Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

great, the evil spirits and demons are going to be all over the dohyo, haunting all the matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How much salt would the rikishi have to throw at him for purification?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Better get Terutsuyoshi on the job.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I wouldn't be surprised if he thought it was like WWE and he might get a shot at going in the ring

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he thought it was like WWE and he might get a shot at going in the ring

The best case scenario might be if he got bored and left before the sanyaku matches.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Reinstate Harumafuji if he beans Trump with a remote control.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Actually, just reinstate Harumafuji, full stop. Thanks!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

The best case scenario might be if he got bored and left before the sanyaku matches.

You’re describing a ton of dipshit expats right here

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
He is egotistical enough that he might actually tell the NSK that he's bored and they shouldn't bother with the ceremonies between matches. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to be Musashigawa, the one oyataka born in the US who will probably be given the job of babysitting Trump.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Interesting video about the Trump visit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1B7stRkYDg

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the poo poo, I was joking and I don't seriously care if he just shows up to watch but he wants to actually get up on the dohyo to present the motherfucking cup, are you serious?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trump will be on the floor a few rows back from the dohyo

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/15/donald-trump-sumo-match-japan-1274818

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
What happens if one of the Yokozuna get upset & people start throwing their cushions down

Do Secret Service just open fire?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Assuming the Secret Service follows their normal procedure, it is going to be an absolute clusterfuck. It's one thing if he was in some isolated box that could be secured, but having him in the stands is nuts. They will want to screen everybody and have total control over the venue, as well as having a huge buffer zone around Trump. It would be a massive inconvenience for everyone and people will complain. My guess is that they tell Trump no once the Secret Service tries to work out the details with the Kyoukai, or at least put him in the Emperor's box.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also the secret service constantly does embarrassing moronic poo poo so that's a match made in heaven

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looks like Hakuho is applying to become Japanese. Looks like we'll have to wait for the first foreign coach a while longer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You can't join the NSK unless you're a Japanese citizen. To become a Japanese citizen you general have to renounce your birth citizenship, which is what Hakuho has begun the process of doing. This is the first material step he's taken towards retirement. Pretty big deal.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hakuho got a slap on the wrist for that whole clapping thing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kenning posted:

You can't join the NSK unless you're a Japanese citizen. To become a Japanese citizen you general have to renounce your birth citizenship, which is what Hakuho has begun the process of doing. This is the first material step he's taken towards retirement. Pretty big deal.

I think he had said he might have done it earlier but he wouldn't renounce his Mongolian citizenship while his grandfather (maybe father?) was alive. Whichever guy it was died about a year ago and he waited a year after that to start this process. He still wants to perform a ring entering ceremony at the Tokyo Olympics so I don't think he's voluntarily retiring for at least a year.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

I think he had said he might have done it earlier but he wouldn't renounce his Mongolian citizenship while his grandfather (maybe father?) was alive. Whichever guy it was died about a year ago and he waited a year after that to start this process. He still wants to perform a ring entering ceremony at the Tokyo Olympics so I don't think he's voluntarily retiring for at least a year.

Yeah he said he wouldn't change while his father was still alive.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The banzuke is out. Hakuho is almost certainly going to go kyujo, so we will likely have only one yokozuna for the tournament. We have a new Ozeki with Takakeisho. Tochinoshin has been demoted and will get a one-time chance to regain his Ozeki rank if he gets 10 wins. As expected Ichinojo flew all the way up to Sekiwake after his jun-yusho. Aside from Tochi's special situation, no one else is on any kind of a yokozuna or ozeki run.

At the bottom, there was speculation of possibly 5 promotions, but the banzuke committee was unimpressed with the candidates for a 5th promotion and left a lot of the bottom of the rankings unchanged even though there were some losing records down there.

code:
 East                    Rank                   West

Hakuho (*)             Yokozuna                Kakuryu
Goeido                  Ozeki                  Takayasu
Takakeisho (+)          Ozeki                  
Ichinojo (+)           Sekiwake                Tochinoshin (-)
Aoiyama (+)            Komosubi                Mitakeumi
Hokutofuji (-)            M1                   Kotoshogiku
Endo                      M2                   Daieisho
Chiyotairyu               M3                   Tamawashi (-)
Okinoumi                  M4                   Abi
Myogiryu                  M5                   Ryuden
Takarafuji                M6                   Yoshikaze
Shodai                    M7                   Meisei
Kaisei                    M8                   Asanoyama
Nishikigi                 M9                   Tomokaze
Kagayaki                  M10                  Onosho
Shohozan                  M11                  Tochiozan
Shimanoumi (+)            M12                  Yago
Chiyomaru (+)             M13                  Sadanoumi
Tokushoryu (+)            M14                  Enho (+)
Terutsuyoshi              M15                  Kotoeko
Daishoho                  M16                  Ishiura
Chiyoshoma                M17

Rigel fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 30, 2019

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Hakuho will probably turn up for the first day just so he can kick off the new imperial era with his two protoges Ishiura and Enho doing the ring entering ceremony with him now Enho has made it to the top division.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
What's up with Hakuho's hosed up arm, BTW? Did he actually go to a doctor or is he rubbing purifying salt on it?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dias posted:

What's up with Hakuho's hosed up arm, BTW? Did he actually go to a doctor or is he rubbing purifying salt on it?

I believe he eventually went to a doctor, they recommended surgery, and he declined. Fortunately, his particular injury (according to medical nerds on the internet) is one where he very likely can recover with just rehab, but he would have to put up with pain and discomfort until he gets it properly repaired.

That is contrasted with Kisenosato's injury where surgery was absolutely required and not getting it killed his career.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Get ready for fantasy again thread! Get your draft rosters in by Saturday the 11th, I'll be doing the draft that night. I'll have mine up in the next couple days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to sit this one out since hopefully I’ll be too busy seeing Tokyo and not just posting about it lol

Will definitely check in on my sumo day though. Never really thanked the thread for getting me into sumo, answering my questions, putting up with my irrational Hakuho hate >:B

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking forward for the upcoming basho. Hakuho says his arm is ready but he hasn't started practice bouts.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Hakuho has now said that he'll withdraw. Sad to have him miss the first tournament of Reiwa, but it's probably for the best as far as his injury is concerned.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah it's disappointing he won't be there but he hasn't been doing practise bouts so it was always on the cards.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Sad to see Hakuho withdraw. At least Tochinoshins path to 10 wins became slightly easier.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just have to hope Enho and Ishiura can stay up for him. He actually went to a doctor who told him he wasn't ready and listened to the medical advice.

His oyakata even said something about not wanting to do a Kisenosato. Yokozuna are the only guys who can give their injuries time to heal without risking their rank, and even they want to rush back.

I really think they need to reassess the injury rules, all it needs is a requirement of an independent medical assessment to overcome the perceived problem that wrestlers were abusing the old system. This whole mess is a textbook example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good first day. Did we all see the slap Aoiyama gave Tamawashi? He'll be feeling that for the rest of the year. Great win for Enho, hoping he can keep doing that for the tournament. Tochinoshin with one down and nine to go, hoping he gets back to Ozeki. Takakeisho doing the business as an Ozeki with a good win as well.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

That was a hell of a slap and Tamawashi gave some serious poo poo eye afterwards.

Loved Enhos bout, Tokushoryu seemed a little salty about the loss.

Also, glad to see Tochinoshin pickin' dudes up again! Hope he can keep it up for whole basho

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm also really glad to see Tochinoshin at full strength. I think him and Takakeisho look the best so far.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Kakuryu threw Hokotofuji into the shadow realm during their bout. It was like something out of Pros vs Joes.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 14, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Patrick Spens posted:

Kakuryu threw Hokotofuji into the shadow realm during there bout. It was like something out of Pros vs Joes.

Yeah, he wasn't taking any poo poo in that bout really showing what a yokozuna can do. Ichinojo manages to get back to winning ways and Tochinoshin is another step closer to Ozeki.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oof, Takayasu needs to get his head in the game. He’s not looking very dominant right now.

I mean he hasn’t looked BAD in the losses, but I’ve seen much better from hairyboi.

Can I just say how much I love watching this live on TV? I’m getting super psyched for day 12!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 4: Is it too early to not really be worried about Tochinoshin and start wondering if he can win the yusho? Yeah, it probably is a bit early for that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rigel posted:

Day 4: Is it too early to not really be worried about Tochinoshin and start wondering if he can win the yusho? Yeah, it probably is a bit early for that.

The lads 40% of the way to his target, I'm pretty excited that he'll get it. I'm really interested in how Enho is going to do, he said he wanted ten wins and the technique award that's a pretty big ask but he's 3-1 so I'm hoping he can end 9-6 at least.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It was so exciting to see Takakeisho win with solid yotsu-zumo, and then so crushing when it was clear he'd hurt himself. Looks like he'll be kyujo with a knee injury. I hope he's able to heal up in time for Nagoya.