Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I have a lot of thoughts on this but am traveling. Definitely a lot to in pack, many of those skills you can teach yourself with 4 hours on Lynda.com

Shoot me a PM and I’ll add you on LinkedIn since I try not to mix SA with real world cause I’m a dick here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Nohearum posted:

This has probably come up before, but does anyone have tips on how to transition from mechanical engineering to a software focused role? I've been working at a giant aerospace defense contractor for the last 8 years after getting my ME degree. I'm a lead analysis engineer now and I mainly deal with mechanisms/dynamics/controls/loads simulations. As part of this position I do a fair amount of programming to generate simulations, automate processes and postprocess data from analyses. The pay is decent but I'm really just burnt out of mechanical analysis at this point and ready to move onto something different. I've tried to discuss internal transfers to a software role with my manager but nothing fruitful comes out of it. I suspect part of this is because they don't have anyone trained to replace me if I leave.

I've always enjoyed the coding aspects of my job and would like to transition into this area full time. I'm struggling with specific jobs to search for and how I can make myself an attractive candidate for a software role without having a CS degree. I've spent the last 8 years working in a Linux environment with lots of experience with Python and Matlab, as well as some C, C++ and Fortran. I also have taken quite a few free courses online (algorithms, databases, machine learning etc) to try and expand my skillset. Any thoughts?

What do you think about self driving cars? Because mechanical engineers who actually do software work are a big part of my company and we are hiring like mad.

E: we also do work in mining and defense, not only commercial automotive

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nohearum posted:

I agree, but maybe self-doubt is getting in my way here.

Get PMs so I can message you some stuff.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nohearum, getting PMs is worth it for Beer4TheBeerGod's PM alone (not to mention CarForumPoster too). Can personally vouch that his PMs are absolute gold-dust and crammed with useful information. He goes above and beyond what any forum poster should do to help out.

PS: seeing you lot band together to help out another engineer is genuinely heartwarming.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Nohearum posted:

This has probably come up before, but does anyone have tips on how to transition from mechanical engineering to a software focused role? I've been working at a giant aerospace defense contractor for the last 8 years after getting my ME degree.
Dude, you should apply. Just do it. It will never hurt to apply.

I speak this as someone in a similar boat. (I was originally a comp sci major and switched to Mechanical Engineering because I did not want to sit in front of a computer all day.) Unfortunately that is what I am doing now... 9 years later. Ugh.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
TLDR: You have to stop not asking chicks out because they say they want a guy who is 5'9" and you're only 5'7"

Long version:
I'm going to break this down through two lenses, working as an engineer at a major defense contractor and working at a <50 employees tech startup.

I'm also a huge fan of loading up on 1 hour training videos just before an interview so I'll be suggesting that a lot.

Nohearum posted:

I agree, but maybe self-doubt is getting in my way here. Part of the problem is I keep reading job postings and feel like I'm missing a lot of the skills they are looking for. For example one of our software simulation engineer positions matches some of my programming language skills, but also wants a laundry list of skills that I don't have:
- Lean-Agile development (Scrum / SAFe / XP)
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket, Bamboo and JFrog Artifactory
- Cloud Deployment (AWS)
- Modern web application development and tech stack, including REST APIs

Thinking you need beyond superficial understanding of these tools is bullshit unless the job is specifically a DevOps engineer. At a defense contractor I am calling mega bullshit. They need you to have basic at best familiarity with these things, which is super easy to do. Watch this: https://www.lynda.com/JIRA-tutorials/DevOps-Foundations-Lean-Agile/622078-2.html

If you are not familiar with Agile, you should be anyway its very important to software development IMO.

Confluence and Jira are free or have free trials. Jira is pretty ubiquitous so if you've used it, try it out after you watch that Lynda video.
I like both of them. Go sign up and play around with them. Here's a 1 hour video that I haven't watched personally but I am positive it covers the basics https://www.lynda.com/JIRA-tutorials/Learning-Jira-Software/791351-2.html

Bitbucket is just Atlassian's Github. I use it at my company (as well as Jira, we're likely going to phase out confluence for Sharepoint since we use it for other stuff anyway). You git add, push, pull, all the same. If you've never used version control (like github) that should be a red flag to any interviewer. It says you don't know how to work on existing code or work with several others on software jointly.

If you sign up for the trial you can honestly say you have Atlassian accounts including confluence and Jira so there you checked the box.

quote:

- Real Time Operating Systems like RTEMS, RTLinux, QNX, LynxOS, etc.
- Communication protocols, including Ethernet, MIL-STD-1553, Serial

This could be real or could be BS, depending on the job. The MIL-STD-1553 manual is not that long. If you don't know what it is and you suspect that you're integrating avionics that use it, you should read it. Of course... theres a video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFLR95vYh1s

Nohearum posted:

I understand that no candidate will meet every requirement, but I start to doubt my viability when I'm missing 50% of the stuff. Some of those I could probably pick up through online courses, but I can't get a feel for how in-depth they are expecting those skills to be.

I can guarantee it isn't that in depth and you could learn what you need to learn in under a week of your free time. Knowing the basics of agile, how to commit software to version control (using BitBucket, apparently) and how to plan software development (using Jira) are all important skills anyway.

quote:

Do you have any details on your startup and how you managed that transition? Just curious on how you managed to branch out on your own. Jumping ship is a bit nerve-wracking because our company seems to lock the door/throw out the key once you leave. Long term you are right, its probably best for me to look externally.

Same as before, PM me.

If you're interested in the high risk world of startups:
https://www.workatastartup.com/ (Its rather bay area focused but I know that a lot of companies check it.)

quote:

I'm in the Denver area. Unfortunately I don't have a clearance which appears to be a golden ticket these days. I have noticed lots of positions that just seem to want people with an active TS/SCI. Pretty sure if you have a pulse and a TS/SCI companies will throw themselves at your feet.

I think I'm neutral on staying in the defense (satellite/launch vehicle specifically) industry. Part of me has accepted the realities of defense red-tape and bureaucracy in exchange for pretty decent job security, but part of me wants to see what the rest of the engineering world is like. Certainly willing to jump ship if the right opportunity arises.
Denver is awesome for engineers, stay there. Yes to the TS/SCI. If you dont have a clearance why the gently caress are you in the defense industry?

quote:

I have looked at some GNC positions (external and internal) since they tend to match my "Matlab Python" job searches. The one thing holding me back is a lot of them (mainly space industry related) also want significant Systems Tool Kit (STK) experience, which I've never used. I'll keep looking as I've done a few projects integrating vehicle autopilots into dynamics simulations.

If you like GNC and want to tackle CS/Mech E type problems, self driving cars are possibly one of the most important things in our time and the number of people working on them is relatively small compared to say, air travel in the 1950s.

GNC is a great spot if youre a Mech E with coding skills though. As a heads up GNC in defense is often code for GNC adjacent things so don't have too hard of an opinion of what you'll be doing, you're likely to be wrong.

quote:

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to get my resume tailored to CS and throw it out there and see what sticks as I'm probably overthinking this whole process. Hopefully the interviews won't expect me to reverse binary trees on a whiteboard or something. I'll probably just draw a sad face on the board and leave if that happens.

Dude just apply. Let them tell you you're ugly and pretend you're beautiful until the insist otherwise. You're going about this wrong from that perspective.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Awesome post.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm not sure where to start with this but I guess I'll just try and go for it. I was a pretty good student for most of school but ran into trouble in the last couple of years of high school (grade 10-12). I ended up not doing very well the last few years, having trouble with focus etc. For a long time my career trajectory was into either academia or engineering of some sort. Every test I took for career placement ended up being mechanical / aeronautical engineer or some kind of physics.

My grades plummeted in the last couple of years of school though and I ended up not being able to go to university and going to college for graphic design instead because I didn't meet the requirements for anything else. My career has been okay since but most of my projects in school ended up either becoming full on drafting / industrial design because I loved working in 3DS Max, illustrator or some CAD variation.

My career has been okay since then, I'm 30 now and I was slowly working my way to up the ladder in the industry but I have trouble being really passionate about it. Around 3 years ago I started suffering increased bouts of mania / psychosis and depressive episodes that would alternate for months on end and have been unemployed for almost two years now. I was diagnosed with Bipolar and unable to really do much from lack of energy and focus.

It turned out that the treatments for my chronic asthma I've been receiving for my chronic asthma and other autoimmune conditions since I was 11 months old had slowly fried my adrenal system and it eventually caught up to me and I was, in fact, experiencing alternating bouts of Cushing's disease and the adrenal Insufficiency.

I'm now in the process of being treated for it and I suddenly have my mind back after almost a decade and a half. I've been working my way through all the stuff I couldn't do in high school and college, learning calculus, statistics etc just for the fun of it.

I'm thinking of going back to school and pursuing my original dream of working in something like civil or mechanical engineering but I'm unsure exactly where to start and whether I'd really enjoy it. Also whether it even makes sense to do a career switch at this point in my life.

Should I just try reading some engineering textbooks and see how it sinks in?

TLDR: had a rare, undiagnosed illness for many, many years that limited what I could do. With treatment it's completely asymptomatic and I'm wondering if I should consider going back to my original life plan I abandoned because I was ill and didn't know it

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

If you can swing it then there is only one way to find out my friend: chase the dream. Find a way to do work adjacent to your goals, study the field, and get a degree from the best school you can attend without getting buried in debt (at least before you’re sure it’s both necessary and sufficient).

It’ll be a long, hard path but so is everything else.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Should I just try reading some engineering textbooks and see how it sinks in?

TLDR: had a rare, undiagnosed illness for many, many years that limited what I could do. With treatment it's completely asymptomatic and I'm wondering if I should consider going back to my original life plan I abandoned because I was ill and didn't know it

If you're not happy with what you're doing, then yes you should change it. Reach out to a local university or college and talk with them about what it would require for you to be accepted. Probably a few classes at a local community college to get your grades up.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Congrats on your new powers. I recommend going through community college. It'll minimize your cost risk and would accommodate your pace if you have to work or whatever. Some engineering programs are full throttle from day one and it might be too aggressive when you're still feeling it out.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Should I just take the FE (as a civil) and forget job hunting for a bit? Graduated in December and have been to a bajillion interviews with nothing and I'm sorta loving done with doing nothing all day save for the gym or a bike ride. Running around Michigan from up north to get nothing is starting to really dishearten me.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 17, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eskaton posted:

Should I just take the FE (as a civil) and forget job hunting for a bit? Graduated in December and have been to a bajillion interviews with nothing and I'm sorta loving done with doing nothing all day save for the gym or a bike ride. Running around Michigan from up north to get nothing is starting to really dishearten me.

I don't see how taking the FE and stopping your job hunt are related. Take the FE, sure, but I wouldn't stop looking. Have you received any feedback about why you haven't had any offers? Are you interviewing poorly?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Def take the FE, even though it's a stupid bullshit test that has no reflection on actual engineering ability/acumen and is a total look-up test designed to extract dollars into the testing behemoth. Esp for CivEs it tends to be an important step 'cause it's a good indicator that you're cut out to get a PE.

But like B4tBG said, don't stop applying. Hell, apply more. Hold yourself to flinging 5 resumes a day and you'll have more than you can handle within a month. Also, check out the interviewing megathread and practice practice practice -- interviewing is a skill like any other, and you need to go in with the right mindset and a few good answers to the normal questions.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Not a Children posted:

Def take the FE, even though it's a stupid bullshit test that has no reflection on actual engineering ability/acumen and is a total look-up test designed to extract dollars into the testing behemoth. Esp for CivEs it tends to be an important step 'cause it's a good indicator that you're cut out to get a PE.

But like B4tBG said, don't stop applying. Hell, apply more. Hold yourself to flinging 5 resumes a day and you'll have more than you can handle within a month. Also, check out the interviewing megathread and practice practice practice -- interviewing is a skill like any other, and you need to go in with the right mindset and a few good answers to the normal questions.

Passing the FE is required to get a PE in the vast majority of cases that I'm aware of. There are exceptions, but not many and it depends on jurisdiction.

Take the FE ASAP before you forget everything. Don't stop applying for jobs, but as a Civil you'll want to have passed the FE, otherwise you'll have a ton of career options closed off to you. You can certainly do it later, but it'll take a TON more studying, which is not easy with a full time job.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah I forget that the PE is a lot more important to CEs. As a ME I took the FE exam and then promptly did gently caress all with it. I might take the PE because why not.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

As manager of civil engineers I would not hire you without passing the FE. You are pretty much worthless to me without your PE. I am not going to train you if you haven't taken the first step to get your license. It is just a huge red flag. I would sign up today (honestly if you just got out of school you should walk right through it) and then put that on your cover letters that you are taking it on whatever date. What school did you go to and what was your GPA? What discipline did you concentrate in?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Eskaton posted:

Tried government/civilian military positions? Good benefits, fewer hours. Salary is lower because you work 40 hours instead of 50-55, but would be similar if you did work that much and filed for the overtime (government prefers awarding comp time to overtime). Some of them are getting really top-heavy with engineers nearing retirement, too, so they really want to find new blood. Because the federal fiscal year runs October-September, agencies are looking at what's available in the budget for bringing on new hires within the next few months.

Do take the FE. You might also see if you can find low-cost OSHA training on construction site safety. Sometimes professional organizations will sponsor reduced-cost training sessions for students/recent graduates and government/non-profit employees. I was able to get HAZWOPER 40 training for $50 that way. If you do take a site safety course, be sure to include it on your resume.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hello Sailor posted:

Tried government/civilian military positions? Good benefits, fewer hours. Salary is lower because you work 40 hours instead of 50-55, but would be similar if you did work that much and filed for the overtime (government prefers awarding comp time to overtime). Some of them are getting really top-heavy with engineers nearing retirement, too, so they really want to find new blood. Because the federal fiscal year runs October-September, agencies are looking at what's available in the budget for bringing on new hires within the next few months.

Do take the FE. You might also see if you can find low-cost OSHA training on construction site safety. Sometimes professional organizations will sponsor reduced-cost training sessions for students/recent graduates and government/non-profit employees. I was able to get HAZWOPER 40 training for $50 that way. If you do take a site safety course, be sure to include it on your resume.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 24, 2019

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I forget that the PE is a lot more important to CEs. As a ME I took the FE exam and then promptly did gently caress all with it. I might take the PE because why not.

Same but I hear a lot of CivEs should take it.That said I haven't heard anyone care what you earned on it, so just pass the poo poo.

Eskaton posted:

Figure out how to manage these feelings and keep on trucking. I manage these feelings by reminding myself that the expected value of sucking it the gently caress up is potentially literally $50,000 if I find a new job sooner. As someone who would really like 50 thousand dollars, it made getting rejected 50 times in 7 states much easier. Also when I ended up with a prestiguous job after many rejections it felt good that it proved them "wrong".

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you aren't looking through USAJobs.gov definitely do so.

Have you actually gotten interviews from there? When I was looking a few years back, spent some time but it turned into crickets. I've heard of other people having better luck.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'd say if you have enough people to sponsor you just spend a few weeks studying up and do it, esp if you're considering a career change in the near future. If you happen to want to get into public works it makes you stand out in a major way, esp if you're not generally expected to have one (i.e. anything but a CivE)

CarForumPoster posted:

Same but I hear a lot of CivEs should take it.That said I haven't heard anyone care what you earned on it, so just pass the poo poo.

FE/PE are pass/fail, you couldn't tell what you got on it if you wanted to (e: except in texas where some law makes it so they have to give you the score if you fail. But you won't fail, right?)

CarForumPoster posted:

Figure out how to manage these feelings and keep on trucking. I manage these feelings by reminding myself that the expected value of sucking it the gently caress up is potentially literally $50,000 if I find a new job sooner. As someone who would really like 50 thousand dollars, it made getting rejected 50 times in 7 states much easier. Also when I ended up with a prestiguous job after many rejections it felt good that it proved them "wrong".

Seconded

Also re: USAJobs just remember that government orgs take 5-10 times the amount of time to process applications because of all the red tape, so keep flinging resumes and don't get disheartened if it takes a looooong time to hear back

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CarForumPoster posted:

I took the FE fresh out of college and I'm glad I did. I haven't needed it but having that flexibility is nice.

CarForumPoster posted:

Have you actually gotten interviews from there? When I was looking a few years back, spent some time but it turned into crickets. I've heard of other people having better luck.

I did it once for an internal job transfer and got rejected for not being qualified. Which I am. So that's why I emphasized the need to tailor your resume.

Not a Children posted:

I'd say if you have enough people to sponsor you just spend a few weeks studying up and do it, esp if you're considering a career change in the near future. If you happen to want to get into public works it makes you stand out in a major way, esp if you're not generally expected to have one (i.e. anything but a CivE)

Professionally there's no reason for me to get it. My job is hyper specialized and the field is primarily research and development. The PhD I'm working on will be far more applicable. Mostly I'm just thinking about the challenge, and the fact that this is a pretty good time in my life to get it.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 17, 2019

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Professionally there's no reason for me to get it. My job is hyper specialized and the field is primarily research and development. The PhD I'm working on will be far more applicable. Mostly I'm just thinking about the challenge, and the fact that this is a pretty good time in my life to get it.

It's not hard. It's like every other standardized exam: A test of how good you are at taking the exam, not a test of how good you are at the relevant field. If you're just looking for another couple letters after your name, go for it, but if you're looking for a search for deeper meaning vis a vis engineering you're better off volunteering at a local after-school program

e: I will say that studying for it will help immensely in internalizing rote formulas and developing your reference-searching skills. Dunno if that'll apply if they change the exam from open-book, as it seems they're planning to sooner or later

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 17, 2019

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
In my experience, being able to say that you’re signed up for or have passed the FE can be a big boost in an interview. Even for disciplines where a PE doesn’t mean jack poo poo, it shows that you’re a proactive self-improver.

Also, many business/upper-management types think that having a PE means you’re better than non-PE’s. This can make the stamp something bosses look for when hiring.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's funny because it's been so long I completely forgot that I had even taken the FE.

Not a Children posted:

It's not hard. It's like every other standardized exam: A test of how good you are at taking the exam, not a test of how good you are at the relevant field. If you're just looking for another couple letters after your name, go for it, but if you're looking for a search for deeper meaning vis a vis engineering you're better off volunteering at a local after-school program

e: I will say that studying for it will help immensely in internalizing rote formulas and developing your reference-searching skills. Dunno if that'll apply if they change the exam from open-book, as it seems they're planning to sooner or later

Yeah I do a lot of mentorship and volunteering for the FIRST Robotics Competition. It's insanely fulfilling, especially as a robot inspector. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys teaching or wants to work with some really great kids. If anyone in the DC area is interested in it let me know.

The PE is mostly out of idle interest.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I do a lot of mentorship and volunteering for the FIRST Robotics Competition. It's insanely fulfilling, especially as a robot inspector. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys teaching or wants to work with some really great kids. If anyone in the DC area is interested in it let me know.

How much of a time commitment is this and what background knowledge do you need? FIRST wasn't around when I was a kid (or if it was I didn't have access to it), and my kid's 20 months old so I'm not exactly exposed to this stuff. I've kind of had a passing interest in it, but I never really dug in to see what was involved.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't see how taking the FE and stopping your job hunt are related. Take the FE, sure, but I wouldn't stop looking. Have you received any feedback about why you haven't had any offers? Are you interviewing poorly?

I haven't had anything beyond generic stuff. I swear I'm not goony. I just hate having to dump another near 200 bux of not my money into a test after passing school.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 17, 2019

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Spime Wrangler posted:

If you can swing it then there is only one way to find out my friend: chase the dream. Find a way to do work adjacent to your goals, study the field, and get a degree from the best school you can attend without getting buried in debt (at least before you’re sure it’s both necessary and sufficient).

It’ll be a long, hard path but so is everything else.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you're not happy with what you're doing, then yes you should change it. Reach out to a local university or college and talk with them about what it would require for you to be accepted. Probably a few classes at a local community college to get your grades up.

bred posted:

Congrats on your new powers. I recommend going through community college. It'll minimize your cost risk and would accommodate your pace if you have to work or whatever. Some engineering programs are full throttle from day one and it might be too aggressive when you're still feeling it out.

Thanks guys, that's really good to hear :)

I'm in the process of upgrading my lower level math credits to university level officially now because my province offers online courses really cheaply. I'm looking at University of Toronto and I'll get in contact with them and see what the say about admissions requirements.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eskaton posted:

I haven't had anything beyond generic stuff. I swear I'm not goony. I just hate having to dump another near 200 bux of not my money into a test after passing school.

Honestly man as a civil without it... I don't even understand why you didn't do it during school or why your school didn't push it as basically required.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
By the way, if you get the chance to be a science fair judge, loving do it. Low cost electronics and the access to other peoples projects to copy and improve mean kids these days built dope poo poo.

Heres one example of many:

I had a 14 year old build a wireless water intrusion in attic sensor system complete with multiple sensors and round the clock monitoring.

I was like...this dudes dad has to be an engineer and built it for him.

So we go to his system block diagram, turns out its an Arduino hooked up to some water sensors with some wifi modules that all talk to an off the shelf receiver for them. I politely grilled him on it and talked about failure states and he knew what would happen and had tested it. His dad was an engineer but he definitely knew the system well enough to have built it himself. The code was a drag and drop block diagram programming thing kinda like LabVIEW.

Still he actually really truly did make something that, when it works properly, will solve his problem.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 17, 2019

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

spwrozek posted:

Honestly man as a civil without it... I don't even understand why you didn't do it during school or why your school didn't push it as basically required.

Michigan Tech is an interesting institution. At least we had 3 years of required PE.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DaveSauce posted:

How much of a time commitment is this and what background knowledge do you need? FIRST wasn't around when I was a kid (or if it was I didn't have access to it), and my kid's 20 months old so I'm not exactly exposed to this stuff. I've kind of had a passing interest in it, but I never really dug in to see what was involved.

Entirely up to you. Background is generally some technical knowledge, time commitment ranges from a few weekends to basically a second job.

Eskaton posted:

It's not a test. It's a certification that's essentially mandatory in your field. Just do it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Civil firms don't get work if they don't have PEs to sign and seal. The more PEs they have, the more marketable they are and the more work they can get. If you are going for your PE, firms will want you because you are profit for them. If you aren't going for your PE, you're only pretending to be a civil engineer.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eskaton posted:

Michigan Tech is an interesting institution. At least we had 3 years of required PE.

Honestly socked that MTU is the school you went to. Granted I graduated from there in 2008 and stopped recruiting in 2012 when I moved to Colorado. The school is built completely around practical engineering knowledge. They pushed the FE at all turns, including a free review class. They still have the best career fair in the state and most of the Midwest, seriously go to MSU's it is a hilarious joke comparatively.

Definitely get your FE if you want to go anywhere with a civil engineering degree. That and the PE are a requirement for our industry.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Eskaton posted:

Another MTU alum calling you out (2007).

I doubled in Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering, and even in those classes they recommended that we take FE even though 99.9% of us would never ever use it.

Sorry man, MTU is actually a pretty great school for undergrad engineering and if you missed the memo on taking the FE then it's on you.

Go take it ASAP. Go buy a study guide if you have to, but it is very important to a Civil's career. If you fail it, save your beer money for a month and take it again. $200 is nothing for something that will get you a job.

edit:

PE is important and hell, I took more PE credits than I needed. My only regret is that I never got in to the Mountain Biking class because it filled up instantly. Joke's on them though I was on the cycling team.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 18, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm getting a PhD by taking distance classes, which means I will never have a chance to join the bladesmithing club on campus.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DaveSauce posted:

Another MTU alum calling you out (2007).

edit:

PE is important and hell, I took more PE credits than I needed. My only regret is that I never got in to the Mountain Biking class because it filled up instantly. Joke's on them though I was on the cycling team.

My favorite PE was when I both taught and took intro to snowboarding. I took softball and remember teaching an exchange student from China how to throw/catch a ball. Kind of a cool experience. Not in PE but one of my classmates taught me how to play cricket, that was cool too.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I mean I've already had the study books and downed the Marshall's lecture course on Youtube. It's still a logistical pain in the rear end to get to the test center in Lansing, but I'll buy it tonight. June 24th now.

I just did the gym PEs because I was lifting anyway and the roadbiking (they have a makerspace now so I picked up an old Puegeot and fixed it) and billiards because DHH. I've only heard other students really talk about the FE though, I don't recall much talk out of that. Sproule finally retired btw.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 18, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Shocked he was still around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm getting a PhD by taking distance classes, which means I will never have a chance to join the bladesmithing club on campus.

How's that? What made you decide to do that? What downsides do you see?