Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a 60" Samsung DLP about 12 years ago. Never had a better gaming tv and I still wish I'd hung onto it. But it lives in my friend's house where his kids can watch silly Dora videos and play the N64 I gave them along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I attempted to watch that GOT on my projector. I had to wait till late at night, shut every curtain and turn off every single light emitting device and still couldn't tell what was going on.
I rewatched it on my projector after finding it a complete dick to see what was going on when watching it on a computer monitor in a darkened room, and it was better on the projector - maybe you just need a better one?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'll repeat what I said on the last page, everyone should run a calibration routine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

Not surprisingly, I've got a different take.

I'm running a 2015(6?) Vizio 65" 1080p. It's showing its age, with the backlight making some zebra stripes visible on bright and dark scenes. I also have a 2017 Element Amazon Fire TV that's 4k ($250 in 2017, the only Black Friday deal I got that year.)

The cheapo 4k screen is TONS better in color and overall picture quality. I think the 4k panels have all of the technological improvements that have come with the years, over 1080p panels that are still being churned out on old tooling.

The light source stuff is different and improved with newer 4k TVs, sure. OLED and such isn't available on 1080p I believe. Color is hard to to quantify since you're looking at two different brands and don't know if that's necessarily a 4k specific improvement.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Save me from myself:

Half-seriously tried to deal on a local dealers Hellcat Widebody Redeye last night. Dodge has extremely low money factor on Hellcat leases right now (0.00012 - or .288% APR) and high residuals, such as 61% on a 36/10.

They would give me the MF rate without markup but wouldnt budge on MSRP which was silly so I (we - had my oldest with me) walked. Car looked cool though:

Sort of trying to decide between a widebody Hellcat and an E63s wagon right now. CTS-V 3rd gen sedan is in third place in the mental order. A 18 E63s wagon I had my eye on sold right before I was about to make an offer so now Im kind of adrift as none of the ones on the market are in colors I want and/or are hideously overpriced. The most first world of problems

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do what God guides you to do my son.

git that car

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Further to TV chat, we got a Sony 50 (or 55, I dont remember) at a Boxing Day sale last year. Its got AndroidTV built in and Ive honestly been very impressed with it. I really like being able to walk into the house, open Spotify/YouTube/whatever on my phone and have the TV turn on without having to find a remote or push anything else. I think smart TVs have come a very long way in the last 5 years.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I say E63 wagon or Cadillac wagon... the hellcat will always be over-scruitinized by all that see it and you'll never be able to really have fun with it without worry like you would with the other two.

Automotive insanity sanity.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Wagons are always better.

In other news, heres a very silly, fun song about AI's favourite megalomaniac. It's been stuck in my head for days.

Elon Musk is making me sad

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Can I bitch about something? Thanks.

Greeting cards, like all other things, are bullshit. It's now common to see cards over $4 and it can be hard to find cards under $3 for a stupid piece of card stock with some pithy printing. And the card companies have somehow convinced the public that it's okay to pay those prices.

It's not. It's ludicrous. If the people you are giving cards to care about the card stock instead of the sentiment behind it, you're hanging with the wrong people.

For a long time, I'd buy some oddball cheap $.99 card, scribble out the gratuitous greeting and write my own stuff.

Lately, though, my wife and I have been taking pictures of the card face and the inside and texting it to each other. Cost = $0. Sentiment = same.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Go for the hellcat redeye. 797 tire burning horses and that sweet supercharger sound.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I say E63 wagon or Cadillac wagon... the hellcat will always be over-scruitinized by all that see it and you'll never be able to really have fun with it without worry like you would with the other two.

Automotive insanity sanity.

Had a -V wagon for 3 years, wont do another not because it was a bad car, but because I want something different.

Honestly the E63s wagon is my top choice, but the selection sucks and people are incredibly optimistic about what theyre worth.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

meatpimp posted:

Greeting cards, like all other things, are bullshit. It's now common to see cards over $4 and it can be hard to find cards under $3 for a stupid piece of card stock with some pithy printing. And the card companies have somehow convinced the public that it's okay to pay those prices.

It's not. It's ludicrous. If the people you are giving cards to care about the card stock instead of the sentiment behind it, you're hanging with the wrong people.

For a long time, I'd buy some oddball cheap $.99 card, scribble out the gratuitous greeting and write my own stuff.

Lately, though, my wife and I have been taking pictures of the card face and the inside and texting it to each other. Cost = $0. Sentiment = same.

My missus makes her own greeting cards and it's a lot more expensive and insanely time consuming lol

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Suburban Dad posted:

Probably not, IMO. I haven't really kept up on it but there's not much that's actually broadcast in HD (yet). Streaming requires more bandwidth. Much more.

Also it's all in how close you sit to the TV. The closer you are, the more pixels you need. If you're sitting like 5+ feet away, you can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, which is silly if it's in your living room and already not going to be super close. Also gaming (if you have a console and plan to ever use it on that TV) is made much harder with 4k since it has to produce that many more pixels in output so you need a more powerful system.

It should come as no surprise that I have a 1080p tv from 2011. :v: When it dies I don't know what I'll get but probably nothing fancy since I don't see the point. Pick a TV in size and resolution completely by how close it's going to be while watching, then pick whatever features you want.

I'm sitting 6+ ft away and pretty much only watching streaming stuff and the only consoles I currently have are a RetroPi setup or ancient ones.

meatpimp posted:

Not surprisingly, I've got a different take.

I'm running a 2015(6?) Vizio 65" 1080p. It's showing its age, with the backlight making some zebra stripes visible on bright and dark scenes. I also have a 2017 Element Amazon Fire TV that's 4k ($250 in 2017, the only Black Friday deal I got that year.)

The cheapo 4k screen is TONS better in color and overall picture quality. I think the 4k panels have all of the technological improvements that have come with the years, over 1080p panels that are still being churned out on old tooling.

Points taken - but I have a feeling that anything is going to offer a massive improvement over the projector! Maybe I'll go and have a look in a real shop first and compare.

InitialDave posted:

I rewatched it on my projector after finding it a complete dick to see what was going on when watching it on a computer monitor in a darkened room, and it was better on the projector - maybe you just need a better one?

Oh my projector is definitely poo poo! (hence why i'm looking at replacement). I'm however probably looking at a minimum of 350 for a replacement projector.

fridge corn posted:

My missus makes her own greeting cards and it's a lot more expensive and insanely time consuming lol

But a shitload more meaningful for the recipient.

I haven't bought greetings cards in years. For the 3 or 4 that a card costs you can buy an actual physical gift (if the card inst already accompanying one) and just stick a tag on it (I have a big bag of string tags that I have been using on other stuff round the house).

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 12, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have a 60" plasma that's probably north of 10 years old and has seen so little use that it still has great blacks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On the 1080p vs 4k thing - a 1080p signal scales perfectly onto a 4k display, so there's no loss of sharpness or anything if you watch 1080p content.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can easily notice the difference between 4k content and 1080p content on my the 65" Samsung in my living room. First, you're misreading the chart, the first column tells you how close you have to be to see all the pixel density. It's the second column that says how close you have to be to see any difference at all (unsurprisingly, it's twice as far).

The more important factor is that 4k content is streamed at a higher bit rate, so compression artifacts aren't as big/obvious.

Also, I have a 55" OLED in the bedroom and I don't think I can ever go back to anything else for serious watching. If I ever get around to making a theater, I'm gonna need a 90"+ OLED or something.

Tremek posted:

Save me from myself:

Half-seriously tried to deal on a local dealer’s Hellcat Widebody Redeye last night. Dodge has extremely low money factor on Hellcat leases right now (0.00012 - or .288% APR) and high residuals, such as 61% on a 36/10.

They would give me the MF rate without markup but wouldn’t budge on MSRP which was silly so I (we - had my oldest with me) walked. Car looked cool though:

Sort of trying to decide between a widebody Hellcat and an E63s wagon right now. CTS-V 3rd gen sedan is in third place in the mental order. A ‘18 E63s wagon I had my eye on sold right before I was about to make an offer so now I’m kind of adrift as none of the ones on the market are in colors I want and/or are hideously overpriced. The most first world of problems

The problem with the Hellcat is horsepower is the only thing it has. It handles poorly, the interior feels exactly the same as the $30,000 model with the V6, and it's completely impractical. It's also made by FCA. The E63s is 80-90% of a sports car's performance with about 1000% more practicality and all the luxury. Also you get bonus internet cool points.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 12, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The widebody Challenger can turn, seats 5, and has a huge trunk. Thats not impractical.

Other criticisms like ehhh interior and an exterior design that hasnt changed since launch in 2008(!) are valid.

Idk, I was excited about the wagon I was tracking, maybe Ill just wait for the right one... In theory 2 year leases should be coming back to dealers soon which amounts to a 30-50k discount versus new if I play my cards right.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Probably not, IMO. I haven't really kept up on it but there's not much that's actually broadcast in HD (yet). Streaming requires more bandwidth. Much more.

Also it's all in how close you sit to the TV. The closer you are, the more pixels you need. If you're sitting like 5+ feet away, you can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, which is silly if it's in your living room and already not going to be super close. Also gaming (if you have a console and plan to ever use it on that TV) is made much harder with 4k since it has to produce that many more pixels in output so you need a more powerful system.

It should come as no surprise that I have a 1080p tv from 2011. :v: When it dies I don't know what I'll get but probably nothing fancy since I don't see the point. Pick a TV in size and resolution completely by how close it's going to be while watching, then pick whatever features you want.

A lot of the difference in TVs is their image processing, which your linked article doesn't get in to. It's not a feature that's easy to market like 4K and all the other fancy acronyms. The best tvs probably have all those features, but every tv marketed as 4K or whenever else is not equal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

A lot of the difference in TVs is their image processing, which your linked article doesn't get in to. It's not a feature that's easy to market like 4K and all the other fancy acronyms. The best tvs probably have all those features, but every tv marketed as 4K or whenever else is not equal.

What's the best way to evaluate, then? I've been watching rtings, they seem to be pretty thorough and methodical.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Anyone in the Denver area know of anyone or any place that could use a bog standard bmw m540-6 along with an auto box . only 86k on it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

What's the best way to evaluate, then? I've been watching rtings, they seem to be pretty thorough and methodical.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking me in the context of my reply? I'm just saying that the commonly marketed features that come in a word soup of acronyms aren't a good way to quantify TVs. They can definitely be objectively evaluated, rtings is great.

There are some really good deals on the LG C8 right now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking me in the context of my reply? I'm just saying that the commonly marketed features that come in a word soup of acronyms aren't a good way to quantify TVs. They can definitely be objectively evaluated, rtings is great.

There are some really good deals on the LG C8 right now.

Yeah, I was just asking if there was a way to determine which ones had the better image processors... even if you had them all in a store to watch at once, they're all going to be calibrated differently (and probably all bright-and-shiny settings for maximum attention in a retail setting).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Ask the TV thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pass. Rhyno's already in there. :barf:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

meatpimp posted:

Dollar Tree. $0.50 a piece.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I bought a 65 Vizio P series earlier this year when Best Buy had their Super Bowl sale and Im happy with it. The smart TV features are a tad clunky (but it has a built-in Chromecast so w/e) and the remote sucks but the picture quality is terrific. For $899 it was a really solid value.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Im someone who doesnt like movies whatever but I do like GOT. Watched guardians of the galaxy and enjoyed it and then watched Black Panther last night and Im sorry that movie is so stupid. Plus why use a British actor for the white American? And where did these like robot rhinos come from?

I forgot, coming back from the beach and saw an Alfa Stelvio. Why? If you took the crooked badges off it I would swear it was a Kia from the back.

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 12, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

everdave posted:

Im someone who doesnt like movies whatever but I do like GOT. Watched guardians of the galaxy and enjoyed it and then watched Black Panther last night and Im sorry that movie is so stupid. Plus why use a British actor for the white American? And where did these like robot rhinos come from?

I forgot, coming back from the beach and saw an Alfa Stelvio. Why? If you took the crooked badges off it I would swear it was a Kia from the back.

It's an Alfa, you stand in front of it, not behind it silly. Reenactment follows:

Unrelated, I need help brainstorming 5 passenger cars worth owning in the same tier as the e63s wagon and hellcat challenger widebody because I'm broken inside. I don't think there's another wagon in the e63's class in this country. If I have to slum in sedans I guess the new M5 is kinda up there but it's so boring looking. :(

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 12, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

It's an Alfa, you stand in front of it, not behind it silly. Reenactment follows:

Unrelated, I need help brainstorming 5 passenger cars worth owning in the same tier as the e63s wagon and hellcat challenger widebody because I'm broken inside. I don't think there's another wagon in the e63's class in this country. If I have to slum in sedans I guess the new M5 is kinda up there but it's so boring looking. :(

Have you considered an E61 with the N54? :ohdear:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

Trailblazer SS

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Only a 5.3 liter. :(

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

Only a 5.3 liter. :(

LS2 6.0 I think. Either way its no lime green hellcat redeye.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Gross, you guys are bad at this. Besides, been there, done that with the Trollblazer:

Shocker hot take: It wasn't a very good car. And yes it was a LS2 in front of a lovely 4L65e. I think we kept it about 9 months.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol it was a joke

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tremek posted:

Honestly the E63s wagon is my top choice, but the selection sucks and people are incredibly optimistic about what they’re worth.
It is less that the sellers are optimistic, but there's enough people paying stupid money for a rare car that keeps the values high. It's getting drat near the point that a new one is a better deal than a slightly used one given the warranty.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
V12 centurys are about to come up for sale or you can live vicariously through me Tremek

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tremek posted:

The BMW X6M Sport Activity Vehicle seems to meet all of your criteria.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

It is less that the sellers are optimistic, but there's enough people paying stupid money for a rare car that keeps the values high. It's getting drat near the point that a new one is a better deal than a slightly used one given the warranty.

I was curious, so I went on the MB website to compare leasing a new one vs. financing a used one and their lease estimates are insane.

A base E63s 36mo/12k lease is $1956/mo. A 5 year finance with $0 down at 3% is $1956/mo. I can't find anything on the money factor or the residual, but unless they're doing these at the interest rates of buy here pay here lots, they're expecting a residual in the ~$50k range. On a $110k car. :psypop:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
The Supra embargo has lifted, ton of vids on Youtube right now.

Farah legit really likes it. 335hp/365ft/lbs - 3400 lbs, and it sounds like it feels like a slightly bigger FT86. That's enough power to get it to 60 in 4.1 seconds, which is no slouch, and sounds like the motor will take tuning well.

I'm realllly looking forward to comparisons to the Cayman. I want to see lap time comparisons since this might be less of a miss than I initially thought. They made it a track toy, which I don't hate and the 8 speed, though an auto, sounds like it's really good too.