Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Enjoy posted:

Every time I think about the new naval tech changes I deflate like a balloon, I don't know how Archangel coped implementing it

It was legitimately the most fun I've had working at Paradox. But then again I earmarked vacation days for the days after Rule the Waves 2 comes out.

Also having beta testers chip in helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I've been playing some more Vicky 2 lately with NNM. Man, what a great game. The crisis system is so neat at replicating the "sleepwalking into catastrophe" of Great Wars, and when they do come, they really feel cataclysmic and change the geography of the world. In a V3 I'd ideally like to see some more ways for secondary powers to assert themselves and some more opportunities to gently caress around in crises.

Also, that one YouTube video was right: mana's out and timers are back in. But man the basic badboy system sucks

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I'm trying to play CK2 for the first time. Is there any DLC I must get? I assume there must be- even looking at the tutorials is asking me to build a war chest, but I literally cannot find the ambition or action necessary.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The ck2 thread has a good op I think about suggested dlc.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Groogy posted:

Is MapGoons organizing a Vicky 2 game any time soon?

No but I'm looking forward to organizing a game on that highly-anticipated Tyranny mod for Imperator.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Stellaris is having a free weekend and a big sale on Steam right now. Which is perfect timing, I wanted to try getting into it again now that I hear it's more developed but I was waiting on a sale to get some of the DLCs. I do have a question though: does the Megacorp expansion just give you the ability to play as a different government type? I know a lot of things were added in the update, and the reviews are unclear as to how much is included with the update and how much with the DLC.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah all the core improvements that came with 2.2 were in the free update, the Megacorp DLC mostly adds the ability to play as a megacorp (plus a few other ancillary things like civics). It's not at all necessary to start out.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah all the core improvements that came with 2.2 were in the free update, the Megacorp DLC mostly adds the ability to play as a megacorp (plus a few other ancillary things like civics). It's not at all necessary to start out.

Perfect, I think I'll wait on that one since it's not quite as on sale as all the others.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The only dlc that I would consider "required" is Utopia since the Ascension system is so integral to how the game is built now and even on its own its the source of a ton of cool mechanics related to the three Ascension paths it includes (becoming robots, becoming master biomancers and becoming psychic demigods).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnEdgelord posted:

The only dlc that I would consider "required" is Utopia since the Ascension system is so integral to how the game is built now and even on its own its the source of a ton of cool mechanics related to the three Ascension paths it includes (becoming robots, becoming master biomancers and becoming psychic demigods).
Confirming that this is the general consensus. But considering its free right now just try it out for before you (@ trapped mouse) spend anything to see if it fits your groove. Some people have had a really hard time grasping the economy and other just plain dont like it. I personally think its amazing.

edit: derp, mis-read trapped mouse's first post. Point still stands for anyone else though :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 11, 2019

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AnEdgelord posted:

Weren't most ascension perks moved to the base game though? I think it's only the ascension paths that are still Utopia-only, so it's not as essential anymore.

(Also I find all of the ascension paths pretty boring honestly. Psionic ascension being the worst, it's frankly unfun garbage and I've always regretted taking it.)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Staltran posted:

Weren't most ascension perks moved to the base game though? I think it's only the ascension paths that are still Utopia-only, so it's not as essential anymore.

(Also I find all of the ascension paths pretty boring honestly. Psionic ascension being the worst, it's frankly unfun garbage and I've always regretted taking it.)

I highly disagree about the ascension paths being boring but you're entitled to your opinion (even if I agree about Psionic being the weakest), but I could have swore that the entire Ascension Perk system was locked behind Utopia still.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AnEdgelord posted:

I highly disagree about the ascension paths being boring but you're entitled to your opinion (even if I agree about Psionic being the weakest), but I could have swore that the entire Ascension Perk system was locked behind Utopia still.

The kinda base level generic ascension perks were added to the base game in I think 2.2?

Edit: nope, 2.0.

Anno fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 11, 2019

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

AnEdgelord posted:

(becoming robots, becoming master biomancers and becoming psychic demigods).

But only if you happen to be lucky enough to draw the specific tech(s) to make those happen! Other wise gently caress you for trying to do a specific play through.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Psi is the only one that's actually gated like that, the techs for the other ascensions are virtually guaranteed to have appeared by the time you can take the perk unless you're behind on research or have been avoiding the prerequisites.

(Admittedly, it's not at all easy to figure out what's actually a prerequisite for the thing you want).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jabor posted:

Psi is the only one that's actually gated like that, the techs for the other ascensions are virtually guaranteed to have appeared by the time you can take the perk unless you're behind on research or have been avoiding the prerequisites.

(Admittedly, it's not at all easy to figure out what's actually a prerequisite for the thing you want).
When I have wanted to go genetic I've had to wait a while for the right tech before.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

I've definitely had droids show up really late, when I was doing tier 4 engineering techs I think.

e: In fact if you're spiritualist Psionic Theory feels like the easiest ascension prereq tech to get, and the second psionic ascension only requires having the first one.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 13, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

virinvictus posted:

I'm trying to play CK2 for the first time. Is there any DLC I must get? I assume there must be- even looking at the tutorials is asking me to build a war chest, but I literally cannot find the ambition or action necessary.

Here's the CK2 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874093

DLC recommendations are in the second post. Please feel free to ask any questions that inevitably arise during gameplay (the mechanics can be a bit opaque), we are a very helpful bunch.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Here's the CK2 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874093

DLC recommendations are in the second post. Please feel free to ask any questions that inevitably arise during gameplay (the mechanics can be a bit opaque), we are a very helpful bunch.

I had a brief list of CK2 DLC in the OP but just linked to your recommendations instead since they're considerably better!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lum_ posted:

I had a brief list of CK2 DLC in the OP but just linked to your recommendations instead since they're considerably better!

I noticed, thanks a lot. It's probably the final CK2 thread, the next thread will hopefully be about CK3, so I worked extra hard to make a good OP.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I know they just finished making content for CK2, but I really hope CK3 is on deck next. I really love the idea of the game, but there is so much stuff now and the antiquated UI makes it a bear to try to get into now.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
There was a new CK2 dev diary today, I don't think they're quite done yet.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I have, easily, thousands of hours in various PDX games, about 600 on record for EU4.

How long have you been able to attach armies to a transport in port???

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I think every game since EU3

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You can't in Imperator, for some baffling reason

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I *think* it was added late in EU3? I'm not entirely sure, though.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I don't recall it in launch eu4. I think it got added on Wiz's first pass at the naval AI.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

D I T H M A R S C H E N
R I S E S

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Redeye Flight posted:

D I T H M A R S C H E N
R I S E S

i really want to play this new expansion for eu4 goddamnit

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

D I T H M A R S C H E N
R I S E S

Read the bread book!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

D I T H M A R S C H E N
R I S E S

:yeshaha:

Remember:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only moral way to play this game is by picking Dithmarschen every single time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 18, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

D I T H M A R S C H E N
R I S E S

I might get back into eu4 just for this

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Other great new mission trees in this update: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-14th-of-may-2019.1176867

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Dithmarschen better be able to, like, voluntarily claim the mantle of revolution target and spread the revolution themselves if they last long enough

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

Dithmarschen better be able to, like, voluntarily claim the mantle of revolution target and spread the revolution themselves if they last long enough

The fact that France cant do this already is a crime

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Surviving Mars is free on steam for the weekend.

It's uh... really bland?

I also think that the free version has no DLC, which is certainly not helping.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

You can't in Imperator, for some baffling reason

Yeah, this kills me

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Average Bear posted:

I think every game since EU3

I could've sworn that you do it in the EU3 tutorial.

Of course I always send my boats out to sea first just because that's better visualization and you can board from all along the sea zone.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Marching an army on to ships parked in a sea zone takes longer than leaving port with them already attached, though. Unless I'm just imagining that, but I swear it's way faster to attach in port and just sail away than leave port and march everyone on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

D I T H M A R S C H E N
R I S E S

okay what the gently caress is EU4 having a Commune nation available

because that might be the only thing that would make me go back to that old saddle