Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What is this heresy???? We all know you should not spend more time on the user front than you absolutely have to!!! Go develop more detailed pasta rules instead, you slacker!!! If players want to play our game they have to LEARN the interface through HARD WORK!!! BOOTSTRAPS!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yooper posted:

New dev diary on Unity of Command 2.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/809230/announcements/detail/1618392861327357479

gently caress that looks nice.

Dear god, it's beautiful.

The sentiment about UI being important, I mean.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We all know the most important part of a grog game is the trailer that's just a sequence of photos from WW2 with violins playing in the background.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Where does Unity of Command fall on the grog scale?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

We all know the most important part of a grog game is the trailer that's just a sequence of photos from WW2 with violins playing in the background.

I love that this is a thing. Grog devs never showing off their game but just playing orchestral music over black and white grainy footage from WW2. Never change.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Too well made, readily available at a reasonable price and approachable by non-grogs to be considered a true Grog game. :colbert: It doesn't even expect me to calculate fuel usage by hand or micromanage truck production.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

ZombieLenin posted:

I am super excited about RTW2, but...

Fighting Steel,

Thank you, you finally helped me find the name of the game I remembered from my childhood but couldnt ever find no matter how much i googled

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Unity of Command II looks so loving good. The diaries have been really encouraging with changes to logistics and fow and oob n poo poo

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

Sometimes I think the real charm of grog games isn't the game but the challenge of learning the interface, searching some obscure forum for help posts, being denigrated by internet basement dwellers, and coming out on top of whatever overly analyzed tactical theater we're in. It's not really about the game. We're here for the challenge of learning the game, not playing it.

(Hopefully you see the sarcasm above)

Unity of Command strips away that obfuscation layer and puts you squarely into the game. Now when you can't take Moscow in 1941 it's not because the game isn't deep enough, or not modeled well enough, or lacks an industry engine that accurately portrays Wehrmacht production in the Spring of 1941. It's because you're a lovely player or that some objectives simply aren't possible given historical constraints. But Johann Von Wehraboo can't handle that truth so by cleaning up the UI they are fully exposing him to his own failures. Can't blame a lovely interface if it doesn't have a lovely interface.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's true and all but UoC is barely a grog game really I think. It's a puzzle game dressed up as a wargame, which swings a little too far to the simplification side for my tastes. You can absolutely put yourself in a no win situation despite following the "rules" of stacking attacks just by getting unlucky on a die roll, with no way to recover. Which isn't to say that doesn't reflect reality necessarily, but I like to be more complicit in my own downfall than losing a die roll.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

But Johann Von Wehraboo can't handle that truth so by cleaning up the UI they are fully exposing him to his own failures. Can't blame a lovely interface if it doesn't have a lovely interface.

Please do not call me out like this

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I dunno I get the sense that Unity of Command is only able to have such a clean UI and intuitive game mechanics because it seriously compromises the actual simulation aspect of the game. This is a perfectly understandable decision, but for me it makes me feel less like I'm Mark Clark at the Battle of Anzio (:goonsay:) and more like I'm playing a World War 2 themed puzzle game

e:

Pharnakes posted:

That's true and all but UoC is barely a grog game really I think. It's a puzzle game dressed up as a wargame, which swings a little too far to the simplification side for my tastes. You can absolutely put yourself in a no win situation despite following the "rules" of stacking attacks just by getting unlucky on a die roll, with no way to recover. Which isn't to say that doesn't reflect reality necessarily, but I like to be more complicit in my own downfall than losing a die roll.

I'm a firm believer that wargames should be heavy on the RNG. Unexpected stupid poo poo that dramatically alters plans is a common theme in military history. I guess that's not the most fun from a gameplay aspect but I think it's a very important part of the simulaton.

sum fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 10, 2019

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It is a war based puzzle game and it's very good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

uPen posted:

It is a war based puzzle game and it's very good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

imho the 'puzzle' thing is a bit dumb. there are only 'wrong moves' if you are set on getting brilliant victories, and even then a lot of those are pretty flexible. this is less true in the soviet dlc which was by a different guy I think

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sum posted:

I'm a firm believer that wargames should be heavy on the RNG. Unexpected stupid poo poo that dramatically alters plans is a common theme in military history. I guess that's not the most fun from a gameplay aspect but I think it's a very important part of the simulaton.

Absolutely. The trick though is making the results of the RNG clear to the player, and giving him the opportunity to at least attempt to mitigate them. Smashing a doomstack into a lightly defended enemy should have a slim chance of failure, but the game should not only communicate why that happened very clearly, but also give the player the opportunity to attempt to fix it. Even if the chance of bringing about the originally-intended result is zero, losing while trying to hold the assault together is a lot more fun than “gently caress, the enemy rolled a natural twenty and mulched my entire assault force.”

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Yooper posted:

New dev diary on Unity of Command 2.

Legendary advice that will never be accepted by any other devs

Pharnakes posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out it even was Italy.

My dumbass thought i was looking at a zoomed in part of Japan for a whole 5 minutes :(

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

sum posted:

But you can't really say that it's part of the simulation in UoC since UoC isn't a simulation like that. I also like heavy FoW and the opportunity for your best laid plans to go haywire, but like Mr Yenko said it should be an organic part of the game that requires you to actively gently caress up, not just to roll a 1 on a d100, and likewise unless you repeatedly gently caress up there should be a potential recovery.

UoCs focused scenarios in time and space combined with the total reliance on RNG for combat makes for a perfect storm for this kind of frustration, so the answer is simply the game isn't for me. Weirdly I find it far less frustrating to loose in a large/grand campaign style game like DC:B or WitP where my initial gently caress up could be months in the past before it become clear, despite the fact that I would therefore have been playing an "unwinnable" scenario for quite a while without even realising it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzer Corps is a puzzle game dressed up as a wargame. Wargames can be on one end or the other of the simulationist/puzzle spectrum.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Decisive Campaigns LP Test Post: Feedback very much appreciated

Welcome to this Goon v Goon Multiplayer LP! Decisive Campaigns is a series of Wargames by Dutch designer Victor Reijkersz. If these screenshots look similar to an Advanced Tactics Gold! LP you've read, that's because that was his game as well! Decisive Campaigns takes that sandbox design and puts a layer of narrative over it to represent Campaigns from WW2.

In this LP BBJoey, Tekopo and Saros will be leading the German army against the Polish forces of Alikchi, uPen, and OTF.

Link to turn posts:

So what's the scenario? Cribbed from the manual:

What does this mean on the map?
The North: Two German Armies face off against three Polish Operational Groups. The Germans are concentrated and with armour, the Polish thinly spread and unable to form a continuous line. The Prussian Polish border is swampland protected by a series of forts, the western border region is good tank country but with a series of rivers and not many crossings.

The South: Three German armies face three Polish Operational Groups. 8th and 10th Army are set to drive through the land-bridge to Warsaw, while the Poles will have to scramble to withdraw in good order to form a blocking line on Lodz.

The Win Conditions:

Note, the Polish side is not expected to be actually able to defeat the German invasion. The objective for the Poles is to try to do better than historically. Each turn is two days. By the end of the time limit the Germans need to have either seized Warsaw and all cities west of it, or every city on the map except for Warsaw in order to win. If the Poles can inflict 10% or more attrition on the Germans then they win a moral victory.

On to the scenario!

Danzig is seized in the pre-turn actions! This is an automatic event. There are varients of this map where Danzig is held by a 4 division British Expeditionary Force that can threaten the German flanks, but for this time the players are playing vanilla.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Looks good to me!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

To me personally I don't think the non-map images are big enough that you need to timg them. I'm fine with clicking a map to zoom in and get a good look if I need to but the ones that are static text and stuff on a relatively fixed resolution might be fine to just leave normal for less clicking (especially since if you want to read those you'd pretty much have to expand them anyway, where as you can get the jist of a zoomed out map).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

To me personally I don't think the non-map images are big enough that you need to timg them. I'm fine with clicking a map to zoom in and get a good look if I need to but the ones that are static text and stuff on a relatively fixed resolution might be fine to just leave normal for less clicking (especially since if you want to read those you'd pretty much have to expand them anyway, where as you can get the jist of a zoomed out map).

I went back and forth on this, I felt that if I had all the others as full images by default then the post gets pretty huge. Happy to take more opinions though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I agree with Zaodai, and its a ss lp of a map game, of course the post is going to get huge but what of it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Any reason why CMANO has no multiplayer? I feel like it would shine a lot in many scenarios with it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tythas posted:

Thank you, you finally helped me find the name of the game I remembered from my childhood but couldnt ever find no matter how much i googled

You are welcome! And thanks for reminding me of how old I am. I was in my 3rd year of undergrad when Fighting Steel came out :negative:

The game I have fond memories of from my early teens was GNBNA, or Great Naval Battles of the North Atlantic. It looks like this one is actually getting remade/cloned; however the new version someone linked her looks almost exactly like a game from 1992.

I will still buy the poo poo out of it though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Panzer Corps is a puzzle game dressed up as a wargame. Wargames can be on one end or the other of the simulationist/puzzle spectrum.

Yeah but Panzer Corp has duplicate solutions which makes it a lesser puzzle game. NEeds more mechanical tightness

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Vahakyla posted:

Any reason why CMANO has no multiplayer? I feel like it would shine a lot in many scenarios with it.

Stick around.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dimitris posted:

Stick around.

oh my god :allears:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Dimitris posted:

Stick around.

:fap:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Last time I mentioned WW2 CMANO I got a similar response I hope that wasn't just a cruel joke.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I've never played CMANO but for some reason I just assumed it had multi. Or is that only in the defense industry version?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alchenar posted:

There are varients of this map where Danzig is held by a 4 division British Expeditionary Force that can threaten the German flanks, but for this time the players are playing vanilla.

Where exactly are the British supposed to find 4 divisions in 1939 ? The BEF in France was 10 divisions plus two corps and one army HQs, but that's after a year of wartime measures.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

mllaneza posted:

Where exactly are the British supposed to find 4 divisions in 1939 ? The BEF in France was 10 divisions plus two corps and one army HQs, but that's after a year of wartime measures.

More importantly, how do the British sneak these divisions into one of the most hotly contested regions on the continent.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Since they are there on turn 1 I suppose the assumption is they were already moved before war was declared.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
And the Germans were fine with this?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pharnakes posted:

Since they are there on turn 1 I suppose the assumption is they were already moved before war was declared.

That just raises further questions.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

They were all there on holiday.
In September.
It's legit.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They were invited. Punch was served. A wonderful time was had by all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can't have historical plausibility AND scenario variants where the Polish player isn't just a punching bag for the Germans

Just roll with it. Otherwise we'd also be questioning why WTP also has a Sealion scenario