Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

chaosapiant posted:

I have all the M&M games on my GOG account and have super tried to get into MM6, but every time I fire it up I get overwhelmed by all of the "what the gently caress do I do?" in the game. Normally it's a quality that I like. Morrowind is a classic and I'm already a crotchety old gamer. But MM6 is one of those "Roomba" games. You just bump into poo poo until you find the right path.

You can say this but I have very fond memories of having no clue what I was doing and just bashing my way through the Tomb of VARN as I could before ever finishing the quests to get to the Oracle.

Sometimes I think RPGs are more fun when you're really bad at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Shugojin posted:

You can say this but I have very fond memories of having no clue what I was doing and just bashing my way through the Tomb of VARN as I could before ever finishing the quests to get to the Oracle.

Sometimes I think RPGs are more fun when you're really bad at them.

MM6 is definitely awful and I couldn't quite finish it (the demons were too hard) but I really enjoyed it and I wish that someone would come along and make another game like it. I'm not interested in the turn based MMX.

I never really felt confused though, it's not that confusing. It always guides you to where you need to go even if you're not ready for it yet.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

chaosapiant posted:

I’ll never get this criticism of Witcher 3. The combat is quite good and I cannot think of a single other RPG that isn’t Dark Souls that does it better.

100% :agreed: The combat is built around knowing your enemies and being prepared. Drink the right potions and carry the right oils before going into battle. Use signs to augment your favored combat style. I like swordplay, so I focus on that and use signs as a panic button when thinks start going south.

The only complaint I might have is when I have to switch from Geralt to Ciri because their fighting styles are different, but that's just because I don't have as much practice playing as her.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Taear posted:

MM6 is definitely awful and I couldn't quite finish it (the demons were too hard) but I really enjoyed it and I wish that someone would come along and make another game like it. I'm not interested in the turn based MMX.

I never really felt confused though, it's not that confusing. It always guides you to where you need to go even if you're not ready for it yet.

I was like 10 and really bad at video games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My strongest memories of Swords of Xeen are stumbling my way into a globin encampment and having to fight over a hundred of the bastards. Didn't know the game was going to pull that.

Also the generic innkeeper who was drawn and voiced delighfully sleazy when he said "hello" in a drawn out lispy way.

Could go further back and talk about the SSI gold box games but on reflection while they did combat very well the rest we can probably leave buried.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

ilitarist posted:

Witcher 3 combat is repetetive. You slash and roll on level 1, you do the same on level 80, only now your spells (and you cast exactly the same spells) have some additional effects. The only playstyle change happens early when you get your first potions and can experiment, but I found that nothing came close in effectiveness to a potion you make from first boss, that ghost lady. It gives you vampirism and makes combat trivial.

With DA2 (not DAI) you can at least set combat to Nightmare and get an interesting challenge. It won't turn enemies into bullet sponges like Witcher 3 (though Witcher 3 has one good difficulty change: regeneration is turned off on Hard) but adds resistances or enhances enemy stats requiring you to use some inventive tactics and watch your equipment. With Witcher 3 you can remove the whole equipment system and no one will notice cause you just recycle equipment to get the one with your level put on it. Same with skills, you barely notice their effect.

So it's sad to hear people think that combat is a filler in an RPG. More often than not it really is a filler with some skinner box attached to it. Many RPG fans would be better off playing visual novels or Telltale games for the same goodness but without the filler. And thus people don't see the beautry of something like Pillars of Eternity or even Dragon Age 2 which do go out of their way to make an interesting combat system.

Log off bruh

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like swordplay

That explains why you like TW3 combat. Other games provide better for people who don't. I don't think there's really any mystery here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The controls in TW3 feel "floaty" in the way that I guess most people mean when they use that term, like Geralt isn't actually connected to the game world and is just pirouhetting around in space. The combat in that game never felt right to me and it's kind of a big deal when they expect you to spend 100 hours doing it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shugojin posted:

I was like 10 and really bad at video games.

I mean I was only 13. Maybe if you're not used to the idea of "This is too hard, I need to go away and level up".
Which I know isn't really a thing in a lot of modern games tbh, I guess a lot of people didn't like it either.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
the best mod for the Witcher 3 is the one that replaces all combat with games of Gwent.

mostly because having a bunch of wolves run up to you and challenging you to a card game is hilarious.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

the best mod for the Witcher 3 is the one that replaces all combat with games of Gwent.

mostly because having a bunch of wolves run up to you and challenging you to a card game is hilarious.

Ah, the yogi oh mod

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yeah, I'm a huge DA2 fan(imo it's the best Bioware game I've played)

But the combat is only good because it's usually over quickly.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Taear posted:

I mean I was only 13. Maybe if you're not used to the idea of "This is too hard, I need to go away and level up".
Which I know isn't really a thing in a lot of modern games tbh, I guess a lot of people didn't like it either.

Obviously it's been a long time but I'm pretty sure I was lovely at the mechanics, there's a lot of trap things like bringing a knight or something so you can be high level but still suck.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nasgate posted:

It woulda been a lot better if they gave you something to fight other than teleporting sacks of HP.

Bioware sucks at encounter design almost as a rule, but DA2 is undoubtedly their low point in that category.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Nasgate posted:

is... is it the only bioware game you've played?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Skippy McPants posted:

It woulda been a lot better if they gave you something to fight other than teleporting sacks of HP.

Bioware sucks at encounter design almost as a rule, but DA2 is undoubtedly their low point in that category.

Nasgate posted:

The combat is quick on Normal difficulty because by that point BioWare realized that many people don't care about combat and play mostly for the story. That visible happened between Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2, or between Dragon Age Origins and 2. Many people were confused by ME1 throwing a lot of skills and items at them and so ME2 has them segregated. And you might think it's a simpler game - until you crank up the difficulty and discover that you have to survive you need to use combined attack all the time and different types of enemies require a completely different approach.

A similar transformation happened to DA2. Many people complained about DAO combat being a taxing affair even on the lowest difficulty. And there is a lot of combat. So in DA2 they made normal difficulty not just lower enemy HP but turned off a lot of features. No friendly fire, no enemy regeneration. Party members have their own armor, their AI configuration is much more robust. If you don't want to get deep into combat you get a slasher with quick fights. But turn up difficulty to Nightmare and suddenly you're in a hardcore dungeon crawler. A lot of enemies get resistances and immunities forcing you to find a new approach to each of them. Friendly fire is on so you have to be careful with each spell you cast. Enemies steal your potions. Enemies regenerate health so a lot of simpler tactics don't work. Fights with different number of waves require different approach, you have to think about keeping a spare ability or potion or going all the way throwing everything you have at the enemy.

Naturally, no one noticed and council of edgy cool guys has decided that DA2 is poo poo and therefore you can't say anything about it except it being lovely. But it probably had the best combat in BioWare. By the time of Inquisition they gave up, I think. It has your usual enemy damage multiplier for enemies and that's pretty much it, no tactical thinking required. They also filled the game with randomized trash fights. Eh.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

is... is it the only bioware game you've played?

Nope. It has an enjoyable and interesting story, a group of characters that work as a whole, the lovely bioware combat is brief, the mc is fun to play as. But most importantly, what no other Bioware game does afaik: it is the perfect length for the story and side stories to play out.

ME2 comes close, but is extremely padded out by the illusive man (or w/e he's called) slowly jerking himself off to the smell of his own farts.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Naturally, no one noticed and council of edgy cool guys has decided that DA2 is poo poo and therefore you can't say anything about it except it being lovely. But it probably had the best combat in BioWare. By the time of Inquisition they gave up, I think. It has your usual enemy damage multiplier for enemies and that's pretty much it, no tactical thinking required. They also filled the game with randomized trash fights. Eh.
do not despair, fellow da2 liker. there are those who share your heretical opinions. they (or i anyway) are just mostly too lazy to rehash the same discussion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Do not worry my children, ye faithful, one day DA2 will be hailed as game of the decade.

Blessed be the sacred :bioware:

*dons hooded robe, starts chanting*

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I genuinely can't fathom the idea of someone thinking that DA2's combat is worthy of praise, but then again, I had to play it on console at first where you had to hit the button every single time just to do your basic attack until they eventually patched in an option for auto-attacking... so I might be pretty biased against it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragon Age 2 is loving awesome and most of the hate has died down in every other forum I frequent except this one.

I would not call it the best BW game, though. That title will always belong to Mass Effect 2 probably. That game is the embodiment of BW's best qualities while minimizing their worst. Its only real flaw is the romance options. ME was always lovely about those for some reason.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dragon Age 2 is a game that deserved more love from the devs. Waves of combat and the samey locations suck rear end, but the game's storyline and characters are the best in the series. Hawke vs the Arishok is one of the best storylines Bioware had ever written. It has a fully fleshed out villain with actual motivations and is someone we genuinely don't want to fight unless it comes down to it. I actually believe the Arishok is better written than Saravok, Irenicus, and Saren. The last third of the game has issues, but I enjoyed the mage vs templar war. The cracks were showing in DA: Origins and this game just follows up on the logical conclusion of that. I even liked Anders and the 911 chantry moment. The first time I played it I really didn't expect him to go that far and I wanted to empathize with the character but he forced my hand and I had to kill him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

Dragon Age 2 is loving awesome and most of the hate has died down in every other forum I frequent except this one.

I would not call it the best BW game, though. That title will always belong to Mass Effect 2 probably. That game is the embodiment of BW's best qualities while minimizing their worst. Its only real flaw is the romance options. ME was always lovely about those for some reason.

Mass Effect 2 is a great game but it's not Bioware's best. That's Baldur's Gate 2 and it's not even close.

That said I do enjoy DA2 despite its flaws.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The most entertaining part of Dragon Age 2 is the endless whining about Dragon Age 2.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Baldur's Gate 2 is a great game but it's not Bioware's best. That's Mass Effect 2 and it's not even close. 

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Baldur's Gate 2 is a great game but it's not Bioware's best. That's Mass Effect 2 and it's not even close. 

Agreed. BG2 and KotOR are both outstanding games, but ME2 is the best of Bioware's output.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 13, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I still have a weakness for the original KOTOR. Yeah Taris dragged on too long, but the twist was genuinely surprising at the time, it had a good cast of companions, and it was one of the very few Star Wars games I've ever enjoyed for the story. Also, Bioware's first gay character and same-sex romance for a PC even if they had to axe almost all of it and drat near lost the character thanks to LucasArts.

Just a shame that Bioware kept reiterating KOTOR's characters and story elements so much.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

Also, Bioware's first gay character and same-sex romance for a PC even if they had to axe almost all of it and drat near lost the character thanks to LucasArts.

Huh?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

For a very long time (still?) Lucas Arts official position was that gay people didn't exist in the Star Wars universe so when Bioware tried to put a non-straight character in KotOR they were forced to cut a bunch of stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

For a very long time (still?) Lucas Arts official position was that gay people didn't exist in the Star Wars universe so when Bioware tried to put a non-straight character in KotOR they were forced to cut a bunch of stuff.

Yep. Juhani almost didn't make it into the game at all, and most of her romance arc was cut as it is.

It's not LucasArts' position anymore, the TOR debacle about that stuff is different.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

Dragon Age 2 is a game that deserved more love from the devs. Waves of combat and the samey locations suck rear end, but the game's storyline and characters are the best in the series. Hawke vs the Arishok is one of the best storylines Bioware had ever written. It has a fully fleshed out villain with actual motivations and is someone we genuinely don't want to fight unless it comes down to it. I actually believe the Arishok is better written than Saravok, Irenicus, and Saren.

The sad part is they've dropped the ball here by making the main villain a piece of red rock. Yes, it was a catalyst for all the hatred and deep problems in the city, and it didn't affect actions of Anders and Archmage, but still - instead of fantasy political drama we got a story about how magical rock drugs are bad.

DAO did something similar with Loghain being a nuanced villain you deal with before slaying an evil lizard commanding an army of orcs. Mass Effect 1 bigger villain was enigmatic cosmic horror. Jade Empire and KotOR had a developed villain that you could out-villan. But with DA2 it's as if devs had feared people wouldn't like a game where you can't say who's the baddie. Even more so in Inquisition: I expected a war between Templar and Mages to pose a lot of questions but instead of interesting story we got Oblivion with a boring villain from DA2 DLC nobody played.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I still say that the Arishok was the best villain in the franchise. All he wanted was to get out of Kirkwall, but the endless fanatics pissed him off to the point where he wanted to burn it down and fixe the city by force. To related to him so much by that point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There are some duds, but on the whole, villains are something Bioware really has a knack for. I think every game up until Anthem has at least one really good one.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Mass Effect 2 is considered the best BioWare game by many but it doesn't really have a villain. You have raid boss who pretends he has BDSM relations with Shepard but that's about it. ME3 infuriated people when it decided that it has to put a face on the Reaper menace, and The Invisible Man becomes an irrational pathetic shadow of himself when he's promoted to villain status. Inquisition switches between having no villain at all and Immortal Fantasy Hitler - by the way it's a shame you get no glimpse at all at the nature of magic and ancient Tevinter through Corypheus.

I'd argue that the opposite is true: BioWare games thrive on companions and support cast and it doesn't even matter much what are they fighting again. It's a TV show approach, and their games are similar to Joss Whedon writing anyway. Nobody remembers who the hell were those aliens in Avengers and Loki is a shady character but not an evil one. Players would be happy to clear dungeons with Wrex, Garrus, Morrigan and whoever else even if there's not much central plot around it. DA2 has several not-quite villains who are more of tragic heroes. Arishok is great and Archmage/Meredith conflict would be interesting too, but sadly Meredith is introduced very late and instead of being realistic power-hungry despot she's possessed by some red evil stuff.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 13, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ilitarist posted:

Mass Effect 2 is considered the best BioWare game by many but it doesn't really have a villain. You have raid boss who pretends he has BDSM relations with Shepard but that's about it. ME3 infuriated people when it decided that it has to put a face on the Reaper menace, and The Invisible Man becomes an irrational pathetic shadow of himself when he's promoted to villain status. Inquisition switches between having no villain at all and Immortal Fantasy Hitler - by the way it's a shame you get no glimpse at all at the nature of magic and ancient Tevinter through Corypheus.

Baldurs Gate 2 is the best bioware game. I thought that was unquestioned, who thinks otherwise?
Unless you consider modern bioware to be a different entity than the original one (which makes sense)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BG2, ME2, and KotOR are all very defensible favorites depending on one's preference.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Now I feel bad after dropping BG2 because I died shortly after prologue and didn't want to go through the intro again..

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's a popular mod that skips the intro dungeon.

But either way, don't feel too bad; there's plenty of great games out there.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It was around the time it launched, but now I have a huge backlog of good to great games and not much free time.. I'm not sure I can get invested in isometric RPG too - I got spoiled by first/third person stuff too much. I think I miss seeing NPC faces the most when I talk to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Skippy McPants posted:

There are some duds, but on the whole, villains are something Bioware really has a knack for. I think every game up until Anthem has at least one really good one.

Andromeda sure as gently caress didn't, but I can understand why you'd forget about that game.