Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I have a former classmate on Facebook, who was a Bush fan and then one of the fabled Obama -> Bernie -> Trump voters.

He’s back on the Bernie train, but wishes we could just come together and respect the president who selflessly sacrificed his comfortable lifestyle for the country he loves, only to face such such undeserved hate.

And he hates AOC. A video about Bernie being cool for advocating for UHC even back in the 80s is followed by several posts from an anti-Alexandria “Occasional Cortex” group for being a dumb bitch who got owned by Trump on the Green New Deal and the divisive Russia investigation. If she wants to get rid of Trump so bad, she should find a candidate we can all unite behind and defeat him at the ballot box. Also look at this picture of her with an O mouth I bet Bill Clinton likes that COME ON NO MATTER WHICH PARTY YOU’RE FROM YOU HAVE TO AGREE THAT’S FUNNY ARRRRGH.

I can’t stop thinking about it. I feel like a character in a Lovecraft story being driven mad.

He's a just misogynist hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm kinda amazing Chapo hasn't signed on with the Gravel Gang, elder abuse concerns aside. Their letter about Mayor Pete sounded a lot like an angry drunk Matt rant.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

T-man posted:

I'm kinda amazing Chapo hasn't signed on with the Gravel Gang, elder abuse concerns aside. Their letter about Mayor Pete sounded a lot like an angry drunk Matt rant.

They're scared of the competition.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1126022244487053313

I don't think this is a better of "when" but more of a matter of "if".

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Stringent posted:

They're scared of the competition.

Nah the gravel gang is a dumb, too self aware meme and they're wise to keep a bit of distance. Evidence of that is the fact that they're dealing with rejection of the gentlest sort by sulking and whining about it instead of rolling with it

See? Amber rules

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Durr we've co opted a senile idiot into letting us use the remnants of his stature to pop off on whoever's we want. We're meaningfully taking on the grotesque American empire

Boo hoo our internet friends weren't sufficiently supportive :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

terrorist ambulance posted:

Durr we've co opted a senile idiot into letting us use the remnants of his stature to pop off on whoever's we want.

That's a really lovely and dismissive way to talk about Mike Gravel, especially for someone who's personally acquainted with him and knows his situation so intimately.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Stringent posted:

That's a really lovely and dismissive way to talk about Mike Gravel, especially for someone who's personally acquainted with him and knows his situation so intimately.

It's how it looks and sounds to anyone who isn't his grandson or whatever personal relationship you have with him. They're right to joke about it looking like elder abuse.

Listen to gravel on pod drat America for how he actually thinks and then compare that to the freaking awesome memes on his Twitter

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

It's how it looks and sounds to anyone who isn't his grandson or whatever personal relationship you have with him.

No it doesn't.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

It's how it looks and sounds to anyone who isn't his grandson or whatever personal relationship you have with him. They're right to joke about it looking like elder abuse.

Listen to gravel on pod drat America for how he actually thinks and then compare that to the freaking awesome memes on his Twitter

Watch the VICE News Tonight clip if you want to see the kids and how they interact with him. There’s misfires but they seem to be cool with one another, and have a common understanding of their goals. He’s completely fine with it, so what’s your problem?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapo wants elected officials to call the Trump family cunts on the floor of the House but suddenly get all weird about decorum and elder abuse when it comes to zoomers. They did an entire episode on Elliot Abrams and told an Ivy League audience to burn their campus to the ground but signal boosting the quixotic campaign of the guy who read the pentagon papers into the record isn’t serious discourse. They regularly check in on Qanon and incredibly obscure Twitter grudges but distance themselves from some of the best anti-imperialist meme action going. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the gravel gang is too thirsty for internet approval and not doing anything that actually matters, that's probably why no one but Vice fluffjobs are treating them as anything more than 'yea that exists on Twitter I guess'. They're the complete unironic form of 'podcasts are praxis'. Mike Gravel being a good guy doesn't make this not a creepy vanity project for literal children

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are, as you point out, literal children, growing up under the very state of the art of capitalism. They’ve already forged one cross-generational alliance, and it’s not like Chapo or its audience is a paragon of praxis. Either it’s content and it would be funny to laugh about something more wholesome for a change, or we’re all just trying to figure poo poo out. Either way, I think it was a missed opportunity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kobayashi posted:

They are, as you point out, literal children, growing up under the very state of the art of capitalism. They’ve already forged one cross-generational alliance, and it’s not like Chapo or its audience is a paragon of praxis. Either it’s content and it would be funny to laugh about something more wholesome for a change, or we’re all just trying to figure poo poo out. Either way, I think it was a missed opportunity.

Yea I'm not saying anyone should, like, gently caress with them, I just think the stance of 'yea we're not gonna mess with this either way' is probably best.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

How do you imagine the hosts would react when Gravel states that the most progressive ticket with the best shot of winning would be Bloomberg/Gabbard?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

sexpig by night posted:

the gravel gang is too thirsty for internet approval and not doing anything that actually matters, that's probably why no one but Vice fluffjobs are treating them as anything more than 'yea that exists on Twitter I guess'. They're the complete unironic form of 'podcasts are praxis'. Mike Gravel being a good guy doesn't make this not a creepy vanity project for literal children

yeah how dare those children not join the DSA and argue over agenda setting and accuse each other of being nazis like *checks notes* the very leftists who have failed to overthrow capitalism for two centuries

If 19th century methods worked the 20th century would've been the communist one

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Gravel isn't a communist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

T-man posted:

yeah how dare those children not join the DSA and argue over agenda setting and accuse each other of being nazis like *checks notes* the very leftists who have failed to overthrow capitalism for two centuries

so, like, did you mean to imply some Cool Teens making tweets using a good politician's account is more direct action than 'two centuries' of leftist organization or did you just kinda fall rear end backwards into this weird place

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

T-man posted:

I think even the gravel teens would find this embarrassing lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
broke: The Gravel Teens are a funny oddity but we shouldn't really give kids that much attention for meme posting

woke: The Gravel Teens are actually serious figures and can be used to create a leftist future

bespoke: The Gravel Teens are basically Marx and Engels reborn.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

sexpig by night posted:

so, like, did you mean to imply some Cool Teens making tweets using a good politician's account is more direct action than 'two centuries' of leftist organization or did you just kinda fall rear end backwards into this weird place

New forms of activism will be needed to produce a new order in the world. Half of leftist work has been writing innumerable boring books and confusing pamphlets or dumb podcasts (see thread) that are mostly only seen by other leftists. Weird Leftist Twitter, and the gravel teens in particular, is a new way of getting class awareness to people who will not read a book, who are the real proletariat. I'd rather see Mike Gravel meme awareness about American imperialism than read Lenin's hot 1900's takes on party politics.

posting memes has done more class consciousness raising than any book by a German incel

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Let's get the cool meme kids on the podcast that certainly won't be dumb as hell like the last time they had a cool meme kid on the podcast

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
You have to admit there's a certain irony in the comments section of the hot couch podcast dismissing the rude teens for not being a serious force in left politics

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Let's get the cool meme kids on the podcast that certainly won't be dumb as hell like the last time they had a cool meme kid on the podcast

SexualJumanji was fine.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Gravel lost my support when I found out his name isn't pronounced how I thought

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pharmaskittle posted:

Gravel lost my support when I found out his name isn't pronounced how I thought

is it not like the rocks and instead all french and lame?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

sexpig by night posted:

is it not like the rocks and instead all french and lame?

Yeah afraid so

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Gravel kids can't go on Chapo because they're explicitly a Chapo-inspired outfit, so bringing them on to talk about their epic Twitter account would be self congratulatory self-suckery

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Interviewing Gravel isn't really any different than interviewing Kaniela Ing or any other leftist candidate that has no chance of winning.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That's why I said the Gravel kids, there's no way he's going to turn up to do an interview on Chapo without them turning up as his minders to do 80% of the talking

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

multijoe posted:

The Gravel kids can't go on Chapo because they're explicitly a Chapo-inspired outfit, so bringing them on to talk about their epic Twitter account would be self congratulatory self-suckery

Yeah, it would be a terrible version of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FT3IGXtAk

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
the gravel gang are just the left equivalent of toronto city councillor norm "6dad" kelly's former social media team at the end of the day

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, can't wait for this

https://twitter.com/tylerwinklevoss/status/1127615400055902210

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I delete all my emails so that works for me

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I would like to introduce T-manKoins, where you owe me 50 T-manKoins every time you read my post, takes this hot should be compensated with, I put a lot of labor into smoking weed and not reading books. Please see person who is not me, S-woman, to buy T-manKoin at today's exchange rate of $5 per Koin.

Please note this policy is retroactive and you pay every time you eye saccades away and back from my words

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What's the rate on not seeing your posts?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Stringent posted:

What's the rate on not seeing your posts?

apply finger directly into cornea, repeat

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:effort:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't like kids. I do not want their pimply faces anywhere near my podcast. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Dammit, Will, it's Orinoco Flow, not "ocarina". :argh: