Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I'm not a very experienced mechanical engineer. But in my jobs so far I've never encountered planned obsolescence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The use of plastic vs solid metal is probably a sizeable factor in poo poo breaking faster nowadays and just more complicated machines having more points to break out.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

ChaseSP posted:

The use of plastic vs solid metal is probably a sizeable factor in poo poo breaking faster nowadays and just more complicated machines having more points to break out.

Where is evidence 'poo poo breaks faster" today?

AlexanderCA posted:

I'm not a very experienced mechanical engineer. But in my jobs so far I've never encountered planned obsolescence.

I would say there is even much "unplanned obsolescence" todays. Remember how Apple got mad people were using iPhone too long, and made software update that intentionally slow older phone unless you replace phone or official Apple replacement battery was purchase? The supposed reason was "your battery is too old so we have to protect it", yet most users had battery that work fine at time.

They are company known for making things "fashion obsolete" quickly but they made devices last too long for their accountant's likes merely by using standard components which simple too reliable. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...hone/329907002/

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Accountants had very little to do with such decisions, it's entirely upper management. </petpeeve>

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

AlexanderCA posted:

Nissan CVT

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no this is just an old men debating pointless generalizations thing

some stuff is made worse 'these days', some stuff is better, mostly just a fuckton more stuff is made so you can paint your narrative to any of it

its dumb its like arguing over what you see in a cloud

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 10, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I’d say major appliances are worse, most automobiles are better and electronics are way better.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just wait till you find out that in Australia, by law, appliances have a warranty that lasts as long as a reasonable person thinks they should.

Its reasonable to think that you will get 10-15 years out of a major whitegood like a fridge, so thats what you get.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Who here have even need to replace the LED lightbulb, compare to old incandescent style that also used 7 times the energy?
Me. Repeatedly, at $25/pop and they lasted 18 months on the outside. The LED was fine, the 110AC circuit was always what crapped out. Eventually they got better and one day I replaced the last early one and haven't touched any of them since. Call it an early adopter tax. Now I'm just shaking my cane that the world settled on piss-yellow imitations of incandescent as "white" and buying anything less ugly is specialty.

You can still find poo poo made to last, but it's in places where 50+ year lifespan is expected. Big-ship engines are one of them, when well maintained they last forever because the cost of replacing them is scrapping the entire multi-hundred million dollar freighter.

Good furniture from craftsmen now is as good or better than what you could buy 100 years ago. There may have been a decline for a few decades as the idea of mass-produced goods was pushed hard, but pride in something well done has had quite a renaissance lately. It's just not available at walmart.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Harik posted:

Me. Repeatedly, at $25/pop and they lasted 18 months on the outside. The LED was fine, the 110AC circuit was always what crapped out. Eventually they got better and one day I replaced the last early one and haven't touched any of them since. Call it an early adopter tax. Now I'm just shaking my cane that the world settled on piss-yellow imitations of incandescent as "white" and buying anything less ugly is specialty.

You can still find poo poo made to last, but it's in places where 50+ year lifespan is expected. Big-ship engines are one of them, when well maintained they last forever because the cost of replacing them is scrapping the entire multi-hundred million dollar freighter.

Good furniture from craftsmen now is as good or better than what you could buy 100 years ago. There may have been a decline for a few decades as the idea of mass-produced goods was pushed hard, but pride in something well done has had quite a renaissance lately. It's just not available at walmart.

Crafted Steel Bicycles.

I see people cycling on the same Peugeots, Fujis etc. that I was assembling at a bike shop when I was in High School, in the early 1970's.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGameVet posted:

Crafted Steel Bicycles.

I see people cycling on the same Peugeots, Fujis etc. that I was assembling at a bike shop when I was in High School, in the early 1970's.

Man, I want a steel bike for a commuter.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phanatic posted:

I've never had a fridge that only lasted five years. Are you not cleaning the condenser coils or something?

Anybody watching Chernobyl on HBO? First episode was some really good TV.

iirc side-by-side fridges (e.g. freezer next to refrigerator) have on average a much shorter life than literally any other kind, and there was a decade or so where they were super trendy with boomers despite being cheap pieces of poo poo.

these days it's still the freezer-on-top that is the king of affordability, efficiency, and reliability and french doors are the popular thing but with a good reliability record, meanwhile side-by-side fridges still exist and are made as poorly as ever and it's the same set of boomers who keep buying them over and over

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Harik posted:

Me. Repeatedly, at $25/pop and they lasted 18 months on the outside. The LED was fine, the 110AC circuit was always what crapped out.
This. Most cheap LED bulbs still come with horrible drivers. And bottom bin emitters.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

iirc side-by-side fridges (e.g. freezer next to refrigerator) have on average a much shorter life than literally any other kind, and there was a decade or so where they were super trendy with boomers despite being cheap pieces of poo poo.

these days it's still the freezer-on-top that is the king of affordability, efficiency, and reliability and french doors are the popular thing but with a good reliability record, meanwhile side-by-side fridges still exist and are made as poorly as ever and it's the same set of boomers who keep buying them over and over

What makes side-by-side bad? Is there some inherent thing about that design that causes problems, or is it just that they're made cheaply as some trendy item?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taffer posted:

What makes side-by-side bad? Is there some inherent thing about that design that causes problems, or is it just that they're made cheaply as some trendy item?

They're made cheaply as a trendy item for people trying to capture that feeling of growing up in the 1970s, when side-by-sides first became popular. This also captures people who see them as being trendier than freezer-tops but who don't want to shell out for a french door model

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

evil_bunnY posted:

This. Most cheap LED bulbs still come with horrible drivers. And bottom bin emitters.
I have no idea why and defer to you/others on that but I've had pretty lovely luck even with expensive LED bulbs. The ones that didn't fail almost immediately seem to be doing fine, but yeah when I bought them 6 years ago and then a bunch more 3 years ago about ~20% died real fast.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

QuarkJets posted:

They're made cheaply as a trendy item for people trying to capture that feeling of growing up in the 1970s, when side-by-sides first became popular. This also captures people who see them as being trendier than freezer-tops but who don't want to shell out for a french door model

Oh god can you convince my wife of this? she is insisting on a side by side model for our next fridge, which will be soon as our current one is dying of old age (~15 years), and is also a side by side.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Dipshit posted:

There's several builders out there. My folder (Brompton) is steel as is my recumbent (Bacchetta Giro 26).

The best way to get vintage stuff is at garage and estate sales. Lots of bikes that haven't been ridden in decades.

I use the LA subway system and I see classic steel bikes on almost every trip.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't the steel stuff incredibly heavy and thus rather energy-inefficient for the human powering it?

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't the steel stuff incredibly heavy and thus rather energy-inefficient for the human powering it?

The better steels can be made much thinner.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But my cast iron bike has 5 years of seasoning built up over it :(

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

So a fine steel bike weighs in at 18lbs. A carbon-fiber bike can be 14lbs (if you spend a few $1k). A 'common' steel bike (something that sold for $200 in 1975) may weigh in at 24lbs.

Does it matter? Maybe if you're a 150lbs Cat-1 racer. Less if you're a 62 year old 235lbs bike commuter :-)

Oh, and steel is recyclable. And IMHO feels better.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh god can you convince my wife of this? she is insisting on a side by side model for our next fridge, which will be soon as our current one is dying of old age (~15 years), and is also a side by side.

I probably can't

But some people will say "side-by-side" when they see a french door refrigerator, and french doors are pretty great.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

QuarkJets posted:

I probably can't

But some people will say "side-by-side" when they see a french door refrigerator, and french doors are pretty great.

I am trying to push for a basic french door style, and she's not having any of it. For some reason the idea of pulling the freezer out via a drawer is a no go for her.

I really just want the large shelf space offered by the french door style, but the added $1K to the cost compared to the side by side is another big reason we likely won't get it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I am trying to push for a basic french door style, and she's not having any of it. For some reason the idea of pulling the freezer out via a drawer is a no go for her.

I really just want the large shelf space offered by the french door style, but the added $1K to the cost compared to the side by side is another big reason we likely won't get it.

I am guessing this may not work for you, but I convinced my wife to go with a French door due to me being tall. It puts all the more commonly used refrigerator items at eye level, so things were less likely to be hiding at the bottom back until they become unspeakable horrors. It’s so very nice to not have to get down on the floor to find stuff at the back bottom of the fridge.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah french doors are pretty optimal for access and their freezer compartment can have all of the advantages of a chest freezer.

If price is an issue there's not much you can do about that, though. Would she go for a freezer-top? If she basically wants the cheapest-possible fridge with a water/ice dispenser in the door then you're probably stuck getting a side-by-side, cause that's the niche they fill.

I lived in a series of apartments and houses that had side-by-sides and they were universally mediocre to bad refrigerators. I have a french door fridge now and it's great, but I'd be pretty happy with a freezer-top.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

So a fine steel bike weighs in at 18lbs. A carbon-fiber bike can be 14lbs (if you spend a few $1k). A 'common' steel bike (something that sold for $200 in 1975) may weigh in at 24lbs.

Does it matter? Maybe if you're a 150lbs Cat-1 racer. Less if you're a 62 year old 235lbs bike commuter :-)

Oh, and steel is recyclable. And IMHO feels better.
ok but what about aluminum? Surely that’s the relevant comparison no?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, I've been rocking the same 1980's freezer on the top fridge on the bottom classic all my life.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Dipshit posted:

I've been commuting on a steel touring bike for ten years. It's a big part of how I can climb 450' of ladder in eight minutes with no breaks, while wearing 45lbs of equipment.

First thing I did was go straight to storage and reassemble it today. It's been seven months, gonna roll a cool 75 tomorrow.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bawfuls posted:

ok but what about aluminum? Surely that’s the relevant comparison no?

Nothing wrong with it. I'm just too big for the weight limits on the aluminum folders.

But the classic steel bikes do have a nice feel.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why not get a little of everything?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Harik posted:

Big-ship engines are one of them, when well maintained they last forever because the cost of replacing them is scrapping the entire multi-hundred million dollar freighter.

The hulls tend to corrode first, at least in salt water. In freshwater which is basically only the lakes they last forever and there is the occasional plant replacement or conversion to ITB. Oldest one I've done surveys on was 1923 build. I have co-worker who has surveyed 1896 builds. Ocean going most vessels you are looking at like 20-25 years for lifespan. Some push 30-35 maybe 40 if well maintained. The saltwater even with a good impressed current system just eats up hulls eventually.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why not get a little of everything?

There seems to be a minimal amount of freezer space in this one. Hard pass.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

The hulls tend to corrode first, at least in salt water. In freshwater which is basically only the lakes they last forever and there is the occasional plant replacement or conversion to ITB. Oldest one I've done surveys on was 1923 build. I have co-worker who has surveyed 1896 builds. Ocean going most vessels you are looking at like 20-25 years for lifespan. Some push 30-35 maybe 40 if well maintained. The saltwater even with a good impressed current system just eats up hulls eventually.

You reminded me of the US Navy ships that would literally corrode from the inside out due to the horrible design that actively caused corrosion via different metals being welded to each other exposed to sea water.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ChaseSP posted:

You reminded me of the US Navy ships that would literally corrode from the inside out due to the horrible design that actively caused corrosion via different metals being welded to each other exposed to sea water.

The prototype LCS corroded dangerously in like a year though, any normal container ship had better anti corrosion measures.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Is it really any surprise that the same organization that made the plane that can't fly in rain also made a warship that dissolves in sea water?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Galvanic corrosion is a hell of a thing. They try to seperate the different metals (usually steel and aluminum ) with various types of barriers but sometimes they gently caress it up cause ships are hard to build.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It’s a well-understood problem and the standard way to prevent it is with cathodoc protection, where you bond in a chunk of metal with a higher electrochemical potential that will act as the anode in a battery and preferentially corrode. This has been well-understood and easily-incorporated for well over 100 years.

The LCS designers just, whoops, forgot about it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

The LCS designers just, whoops, forgot about it.
Didn't the yard specifically warn against it and the guv' went all "gotta CUT CUT CUT"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

evil_bunnY posted:

Didn't the yard specifically warn against it and the guv' went all "gotta CUT CUT CUT"?

I've heard that but haven't actually seen evidence of it. It'd be really weird for Congress to get down so far into the weeds as to be specifying individual and very low-level ship subsystems. There was a general high-level decision to basically build the ships to civilian, not military, construction standards (to such an extent that at one point the lead ship wasn't going to be shock-tested out of fear of breakage), and it's likely that that decision led to not having a cathodic protection system, but I don't believe that Congress ever looked at a list of stuff and said "What? 'Cathodic protection'? We don't need that gobbledygook," and crossed it off the list.

https://www.marinelink.com/news/improvements-littoral341595.aspx

quote:

“The General Dynamics and Austal USA approach to prevent corrosion on LCS 2 was based on commercial practices and included a coating system on the exposed metal, electrical insulation of dissimilar metals and cathodic protection via sacrificial zinc anodes in the water jet tunnels. This design proved to be less effective than intended due to multiple factors including improper electrical insulation during installation. To provide more comprehensive protection, an ICCP system and additional sacrificial protection design is being finalized and will be implemented on LCS 2 during its Post Shakedown Availability (PSA); has already been installed on LCS 4; and will be included on LCS 6 and follow as a baseline change prior to the start of construction.”

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 13, 2019