Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, Jhet and I bought the same seeds and they were poo poo. All my other peppers germinated.

Why don’t you ask one of the Sichuan restaurants around you where they source their erjingtiao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

So, homemade miso comparison. The one on the left is from my soy sauce bucket. It's very pale, and saltier than most store bought. That's mostly because I used 18% salinity in the process. I could have gone less yet, but it was my first batch. It clearly needs some time in the sun, and some more oxidation. But it tastes like a really young miso. Not great yet, but there's promise.

The middle one is a store bought for color comparison. It's also flavored with bonito, seaweed, and msg. It's not the best I've ever had, but I don't always want to make a special trip for something I don't constantly use.

The right is from the same batch as the first. I took one log and put it in a glass container with a bad seal. It was stuck in a box about 15 months ago. I've left it in the box undisturbed except once to check it's progress about 6 months ago. It's much darker and tastes a lot like the store bought in fermented flavor. It's thinner, but I haven't stuck it in a food processor or anything. I could eat this.

The sauces are similar in color to the soy beans. So the big batch of soy sauce won't get packaging until I can get more oxidation and color change.

Method:
Cook soy beans until just barely firm. You don't want to overcook them or it makes forming them more difficult. I then mashed them by hand, and kneaded in rice that was covered in A. oryzae. It was formed into logs and then sliced. I left them covered in a humid environment for a few days and when they were covered in the white mold I took them out and dried them in a combination of the little sun I had and a gentle fan. It took a couple days, but they dried out and turned brown. They were put into 18% brine and set out on the porch over night with just a mesh cover. I don't have any appropriate zygosaccharomyces or pediococcus strains that survive in a saline environment, but the air does. They were moved into my basement and the soy sauce was in a mostly full 8 gallon bucket. The miso was in a 2qt container. The soy sauce container has been stirred regularly, but not quite as much as it probably needs to have been. I know that traditionally it's stirred basically every day, but I did it about once a week. I also need to cover it, but I probably could have gotten away without using an airlock on it. Really I needed more oxygen in.

TLDR, the miso turned out great. Need to leave the soy sauce for longer and put it in the sun. Definitely will do this again, but probably do the mold stage in August and not November or January or whenever I did it when it was cold.

Having a good GF option to give to my celiac family members is A+. So they're getting a bunch of miso and a jar of the tamari to start.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AujuLHK3hvs

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

So, homemade miso comparison. The one on the left is from my soy sauce bucket. It's very pale, and saltier than most store bought. That's mostly because I used 18% salinity in the process. I could have gone less yet, but it was my first batch. It clearly needs some time in the sun, and some more oxidation. But it tastes like a really young miso. Not great yet, but there's promise.

The middle one is a store bought for color comparison. It's also flavored with bonito, seaweed, and msg. It's not the best I've ever had, but I don't always want to make a special trip for something I don't constantly use.

The right is from the same batch as the first. I took one log and put it in a glass container with a bad seal. It was stuck in a box about 15 months ago. I've left it in the box undisturbed except once to check it's progress about 6 months ago. It's much darker and tastes a lot like the store bought in fermented flavor. It's thinner, but I haven't stuck it in a food processor or anything. I could eat this.

The sauces are similar in color to the soy beans. So the big batch of soy sauce won't get packaging until I can get more oxidation and color change.

Method:
Cook soy beans until just barely firm. You don't want to overcook them or it makes forming them more difficult. I then mashed them by hand, and kneaded in rice that was covered in A. oryzae. It was formed into logs and then sliced. I left them covered in a humid environment for a few days and when they were covered in the white mold I took them out and dried them in a combination of the little sun I had and a gentle fan. It took a couple days, but they dried out and turned brown. They were put into 18% brine and set out on the porch over night with just a mesh cover. I don't have any appropriate zygosaccharomyces or pediococcus strains that survive in a saline environment, but the air does. They were moved into my basement and the soy sauce was in a mostly full 8 gallon bucket. The miso was in a 2qt container. The soy sauce container has been stirred regularly, but not quite as much as it probably needs to have been. I know that traditionally it's stirred basically every day, but I did it about once a week. I also need to cover it, but I probably could have gotten away without using an airlock on it. Really I needed more oxygen in.

TLDR, the miso turned out great. Need to leave the soy sauce for longer and put it in the sun. Definitely will do this again, but probably do the mold stage in August and not November or January or whenever I did it when it was cold.

Having a good GF option to give to my celiac family members is A+. So they're getting a bunch of miso and a jar of the tamari to start.

That's awesome that you took the time to learn and do that. Reminds me of my experience making mozarella, wherein I learned that for a fair amount of effort and only a little more money, I could make mozarella at home that was almost as good as store bought.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^Thanks, it's been fun and I really enjoy fermenting things. So while it's pretty close to things I routinely do, the mold step is out of the ordinary and there are a bunch of new smells and steps I'm just going by instinct.

Whalley posted:

Mala Market has naturally dried peppers and I have germinated from them in the past, but not for a while.

Thank you for this recommendation. I ordered them and they are soft and are in amazing condition for dried peppers. They are in better condition than any I've ever ordered. Explains the price tag at least.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Wow that is some bad lookin "mapo"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

Wow that is some bad lookin "mapo"

I didn't click that video until now and lmao what the gently caress is that poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I kinda like that video

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't click that video until now and lmao what the gently caress is that poo poo

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s a channel that now keeps showing up on my youtube suggestions. It just won’t go away.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
seems like an ok channel?????

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah I like that channel

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

it's a good channel

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Good channel does takedown of bad recipe; "authenticity" obsessed brains break trying to grapple with this assault on the integrity of mapo tofu, of all things.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

marshalljim posted:

Good channel does takedown of bad recipe; "authenticity" obsessed brains break trying to grapple with this assault on the integrity of mapo tofu, of all things.

no but see my "whatever i have to huck in the wok" recipe is more authentic, because :ssj:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

marshalljim posted:

What are you even arguing with?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You guys ever get indigestion after a spicy hotpot?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

I could ask the same of you

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Grand Fromage posted:

What have you got?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

You guys ever get indigestion after a spicy hotpot?

I just get sick after seeing you

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Whalley posted:

no but see my "whatever i have to huck in the wok" recipe is more authentic, because :ssj:

Authentic or not, the mapo tofu in the video looked like rear end, especially with the chunks of tofu

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Authentic or not, the mapo tofu in the video looked like rear end, especially with the chunks of tofu

Did you watch the video?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah I like that channel, really helpful for recreating food my mom used to make without having to talk to her. Kinda sad it doesn't have more legit recipes from her home province though but the one they had was legit

Xun fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 10, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

lol the channel made 2 verisons, one looked fine one looked more like a bad version of 家常豆腐. i was saying the latter one from the american cook book was bad, in case anyone thought otherwise.

mapo tofu just is tofu in red oily sauce, its v lax.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

caberham posted:

which one? they made 2.

VV Maybe they think they're making GBS threads on the 'authentic' one as not being authentic either?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

lol the channel made 2 verisons, one looked fine one looked more like a bad version of 家常豆腐. i was saying the latter one from the american cook book was bad, in case anyone thought otherwise.

mapo tofu just is tofu in red oily sauce, its v lax.

caberham didn’t watch the video and trusts your sichuan food judgement, so he misunderstood your original post and tried to agree with you for internet points

hth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Xun posted:

Yeah I like that channel, really helpful for recreating food my mom used to make without having to talk to her. Kinda sad it doesn't have more legit recipes from her home province though but the one they had was legit

Tell us more about your family life

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Could I make the char siu bao filling from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5GJP_i55o but then wrap it in filo, brush it with butter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That sounds tasty, you'd have a char sui samosa-y thing, basically. They might come out a bit thin, as the char sui filling isn't that bulky normally and relies on the bun itself for some heft, while samosas end up using chunks of potato or the like to bulk them out.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

Could I make the char siu bao filling from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5GJP_i55o but then wrap it in filo, brush it with butter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake?

The dough looks a little too bready and dense :smith: And the chopped filling is a little meh.

pim01 posted:

That sounds tasty, you'd have a char sui samosa-y thing, basically. They might come out a bit thin, as the char sui filling isn't that bulky normally and relies on the bun itself for some heft, while samosas end up using chunks of potato or the like to bulk them out.

Yeah so within the last 10 years there's char siu filling in all kinds of different dimsum dough like a pineapple bun, a baked lard crust 蘇, or whatever.

A good char siu bao dough is hard to make though, I have trouble putting it into words but it's more fluffy and a mild texture to it. Honestly though, Cantonese cuisines aren't that good at make doughs in general and have that blander generic taste

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

caberham didn’t watch the video and trusts your sichuan food judgement, so he misunderstood your original post and tried to agree with you for internet points

hth

shut up, 7:57 when he served it into a bowl and added the pepper corn last minute did not look appealing

even the second video everything in that stir fry looked had giant chunks of veggies. It's got that super American Chinese grease joint look to it instead of having the food cut up into finer strips

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

shut up, 7:57 when he served it into a bowl and added the pepper corn last minute did not look appealing

even the second video everything in that stir fry looked had giant chunks of veggies. It's got that super American Chinese grease joint look to it instead of having the food cut up into finer strips

I’m glad we shamed you into watching the video and doubling down!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

caberham posted:

The dough looks a little too bready and dense

Don't care

quote:

And the chopped filling is a little meh.

This is a little more relevant to my interests though. Can you link to a video or recipe in English with good char siu bao filling please thank you :)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

caberham posted:

Yeah so within the last 10 years there's char siu filling in all kinds of different dimsum dough like a pineapple bun, a baked lard crust 蘇, or whatever.

A good char siu bao dough is hard to make though, I have trouble putting it into words but it's more fluffy and a mild texture to it. Honestly though, Cantonese cuisines aren't that good at make doughs in general and have that blander generic taste

My favourite char siu bun-like thing was an awesome giant bao that was baked in a tandoor, in a night market in Taipei. Giant line, but the wait was super worth it. I've made various versions of baked char siu buns since, but never got that awesome fluffy + crust texture right :(

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

baked baozi are really good. you see that stuff a lot in uighur food. last night I had some really good baked lamb baozi at a uighur place.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ooh that's good to know - i always end up distracted by all the other awesome uighur food, so never noticed that thats a thing. Will have to keep an eye out next time!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

Sichuan Chili in Evendale is IMO hands down the best.

Just tried this place today. Quite good and genuine Sichuan flavors, though it was a weird experience for me because the cooks clearly are from a different region of Sichuan than I lived in so it was all different than the Sichuan food in my head. Good, but nothing was what I expected it to be. I ordered a shitload of stuff and have leftovers for lunch all week. :getin: The Chinese grocery right by it is pretty baller too, scored some 空心菜.

I really wish we had Uighurs cooking around here. :smith:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 12, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
First time trying to work with phyllo, holy poo poo I am terrible at this. Tasted pretty good though

edit: what's a good easy way to use up a ton of leftover scallion oil?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 13, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ranter posted:

edit: what's a good easy way to use up a ton of leftover scallion oil?
Cong you bing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Boil a chicken, cool, cut up to pieces, dip with lightly sauteed chopped scallions, oil, salt.

Bonus: chicken stock!