Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i wonder if anyone at HBO saw the backlash coming. Not like they could do much about it but I'm curious if everyone knew this was going to be a shitshow or if they're just surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
grrm gave the show makers all his secret bad ideas so he could put all the good ideas in the next book

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i wonder if anyone at HBO saw the backlash coming. Not like they could do much about it but I'm curious if everyone knew this was going to be a shitshow or if they're just surprised

everybody probably likes it

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
It's the best episode of a Season 8 where this is Episode 2 and also they had been developing Danery's character for this since Season 6/7.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked then part were no one from KL armies did anything except getting killed. Talk about owned he Cersi? Maybe you shouldnt have killed useless translator lady?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Smirking_Serpent posted:

didn't D&D say they're planning on escaping to a tropical island and avoiding all contact with the outside world for a while after this ends?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

gently caress that they need to be put on trial for their crimes

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm hoping for a reboot set in an alternate universe where Jon was born with very obvious platinum blond hair.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dany: we had to destroy kings landing in order to save it.

Woke Progressives: Hell yea medieval morality ftw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bring back old gbs posted:

grrm gave the show makers all his secret bad ideas so he could put all the good ideas in the next book

Next book lol

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm betting that their philosophy for the show is entirely based around creating "Red Wedding moments", along with the accompanying buzz.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The whole Dany being good-oh-no-wait-she-really-was-evil-all-along would have been a bit more hard hitting and natural if:

A: Foreshadowing was taken into account.
B: D&D weren't the writers.
C: Emilia Clarke knew how to act.

Instead we have a perfect storm of some of the worst writing and imagination. The thing is it's not really this seasons fault, it's more a combination of the last number of seasons not really exploring Dany's character beyond "I have dragons". Let's keep in mind that for a good three to four seasons seasons she effectively did gently caress all. If you compare her story to Cersei's you can see the fundamental flaw - Cersei goes through absolute hell and comes out of it and yeah, sure, she's evil as gently caress, but you at least understand why she's like that. Dany though doesn't achieve anything - her character doesn't develop, her reasons don't evolve, she's just a static brat who wants the throne.

That she's done an about turn and gone batshit insane isn't clever of the writers, nor is it some sort of pulling the rug from underneath us. Instead it just comes off as bizarre and frankly comical. That everything is so ridiculously rushed toward an inevitability disappointing end just adds on to the sort of comic dumb nature of the show.

This series is so fundamentally broken because George wanted to do War of the Roses, but got caught up in his fantasy crap, and the TV series has never known how to balance complexity with viewing numbers, so has just gone full blown patronisingly explaining everything to the viewer as if they're a child.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 13, 2019

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

All those dipshits who named their kid Kahleesi are probably feeling real good about that right now lol

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

the last shot of the show is gonna be some peasant standing around the burning rubble in kings landing saying "i sure am tired of all these game of thrones"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Chrs Gry posted:

All those dipshits who named their kid Kahleesi are probably feeling real good about that right now lol

The worst is they could have chosen "Dany" and kept plausible deniability.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Communist Bear posted:

full blown patronisingly explaining everything to the viewer as if they're a child.

I really like how the after-episode explanation of the obvious really drives this point home.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Lol at Dany starting an invasion on a soveirgn nation, carpet-bombing the surrendered-capital-city and its ruling government to ashes, and probably planning to go back to her previous kingdom like nothing ever happened.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Someone elaborate.
Is this really the end to the prophecy?

A few seaons ago a crone told her all her kids would die and she'd be killed by her brother. And if they can awkwardly fudge Arya's prophecy about eye colour into their vision then I guess they can lend credence to their brilliance by naming a pile of bricks.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Next time on Game of Thrones..
*Close up on Danys face sweating bullets*
Voiceover: ughhh my stomach hurts!
*Flashback to her eating the horses heart*
Dany:I can't stop making GBS threads!
*Close up on Jon looking worried*
Jon: I'll always love you my queen!
*Fade to Black. Sounds of making GBS threads and a fading scream*

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Methanar posted:

In S1E1, Jaime Lannister pushes Bran Stark out of a window. This is subtle foreshadowing for S8E5, where eight seasons of Jaime's character development are similarly thrown out the window.

"Heh nothing personal kid. The things we do for love"

Jamie pushed Bran out a window because he wanted to see time fly

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Is the "the building is named Little Brother" real or are people just meme-ing?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

YaketySass posted:

I hope it's true. It'd be the biggest, hackiest piece of poo poo move and I'd love it.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So Cersei was not killed by any of her brothers? All of this prophecy poo poo is fakenews?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Her brother was there though, maybe he fell on her when the stuff collapsed and did the final blow with that or something. Wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

GoT died to give us this. Was it worth it? :lol: no.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

tino posted:

So Cersei was not killed by any of her brothers? All of this prophecy poo poo is fakenews?

Prophecies only matter when they can be retro-actively crammed in to make the writers look smart.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

YaketySass posted:

It's a meme. :(

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

Prophecies only matter when they can be retro-actively crammed in to make the writers look smart.

Which makes it more hilarious when they're not used.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it would have owned if Cersei had actually sent troops to help Winterfell and turned good somehow and Dany ended up burning the city anyway

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Chrs Gry posted:

"Um...it's pronounced Kelly C, my parents just want and unconventional spelling."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Kelly Cray-Cray

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Communist Bear posted:

That she's done an about turn and gone batshit insane isn't clever of the writers, nor is it some sort of pulling the rug from underneath us. Instead it just comes off as bizarre and frankly comical. That everything is so ridiculously rushed toward an inevitability disappointing end just adds on to the sort of comic dumb nature of the show.

It wasn't the greatest build up in the world, but the seeds were always there. The show writers culled a lot of bloat from the Mereen plot, but they also cut out the one important bit, which was that everything that went wrong was directly or indirectly a result of Dany's paranoia and inexperience. Instead, the Sons of the Harpy were just a nebulous force with no cause other than the return of slavery. Season 7 was hell of stupid, but it did also show her brutally murdering the only two characters who told her to her face that a foreign invader leading armies of marauders and slaves is not something people will easily accept.

E:

tino posted:

They cut that part of the prophecy from the show; she just got told all her kids were gonna die and a younger queen would usurp her.

They left in the Azor Ahai prophecy, though, and I'm really not sure how that gets squared away besides "the Lord of Light sorta forgot that his champion was supposed to kill their lover and get a badass flaming sword."

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 13, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Arya: Spends the entirety of the series becoming a silent assassin ninja badass on a quest for revenge. Gets within inches of achieving her goals.

The Hound: "But you might die."

Arya:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

*teleports army behind you*

pscht, nothing personel, frey's bridge

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The snow zombies should have won imo

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It wasn't the greatest build up in the world, but the seeds were always there. The show writers culled a lot of bloat from the Mereen plot, but they also cut out the one important bit, which was that everything that went wrong was directly or indirectly a result of Dany's paranoia and inexperience. Instead, the Sons of the Harpy were just a nebulous force with no cause other than the return of slavery. Season 7 was hell of stupid, but it did also show her brutally murdering the only two characters who told her to her face that a foreign invader leading armies of marauders and slaves is not something people will easily accept.

The problem imo is that the show is mostly stuck between moments of violence where the intended emotion wheelspins between "grimly badass" and "holy gently caress, too far", and which character gets which seems to follow Calvinball rules. There's very little sense of an ethos on the part of the showrunners outside of what's needed for the plot to progress.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How are people complaining about CLEGANE BOWL?

It opens with castle walls crumbling and a dragon flying overhead.

Literally the only way to make it more perfect for a piece of lovely pop culture would be if Lemmy was there wailing out a metal riff.

I'd prefer if it was Limmy

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Solar Tornado posted:

Lol at Dany starting an invasion on a soveirgn nation, carpet-bombing the surrendered-capital-city and its ruling government to ashes, and probably planning to go back to her previous kingdom like nothing ever happened.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I think the show can do the heel turn better if they just put more thought into it. For example, have Euron injury Drogon's wing. Drogon can not fly high anymore and can only chicken-fly. This enrage both Dany and Drogon and they go to town with the slum session of KL and basically killdozer their way to the palace.

Also they really need some more dramatic music and closeup of Dany's crazy eyes for the heel turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They left in the Azor Ahai prophecy, though, and I'm really not sure how that gets squared away besides "the Lord of Light sorta forgot that his champion was supposed to kill their lover and get a badass flaming sword."

Arya gets pregnant and dies in childbirth, Gendry gets gonorrhea.