Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The money from Merching really adds up, especially when you have a seed with 2 gem mines and a salt mine like a half a day's journey apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
On another note my peasant game is starting into the mail hauberk phase of the midgame and by Davkul the extra four bodies are a total game changer.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Basic game is 50% off on Steam for the next 19 hours. If you still haven't bought it, now is the time.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

The Barbarians are a little annoying because I'm locked into working for the few people who don't hate me while building up.

Every now and then, I get bored, backslide, and go raid caravans. I like the imagine the lovely good luck charm monk screaming at me the whole time. Also he is my bannerman.

What I did with barbs was go south hitting raiders all the way for the sweet free round shields, grab a few peasants to round my crew of ne'er do wells up to 6. I put the peasants in the middle of the line and then started hitting raider camps in hostile turf. After about I month I had really good armor (you get to keep almost all the armor/weapons of everyone you kill, even if it's reduced to 0 so it makes gearing up from raiders a breeze) and by then I was just disliked by the other towns for the most part.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Something I just noticed but don't remember seeing in any dev blogs, they added a new tier 3 trait, Relentless. It means you only suffer 50% of the fatigue penalty to initiative. Seems like it's designed as a buff for initiative-heavy builds like the fencer and archers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The greatest enemy of the hedge knight is the hedge knight himself. This is wisdom after getting chopped the gently caress up by a bunch of thugs that surrounded me.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The whip kind of owns against unholds. You can stack a ton of bleeds on them each round because they have no armor and if you are a cleaver master they go down pretty drat fast.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bogarts posted:

The whip kind of owns against unholds. You can stack a ton of bleeds on them each round because they have no armor and if you are a cleaver master they go down pretty drat fast.

Monsters in general have low armor, whip is a top pick against most of them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any npcs that use the whip, or do you have to buy it?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Kalle the Betrayer
Deserter
Dastard
Craven
Resolve: 8

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Actually nm

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 11, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone seen any new events for anyone other than the cultists?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Whips show up in weaponsmiths, yeah? I want to whip some men.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Lone wolf has some with squires.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If I was to buy one of the two DLC which one should I get?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Popete posted:

I think Warriors of the North is probably going to offer somewhat more content for the majority of players but the real answer is both.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Popete posted:

Warriors of the North is significantly better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Warriors of the North is significantly better.

:agreed:

Beasts and Exploration adds a few nice things, like a bit more variety in early game enemies and quests, and a larger map, and it helps the game feel a bit more diverse. But even as an experienced player, and even when I take companies into the extreme lategame, I actively avoid engaging with about half the things it added because they just aren't fun in the way the rest of the game is.

On the other hand literally everything I've so far encountered that was added by Warriors of the North has made me really excited and it's added a lot to the game. Even just the varied replayability of the different starting companies is a huge addition and imo better than anything added by Beasts.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I had an event I *think* was new. I found a "former kingsguard" that was dumped in the snow by barbarians. Rescuing him gave me a cripple with stars similar to the one posted upthread. I didn't keep him

I also feel like I've seen quite a few new bits of fluff writing for missions that already existed, but that could be all in my head.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Most of the new monsters in Beasts and Exploration just aren't any fun to fight. I think the Webknechts are the only standout 'yes please I want to fight these this rules' enemy from that expansion.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Most of the new monsters in Beasts and Exploration just aren't any fun to fight. I think the Webknechts are the only standout 'yes please I want to fight these this rules' enemy from that expansion.

For me it's mostly the Alps and Hexe, these two just added too much supernatural stuff to the game. The Alps can be countered with careful positioning and lots of dogs, the Hexen are super annoying cause you need to stun them if they cast their damage shield.

Speaking of which, the Staffsling might be a worthwhile counter to the Hexe's bullshit.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 11, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Night10194 posted:

Unholds are fine and schrats in small quantities but gently caress hexe especially hard

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Does bleed damage transfer through the hexe deathlink spell? Whips might end up being a good hexe killer as well if not.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Full Hexe groups are fun to fight with that fight club tactic some goon early on in the thread suggested where you just unequip all weapons from your party and punch them all to death.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Full Hexe groups are fun to fight with that fight club tactic some goon early on in the thread suggested where you just unequip all weapons from your party and punch them all to death.

General tactic was to have a low tier club as alt weapon on every bro when preparing for a Hexe fight, but who carries that many clubs.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Has anyone tried the poacher start? Running an all-archer crew has been a dream of mine for a while but I'd imagine some fights would just be unwinnable.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Doing one right now, pretty nice and I think I've been spoiled by the 'always know what you're fighting' ability.
The start is tough, but you hire a few farmers to keep dudes off your archers and you'll have some seriously dangerous arrow shooters a lot sooner than you usually would.

I do note that later in the game some of the system mastery can get a little obnoxious. That's the reason I don't play ironman more than anything else. Fat-fingering the skip-turn key or forgetting to equip an arrow quiver or something silly like that is like 90% of my save-scumming. Just correcting unforced errors that are caused by me being distracted.
The other 10% is for :xcom: events that just end up frustrating. Losing 3 veteran bros in a row to one orc warrior because of a run of really really bad (for me) rolls is... not great. Most of the time I accept the casualties I get, but sometimes it's a bit too much of a slog to come back from getting zero'd and I want to keep going with the game I've got.

I'm not sure where the barbarians fall with respect to Orcs as a challenge. They're easily as tough and as dangerous as fighting orcs, I'm certainly treating them with the same level of respect.
I've solved alps though. They're a bit of a slog, but just give everyone a spear for the +20% to hit and stay together as a group to wipe out the nightmares. Who mentioned fighting Unholds with one bro at a time? It's so weird, but having bros solo the giant angry meat pile is counterintuitively awesome. I still need to get a whip and see how those work against them.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I gotta agree with the sentiment that the Davkul start is kinda underwhelming and in need of some kind of a buff. Maybe I was just unlucky with events, but in my attempt it almost seemed more detrimental than anything else, especially what with the starting bros being garbage (compounded by the fact that I still want to keep them around, due to their fanatic trait). It didn't help that the run itself was super unlucky with regards to finding competent bros, but around day 75 I think I had turned one or maybe two bros into cultists (these were the only Davkul related events I'd had up to that point), and then the sacrifice event hit causing such a huge morale penalty that no amount of excessive drinking could stop my only competent fighters from deserting.

Starting with garbage bros and continually having to lose your other bros seems like a pretty big penalty in exchange for your cultists being enhanced with some traits that didn't seem all that amazing to me. I've heard it said that the cultist start also increases the likelihood of finding cultists for hire in the towns, but I didn't see a single one. Again I might have been very unlucky, but I feel like the frequency of the "turning brother into cultist" event should be increased, at the very least.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I've been bouncing off my Cultist runs pretty hard just because the only reliable party members you can have are Cultists, and even completely overlooking the fact that Cultists aren't particularly good there's no reliable way to find them. My most recent run I'm a bit past the first sacrifice without having seen a single new Cultist from any source (nobody available for hire anywhere, no conversions in the camp, no cultist attraction events) and I'm about ready to pull the plug and give up on it unless someone else has figured out a way you can actually grow the party.

Heaven help whoever tries this run and lets a Cultist die.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So I feel objectively the best new start is the hunters.

You get roughly one good archer, one OK archer and one garbage archer. If you can grab 3 early melee recruits quick and buy them some basic bitz it's a powerful combo; also you get scouting forever which is GREAT.

Barbarian start also dece and entertaining; but very map dependent.

I haven't tried Merchant yet but it also looks very strong.

Honestly though I MISS the Hogart start; its good. You get 3 dece bro's, a solid quest chain that gives you a reasonable start and gear; and Hogart himself gives you a chance at a T2 sword and above average starting armour.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am coming to love taunt as it is a great way to control where nercroservants go.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think they might nerf the Barbarian start a bit, yeah it's map dependent but the amount of loot you can generate is crazy and you get 3 level 3 guys right off the bat with good equipment and a viking dog.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dreylad posted:

I think they might nerf the Barbarian start a bit, yeah it's map dependent but the amount of loot you can generate is crazy and you get 3 level 3 guys right off the bat with good equipment and a viking dog.

yeah I'm suspecting they blow away even the deceptively powerful Merchant company for power ramp

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Can we all agree Hedgeknight start sucks?

Edit: so I remember, barb start with seed as "wastelands" THAT MONK LOL

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 12, 2019

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It really feels like this cultist origin wasn't play-tested properly. I've been luckier than most in that I was able to get some extra cultists early on from a town that had the cult procession event going on, but my company is currently whittled down to five cultists after two sacrifice events. I'm finding it hard to bring myself to hire and build up more fodder, knowing that most will end up deserting even if they do survive.

It would be a lot more feasible if I could just keep some decently leveled up archers. I'm so desperate that I've built up a one-star range cultist as my archer, but he's barely going to break the mid 70's if he makes it to level 11.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Game is good but I'm not very good at it yet

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Turns out there's at least one new background!

After crushing a barbarian camp, one of them might offer to join you.

Mine came in at level 4 :stare: With pretty decent stats.

In a peasant militia company! So he might wind up being here all the way to the endgame if he doesn't draw the baleful eye of Man With Crossbow.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

So I feel objectively the best new start is the hunters.

You get roughly one good archer, one OK archer and one garbage archer. If you can grab 3 early melee recruits quick and buy them some basic bitz it's a powerful combo; also you get scouting forever which is GREAT.

Barbarian start also dece and entertaining; but very map dependent.

I haven't tried Merchant yet but it also looks very strong.

Honestly though I MISS the Hogart start; its good. You get 3 dece bro's, a solid quest chain that gives you a reasonable start and gear; and Hogart himself gives you a chance at a T2 sword and above average starting armour.

I think objectively the best one has to be the peasant militia. Sure your guys all kinda suck, but being able to field 16 bros is a huge, huge, huge advantage. It's really tricky finding good ranged bros (I think poachers are the only ranged background available, I haven't seen any bowyers or hunters) but churning through enough brawlers and militiamen you will eventually get good melee and polearm users, and the numbers game works in your favour. I'm only at like day 25 or so but I'm already getting enough money to start outfitting my guys with reinforced hauberks.

You also level slower because XP is spread around so much more (12 instead of 3 for your first fights, 16 instead of 12 later on) but renown grows at the same rate, so you make a lot of money because peasants don't get paid much and don't level quickly, but fights stay not too murderous because your average level is still pretty low.

Haven't tried barbarians or poachers or merchants yet, but even with their good advantages I can't really imagine anything being as good as the four extra bros in combat. And I imagine that will only get more important as I enter the lategame and start fighting like 20-30 enemies at a time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I can't imagine a noble war fight where you get a regiment of 24 guys on top of your 16 guys against enemy noble groups. What a bloodbath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

vyelkin posted:

I think objectively the best one has to be the peasant militia. Sure your guys all kinda suck, but being able to field 16 bros is a huge, huge, huge advantage. It's really tricky finding good ranged bros (I think poachers are the only ranged background available, I haven't seen any bowyers or hunters) but churning through enough brawlers and militiamen you will eventually get good melee and polearm users, and the numbers game works in your favour. I'm only at like day 25 or so but I'm already getting enough money to start outfitting my guys with reinforced hauberks.

You also level slower because XP is spread around so much more (12 instead of 3 for your first fights, 16 instead of 12 later on) but renown grows at the same rate, so you make a lot of money because peasants don't get paid much and don't level quickly, but fights stay not too murderous because your average level is still pretty low.

Haven't tried barbarians or poachers or merchants yet, but even with their good advantages I can't really imagine anything being as good as the four extra bros in combat. And I imagine that will only get more important as I enter the lategame and start fighting like 20-30 enemies at a time.

Haven't tested milita yet. I'm trying not to count it because a) it's loving annoying to play with 16 dudes and b) if the game scaling doesn't adapt to the increased number of fieldable guys mailita is cheaty as gently caress. Like losing "Noble" type backgrounds is not bad at all, the best is the Hedge Knights and they're by no means required to have a decent company.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 12, 2019