Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also I signed up for BR Live for a few months because I hate money, and also because of the Champions League, and I somehow missed the biggest draw of the service, which is the Belgian Pro League. Apparently they will also have the Swedish cup competition, I'm licking my lips.

I want to see them pick up even more mid tier domestic leagues nobody watches. ESPN+ already has a head start with the Swedish and Danish leagues, so BR needs to pick up the Polish and Croatian leagues or something to compete.

ESPN+ has the Indian league, which seems impossible to top. Even if there is a huge South Asian diaspora I don’t think a significant number of them care about Indian soccer. You’ve got to start picking up some obscure African of Central Asian domestic leagues to really be elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Motogp is actually the series to watch if you want to see obnoxious tiny interchangeable Spaniards repeatedly win everything in sight

The production though is top notch.

Also on that note, Croft isn't bad during practice. It's when things start mattering he gets insufferable.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Espn+ also has the Chinese super league which is worth watching to see bin men like Graziano Pellè look like loving Messi.

Does anyone carry the K-League? That’s unironically a good competitive league.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1126885860446748674

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

Espn+ also has the Chinese super league which is worth watching to see bin men like Graziano Pellè look like loving Messi.

Does anyone carry the K-League? That’s unironically a good competitive league.

I'm sorta fascinated by Asian football leagues because you don't hear much about them like you do EPL or the Spanish league, but drat if Japan and South Korea don't make good teams work for it. And both are top 40 teams!

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm sorta fascinated by Asian football leagues because you don't hear much about them like you do EPL or the Spanish league, but drat if Japan and South Korea don't make good teams work for it. And both are top 40 teams!

I believe DAZN has the J-League in the US, but they usually only show Vissel Kobe because Iniesta plays there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

psyer posted:

I believe DAZN has the J-League in the US, but they usually only show Vissel Kobe because Iniesta plays there.

DAZN has the entire J-League rights for all matches from J1 to J3 in Japan, but yeah peak bird-brain was pushing Vissel Kobe vs. Sagan Tosu really hard because Spain. It sucks, because neither team has big national fanbases in Japan (Kobe is owned by Rakuten hence getting the former Barca player the year after their sponsorship started) so it's honestly worse than any force-feeding you can think of with American teams.

(I still laugh so much about "Fernando Torres, striker for Sagan Tosu" because I have been to Saga Prefecture, friends, and even to a Sagan Tosu game or two, and it is not what people imagine when they talk about retiring in football to a year or two in Japan)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/1127356041404895232

this news is not OK, JIM!.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ah gently caress man thats horrible
Such a big part of me growing up was watching fights with my dad, and we'd always do his catchphrases. Poor guy
RIP

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That suuuucks

gently caress a cancer :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

psyer posted:

I checked and if they're advertising it, it's not on their website, which sucks because the J and K-leagues legitimately look cool.

Also the saddest package goes to Flosports' football site which has a great "FloFC" package consisting of DC United games, and the loving Finnish first division. a league which FIFA ranks behind Albania, North Macedonia and Moldovia's first divisions in strength.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I checked and if they're advertising it, it's not on their website, which sucks because the J and K-leagues legitimately look cool.

Also the saddest package goes to Flosports' football site which has a great "FloFC" package consisting of DC United games, and the loving Finnish first division. a league which FIFA ranks behind Albania, North Macedonia and Moldovia's first divisions in strength.

Finland's one of those countries where the idea of them having a national team barely computes, because their national sport identity is so winter sport based

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i'd legitimately love a streaming service with nothing but trash leagues like the Finnish league. like Flo or B/R or one of these other dumb streaming companies should buy the rights to all the lovely first divisions and target the service toward degenerate gamblers who want to place online bets on Romanian League 1 or something

b/r is already halfway there with noted trash league, the Scottish Premiership

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 13, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Out of curiosity I was looking into MLS broadcast stuff today, even though I’ll probably never get into it because it’s the soccer equivalent of D2 football (but hey, it still beats baseball in the summer) If I wanted to get really into my local team, the Fire, I either have to pay for ESPN+ or watch them in Spanish on Univision. It’s easier to watch any Big 6 English team with something a regular cable package (or the Vue in my case) than it is to watch a team that plays in the suburbs.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

Out of curiosity I was looking into MLS broadcast stuff today, even though I’ll probably never get into it because it’s the soccer equivalent of D2 football (but hey, it still beats baseball in the summer) If I wanted to get really into my local team, the Fire, I either have to pay for ESPN+ or watch them in Spanish on Univision. It’s easier to watch any Big 6 English team with something a regular cable package (or the Vue in my case) than it is to watch a team that plays in the suburbs.

you don't get NBC Sports Chicago?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

you don't get NBC Sports Chicago?

I do but tell me if I’m misinterpreting this:

quote:

On March 9, 2018, the Chicago Fire announced that ESPN had acquired the regional television rights to the team through 2020, and that their regionally-televised matches will stream exclusively on ESPN's upcoming subscription service ESPN+. The team's matches would be streamed online for free until the launch of ESPN+ on April 12, 2018. Behind Los Angeles FC, the Fire are the second MLS franchise to sell their regional television rights exclusively to an over-the-top content provider (with the former having signed with YouTube TV).[65] ESPN+ also holds the out-of-market streaming rights for regional MLS matches as part of its overall service.[66][67][68]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
e) misread

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

someone explain to me the point/appeal of Ryan Russilo? I dont get it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

someone explain to me the point/appeal of Ryan Russilo? I dont get it.

He can do pretty decent basketball analysis at times but he's way too bro-y and really really likes building up Twitter strawmen to knock down to make himself look smart.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

At least you’re not trying to follow LAFC, which has their local games exclusively on YouTube TV.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I do but tell me if I’m misinterpreting this:

nah you're right I was looking at one from a few years ago I guess.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Today's Highly Questionable was an all time episode with Mina Kimes.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

fox is doing their fall advertiser pitch today and this came up

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1128056993753645062

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Pac-12 games at 9am local time?

e: oh, it’s possible but mostly B10 and B12 I guess

Ace Jameson fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 13, 2019

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope LSU/Texas isn't on Fox, then, because there is no way that game works in Austin at 11AM in early September.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ace Jameson posted:

Pac-12 games at 9am local time?

e: oh, it’s possible but mostly B10 and B12 I guess

I’ve never seen a PAC-12 game kick off before noon. 12:30 was always the standard for non-TV games back in the dark ages. Even if you did that with a game at Colorado or Utah, it’s 10 am local, which, nah.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like Mandel said, it's at least in part acknowledging that the Pac-12 is likely never going to be the marquee game

In practice it's mostly gonna mean a lot more OSU/Mich/Penn State early kickoffs

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

Like Mandel said, it's at least in part acknowledging that the Pac-12 is likely never going to be the marquee game

Which is weird because it's sent some pretty significant talent, but I guess those dudes are the exception and there's typically a lack of depth?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which is weird because it's sent some pretty significant talent, but I guess those dudes are the exception and there's typically a lack of depth?

Football wise it's been the weakest of the major conferences most of the time recently, and they're falling way behind in TV revenue which could percipitate that. It's also the one where the home markets tend to care the least about football so they generally have weaker ratings.

If USC rebounds big time then I'm sure their later games will get a lot of push from the network but until then they're probably gonna get better ratings results out of pushing their Big Ten and Big XII games

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Football wise it's been the weakest of the major conferences most of the time recently, and they're falling way behind in TV revenue which could percipitate that. It's also the one where the home markets tend to care the least about football so they generally have weaker ratings.

If USC rebounds big time then I'm sure their later games will get a lot of push from the network but until then they're probably gonna get better ratings results out of pushing their Big Ten and Big XII games

I’m not sure I’d say “care the least,” but probably more fair-weather/casual in terms of intensity. Seattle and Portland both rode hard for UW and UO respectively in recent years, but that’s two cities and states that are smaller and not huge TV markets alone. Los Angeles had a pro football team during the Carrol years and were up for USC, but unlike [insert major school from eastern half of the US] there’s plenty to do other than be miserable at a mediocre team. USC and tOSU both would fill their stadiums if both teams have one loss, but only one would still be 90% full if both teams were 7-5.

The PAC-12 Network deal also kinda sucks and isn’t as available as it should be, and the games are on stupid late for the eastern half of the country.

So yeah, unless you have a PAC-12 team marauding to an undefeated record by week 10 or 11, the west coast is out of the conversation.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

In practice it's mostly gonna mean a lot more OSU/Mich/Penn State early kickoffs

Yea it’s basically gonna be a revolving door of those three and Texas/Oklahoma

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

harperdc posted:

I’m not sure I’d say “care the least,” but probably more fair-weather/casual in terms of intensity. Seattle and Portland both rode hard for UW and UO respectively in recent years, but that’s two cities and states that are smaller and not huge TV markets alone. Los Angeles had a pro football team during the Carrol years and were up for USC, but unlike [insert major school from eastern half of the US] there’s plenty to do other than be miserable at a mediocre team. USC and tOSU both would fill their stadiums if both teams have one loss, but only one would still be 90% full if both teams were 7-5.

The PAC-12 Network deal also kinda sucks and isn’t as available as it should be, and the games are on stupid late for the eastern half of the country.

So yeah, unless you have a PAC-12 team marauding to an undefeated record by week 10 or 11, the west coast is out of the conversation.

Yeah SC is a huge deal locally when they're good but it's pretty fair weather. I think they're also the one team in the conference with enough of a national brand to move the needle with more casual fans outside of the conference footprint. Otherwise the conference is really limited in that respect because the time zone thing makes it hard to watch a lot of the games if you're not on the west coast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

For what it's worth Gameday once in a blue moon have gotten Arizona to reschedule to a gross time that probably killed some fans with heat stroke.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1128278671356309505?s=21

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The overall quality of play in the pac12 just doesn’t feel very good right now. I watched so many games last year that were slogs. Colorado be UCLA or some trash game that took four hours and had me contemplating suicide.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

All those folks laid off so the management at Gisnep could gamble on the job.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1128709076937052160?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1128718383048998913?s=19

i am dead and i have died

play this at my funeral

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1128718383048998913?s=19

i am dead and i have died

play this at my funeral

Stephen A becoming likable by embracing his most unlikable qualities and turning them up to 11 is so good. He is the GOAT and deserves every dollar he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm legit amazed he made it through that whole thing without busting out in laughter. He comes really close a couple times.

E: lmao

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1128719913768689665