Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Duck and Cover posted:

Cheated themselves out of a lovely rng grindy "game", well shucks I'm sure they feel super bad about it.

Do you have this thread bookmarked so you can Kramer in every time it bumps to let everyone know how bad this game you wanna keep talking about is, while making GBS threads the place up over a meme going completely over your head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Knorth posted:

1. Stop following this thread.

2. Aw, someone didn't get the joke.

Getting the lore you need? RNG. Getting the locations you need? More RNG. Getting the stuff you need? RNG. Cultist members? RNG. Purchases? RNG. Finding hirelings? RNG. It's a slot machine with a good story. Well except it's worse because it's a slot machine that requires you to remember to press different buttons on different timers every once in awhile.

Glagha posted:

Do you have this thread bookmarked so you can Kramer in every time it bumps to let everyone know how bad this game you wanna keep talking about is, while making GBS threads the place up over a meme going completely over your head?

I like to talk about games faults, and my sticking around in a thread is generally out of hope it'll get better. Like "oh here's an update they added an auto organizer!" I know it won't happen, but it's not like bookmarking a thread costs me anything. Also maybe my observations will convince someone maybe this game isn't for them. (it won't but I like to pretend it's a possibility)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 12, 2019

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Okay.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Getting the lore you need? RNG. Getting the locations you need? More RNG. Getting the stuff you need? RNG. Cultist members? RNG. Purchases? RNG. Finding hirelings? RNG. It's a slot machine with a good story. Well except it's worse because it's a slot machine that requires you to remember to press different buttons on different timers every once in awhile.

I like to talk about games faults, and my sticking around in a thread is generally out of hope it'll get better. Like "oh here's an update they added an auto organizer!" I know it won't happen, but it's not like bookmarking a thread costs me anything. Also maybe my analysis will convince someone maybe this game isn't for them. (it won't but I like to pretend it's a possibility)

Thank you for your post

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol analysis

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Anyone know what the version differences are between PC and mobile? I know the Dancer dlc isn't in, but unless I'm missing something I can't change my HQ either.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You're right observations would be better.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Edit: Cranky post about game rng without backing it up. Also I missed a joke I guess? Maybe it was in the audio or maybe I'm just oblivious. Probably both.

Didn't see your original post, but this might help:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-cheated-not-only-the-game-but-yourself

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i.e. https://twitter.com/XCOM/status/1116793107713069056

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't think ignorance of a meme necessitates any action on my part.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 16, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Played five hours this morning. This game has got me addicted help

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I think your addiction will solve itself soon enough

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Palemdromes posted:

Played five hours this morning. This game has got me addicted help

I have no idea how I've played over 80 hours between iOS and PC. I will not stop until I figure out this apostle thing.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

GulagDolls posted:

I think your addiction will solve itself soon enough

Yeah embrace it. Once you've explored all the game has to offer you won't feel the need to pick it up again. I like games like that.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I got this a while back. Didn't know there was a thread. The game is oddly compelling. I've played 4 or 5 hours and it's very good. The only problem I have is can you really consider 2 people a cult? I read some Hellraiser poo poo and learned to beat rear end (that's what the icon looked like. I was unaware of UI scaling for the first couple hours) and me and my follower just did the rear end beating until we were both dead. Then the doctor that autopsied me found my notes and got radicalized by my rear end beating "cult" notes. Weird game. Kinda hooked on AC: Origins right now but definitely will beat more rear end in the future.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can get more than one cult follower by Talking about things. you can also upgrade your cultists by Talking to your cult icon about them.

The game tells you this stuff but it's kinda easy to miss. Get a Grail cult so that you can do more to rear end than just beating it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You can dream about butts to decide what kind of butts you prefer. Best game 10/10.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Playing a Bright Young Thing. The lore I get out of it is a Port Noon Anecdote. I'm thinking sweet, these are annoying to get. Researching it pulls out the Hebe Stanton. Honestly I should have seen that coming.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

SettingSun posted:

Playing a Bright Young Thing. The lore I get out of it is a Port Noon Anecdote. I'm thinking sweet, these are annoying to get. Researching it pulls out the Hebe Stanton. Honestly I should have seen that coming.

What’s wrong with that

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Do any of the other lores have an effect on hunters? I tried talking to the weary detective about a few but trying to blind him with 12 lantern just made him more powerful.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Palemdromes posted:

Do any of the other lores have an effect on hunters? I tried talking to the weary detective about a few but trying to blind him with 12 lantern just made him more powerful.

Winter lore might drive him to suicide, but honestly you're better off just ignoring him and dealing with evidence as he generates it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Palemdromes posted:

What’s wrong with that

Secret Histories 14 lore is a real pain to get normally, so it seems like a waste to draw the ship when I typically get it filling out the first three expedition tiers. I was gambling to draw the Wreck of the Christabel so I can get the frangiclave.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Also also in the Red Grail painting there’s a dude bout to eat a whole-rear end dick and balls

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Palemdromes posted:

If you hammer him with it some more, an Idealistic hunter can also be driven insane by Lantern lore. You're better off just sending someone to murder him, though.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 2, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Something I’d like for jobs is that they just get completely taken out of the way or verb and instead get integrated with the time passing verb. You use the job verb to apply to and upgrade your job, but otherwise time passing will occasionally spawn events you can choose to deal with or ignore. Some jobs have different events like increased chance of injury for manual labour. Your skills can be used to upgrade them, so if you have a high scholarship skill you can upgrade the clerk job. Add a few more jobs for flavour and make the job verb used for free time activities (keep painting).

It’s just the absolute worst to have to keep updating the verb every minute or you get fired. Substitute it for a passive income and make money just another currency you use when you have a surplus.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think that's the point. Having a day job is cutting into your valuable cult time. That's part of the reason you find ways to move up the ladder and relax the requirements and get rewarded for it. Or just quit when you can support your culting full time.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Things like Rituals interfering with keeping an office job are pretty intentional. As is work both taking mental effort and you hating it.

Now, I will agree it would be a perfect thing to be able to tweak in a set of options, because I'd rather have someone enjoy a slightly muted experience to not being able to at all.

But mostly, don't do jobs you can be fired from, unless you plan to stick at them.

And, as is kind of my default on Cultist Simulator stuff : If it personally annoys you, use the debug menu to fix it. Just give yourself 200 funds or whatever.

EDIT : And I forgot my main point in posting. Someone is doing a Screenshot LP of Cultist Simulator.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888951

I've already realised I totally glazed over the first acquantance and dream as the doctor.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

am i mad, or can you now speak to summons about your stats? the raw prophet now offers to turn your Reason into a Decrepitude and teaches you the level 6 knock lore, whereas Ezeem offers protection from disease

also is there a change in how to upgrade lore coming? all the lores have a Aspect: Requires... thing that indicates what you need to upgrade them now, and i am really not thrilled to see "there is a slight chance your reason may be permanently damaged" on some of them (specifically Formulae Vigilant). some of the others do indicate that having a certain skill (e.g. A Rarefied Mind) will provide actual benefit now; currently the only skills that help are the Health ones, so maybe this is an attempt to balance them up

also the You Are Diseased verb has the right colour now - a sickly green!

e: the maid in the mirror will give you the level 6 moth and decrepitude in exchange for passion (so does the Voiceless Dead, somehow), percussigiants will give protection from disease and trade reason for knock/decrepitude, the Hint gives nothing and the Caligne also gives nothing

ee: holy poo poo you can finally get sick by buying opium!

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 7, 2019

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tylana posted:

EDIT : And I forgot my main point in posting. Someone is doing a Screenshot LP of Cultist Simulator.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888951

I've already realised I totally glazed over the first acquantance and dream as the doctor.

This game has me completely and I thought really hard about doing a LP of it, but I struggled with how I would show it to an audience in a satisfying way. I'll be watching this LP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

alright yeah the new research system is pretty good. it takes less time than the previous one, and you know the barriers you have to pass ahead of time. it also makes subversion slightly harder, but upgrades slightly easier, and it's really easy to subvert or upgrade lower-level lores. the headquarters are now quite useful, too - some still better than others, but they all now have a genuine use that might make you think twice about swapping HQs too often

still don't like the idea of damaging my passion or reason, but those are never the only options, and it's only for higher level lores.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Can this sick bastard stop updating the game right when I'm done with a run and don't want to play anymore for several months

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah, anyone know what the patch notes are for this mystery update? Also I'm totally gonna check out that LP. Will probably inspire me to go back in and keep pushing towards the end of my first and so far only run. I need to go suck more brains out.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
They post patchnote on the steam forums. Looks like mostly bug fix this time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh my god card locations are saved between sessions now

you can Collect All from an event that was running before you exited the game, and the cards will slot back into the places they originally came from instead of just heading to your spawn area

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
To anyone playing with the ARG:

*\Steam\steamapps\common\Cultist Simulator\cultistsimulator_Data\StreamingAssets\content\more\dinosaurs\dinosaurs.json

quote:

sapphire
scolecite
stones in darkness

This seems relevant.

The 'more' folder also includes more\elements\additional_test.json that seems like it renames 'So Hungry' to 'So Hangry' in the game. Seems like these were added on the 8th.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think i remember seeing the So Hangry thing before this patch, when I was poking around a month or so ago

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The next paid DLC: the Priest is coming at the end of the month, as well as an anniversary edition.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh nice. What details do we Know about this new stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh nice. What details do we Know about this new stuff?

Well, most of the general mechanic changes are already on the beta branch, namely new HQ options and new research mechanic. The new legacy will be similar to the Dancer in scope, it'll have it's own associated aspect (I forgot which one, knock?) and victory to pursue.

Anniversary edition is just going to be the game, three DLC and soundtrack in a bundle.

The DLC after the next is the Ghoul, associated with the winter lore.