Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's one of the things that makes rapier/shortspear stab spam so bad, they have a pretty fast turn speed so they can course-correct their stab really easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zotix posted:

What is the downside of playing a short spear?

Running into someone with a long spear? But then that's why you go around with three short spears, so

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

eonwe posted:

stabbing is, imo, a bit too strong right now

yeah i feel that they're a bit too fast.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The proper counter to short spears is to out-stab them with the bastard sword

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, mostly it feels like stabbing active frames just start really rather early, which can make for some pretty deceptive animations particularly with the larger swords when you're up close. They look like they're still in their regular parry animation, but then the very instant the sword turns horizontal you eat like 40+ damage.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I could see the turn time on short spear being lessened. Its currently almost a strictly better rapier.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was in a duel server right now, and yeah, this teaches you way more about the game than any amount of frontline time.

The balance is quite apparent here, I have tried many loadouts of varying speed and range, and they can all be pretty effective even in the face of rapier spam; I murdered a rapier user with the eveningstar, it can be done. The protector default loadout is awesome for duels, since they happen mostly at facehug range and there the mace is a 2 hit kill no matter the armor (maybe not if you target legs but whatever), and the shield is supremely useful for a beginner like me, I still tend to panic parry to relatively simple feints and footwork - one guy was simply looking at the side to "simulate" the start of the swing, cheeky bastard, took me 2 deaths to see through his mind games :mad:

There was one funny guy who laid bear traps and then challenged you, making you follow him into his bear traps then chopping your head off when you're on the ground. It's kind of unsportsmanlike but it was funny so I did not protest, and after the second time I got his game and killed him relatively easily :D

Also, the best moment was when I made a naked maul user get a taste of his own medicine with a well placed eveningstar instakill headshot :black101:

I still can't quite feint effectively (or at all, really... it seems if I press Q even before the "grunt" of release the attack is still committed, sometimes happens with morphs too. Might be bad ping? I'm in the 60-80 range usually) but I'm getting the hang of morphs and drags/accels which will make me a 100x better player with another few hours of practice

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008

TorakFade posted:

I still can't quite feint effectively (or at all, really... it seems if I press Q even before the "grunt" of release the attack is still committed, sometimes happens with morphs too. Might be bad ping? I'm in the 60-80 range usually) but I'm getting the hang of morphs and drags/accels which will make me a 100x better player with another few hours of practice

Bind RMB to both parry and feint in options, it feels more natural. I bind my war cry to q and it works much better.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Stabbing could take a 50% damage reduction across the board and still be the most powerful attack by a long shot.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TheTromboner posted:

Bind RMB to both parry and feint in options, it feels more natural. I bind my war cry to q and it works much better.

:aaaaa: that works?!? So if you're not attacking it will parry, and if you're attacking it will feint? This is totally awesome and I'm doing it RIGHT NOW, thanks :)

Edit: rapier stab is obnoxious though. I can chamber them, but after that they rechamber beacuse their weapons is super fast, if you parry they get initiative again, if you chamber again (if that's even possible) you just go on and on until someone messes up, and since they do that all day every day, they're pros at it.

How do I mulch them consistently? I managed to kill some, but like 1 in 5 to 10 times

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 12, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

NO ONE...

Shoots like gaston, lays the boot like gaston makes the knights poo poo in their suits like gaston...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Being unable to counterchamber a chamber a chamber would be nice. You could still parry it of course, and a morphed chamber could be chambered. Stab spam is so effective because it's so easy as long as you can aim your stabs. I know I've chambered, morphed, and still been hit by the second stab. If I hadn't morphed I'd just have been chambered myself.

Also yeah the active hitboxes need a look-over because I've definitely dragged my longspear through someone that I blatantly missed.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the ability to continuously chamber chambers is what makes the rapier busted, ultimately. It's easy to chamber it, but they'll just chamber your chamber and if you try to morph their chamber stab will hit you because it's fast, and if you chamber indefinitely you'll run out of stamina first. If you couldn't chamber someone chambering you it'd be a much weaker weapon.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I guess I gotta hop on some duel servers and practice. I've found much success in using old chiv greatsword tactics but I want more of the full experience of chambering, parrying, morphing, feinting, etc.. Right now my main playstyle is run in, let them do a big horizontal swing, duck, pivot, come back up and remove their head. Occasionally people see through that and stab my face when I duck though. I'm also not above running into a group of 5-7 enemy players and just fuckin' swangin' that greatsword.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So let me explain to you guys how to be a horse god: the answer is the Billhook. Hop on a horse, or pull other cavalry off of their horses and take theirs. Then start your Billhook couch stabbing rampage until someone gets a lucky hit off on you.

One question I have though, I know couching was explained in the tutorial but I don't fully understand it because I haven't experimented with it enough. When you are in "couch mode", is it enough to just point your Billhook at a guy and ram into him, or do you have to click when you hit him as well? I've been clicking every time, so I'm not sure if it's purely coincidence that someone explodes into gore or not.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Arsonide posted:

So let me explain to you guys how to be a horse god: the answer is the Billhook. Hop on a horse, or pull other cavalry off of their horses and take theirs. Then start your Billhook couch stabbing rampage until someone gets a lucky hit off on you.

One question I have though, I know couching was explained in the tutorial but I don't fully understand it because I haven't experimented with it enough. When you are in "couch mode", is it enough to just point your Billhook at a guy and ram into him, or do you have to click when you hit him as well? I've been clicking every time, so I'm not sure if it's purely coincidence that someone explodes into gore or not.

Just point. No click needed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Polearms on horses are so cliche - the real winner on horseback is the Executioner's sword. Cleaving off multiple enemies' (and allies') heads at once will never stop being funny although you do have to watch out about killing your own horse.

Also found out today that if you get hit high enough up on the chest with a throwing axe you can pull it out of yourself and throw it back at the enemies.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 12, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I have taken up the habit of throwing poo poo at horse lords every chance I get. Most of the time it's pretty futile, but I have been rewarded with a few sick throwing axe headshots at some oval office going perpendicular at full gallop. Haven't had the wherewithal to save those clips, sadly.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Rynoto posted:

Polearms on horses are so cliche - the real winner on horseback is the Executioner's sword. Cleaving off multiple enemies' (and allies') heads at once will never stop being funny although you do have to watch out about killing your own horse.

Yes but an Executioner's Sword isn't nearly as effective at acquiring horses as the Billhook.

Earlier today I actually accidentally hit a friendly with the Billhook. We were blue and he was covered in blood. I ended up taking his horse anyway because it was in the middle of a relatively chaotic battleground and he was already on his rear end on the ground, probably was going to die anyway.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 12, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I loving love billhook, one of my favourite builds is no armor engineer with a billhook for loving cavalry and holding points. Its pretty efficient as a weapon too on top of the utility of loving horsemen.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dueling is fun. Big shoutout to the guy who was roaming around the dueling grounds with a lute and occasionally challenging people to fistfights. I had one with him and lost pretty badly :v: this is exactly what I want from the game, mindless murdering and silly shenanigans.

Sadly every once in a while clueless people drop in and start attacking like it's a FFA, or come in with longbows and hide on ledges, and gently caress your poo poo up while you're dueling :mad:

Also, eveningstar 4 lyfe, that thing just murders.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I thought I'd find duel servers boring, but nah. Spent a few hours on one the other day, it was a lot of fun. That dude playing referee was there for a while (or someone else doing the same gimmick anyways) and we also had like three different bards who just stood on ledges and pillars playing stuff with LuteBot. Every now and then someone would take a break from dueling and go up to a bard and jam out with emotes for a while. I also didn't get destroyed quite as bad as I thought I would, I was pretty much in the middle of the pack and actually managed to beat some of the top dogs a couple times.

TorakFade posted:

Sadly every once in a while clueless people drop in and start attacking like it's a FFA, or come in with longbows and hide on ledges, and gently caress your poo poo up while you're dueling :mad:

There were a few of these as well, but really it wasn't nearly as annoying as it was funny seeing them get dogpiled to poo poo and then kicked from the server. :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Trying to learn feints now, both reading them (haha I'm bad, panic parry all the time everytime) and doing them (haha I'm worse, people just stab me in the face).

Am I correct in thinking I'd better focus on my parrying / footwork / reading the opponent game first? Feinting seems to carry relatively little reward for scrubs like me, morphs seem to be more useful on the offensive, and straight parry (FTP actually I guess) on the defensive.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motherfucker posted:

NO ONE...

Shoots like gaston, lays the boot like gaston makes the knights poo poo in their suits like gaston...

Gaston probably would be an archer jerk irl

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

TorakFade posted:

Trying to learn feints now, both reading them (haha I'm bad, panic parry all the time everytime) and doing them (haha I'm worse, people just stab me in the face).

Am I correct in thinking I'd better focus on my parrying / footwork / reading the opponent game first? Feinting seems to carry relatively little reward for scrubs like me, morphs seem to be more useful on the offensive, and straight parry (FTP actually I guess) on the defensive.

I think you're correct, those skills are probably more important to hone first, although maybe start small with the feints, feint your first attack, see if they bite, then forget about feints for the rest of the fight. I do that a lot when I'm playing Frontline where the fights don't usually last long enough for multiple parries. Feint your first attack, bait a parry, stab a face, move on.

I also think that footwork is probably the most important and most overlooked skill in the game by new players. The hitboxes in this game are (for the most part) so good, you can slip by many many attacks, which, at worst means your opponent loses stamina from a missed attack, and at best means he loses stamina AND you're in position to get a free whack in. I didn't fully appreciate the importance of footwork until I started watching some of the better duelers on twitch, seeing them matrix poo poo is inspiring.

Last night I saw a dude side slip a thrust, sneak in his own hit, duck the followup swing, jump over the next attack, and crush his opponent's skull, all in the space of about 6 seconds. I almost started clapping. I can't wait to see how high the skill ceiling goes on this game. I'm never going to get close to it, but it will be fun to watch.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Arsonide posted:

Yes but an Executioner's Sword isn't nearly as effective at acquiring horses as the Billhook.

Just gotta do it right!

https://gfycat.com/GoodRequiredCrow

Edit: Executioner Chop is so fun and I am not good at this game but it makes me seem like I'm ok.

https://gfycat.com/WideMessyEthiopianwolf

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm trying out estoc, it's decent, but the damage output seems underwhelming. Which sword are you guys rocking, would you recommend it? What should you be aiming for with a sword, anyway?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

TorakFade posted:

As a new player focus on morphs to get around someone with a strong defense. Just slash then input a poke to morph the attack, if they early parry the expected slash your stab will hit.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that chambering is really not worth it a lot of the time, at least in a 1v1/1v2 scenario. Too much stamina drain. Baiting out chambers to drain the enemy's stamina is where it's at.

Also join up in the official goon Discord in the OP guys, come complain about rapier users in the chat and post your ugly rear end knights and play some drat games!! We'll teach you how to destroy everyone in both Frontline and in Duels, we got this poo poo on lock.

This may have been mentioned already, but chambers are definitely worth it in 1v1 scenarios! They can get some quick hits in on unsuspecting folks, but if people are blocking your chambers left and right, parry instead and save them for feints! This is where they really shine. Even if you're using a fast weapon, if you go to chamber someone during a feint you're much more likely to hit them, chamber or clash. It's how you punish people who feint! It's risky, but it's likely to pay off even if you're using a slow weapon versus a quick one.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Chambering seems to work pretty well for me but I'm running into stab spammers who will just chamber my chamber. Any suggestions on dealing with that or should I just spam stab too when I come up against one of these players?

Morph your chamber into an overhead or a horizontal slash if you get caught in a stab chamber war, this is what I do! It can be hard to actually morph it and not stab again for some reason, which I'm not sure if is down to game mechanics or my own dumb brain :)

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
e; Wrong thread

dromer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 13, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I'm trying out estoc, it's decent, but the damage output seems underwhelming. Which sword are you guys rocking, would you recommend it? What should you be aiming for with a sword, anyway?

The estoc is a longsword that trades some of its slash damage for ludicrous stabs. 2-3 shot stabs against heavy armor, its neat.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
mostly been playing with the in 3/3/3 armor with the messer, someone suggest something new for me since im an idiot who can't make decisions for myself

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The estoc is a longsword that trades some of its slash damage for ludicrous stabs. 2-3 shot stabs against heavy armor, its neat.

Yeah, after playing around with it some more, it's not bad. Only downside is I need to practice my slash riposte more, and this isn't helping.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

mostly been playing with the in 3/3/3 armor with the messer, someone suggest something new for me since im an idiot who can't make decisions for myself

Less armor, more polearms!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

dromer posted:

SR 5:
Order is Skiz, Dromer, Tom, Orvin, Goose

Privates are P18 (Upgrade Winnipeg), P20 (Free Yellowhead Pass Track Lay), P25 (Mail Contract)
Minors are M19, M28, M17, M14
Majors are CP, NTR, GTP

There are 2 L/2 trains remaining

Can we talk about this

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Legs Benedict posted:

The answer depends on if you're playing Frontline or Dueling.

2/3/2 Falchion and Buckler or Mace and Buckler. Your remaining 3 points can be spent on perks or a throwing weapon, or a combo. (Using the 3 points on a second Falchion is pretty hilarious, it does really good damage if you can pull off a head shot).

2/3/2 Falchion or Mace and Bloodlust. Fun in Frontline, kind of worthless for duels. Forces you to work on your footwork and great for hunting archers.

3/3/2 Billhook, 3 Perks, Friendly, Fireproof, Tenacious. An absolute beast on Frontline, pointless for duels.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i mostly play frontline and once in a blue moon play deathmatch with my friends so i will give those builds a shot, tyvm

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So if a spear user stands at me, and I stay right as they stab, that's a chamber right? How do you follow that up and hit them before they can recover? Do you just use another attack during the clashing of weapons?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, stabs don't have to be directional, like with swings. If you hear the grinding and see the sparks, that's a chamber.

As for hitting them out of the chamber, they're either going to parry your chamber, or chamber your chamber, which you can then parry or chamber etc. It's not a free hit. Most people are expecting chambers now, so it's not even going to hit them on average at this point. To get them out of a chamber, here's what you can do:

-Morphing still works if you do it early enough. Start the stab, hear the grind, and immediately morph into a swing or an overhead. They'll try to parry, and it'll likely be too early depending on when you morphed.
-Feint out of the chamber. Same principle as morphing.
-Redirect. Depending on how fast your weapon's drag limiter is, you may be able to slide off to the side and hit them out of their parry range, or in their legs. Works less often than the above two options do, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zotix posted:

So if a spear user stands at me, and I stay right as they stab, that's a chamber right? How do you follow that up and hit them before they can recover? Do you just use another attack during the clashing of weapons?

Nah, you've gotta wait and stab right before their stab hits you, at around the same time you'd hit the parry button. This will swat their attack aside at the same time as you start your own.
The chamber attack will be fast but not too fast to block. However you can morph it into another attack and they will have very little time to react.