Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ahh, I finished DGS. Bittersweet. It was good but now the real wait begins.

Regardless, I loved every single thing about it besides the unresolved plot threads. What an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I like how Young Edgeworth and Franziska will argue and debate over the pettiest things like whether or not a bunch of crumbs came from a swiss roll sold in a vending machine.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat DGS today as well and was surprised to find that the complaints of it ending too unresolved were really overblown. There's a bit of setup for the next game but for the most part all the actual mysteries in the cases are resolved by the end. In the end I'm glad I didn't wait for them to finish the other one.

But here's hoping it's not TOO long till we get 2 all the same.

E: Now that I've played it I've gone back through the (very small handful of ) spoilered posts talking about it, so forgive me for quoting this one from a week and a half ago:

Meallan posted:

DGS Case 2 spoilers : Well this case was so drat sad.

Absolutely loved the new investigation mechanic with Sherlock. Might be my favourite in the series so far.

Is there any consensus on whatever is Sherlock taking the piss with Ryu with his bad conclusions? Hes super observant anyway though, but at the end he seemed to get his poo poo all together and was waiting for Ryu to get there too.

As with most of Sherlock's antics in this game, it's hard to get a firm read on him. My initial impression in the one about the Speckled Band was that he was just jumping to conclusions and getting it wrong. However in the later cases my opinion of what he's up to has turned around. I'm pretty sure he goes as out there as possible specifically to confuse and distract the people involved. He gets reactions out of him that Naruhodou then uses to figure out what they're really hiding. Sherlock then joins in immediately so I'm pretty sure he just sees this as a way to work together with someone else he respects to ferret the truth out of unwilling subjects.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 10, 2019

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
That's also the feeling I got, regarding Sherlock:
it could, I guess, just not be that deep, but it really looks deliberate. He can always expand on Ryu's deductions, even when Ryu doesn't expand on his meaning, which leads one to think that he has seen pretty much everything that Ryu also notices. He's also a joker, that much is established, and he solves other cases just fine without Ryu's help.

Also on the 4th case, he was late to the trial (well, he got there when it was finishing up), and yet talked like he knew exactly what happened throughout, which made me suspect he had already a pretty good idea of what had happened.

Was mostly asking around to see if this is a plot point that is ever established, but that's my read on him.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Meallan posted:

they still lack the emotional depth that the most iconic cases of the trilogy had

I mostly agree with this except Gina is probably the client I've most really wanted to see go free and have a happy resolution in a long time

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I also like that in DGS, there's usually very good reason why the defendant is suspected. At the start of nearly all trials (but especially ep 3 and ep 5) there's overwhelming evidence that the defendant did it.

It's certainly no... "Oh, we arrested Will Powers because there's a photo of the Steel Samurai going to the studio and who else could it be?"

That said I sort of feel like the OG trilogy was fairer in terms of allowing the player to solve the crime way before you're supposed to. From what I recall you could generally have a pretty good idea of what happened the moment you got to the start of trial in the last day. But here you get a LOT of information from witness statement and presses.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Meallan posted:

That said I sort of feel like the OG trilogy was fairer in terms of allowing the player to solve the crime way before you're supposed to. From what I recall you could generally have a pretty good idea of what happened the moment you got to the start of trial in the last day. But here you get a LOT of information from witness statement and presses.
I think that's a lot better and more interesting than trying the whole court day to prove what your already know with lacking evidence.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I think that's a lot better and more interesting than trying the whole court day to prove what your already know with lacking evidence.

don't forget the fun "there's like 3 different ways to prove this but what will the game recognize"

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah, that's definitely a problem. But I always thought it was sort of separate of the cases being a fair whodunit. I think the DanganRonpas, if memory serves, found a good equilibrium where you can see and get how the crime was done in general, and foreshadow the culprit to a certain extent, but to connect all the clues you have you need to drag it out of your classmates in trial.

But now that you guys mention it, yeah, DGS so far hasn't had any moment for me where you know what needs to be presented but they're blocking you from doing it for some stupid reason. It's a lot more precisely tailored for the player to find out about things at the time the game wants you to, and that can be good. But I wish there were other ways to go about it than a slow drop feed of absolutely vital clues/evidence during the trials. But this has been something that has happened to some extent throughout the whole series, yes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Most Dangan Ronpa cases are extremely fair - you get basically all the evidence up front, with a big flashing 'this clue is important' noticed attached to each one. It's neat but it means some of the cases end up too obvious.

Ace Attorney by comparison tends to hold back evidence until you progress past prelininary points.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand AA makes the culprit almost immediately obvious if only in a Columbo guest star sort of way sometimes, whereas DR keeps you guessing a bit more.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

On the other hand AA makes the culprit almost immediately obvious if only in a Columbo guest star sort of way sometimes, whereas DR keeps you guessing a bit more.

The nice advantage that comes from explicitly introducing characters to kill off as opposed to never allowing characters to progress meaningfully

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

After like 8 years of not playing AA3 I revisited it this week and jee-bus I do not even remotely recall how half the people in this game are dudes who think with their dicks and I feel like I remember Godot being a chauvinist pig but he's even worse than I remember, I genuinely feel bad for Mia

I feel like I like it less on my replay in 2019 now even if it still has some real strong emotional beats but I'm ok if I never have to talk to Larry again

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Re: AA3, I wish the series wasn't so adamant about not bringing back anyone but the main characters. I want Iris to get out of jail and hook up with Phoenix again, drat it :(

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

Re: AA3, I wish the series wasn't so adamant about not bringing back anyone but the main characters. I want Iris to get out of jail and hook up with Phoenix again, drat it :(

While I want that too, they do the general case all the time. Just in AA3 they brought back Adrian Andrews, Maggey Byrde and Grossberg, sort of. It's just a problem with characters like Iris whose status would itself be a major spoiler for a previous games. Which is why I'm sure we won't see (SoJ spoilers)Armie again either.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

NRVNQSR posted:

Which is why I'm sure we won't see (SoJ spoilers)Armie again either.

Ehhh, that reveal's not exactly plot critical, unlike Iris being Dahlia's twin, which is relevant to a sizable chunk of the game. Still doubt we'll see her again though, which sucks

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Merilan posted:

After like 8 years of not playing AA3 I revisited it this week and jee-bus I do not even remotely recall how half the people in this game are dudes who think with their dicks and I feel like I remember Godot being a chauvinist pig but he's even worse than I remember, I genuinely feel bad for Mia

I feel like I like it less on my replay in 2019 now even if it still has some real strong emotional beats but I'm ok if I never have to talk to Larry again

When I replayed it I was actually surprised it wasn't exponentially worse, considering the times. In this respect, DGS is being a lot better. Since the sexism is purposeful, and makes it all the better to watch Susato tear people a new one.
So far only ep 4 has had some weird jokes, but the rest of the game has been pretty solid imo. I recommend.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Meallan posted:

When I replayed it I was actually surprised it wasn't exponentially worse, considering the times. In this respect, DGS is being a lot better. Since the sexism is purposeful, and makes it all the better to watch Susato tear people a new one.
So far only ep 4 has had some weird jokes, but the rest of the game has been pretty solid imo. I recommend.

It sounds like DGS is a real hit in the thread so I'm gonna have to see if I can't somehow play it

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Merilan posted:

It sounds like DGS is a real hit in the thread so I'm gonna have to see if I can't somehow play it

Failing that, there are some commentary-free walkthroughs of the translated game already on Youtube.

I'm hoping the PC port of the OG trilogy is just the start, and that we get re-releases of the other games. It'd give them an excuse to localize AAI2 and DGS as well.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I really can't get on with SoJ. I've been working at it off and on since it came out and still haven't finished it. Every other game I've finished in days. Other people seem to like it, is it worth finishing? I almost can't remember where I got up to, somewhere in the last case and Phoenix is prosecuting, which might even be the case before. I'm not sure. I'm not that far from the end I think but I just hate it so much. I hated every case except Apollo's magic show case and even that was a stretch. I hate Kurain, I hate the lazy name puns, I hate the prosecutor, I don't even like Maya that much any more. Rayfa is ok.

I poo poo on Phoenix a lot these days because I want Apollo to be allowed to be the protagonist and it seems like he might get the chance in this last case but I still can't get over how much I disliked almost every case in this game. It's easily my least favourite.

My theory is that every main series game with Justice in the title is bottom of the list, and they alternate, so I figure AA7 will be good, if it ever happens.

(i like AJ a lot but recognise its many, many flaws, JFA has its great moments but is still quite bad, and SoJ is extremely bottom of the pile)

I'm replaying Dual Destinies rn and having a lot more fun. I'd forgotten almost everything about the second day of case 2. This yokai poo poo is ridiculous(ly fun).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Answering your question "is it worth finishing" is impossible when you hate what is to me easily in the top 3 games in the series. If you hate it, then no it probably isn't worth finishing. But I can't sympathize with hating it so idk

Last case is certainly Apollo's greatest moment in the entire series.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Regy Rusty posted:

Last case is certainly Apollo's greatest moment in the entire series.

That's almost all you needed to say. Love Apollo to bits but I put the game down for months when it turned out that Dhurke had raised him and the prosecutor, with the photo of them all together but if that pays off in good ways and he gets to be cool for once I'm pretty down. I might finish DD case 2 and then try to finish SoJ while I'm in the mood for lawyerin'.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah Apollo gets to be very cool in the last case and you only even play as Phoenix for a short investigation sequence in the second half. Apollo handles all the trial stuff.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I also really need to play SoJ. I was... okay? on DD but I don't think it hit it off with me quite as hard as some of the other games. I think the most stark thing about it is how it (understandably) needs to roll back so much of what happened in AJ, but some of the details in AJ like Edgeworth and Maya and co. being completely absent from Phoenix's life in the entire timeskip is odd anyway.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
That last case in SoJ is Apollo's, so if you want to finally see Apollo get to close a case that's important to him, stick with it.

I'm the opposite to you, I really didn't like DD at all. With exception to Blackquill, I didn't like anything that game did or any of the characters or story. They really did Apollo bad in that last case too, with who was killed and how it meant to him, he should have been in charge for that case, not Phoenix.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

busysignal posted:

That last case in SoJ is Apollo's, so if you want to finally see Apollo get to close a case that's important to him, stick with it.

Theoretically, 6-2 should be incredibly important to Apollo, but, y'know :v:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

busysignal posted:

I'm the opposite to you, I really didn't like DD at all. With exception to Blackquill, I didn't like anything that game did or any of the characters or story. They really did Apollo bad in that last case too, with who was killed and how it meant to him, he should have been in charge for that case, not Phoenix.

No I feel you on that, I felt like DD was trying to cram too much into so little space that it feels like it had massive pacing issues. Also I feel like the way they retroactively added a dead character as important to Apollo was kinda weird and didn't work for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spirit of Justice is maybe a weaker game than Dual Destinies entirely off the back of their respective prosecutors, but 6-5 is much better than 5-4 and 5-5, imo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloody Pom posted:

phoenix isn't the kind of guy who would sleep around on edgeworth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spirit of Justice has weaker prosecutors and its new gimmick to trials is the worst thing in the series since "press every statement, then press again because itll be different somehow now". I cannot stress how much I did not like the seance and I just pulled up a guide for all of them to power through it.

That said though its final case rules because its genuine character development that I was slightly surprised about and would be happy to explore in a future spinoff

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It also has more magicians being the worst people.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every trial in AA7 is just going to be magicians being the biggest sacks of poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SoJ has 3 good magicians and 1 terrible magician. So I think it presents magicians as pretty alright for the most part.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And the one terrible magician is also a really sloppy retcon, so he's even MORE terrible.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He’s really good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

And the one terrible magician is also a really sloppy retcon, so he's even MORE terrible.

He’s the resolution AJ should’ve had

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The fact that it's not in AJ is what makes it sloppy, yeah

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I really should play SoJ now, I'm sad I passed my 3DS down without checking that off my list

I might just find a longplay for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wonder when we'll get AA7; IIRC Capcom's finance thing for investors mentioned no new major games on what's left of the fiscal year, so any new AA would be until after March 2020 or something.