Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This makes me want to do like a play-by-post game here on SA so you unfortunate souls with no good group to play with can at least do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Sign me up :P

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
play by post mercenaries with people coming and going?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I meant like pickup/scenario games because I don't think I'd be very good at running a campaign.

I would absolutely run like a Martial Olympiad though. That'd be cool as hell.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Actually, something like Ace Darwin's Whip-its would be fun:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ace_Darwin%27s_WhipIts

(basically, he would accept a contract, and only then see who he could get for that mission. He went from a lance to a couple of companies

Maybe something with a random pool of recruits for people who want to join, and then if someone wants to stick around for another mission, they keep their character.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SirFozzie posted:

Actually, something like Ace Darwin's Whip-its would be fun:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ace_Darwin%27s_WhipIts

(basically, he would accept a contract, and only then see who he could get for that mission. He went from a lance to a couple of companies

Maybe something with a random pool of recruits for people who want to join, and then if someone wants to stick around for another mission, they keep their character.

I'm no PTN, I doubt I could run anything like a campaign well at all. And even if I do, it'll be after figuring out how to run something play-by-post half-way decently.

So, with that in mind, does anybody want to be a guinea pig and try a Play-by-Post pickup game? Additional commentary welcome.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m down to be a guinea pig.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’d be up for it. How familiar with the rules will I need to be?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have both of the new rulebooks in a closet so I can dig up anything people are iffy on.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mode 7 posted:

I’d be up for it. How familiar with the rules will I need to be?

For the pickup game I want to try? Reasonably. Be able to determine movement costs, range, and LOS on your own; be familiar with typical weapons and 'Mechs. Be able to play the game, basically.

After that, BattleTech is basically just increasingly specialized and detailed trivia, all the way down. :v:

Barring some impassioned plea for something else, I figured a Lance vs. Lance game of whatever each player (or side, in the event of more than two players) wants to field, balances by BV. Otherwise there are hundreds of scenarios to run. In any case: buckle up, because there's no way this gets done fast.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A pick-up game got about one and a half interested people, so I went ahead and plunged straight into the deep part of the river before learning how to swim: [BattleTech] Look at the bright side, kid. You get to keep all the money. merc campaign recruitment post in The Game Room.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A campaign apparently managed to get eight people in the week and a half it was open, so here's the new campaign IC thread: [BattleTech] Who do you think you are, the Wolf's Dragoons?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Game isn't dead yet (ohgod I'm one of them)

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well we still don't have the House Arano sourcebook, but we do have some other Battletech news:

https://bg.battletech.com/news/battletech-clan-invasion-kickstarter-coming-july-17/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pussy Cartel posted:

Well we still don't have the House Arano sourcebook, but we do have some other Battletech news:

https://bg.battletech.com/news/battletech-clan-invasion-kickstarter-coming-july-17/

This is super cool and depending on cost I'm all in.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:same:

E: content posting - if it's a little too rich I'll focus on those IS models (DIE, CLANNER!).
Otherwise, I'll go for the lot, as those plastic clanners look better than some of the metal equivalents I currently have on hand.
I'm expecting to have to do a few fixes though - my Battlemaster from the recent box set launch was a bit iffy, and will need some work, and the Locust has an odd looking left foot that probably requires a minor adjustment.

Otherwise, the quality of these new plastics has been fantastic so far (plus it's lighter than lugging around a heavy load of metal).

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 14, 2019

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Those models look fantastic. I really hope the Vulture/Mad Dog is in this Kickstarter, too. I will definitely back it regardless.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Clan Invasion box sneak peak posted.

Them's some nice looking minis.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

New designs look good while keeping the character of the original; hopefully they do this to more mechs to get them marketable in 2019.

I mean I like a lot of the old mech designs but a lot of them look a bit derpy by today's standards.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the Clan Invasion kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And it's over $200k in less than 90 minutes.

The goal was $30k.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Mad Cat looks sick, yo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I like there's a $200 option to have them trace you instead of a famous person.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

On the one hand the turnout rules, on the other I can't wait to see what Catalyst screws up

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I have enough games, but plastic minis that are fully assembled? gently caress it, I'm in.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Holy poo poo. Look at this list of mechs available (either as addons, or base.. sounds like they'll be selling lance packs too, but you'll get more of them in the KS)

Inner Sphere mechs available as addons
Warhammer Rifleman Phoenix Hawk Wasp
Marauder Archer Valkyrie Stinger
Atlas, Marauder II, Orion, Crusader
(not yet unlocked, 25K away) Banshee, Grasshopper Centurion Hachetman

Clan Mechs (If not already noted, add-ons)

Executioner Timber Wolf, Nova, Grendel, Adder (Base set)
2 points of elementals (Base set)

Dire Wolf Stormcrow Shadowcat Mist Lynx Summoner
Elemental Star Packs (5 Points)
Gargoyle, Mad Dog, Hellbringer, Viper, Ice Ferret
Fire Falcon, Arctic Cheetah, Hellion, Battle Cobra, Black Lanner

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If that Banshee isn't a Banshee-S, NO SALE

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, for $150 you get

Clan Invasion Box Set
Challenge Coin
4 lance/star packs (because of the double forces)
Clan Faction pack (t-shirt, etcetera)

Hell of a deal.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like it was a mistake having the pledge levels that let people name or create characters be worth so little because that's a lot of characters that need to be added to canon and it's just the first day.

Though technically they could just add the "name a character" tier to canon as one-line listings in a new version of the clan phonebooks :thunk:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Brent and Ray don't seem like the type to like phonebooks very much.

I expect it'll be closer to a big list of names distributed to writers by way of Google Docs with "cross one off if you use it" for any random-rear end character that needs a name for a few years.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like it was a mistake having the pledge levels that let people name or create characters be worth so little because that's a lot of characters that need to be added to canon and it's just the first day.

Though technically they could just add the "name a character" tier to canon as one-line listings in a new version of the clan phonebooks :thunk:

It's at least more fair than "make friends with us at GenCon"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Also holy poo poo the new Elementals are badass-looking. I'm glad they're willing to give another look to the old crusty (iconic, but crusty) designs.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
find it kinda amusing that the packs are these incredibly iconic omnimechs and also the grendel is there.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Half a Million in a day. Safe to say this wasn't what anyone was probably expecting.

Edit: MOAR MECHS!

The 500K Mechs

Blackjack, Panther, Wolfhound, Jenner (inner sphere) (+1 salvage box)

550K (not earned yet)
Kodiak, Supernova, Marauder IIC, Warhammer IIC, Hunchback C

600K (Not earned yet)
Whitworth, Longbow, Trebuchet, Bombadier (+1 salvage box)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 18, 2019

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not interested in any of the IS packs after the Hopper, unless they put a raven in one.
And they've been real bastards by putting one mech I actually want in each clan pack, and then 4 others I give no shits for.
So I'm just grabbing the core set, and then a bunch of IS lances, because I'm terrible. Maybe I'll grab other clan mechs later (probably not, because as I've gotten older, I've come to prefer IS over clan every time. But maybe I'm just loving weird.).

Note: salvage boxes only happen if you get them as part of rewards. If you get them as add ons, no salvage boxes.
And the salvage boxes are a bit of a gamble - you might get a lucky shadowcat or maddog or whatever. Or you might get several grendels in a row. I mean, it's still a "free" mech with your purchase/pledge for a bunch of plastic that might or might not (to be fair, catalyst pulled it off before so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here) be made.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is there a running list of all the lance packs currently available? It currently looks like there's a dozen lance/star packs right now.

They need a "all the minis" option.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is there a running list of all the lance packs currently available? It currently looks like there's a dozen lance/star packs right now.

They need a "all the minis" option.

I agree, the higher level pledges adding double of the packs you select makes no sense, I'd much rather just pick 10 different ones.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Ugh my FLGS won't back unless three other people join me and I do not want to deal with shipping and import duties myself.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ugh my FLGS won't back unless three other people join me and I do not want to deal with shipping and import duties myself.

You can't get 3 people to join you? Does you FLGS have a FB page or similar you can reach out to find if anyone is interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you're in the EU or Canada it looks like this is fulfilling from centers in those areas.

If you're in Oz, sorry. :v: