Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
quivering in my boots that the jam man will force me to care about the poors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
As I understand it, every bottle of Buckfast that england exports to abroad instead of to scotland is one fewer weapon in their long term campaign to poison the scottish people and destroy scottish civil society.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

hakimashou posted:

As I understand it, every bottle of Buckfast that england exports to abroad instead of to scotland is one fewer weapon in their long term campaign to poison the scottish people and destroy scottish civil society.

Scotland makes it, and despite the desperate evilness of England's treatment of the Scotts for 300 years, alcoholism is the one thing you can't blame on them.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
But it says on the bottle that it comes from Devon

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think the more appropriate question is what doesn't brexit mean

brexit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah im pretty sure its not made in scotland its just they use it to commit all their crimes

i still havent tried it, i think my caffiene and alcohol insanity days are behind me

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Checked out for 1.5k posts or so and now the Guardian is telling me Farrage's Brexit party is polling well in the EU elections, which I also do not understand. Is the sky falling or is Labour and Corbyn still doing their thing?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

Checked out for 1.5k posts or so and now the Guardian is telling me Farrage's Brexit party is polling well in the EU elections, which I also do not understand. Is the sky falling or is Labour and Corbyn still doing their thing?

they called their party brexit party and the only reason anyone would vote in these EU elections is if they care about brexit

by contrast the remain party is called Change UK - The Independent Group and polls at like 4%

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Vitamin P posted:

I don't know much about his schtick but isn't Pie going against his own audience here?

https://twitter.com/PaulEmbery/status/1127100522832506885

quillette's own alan partridge everybody!!!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gotta buck fast

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kobayashi posted:

If you want to vote for remain in the EU elections you have labour, Lib Dem’s, change uk, green, Plaid Cymru, snp splitting the vote. UKIP is dead. So guess what? The only Brexit party... is the Brexit party. No one in the media seems to understand this and are now starting the groundwork on a narrative that if the Brexit party gets the most votes by even just vote it means we gotta Brexit now the people have spoken.

It’s so perfect that I’m starting to believe the conspiracy theories that it’s why our gutter press went so hard in on Sargon. Gotta bury UKIP.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 08:32 on May 12, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1127499116458721282

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

why do we care about what the prisons minister has to say???

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

The Puppet Master posted:

why do we care about what the prisons minister has to say???

cos you'll be thrown in prison if you don't, READ A BOOK MAYBE SIR

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bit of a train wreck this

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1127508938105057281?s=19

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

He does raise one valid point when he asks "What is wrong with the BBC?"

The answer being that they still continue to suck Farage's dick and give him as much screen time and free advertising as he can fit into his schedule.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I mean, he is polling 30%? right now and the BBC have their veneer of impartiality to keep up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I like how the BBC has become the biggest platform for fascists in the UK and their whole thing is just having right wing liberals try and gotcha them

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Dance Officer posted:

I mean, he is polling 30%? right now and the BBC have their veneer of impartiality to keep up.

The BBC defender has logged on

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
https://twitter.com/chrisapplegate/status/1127567102511071233

A loop of:
"My solicitor says not to do X but my accountant says go for it"
"Welp"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

what does it all mean?!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

a brexit buckfast breakfast

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Itzena posted:

https://twitter.com/chrisapplegate/status/1127567102511071233

A loop of:
"My solicitor says not to do X but my accountant says go for it"
"Welp"

i looked up the most recent thread of this on reddit and el em eff ay oh:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I like how the BBC has become the biggest platform for fascists in the UK and their whole thing is just having right wing liberals try and gotcha them

The lib yanks fellating the BBC since Shapiro got a slap there has been an appalling display.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
See the British press don't muck about they ask the hard questions, it's just what they do to anyone, Shapiro wasn't expecting the brutal forensic takedown that's just normal for the "beeb" if Shapiro wasn't a 'new media' type and hadn't said things that are so blatantly outside the current UK overton window he would have gotten the exact same softballs every right wing oval office gets on the BBC. The BBC isn't better than American media, it's still terrible just in a slightly different way, it's funny that Shapiro crashed that hard but it's because he's weak not because British media is good at all.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Vitamin P posted:

See the British press don't muck about they ask the hard questions, it's just what they do to anyone, Shapiro wasn't expecting the brutal forensic takedown that's just normal for the "beeb" if Shapiro wasn't a 'new media' type and hadn't said things that are so blatantly outside the current UK overton window he would have gotten the exact same softballs every right wing oval office gets on the BBC. The BBC isn't better than American media, it's still terrible just in a slightly different way, it's funny that Shapiro crashed that hard but it's because he's weak not because British media is good at all.

yeah he came in expecting fox news softballs, instead he was mildly questioned by an even slightly critical voice who didn't fall for his gish gallop tactics and ran off crying like a baby

like it was funny and everything but it doesn't exonerate the BBC in any way

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
BBC articles.

They are written in the most terrible way.

It's like they're writing for imbeciles.

Please stop linking the BBC.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Martout posted:

yeah he came in expecting fox news softballs, instead he was mildly questioned by an even slightly critical voice who didn't fall for his gish gallop tactics and ran off crying like a baby

like it was funny and everything but it doesn't exonerate the BBC in any way

Just compare it to Farage taking the same poo poo from Marr, and springboarding off it into his stock ranting about the establishment ignoring the people and the issues and trying to take him down. Andrew Neil gave Shapiro a platform to do the same, he just wasted it because he's an idiot. Neil laughing and saying "if only you knew how ridiculous you sound" when Shapiro called him left-wing is the big tell - like didn't he wonder why the hell the BBC wanted to interview some rando from the US? Why someone completely unknown here is getting signal boosted?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Dance Officer posted:

The Beeb's veneer of impartiality directly contributes to this mess.

It started years back when the BNP won some minor victories in council elections and, for the sake of balance, the BBC aired their views and drove the national conversation wildly to the right.

This gave rise to UKIP, who hoped to put a more acceptable face on far-right politics, for people who didn't subscribe to the full-on neo-fascism of the BNP but still wanted to hate brown people for "economic" reasons. Again the national conversation was driven to the right, and the BBC facilitated that by giving unwarranted airtime to Farage and his cohorts.

This resulted in a big swing towards UKIP in the European elections, but also resulted in a whole spectrum of far-right wingnuts jumping on the UKIP bandwagon and causing the party to self-destruct. UKIP became the party of alt-right crazies instead of the party of moderate racists it was set up to be.

Farage jumped ship and established the Brexit Party as a less overtly racist version of the UKIP party he helped found.

History is going to repeat itself. The Brexit Party will likely do well at the polls in the European election, but will soon collapse as former UKIP people sign up and it degenerates into the infighting between different factions arguing how the others aren't doing racism right that destroyed UKIP.

The far-right is a joke. They continually try to re-invent themselves as moderate racists but each time they form a breakaway "respectable" party it ends up being overrun by absolute neo-fascist bellends.

And the crime of the BBC is that, under the veneer of balance, they give this whole clusterfuck a platform to spread their message.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Beeb is also really dedicated to a particularly lovely implementation of its requirement to be 'balanced and impartial'. Which turns out to mean that in news commentary and factual programming whenever an opinion, view or conclusion is reached, you give airtime to someone with the opposite view to 'balance' it, however incorrect, heinous, crazy, corrupt, fringe or damaging that view is.

So, say the BBC's leading morning news radio programme interviews an academic who has just concluded a six-year study into the economic effects of immigration, with rigorous analytical detail, well-chosen geographical and demographic samples and proper statistical correction and correlation testing, which says that immigrants are a net benefit to the economy. The interviewer will then turn to some gammony bellend from a right-wing think tank with a blandly ominous name like the Institute of Demographic Research, who will be given unbroken and largely unchallenged air time to talk about how his mates down the pub reckon all the foreigners are managing to claim all the benefits and take all the jobs, and even if immigrants do actually add net economic value they don't Share Our British Values and should all be sent back. The interviewer will ho-hum and say something like "well, this has been a lively exchange of views and this is going to remain a contentious issue for some time to come...and now it's Thought For The Day...", as if both those viewpoints have anything like the factual and intellectual weight behind them to be 'balanced'.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

iirc farage got more airtime than the entire extraparliamentary left for many years, before the referendum when he was the leader of UKIP (or when he wasn't) or after when he stepped down and wasn't representing anyone at all

he's a populist in the trump vein, playing the media for free coverage

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They had an Irish MEP on Question Time a few months back and it was the first time they had a non-UKIP MEP as a guest for like five years

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Elevator Screamer posted:

The far-right is a joke. They continually try to re-invent themselves as moderate racists but each time they form a breakaway "respectable" party it ends up being overrun by absolute neo-fascist bellends.

that's because all of them are already neo-fascist bellends

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

build the wall

to keep the rich out of the UK

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i've heard that bucky specifically had to be switched to plastic bottles because too many idiots were getting glassed after buckfast-fueled arguments got out of hand

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I hear Buckfast will get you hosed fast, can someone confirm or deny?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
buckfast seems like the kind of thing I would absolutely drink to get through my workday and the kind of thing I absolutely under no circumstances should ever drink

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
well, its only been... uh, 17 months since the dwp hoped to starve me to death, I seem to have somehow survived that, I think, as I just got my first PiP payment, I should "celebrate".
I shall purchase a buckfast.
perhaps I will tell you what my opinion of it is later.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Buckwild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
I’m buckfast and I’m here to gently caress up, fast