Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

You really believe that poo poo when you got a bunch of online idiots bombing reviews for movies and video games. It's cool to exaggerate the hate on the show right now.

Rotten Tomatoes review score is based on critic reviews. So people who are verified as working in the media news industry and are paid, their content has to be published on a site like New York Times, or a local news paper website. It's not an exaggeration that people hate this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Macaluso posted:

I and all of my IRL friends and most regular rear end people I have seen on twitter have mostly been fine with the show up until this episode. This episode I have seen nothing but hate from those on twitter I follow that like the show and even my IRL friends all have the same consensus that last night's episode was trash.

Eh, this episode was significantly better than last week's. If anyone was fine with last week and then not fine with last night, they need to get their head checked.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

10/10 ep for causing the Dany Stans to lose their minds and also winning the debate with my girlfriend about Dany being poo poo

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Raccooon posted:

Jon got any big kills?

Olly

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Dany literally said she is going to rule by fear at the start of the episode but I was still surprised when she said gently caress your surrender and nuked Kings Landing

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Plot armor can withstand such cuts as easily as a fridge can save you from a nuke.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

lol

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Does someone have every name on Arya’s list?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Captain Jesus posted:

Cleganebowl was bad because nothing was at stake, compared for example to the Oberyn/The Mountain fight. The fight itself was also pretty unremarkable. The Hound should have stabbed buff Varys in the eye with the dagger right away instead of stabbing him repeatedly in other places with no effect. Nothing was preventing him from stabbing the eye immediately when he took it out.

The Mountain really wasn't a threat to anybody anymore at this point and I don't see how Hounds desire for revenge works with his character development. Especially as his brother was pretty much just a zombie automaton anyway. The Hound should know that if he also knew where to find him.

The scene was at least 50% fan service to begin with. The Mountain was clearly not a zombie automation as they went out of their way to show him break his orders and kill Qyburn because of his inner hate for his bro. The fight was fine, I don't believe either of the brothers were ever depicted as spectacular or talented swordsman, they both relied on their brute strength and durability to beat most of their opponents. Ultimately, Sandor's greatest achievement was redeeming Arya and his final fight with his brother was in his mind always going to lead to his own death. The scene played out to show he was correct. Plus it's a much grander death and story arc than a lot of people have gotten in the show.

The Hound doesn't give a drat about the politics, the games or most people. His entire story is about how much he hated his brother and the path it led him down. Now he's got nothing left but to exorcise the demon.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lol Dany has never given a poo poo about the poor and downtrodden except as a pretext to kill more people and the fiction was entirely predicated on her being greeted as a liberator

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red posted:

Does someone have every name on Arya’s list?

They are all dead.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

What's the main reason Jon Snow rejects Dany? Are we to assume it's because she's his aunt and he thinks it's icky? I blame him blueballing her for the death of thousands.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

The scene was at least 50% fan service to begin with. The Mountain was clearly not a zombie automation as they went out of their way to show him break his orders and kill Qyburn because of his inner hate for his bro. The fight was fine, I don't believe either of the brothers were ever depicted as spectacular or talented swordsman, they both relied on their brute strength and durability to beat most of their opponents. Ultimately, Sandor's greatest achievement was redeeming Arya and his final fight with his brother was in his mind always going to lead to his own death. The scene played out to show he was correct. Plus it's a much grander death and story arc than a lot of people have gotten in the show.

The Hound doesn't give a drat about the politics, the games or most people. His entire story is about how much he hated his brother and the path it led him down. Now he's got nothing left but to exorcise the demon.

I agree with you, its less about who the mountain was (a husk at this point.) And more about the hate Sandor had. It condemned him, and he embraced it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iamsosmrt posted:

What's the main reason Jon Snow rejects Dany? Are we to assume it's because she's his aunt and he thinks it's icky?

Yes they (Tyrion/Varys) even elaborate on this.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

iamsosmrt posted:

What's the main reason Jon Snow rejects Dany? Are we to assume it's because she's his aunt and he thinks it's icky?

yeah

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
There is definitely a way you could make Evil Daenerys work, but this wasn't it. She has always had the vindictive streak, but it was tempered by empathy for people who had been mistreated (like she had been). To throw out the entire empathetic side of her character because she was angry doesn't track with what we know about her.

I thought they were going to have her vindictiveness come back to bite her, i.e. She decides to take one last shot at Cersei even after the city has surrendered, and accidentally ignites the wildfire hidden all over the city. That would have fit with her character (she has no qualms going into murder mode on anyone she sees as having wronged her) but then she would have accidentally hurt all the people she supposedly wanted to save, and had to deal with the fact that her anger had made her into the type of monster she was always trying not to be.

But no, instead she just murdered 500,000 innocent people because she saw the Red Keep.

"I'm not here to be queen of the ashes" -Daenerys, like 8 episodes ago

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i feel like if "normies" are hating on the show it's likely for the "wrong" reasons (they love daenerys and are mad she's a psycho now). the show's been bad for awhile and there's no reason for this to be the one where they go "oh yeah it's bad" for writing/plotting reasons otherwise.

I feel like a lot of normies feel they threw away 8 seasons of Jaime character development. Which I mean I agree with. I think a lot of normies also hated whatever... that was that they did with Arya the whole episode.

I personally loved Dany going full crazy Targ and have wanted that for a while.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Raccooon posted:

Dany put herself and army in harms way to save humanity from the apocalypse.

Two episodes later she goes full Hitler and slaughters women and children.

Hhhmm okay.

But she also killed a lot of the army of the dead, so the signs were there.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Gunthen posted:

I agree with you, its less about who the mountain was (a husk at this point.) And more about the hate Sandor had. It condemned him, and he embraced it.

Absolutely it's about Sandor. The problem is, why would they give the zombie the order breaking nonsense to uphold his grudge. It was just dumb. Either he's a husk or he's not.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Also, how lovely is it that Sandor died in a fire. Missandei in chains, Sandor in a fire. Rough endings for both of them.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes they (Tyrion/Varys) even elaborate on this.

So when he says "I love you" still, does he mean it as a nephew?

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

What's the main reason Jon Snow rejects Dany? Are we to assume it's because she's his aunt and he thinks it's icky? I blame him blueballing her for the death of thousands.

I think its partially northern customs, but the way she had been acting since he found out he was the true heir is definitely meant to be a part of it to. She is power hungry and scared, and that means more to Jon then blood.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Raccooon posted:

Up to this point Varys has worked to make her Queen knowing presumably everthing she has done so far.

Then is like jk we should kill her.

With increasingly obvious concern that she sucks. He straight up goes to her with the "I promised you I'd tell you if I felt that I needed to stab you in the back to save the people because you promised you'd listen" line and she tells him to go screw. He jumps ship because he suddenly has an alternative in Jon.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

George RR Martin, stuffing his mouth with bloomin' onion during a lunch meeting with D&D five years ago: Okay so basically Varys backs Jon over Danerys and gets killed
Writer for this season: Okay, so what happens with Varys here?
D&D: He backs Jon over Danerys and gets killed
Writer: Okay, how does that happen exactly
D&D: We just told you
Writer: (shrugs) Alright

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Captain Jesus posted:

Cleganebowl was bad because nothing was at stake,

I gotta defend this: that's the point. The world is collapsing and a would-be hero would rather die for meaningless revenge than live on and live better. I thought it was a nice nod to how spite is toxic and obsessing over payback results in nothing good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Actually the paler a GoT character is the more likely is it to be a murderous rear end in a top hat.

I mean dany never killed a single person

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

rapeface posted:

Man D&D really hate Jamie don't they

Jaime never had any reason to ever even leave KL; his entire journey North and defying Cersei was loving pointless besides "Brienne you are a knight now, I still love my sis though, later"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

"It became necessary to destroy the town in order to save it" - Danerys Targaryen, yesterday

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean dany never killed a single person

Neither did Cersei, if we're being technical.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

George RR Martin, stuffing his mouth with bloomin' onion during a lunch meeting with D&D five years ago: Okay so basically Varys backs Jon over Danerys and gets killed

haha

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

TulliusCicero posted:

Jaime never had any reason to ever even leave KL; his entire journey North and defying Cersei was loving pointless besides "Brienne you are a knight now, I still love my sis though, later"

He needed to finish up his Move ring or else everyone he shares with will see.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

their last child died due to her actions. jaime leaving was the only part of the aftermath to blowing up the sept they did right.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Fast Luck posted:

That is basically all of season 7 and 8.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I could nitpick but I'm fine with how Cleganebowl played out. Yeah they coulda done it where they had yet another Trial By Combat and mystery opponent of gregor is THE HOUND but that would've required not bringing him back immediately and trials by combat have kinda been run into the ground a little in the show. It was cool and ended the right way. I thought he looked kind of dumb with his helmet off though and was creepier with it on.

A small part of me thought Arya was going to end up running into Gregor down there somewhere.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Super Deuce posted:

Absolutely it's about Sandor. The problem is, why would they give the zombie the order breaking nonsense to uphold his grudge. It was just dumb. Either he's a husk or he's not.

Eh this is a pretty common trope, usually for good guys who've been mind controlled or taken over and the only way to overcome the change is via love. To my knowledge, they never explicitly explain the nature of Zombie Mountain's post mortem existence.

They did have him rape that shame nun though, which is strong evidence that there's still more to him than we know.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

Gregor is an undead zombie husk.

Gregor is more himself then he has ever been, "some young men just have a talent for violence." He was always empty, now he visually reflects it. It's more about the symbolism then the continuity, at least that's how I took it. But that's all of season 8 in a nutshell.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

I said come in! posted:

Last nights episode is the new lowest rated episode of the entire series. The other two were last week and the one with the rape scene with Ramsey and Sansa. Season 8 is the first season to drop below a 90% on rotten tomatoes, sitting at a 75% so far. I know absolutely no one personally that liked last nights episode. Outside of this forum I’ve seen nothing but unified hatred for this episode.

This is speculating, but that's probably just a mix of a) people being too invested in Dany and disliking her turning cray-cray and b) people having too high expectations of the series as a whole.

I mean, I get a lot of the criticisms in this thread, but I was only really pulled out of my viewing experience at a few points, and overall enjoyed it. So, I consider it a success.

It could've been done better, though. Dany's turn was clumsily done (though the build-up and sense of foreboding before the battle was okay), Euron swimming ashore literally right at Jaime was so dumb and lazy. Arya lacked agency and felt shoe-horned in (though I understand why, from a film-making perspective). Cersei's Hitler-in-the-bunker routine was hamfisted, yet her dawning realization that Dany's crazy and called her bluff was imo way too subtle. And of course, the scorpions suddenly being completely ineffective against Drogon was lazy and had no real justification.

I liked Jaime and Cersei's end. As has been said in this thread, it fits his character nicely that he should die by her side. Cleganebowl was cool, though I've never really been as hyped about it as a lot of people seem to have been. Jaime and Tyrion's talk was good and a fitting farewell between the two. And not to forget, the production value was amazing, and the sacking/burning of KL was pretty brutal and visually satisfying.

3/10

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why was the mountain supposed to hate the hound?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It sucks to get such a terrible ending to such a great show. I legit loved all of Game of Thrones up until season 8. I have been invested in this world since the books first came out and the very first episode aired on TV. I can understand peoples anger over how horrible season 8 is. This is Dexter, and Breaking Bad levels of awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That Italian Guy posted:

Only one solace now.

:lol:

I'm glad :3: