Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I own all these and the scale is the same. Only model out of any of these sets that is smaller than it should be (for practical reasons I'd imagine) is the flying black dragon in one of the game's.

That’s great to hear. Any idea if the Dungeon of the Mad Mage game minis (I just found out this game exists!) are decent as well? It looks like there are some repeats in it, but those zombie beholders look awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I have a clerical problem, every time I find a cleric mini I like I find another that exists. I'm currently starting to paint again as I found a DnD group to play with. I've never painted reaper minis before and all I can say is wow, they are fun to paint.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Sixfools posted:

I have a clerical problem, every time I find a cleric mini I like I find another that exists. I'm currently starting to paint again as I found a DnD group to play with. I've never painted reaper minis before and all I can say is wow, they are fun to paint.

Reaper's great if you're playing something with a fantasy setting, as they have a huge range of fantasy minis. So no matter what it is you're playing, they likely have a figure to represent it. :)

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Finished first squad of Certusian Charnel Guard.

The Cholercaust Blood Crusade left the Ministorum cemetery world Certus Minor in ruins. Legion of the Damned arriving from the warp annihilated the chaos forces, leaving the ground permanently stained with the blood of millions. However, defeat of the Khornate hordes was not the end of their woes. Returning refugees brought with them xenos and chaos infiltrators. A reinforced Charnel Guard with assistance from Excoriators space marines have kept the enemy at bay, but rumors persist that the Charnel Guard themselves have been compromised.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Who makes a good stand-in for the current Hawk Turquoise? I really like the color but GW nukes their lines way too often and I want something I'll be able to buy in a year or two without paying ebay hoarder prices. It's really hard to tell from online conversion charts, some of them look way too blue and the swatches are rarely even close to the actual color anyway.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Yeast posted:

That was my original guess, but there’s no way H&S could supply that many units.

I think it was also me being optimistic that they’d do an airbrush at all.

Bunch of new paint pots also makes sense with all the new racking that’s appearing in stores

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Are the contrast paints like combining high flow, transparent paints and colors like Payne's grey? I want to be smug about how that's nothing new, but I was pretty excited when I discovered payne's grey too.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Serenade posted:

Are the contrast paints like combining high flow, transparent paints and colors like Payne's grey? I want to be smug about how that's nothing new, but I was pretty excited when I discovered payne's grey too.

They're also heavily pigmented and supposed to be applied over a satiny undercoat, creating natural shading as the pigment pools in the recesses. It's a basecoat, wash, and first stage highlight all in one step (well, two with undercoat). It's launching with 34 colors that replicate many faction colors in 40k/AoS and details like leather, cloth, different skins, etc. It's not a huge game-changer, especially for advanced hobbyists, but can definitely help you save time for horde armies or other stuff you just want to power through. It'll also be great just for seeing less gray plastic on the tabletop in general since basic table-ready paint jobs are now easier than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIEtAlMSndQ

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Imgur gallery with all the Contrast colors in that display case

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Preem Palver posted:

They're also heavily pigmented and supposed to be applied over a satiny undercoat, creating natural shading as the pigment pools in the recesses. It's a basecoat, wash, and first stage highlight all in one step (well, two with undercoat). It's launching with 34 colors that replicate many faction colors in 40k/AoS and details like leather, cloth, different skins, etc. It's not a huge game-changer, especially for advanced hobbyists, but can definitely help you save time for horde armies or other stuff you just want to power through. It'll also be great just for seeing less gray plastic on the tabletop in general since basic table-ready paint jobs are now easier than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIEtAlMSndQ

Draw a few circles > Draw the rest of the loving owl.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Draw a few circles > Draw the rest of the loving owl.

How so? Each color on the bottom intercessor is one un-thinned coat of contrast paint, including the normally metallic bits. They didn't show all the steps of painting blue, black ,grey, yellow, red, and bone/parchment, but it's literally spray or brush undercoat on, apply those 6 paints, base, and you're done. There are plenty of examples of it in use over all sorts of models from people that tested it at warhammer fest today if you're skeptical.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Preem Palver posted:

How so? Each color on the bottom intercessor is one un-thinned coat of contrast paint, including the normally metallic bits. They didn't show all the steps of painting blue, black ,grey, yellow, red, and bone/parchment, but it's literally spray or brush undercoat on, apply those 6 paints, base, and you're done. There are plenty of examples of it in use over all sorts of models from people that tested it at warhammer fest today if you're skeptical.

Yeah the technical stuff are things GW have been showing how to do for years.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is this stuff just a one step paint+shade?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

So i painted this in ~6 hours today. It definitely shows and i'm going to go back and do more (especially with the Ork's head and stuff) but for going from primer to slightly over tabletop quality (for me at least) in an afternoon, i'm happy with it. Especially since i have another one to build and paint.

Oh and then i have to do the base.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Professor Shark posted:

Is this stuff just a one step paint+shade?

They’re calling the poor coverage of raised areas a ‘highlight’ which is impressively creative marketing.

But yes, in essence the idea is you put it on white, and it’s one and done. It looks like thinned paint over white. Which is because it is.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Jumpoff posted:

So i painted this in ~6 hours today.

Clean work mate!

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Yeast posted:

Clean work mate!

It's worse up close but i appreciate the compliment :)

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Yeast posted:

They’re calling the poor coverage of raised areas a ‘highlight’ which is impressively creative marketing.

But yes, in essence the idea is you put it on white, and it’s one and done. It looks like thinned paint over white. Which is because it is.

I mean, if it looks like a highlight it kind of is a highlight. I think the idea here is to get tabletop ready miniatures done quickly. I doubt we'll see this a lot in painting competitions, but if I need to paint a bunch of pox walkers or trees or whatever then I might look at it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NovemberMike posted:

I mean, if it looks like a highlight it kind of is a highlight. I think the idea here is to get tabletop ready miniatures done quickly. I doubt we'll see this a lot in painting competitions, but if I need to paint a bunch of pox walkers or trees or whatever then I might look at it.

That's exactly what it's for; to get models painted and on the table. It's basically equivalent to dipping.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NovemberMike posted:

I think the idea here is to get tabletop ready miniatures done quickly.

Without a doubt.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of Games Workshop's 'learn to paint' lessons are now 5 of these paints and off you go.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Yeast posted:

Without a doubt.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of Games Workshop's 'learn to paint' lessons are now 5 of these paints and off you go.

The reveal video had Duncan and Peachy sitting there looking sad like they were out of a job.

Really though they already do a variety, they have always sprinkled other techniques in certain videos. The ratio may change now of what techniques though.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I'm even more impressed after seeing these pictures. Even the Dreadnaught looks amazing. Apparently these are all painted with contrasts, technicals and maybe metallics.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The dread looks pretty patchy and pooly to me. The rest look good though!

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

TTerrible posted:

The dread looks pretty patchy and pooly to me. The rest look good though!

A bit, but still a really good result for the amount of effort that would have went into it

I also think with careful application of those big flat surfaces you could get pretty convincing blends

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If the contrast paint saves me a step on painting the eighth skull detail on some chaos infantry model I don’t really care about that much then I’m all for it

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

What's that barnacle troll thing it's a really nice mini?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Shadespire thing I think.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Well I guess it’s never too bad to have more colours of ink to choose from.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

What's that barnacle troll thing it's a really nice mini?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Gloomspite-Gitz-Dankhold-Troggoth-2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dang the Sigmar minis have gotten a lot less weird in the last few years.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This looks great, especially if the bone parts are just washed. Do you think they let it dry upside-down to get the whatever new stuff to pool like that?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

thespaceinvader posted:

Dang the Sigmar minis have gotten a lot less weird in the last few years.

I feel like they went way too far at the start (but it set the tone of the factions and world) and now that it's a bit settled the content and minis are much better.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Painted a terminator standard bearer

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Booley posted:

Painted a terminator standard bearer

Wow, that gun barrel :eyepop:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

I'm even more impressed after seeing these pictures. Even the Dreadnaught looks amazing. Apparently these are all painted with contrasts, technicals and maybe metallics.

These are fantastic. I can’t wait to try out that new paint.

Really glad it didn’t end up being an airbrush, lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’d like to paint a lighter leather, but Citadel recommends buying 4 paints and none of them look good. Any suggestions on what I could use?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I’d like to paint a lighter leather, but Citadel recommends buying 4 paints and none of them look good. Any suggestions on what I could use?

Which paints are you not liking? For citadel paints I like gorthor brown as the base for a light leather

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Professor Shark posted:

P3's Gun Corps Brown is pretty nice for light leather, especially with a glaze of Vallejo Smoke.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
I've got a question about the properties medium. I've got some Lahmian medium as well as Vallejo glaze and thinner medium.

In what way are they different? I see different ones used in different youtube videos but there's little explanation as to why you would use one over another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

chippocrates posted:

I've got a question about the properties medium. I've got some Lahmian medium as well as Vallejo glaze and thinner medium.

In what way are they different? I see different ones used in different youtube videos but there's little explanation as to why you would use one over another.

I am not 100% clear on this, but here's my understanding:

1) You've got your acrylic medium, which is just the clear (actually slightly milky before it dries, in my experience) liquid acrylic that makes acrylic paint if you leave out the pigment. This usually comes in matte, satin, and gloss options.

2) You've got your thinner, which when formulated for use in acrylic paints is usually alcohol-based and thins paint but also speeds up drying times, because that's what alcohol does.

3) You've got your flow-improver, which is usually... soap-based? I think? ...and which decreases the surface tension of the paint, causing it to flow more easily but also slows down drying times because that's what soap does.

4) You've got your drying retarder, which I don't know what it's made of, but it increases drying time even more than flow improver does and doesn't increase flow so much, and which generally should be used in even smaller quantities than the thinner or flow improver.

Obviously, thinner is just thinner. Glaze and Lahmian medium are bespoke formulas by Vallejo and Games Workshop, respectively, that use different amounts of the above materials to achieve different ends. Glaze medium is, I believe, a mixture of thinner, acrylic medium, and flow improver (or possibly all of those and drying retarder) in some specific ratio which is supposed to make good glazes. Lahmian medium is acrylic medium and flow improver in something like the same ratio they use in their shade paints before they add pigments.

Lahmian medium is one of the better ones but it's also by far the most expensive, and it comes in a pot which means not only are you paying much, much more by volume, you'll also lose more to drying. Vallejo glaze medium is okay but I find you have to use really small amounts of it.

All of them will work differently with different paint brands and also with specific paints within paint brands, and also in different temperatures and humidities, and at different altitudes. You're gonna have to experiment.