears that makes them "alien" bothers me, humans come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so should aliens :arghfist:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bleck posted:

sorry to burst the double standard but I'm pretty sure - and correct me if I'm wrong - the viera are the series' only example of a "fantasy race" where the fantasy is "they are sexy ladies that don't wear clothes"

I just assume Viera were there to balance out the race of extremely buff half-naked catmen from 10, and hey they carried those both over gender-wise to 14!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Shammypants posted:

PS4 only, might as well not exist to me. It's loving dead to me! D-E-D DEAD

Don't worry, only this first chapter will be released in the PS4's lifespan.