Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Epicurius posted:

There is a Popeye's in Famagusta, and a Johnny Rockets in Lefkosa.

The real interesting question is were there any chains in Varosha before the Turkish invasion.
Is there an abandoned 70's Burger King out there waiting for archaeologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Quorum posted:

Turkey: really big on Starbucks for some reason.

They have a huge cafe culture probably larger than any european country, but are also disgusting capitalist pigs with poo poo taste and a fetish for American brands. The tiny town of 10k people I'm usually living in has TWO american style shopping malls. It's like who is even buying all this poo poo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Do Turkish Starbucks serve the regional type of coffee, the one that is brown liquid cocaine?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Grape posted:

Do Turkish Starbucks serve the regional type of coffee, the one that is brown liquid cocaine?

I'm not sure I've never been inside Starbucks there. There's always like a dozen other cafes nearby, which are usually cheaper anyway. It's literally only american fetishism that gives them their business. I imagine they do have it on menu for touristbucks but I doubt they actually take the time to make it properly.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zurakara posted:

I'm not sure I've never been inside Starbucks there. There's always like a dozen other cafes nearby, which are usually cheaper anyway. It's literally only american fetishism that gives them their business. I imagine they do have it on menu for touristbucks but I doubt they actually take the time to make it properly.
Yeah never underestimate the rage of the fat American tourists when they can't find their favorite corporate products. Saw that myself in the late 90s with a fat American lady losing her poo poo in a shop because Häagen-Dazs wasn't selling its ice creams in France at that time.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 12, 2019

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
You’re telling me Häagen-Dazs isn’t authentic Danish ice cream? It has an umlaut, it must be!

In the US and Canada there is a chain of fast-casual Japanese restaurants called Sarku. Sarku is a name invented by a Canadian marketing agency that isn’t even pronounceable in Japanese.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah never underestimate the rage of the fat American tourists when they can't find their favorite corporate products. Saw that myself in the late 90s with a fat American lady losing her poo poo in a shop because Häagen-Dazs wasn't selling its ice creams in France at that time.

The American ice cream brand that made up a name that would sound European to give the brand a hint of quality :911:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

advanced statsman posted:

further up north they go to poo poo chains like hesburger or they just spend time in parking lots

I've eaten a Hesburger. I didn't know it was possible to fit that much mayonnaise between two halves of a bun

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Zurakara posted:

i mean if i eat at a Panda Express does that make me a China fetishist? idk man sometimes you just wanna try something foreign and maybe get a little variety. Panda Express might not be the best example of this since it is actually American food but then hey Americans don't know that anyway.

On the other hand Starbucks cappuccinos are a crime against humanity

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Imagine being the person that chooses to go to the Starbucks in Italy though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

I've never witnessed that. I'm not classist but I assume those types of American never leave their home state, or go on holiday to Florida at the very farthest.

Although I can't imagine living in one of the ultra-cliché destinations like Paris, Venice or Barcelona. Through sheer numbers you must get a lot of pond scum

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

I've never witnessed that. I'm not classist but I assume those types of American never leave their home state, or go on holiday to Florida at the very farthest.

Although I can't imagine living in one of the ultra-cliché destinations like Paris, Venice or Barcelona. Through sheer numbers you must get a lot of pond scum

Paris is a gigantic city, it's totally different from Venice or even Barcelona. The tourism is only really visible in a few areas of a city like Paris or London

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

True, true. I needn't have gone far, Bruges is probably one of the most lopsided cities in that regard.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zudgemud posted:

The American ice cream brand that made up a name that would sound European to give the brand a hint of quality :911:
Yeah, i spelled it Agendas for years.

Phlegmish posted:

I live in a backward country side full of monuments about ww1 and military cemeteries. I assumed that women was the wife of some military officers since it was the 80th birthday of ww1 armistice.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 12, 2019

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
it seems that the small to medium sized cities are usually more embittered toward tourists since there is no way to escape. I think it is having an psychological effect on Italy in particular.

(Prague is a a larger city and honestly it gets pretty overrun even outside the old city.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's the reason I have no desire to visit Barcelona or Venice despite my cultural interest in them, the throngs of tourists and jaded locals just don't make it seem like it would be a good experience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

(Prague is a a larger city and honestly it gets pretty overrun even outside the old city.)

Back in the day I always dreaded taking classes in the old town University buildings, because I would have to fight against endless streams of tourists just pouring out of every street. And I normally dislike even going to the mall because there are too many people.
Tourists suck.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ardennes posted:

it seems that the small to medium sized cities are usually more embittered toward tourists since there is no way to escape. I think it is having an psychological effect on Italy in particular.

Do you mean "escape from the tourists who are everywhere" or that the locals will likely never escape their town are are bitter towards tourists because of it?

Because I've never really considered the latter idea, but it makes a lot of sense.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
When I visited England some years ago all of the rural-ish places I visited - Cambridge, Ely, etc - seemed pretty friendly to tourists. Even London, in places like Piccadilly and Soho, seemed chill. It might have been because I was super polite and quiet though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do you mean "escape from the tourists who are everywhere" or that the locals will likely never escape their town are are bitter towards tourists because of it?

Because I've never really considered the latter idea, but it makes a lot of sense.

More there is just no where to hide in some cities and towns. Also, I do think there is issue with locals joining the service industry and in turn becoming progressively more bitter over time.

Also it probably helps that Cambridge has always been a university town, so a highly transient population is the norm there. (That said there is a very clear townie divide there) and London is so big that tourists just get lost in the shuffle.

I contrast Prague only really has seen tourism explode in the last 20 years or so and the city isn’t big enough to absorb that many tourists. A lot of the districts outside of the center also have hostels filled with drunken tourists at this point. Most cities in Italy are also to small not to get swept up.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ardennes posted:

More there is just no where to hide in some cities and towns. Also, I do think there is issue with locals joining the service industry and in turn becoming progressively more bitter over time.

Also it probably helps that Cambridge has always been a university town, so a highly transient population is the norm there. (That said there is a very clear townie divide there) and London is so big that tourists just get lost in the shuffle.

I contrast Prague only really has seen tourism explode in the last 20 years or so and the city isn’t big enough to absorb that many tourists. A lot of the districts outside of the center also have hostels filled with drunken tourists at this point. Most cities in Italy are also to small not to get swept up.

Cambridge is also chock full of tech workers from outside the city, of the two (having lived in both) I find that Oxford has a much more distinct local flavour. And it is considerably more populous, too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine being the person that chooses to go to the Starbucks in Italy though.

I think I saw an article about Starbucks opening their first Italian locations recently. Apparently they aren't just generic Starbucks, they gave them some fancy name like Starbucks Select Cafe or something, and made an effort to make the coffee not total poo poo, but I doubt they succeeded.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Italy rules.

Even the dinkiest corner shop has a specific cheese session with a selection of fancy and smelly cheeses. These people take their food and drink extremely seriously.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

It's the reason I have no desire to visit Barcelona or Venice despite my cultural interest in them, the throngs of tourists and jaded locals just don't make it seem like it would be a good experience.

Go in winter.
This is the secret to all Mediterranean hotspots. Unless you were really set on going to the beach this works out pretty well.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Italy rules.

Even the dinkiest corner shop has a specific cheese session with a selection of fancy and smelly cheeses. These people take their food and drink extremely seriously.

Italian food is supremely good on both the FOUR STAR BISTRO level and the "Come on over, Grandma's making her meatballs tonight" level.

Grape fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 12, 2019

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Grape posted:

Go in winter.
This is the secret to all Mediterranean hotspots. Unless you were really set on going to the beach this works out pretty well.
Even early spring; I went to Venice in March and it wasn't bad at all (crowd or weather wise).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now imagine whole islands stuck in that rut!

My oldest brother in law's wedding was at a hotel, and we had drunk Northern Euro women from somewhere on the sidelines getting all excited by the Zeibekiko dancing like it was a show.
One of them almost seemed to be trying to wander into the proceedings with her own weak drunk attempt at dancing.
The idea that this was a private family event seemed to not register, instead it was a fun sightseeing opportunity/event!!! Yayy!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

amazing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Grape posted:

Italian food is supremely good on both the FOUR STAR BISTRO level and the "Come on over, Grandma's making her meatballs tonight" level.

A big complaint in Tuscany nowadays (from locals) is that the quality of food seems to be declining. I don’t know personally if that is the case but it is a heavy charge from Italians.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ardennes posted:

A big complaint in Tuscany nowadays (from locals) is that the quality of food seems to be declining. I don’t know personally if that is the case but it is a heavy charge from Italians.

Neapolitan supremacy.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Italy rules.

Oh that reminds me:

These things are loving delicious and if you can find some you should buy some.

edit: oh poo poo, this isn't UKMT. Nevertheless my point stands.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Phlegmish posted:

Can't really recall seeing a Starbucks in Belgium myself, but apparently they exist.

I was shocked to see one even right in the Grand Place in Brussels. Like, ... why? Why would anyone? Ever?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I know there are starbucks in the bigger Belgian train stations - I know there are starbucks in Ghent St-Pieters, Antwerp central, Brussels central and bxl south, probably in Liege . Makes sense, since that way they can prey on impulse purchases.

edit: here's a map that shows all molotov targets starbucks locations worldwide. https://www.starbucks.com/store-locator?map=50.742299,4.371795,9z

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
You guys seem really mad about Starbucks which, while very lame, seems fairly innocuous next to something like McDonalds

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ras Het posted:

You guys seem really mad about Starbucks which, while very lame, seems fairly innocuous next to something like McDonalds
Burgers are extremely American, so people are fine with Americans doing whatever they want with them. Starbucks on the other hand threatens to undermine Italian civilization through the power of capitalism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Burgers are extremely American
politically loaded

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Burgers are extremely American

So why do American burgers suck so much? They don't even have two kinds of mayonnaise in them! :barf:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

So why do American burgers suck so much? They don't even have two kinds of mayonnaise in them! :barf:

There's more than one kind of mayonnaise?

Also, who hurt you that you'd willingly put mayonnaise on a burger?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Grape posted:

Even in the homelands of kebab/gyro teens still hit up Micky D's with regularity. And KFC.
And goddamned Pizza Hut.
They put ketchup on it too the absolute fucks.

We need a map that is a round up of appalling international culinary abominations like ketchup on Pizza Hut pizza.

On second thought, we might start a war. Nevermind.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

We need a map that is a round up of appalling international culinary abominations like ketchup on Pizza Hut pizza.

On second thought, we might start a war. Nevermind.

how about a map of good food:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

They poo poo on it because it's a mediocre fast food chain, not because it's American, do you think you own the concept of fast food

Why would you poo poo on something of “moderate quality”? :confused: