Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

ShadeofBlue posted:

Talking about the size of space in terms of how fast light moves isn't all that helpful.

An easier and fun one might be a land-line phone call to my sister from Alaska to the midwest, circa the 90's.

Normal: "Hey hows it going?" "Good, what's up with you?"

From AK: "Hey how's it going?"

6 beats.....

"Good what's up with you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElGroucho posted:

hard pass on joe rogan anything

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

jobson groeth posted:

Or you could never support the guy that is a feed in to Nazi bullshit.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Talking about the size of space in terms of how fast light moves isn't all that helpful.

I will forever love how Rear Admiral Grace Hopper explained what a nanosecond was to programmers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpsKnWZrJ8

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Translation:

Portugal strikes again, ha HA!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SimplyCosmic posted:

I will forever love how Rear Admiral Grace Hopper explained what a nanosecond was to programmers.

that's amazing

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Re: space being huge.

So how fast is light? Pretty damned fast, isn't it? Like so loving fast you can't ever see it moving under normal circumstances. It's fast enough that you can treat it like it's instantaneous for pretty much everything that happens day to day. It isn't but it might as well be it's so freaking fast.

Despite that it takes 8 god damned minutes and 20 loving seconds for it to get here from the Sun. That's right. Over eight minutes. If the Sun blew up for some reason it would take over eight minutes for that information to get here. If you had something that could travel the speed of light it would still take over four hours to get to Pluto.

The star that's closest to ours is over four light years away. If the Sun blew up it would be over four years before anybody over at Alpha Centauri saw it.

When you look up at the sky at night you are effectively looking back in time.

Check this poo poo out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GN-z11

Farthest known object so far, as far as we can tell. Billions of light years away. Billions. When you look at the pictures of this thing what you're seeing is whatever the hell was there billions of years ago. I'm going to repeat that. Billions. With a b. Whatever is there now probably isn't this thing. It's probably a galaxy.

And here's what it looks like, slowed down so we can actually see it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SimplyCosmic posted:

Yo this owns, I'm reposting this in a bunch of discords rn

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

SimplyCosmic posted:

This owns, and the difference between worrying about losing microseconds then and the poo poo I do now (ehh might need a few hours that's cool) is really interesting.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Re: space being huge.

So how fast is light? Pretty damned fast, isn't it? Like so loving fast you can't ever see it moving under normal circumstances. It's fast enough that you can treat it like it's instantaneous for pretty much everything that happens day to day. It isn't but it might as well be it's so freaking fast.

Despite that it takes 8 god damned minutes and 20 loving seconds for it to get here from the Sun. That's right. Over eight minutes. If the Sun blew up for some reason it would take over eight minutes for that information to get here. If you had something that could travel the speed of light it would still take over four hours to get to Pluto.

The star that's closest to ours is over four light years away. If the Sun blew up it would be over four years before anybody over at Alpha Centauri saw it.

When you look up at the sky at night you are effectively looking back in time.

Check this poo poo out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GN-z11

Farthest known object so far, as far as we can tell. Billions of light years away. Billions. When you look at the pictures of this thing what you're seeing is whatever the hell was there billions of years ago. I'm going to repeat that. Billions. With a b. Whatever is there now probably isn't this thing. It's probably a galaxy.

drat i loving love science

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Now that was pretty neat.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Xun posted:

This owns, and the difference between worrying about losing microseconds then and the poo poo I do now (ehh might need a few hours that's cool) is really interesting.

Some of us still have to worry about losing microseconds.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SimplyCosmic posted:

I saw her interviewed on 60 Minutes when I was a teenager and I was so impressed by her.

Here it is, including a much better quality nanosecond chat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LR6NPpFxw4

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

Rip

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

Microseconds or micromilimetres?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This doesn't seem realistic at all, the cops are shooting armed white people?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Goofy, again, is loving useless.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Aramoro posted:

This doesn't seem realistic at all, the cops are shooting armed white people?

Also, they're really good at shooting. Two cops, with revolvers, have killed or badly wounded 5 of the 7 thieves.
That would take about 23 cops with 17-round magazines and about 200 rounds to accomplish these days.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Pyroclastic posted:

Also, they're really good at shooting. Two cops, with revolvers, have killed or badly wounded 5 of the 7 thieves.
That would take about 23 cops with 17-round magazines and about 200 rounds to accomplish these days.

Also a massive number of friendly fire casualties, both cops and real people.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Pyroclastic posted:

They've also reloaded at least once going by the number of hits on the getaway car.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This would definitely make you drop your cooler...

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1129401525107855361

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shouldve called the cops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4iQrDuf1r8

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

WHALECOPS

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My man Daffy's on a mission to redistribute that wealth.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Donald?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Wu Ming Foundation has you covered:

book only avilable in Italian unfortunately posted:

Clockwork Orange Duck. A kind of sequel to Rats and Blood, but you can also read this first. Due to the names "Carl Barks" and "Karl Marx" being almost identical, Duckburg's social system short-circuits. Donald Duck gets class conscious and aware of the exploitation he suffers at the hands of both Uncle Scrooge (within the boundaries of the cartoon) and the Disney corporate bosses. The only way to cope with the situation is by launching the armed struggle for the liberation of Duckburg and the whole cartoon world. A gruesome tale of revenge and ultraviolence.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

big whale,
big whale
whatcha gonna do,
whatcha gonna do when they breach on you

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

I always feel sorry for this guy being saddled with the family he has. He's the only one who's excited :(

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Krankenstyle posted:

big whale,
big whale
whatcha gonna do,
whatcha gonna do when they breach on you

WHALE COPS is filmed on location with the men & women of maritime law enforcement

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

eating only apples posted:

I always feel sorry for this guy being saddled with the family he has. He's the only one who's excited :(

How do you get that close and not try to touch the whale? They're the friendly buses of the sea!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

she thought the whale was going to eat her. imagine being that dense

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TheBigAristotle posted:

she thought the whale was going to eat her. imagine being that dense

I have to admit that orcas would probably freak me out.

Edit: apparently they've never caused a fatality in the wild. That left witnesses.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 23:06 on May 18, 2019

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Death by orca would be loving rad though. You'd probably get posted in this thread.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHlCiB98N4

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:eyepop:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

tangy yet delightful posted:

Death by orca would be loving rad though. You'd probably get posted in this thread.

I once saw a documentary that showed an orca torturing ("playing with," the doco called it) a seal pup for over an hour before it eventually got bored and killed it. Didn't even eat it afterwards.
"Rad" is really not the word I'd use.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lady Disdain posted:

I once saw a documentary that showed an orca torturing ("playing with," the doco called it) a seal pup for over an hour before it eventually got bored and killed it. Didn't even eat it afterwards.
"Rad" is really not the word I'd use.

Given they don't have the sense of morality that we have, then "playing with" is fine. Why would they give a poo poo about their food anyway?

Also that was an old BBC documentary, a David Attenborough one. They're pretty good at being impassionate about nature like that.

Kid me did find the seal pup being batted back and forward by Orcas as it slowly disintegrated somewhat upsetting though, I'll give you that.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Roblo posted:

Given they don't have the sense of morality that we have, then "playing with" is fine. Why would they give a poo poo about their food anyway?

Also that was an old BBC documentary, a David Attenborough one. They're pretty good at being impassionate about nature like that.

Kid me did find the seal pup being batted back and forward by Orcas as it slowly disintegrated somewhat upsetting though, I'll give you that.

I get that nature is cruel and indifferent. But I was inferring what would happen if a human were to be killed by an orca in the wild, so I think from a human perspective, "torture" is an appropriate term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
They're pretty nasty to the humans they get in captivity, so it's not hard to imagine what a wild orca could do to a person.