Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nodosaur posted:

The "make something successful" thing is just a way of politely saying "I hope they can make something good" without giving his actual thoughts on it, whatever they may be.

It does have the side bonus of clearly distancing yourself from the project, which is useful should it turn out to be a huge flaming pile of shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There has been like, no excitement or press for Team Racing. I liked the Sega All-Stars racing games, so I had high hopes for this.

Delaying the game half a year to improve it seemed like a good sign, but the lack of buzz has me concerned :ohdear:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

... What the hell? He's just saying that he and Sonic Team have no involvement with the movie and that it's all Paramount's responsibility to make it a success. Which is true. He has nothing to do with it. Seriously, why are people in this fandom so eager to twist his words into that of a supervillain's?

It's always been that way. Angry geeks need a villain to hate and blame for what they don't like about their chosen franchise.

Pants Donkey posted:

There has been like, no excitement or press for Team Racing. I liked the Sega All-Stars racing games, so I had high hopes for this.

Delaying the game half a year to improve it seemed like a good sign, but the lack of buzz has me concerned :ohdear:

It's a solid racing game, but there's not really much about it to talk about aside from the music. It looks better now than when I played it, and when I played it it was fun. I see it having disappointing sales but quality-wise I wouldn't worry!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Buml0r posted:

Ok, I've been holding back, but since STC has been mentioned a couple of times this page:

I've just launched a fortnightly podcast about the British Sonic comics. The idea is not to be all "so as you know, in issue #84..." but to try and cover everything in the magazine (yes, including the Mark Millar Streets of Rage comics etc), and paint a picture of what it was like to be there and read them at the time. I reckon a few of you here will enjoy it, other people seem to be.

Here go!

Or here go if you don't like apples

I listened to this on my commute today, it's really good! I loved how informative it was about British comics in general, I only ever read StC and The Beano so I don't know much about 2000AD and other comics of the time so it was great getting some context. The editing was entertaining as hell too, loved the music cutting in and out during the charts.

Keep it up, this is one staying on my playlist.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It's always been that way. Angry geeks need a villain to hate and blame for what they don't like about their chosen franchise.
See also that one american production assistant that got death threats for 'ruining silent hill' despite having zero control over any of the games he worked on.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Similarly, the hatred at Ninja Theory for DMC when every single change to Dante was mandated by Capcom.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, they were legitimately homophobic and disrespectful of the previous installments in the franchise. Iizuka has made some bad games, but that's a league of difference from that kind of poo poo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Similarly, the hatred at Ninja Theory for DMC when every single change to Dante was mandated by Capcom.

Who mandated the abortion via sniper rifle?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There was plenty about that game that deserved a whole heaping of flack that I doubt was mandated by Capcom. Off the top of my head, Vergil aborting somebody's baby with a sniper rifle or the main female character's backstory and character arc in the game being basically nothing except rape and abuse.

Like, I think Iizuka's an incompetent doofus but at least he's never gone quite that far off the deep end. Penders has probably wanted to at some point though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I didn't realize that the PowerPoint slides calling Japanese fashion trends gay was in fact mandated by the Japanese company. Mind-blowing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't know about the rest of that stuff, but from what I understand Capcom wanted to change Dante from influenced by Japanese fashion to influenced by American fashion. Anyway, didn't mean to detail the Sega thread with Capcom talk.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pants Donkey posted:

There was a stream like last week of the main sonic youtube channel showing off the game, and it seemed pretty good/fun.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

They've grabbed a few Youtubers and shipped them in to play a couple hours of it, they seem to like it a lot. Caddicarus, for one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

VJeff posted:

Vergil aborting somebody's baby with a sniper rifle

This sounds pretty funny, tbh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mantis42 posted:

This sounds pretty funny, tbh.

I know.

But it wasn't funny.

It wasn't funny at all.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Someone made a Sonic character tier maker. Thought that might be fun to bring up in the thread.
https://tiermaker.com/create/sonic-characters

Here's mine:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Needs the full echidna index.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce that more pages of the Sonic movie script have leaked. These ones contain part of a scene that was in the trailer so they’re definitely legit.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Buml0r posted:

Ok, I've been holding back, but since STC has been mentioned a couple of times this page:

I've just launched a fortnightly podcast about the British Sonic comics. The idea is not to be all "so as you know, in issue #84..." but to try and cover everything in the magazine (yes, including the Mark Millar Streets of Rage comics etc), and paint a picture of what it was like to be there and read them at the time. I reckon a few of you here will enjoy it, other people seem to be.

Here go!

Can confirm that this is super good.

Looking forward to guesting on it soon! (And FINALLY finishing a podcast episode with you)

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce that more pages of the Sonic movie script have leaked. These ones contain part of a scene that was in the trailer so they’re definitely legit.

so glad that they have the balls to go there

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

supergayboy posted:

so glad that they have the blue spheres to go there

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mikedawson posted:

Someone made a Sonic character tier maker. Thought that might be fun to bring up in the thread.

Here's mine:

I thought I knew all of Sonic's friends...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I actually legit like big the cat and I wish the mainline writers of Sonic weren’t so self-conscious and irony-poisoned that they can’t just have fun with all these wacky characters instead of making everything into aggressive self-parody and trying to play along with memes.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Should enemies in the 3D games have the option to have health or all be one hit kills?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mikedawson posted:

Here's mine:

Who is the black haired hedgehog in your top row?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

Should enemies in the 3D games have the option to have health or all be one hit kills?

one hit kills, keep that momentum going

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

elf help book posted:

Who is the black haired hedgehog in your top row?

Honey the Cat
A character that wasn't completely dummied out of Sonic the Fighters that got ascended to canon in the comics and 2012 re-release.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Ahh cool.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdo5f5X_qc
Out of all the 3D Sonic tech demos I think this one looks like the most fun to actually play

I desperately want the source code for that if it's Unity. I'd just fix the out-of-boundaries camera code and go hog wild.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

beep by grandpa posted:

One hit kill unless you're actually going to include meaningful combat mechanics that let you dispatch them quickly and efficiently and move on. None of the gigantic invincibility periods from Heroes or button mashing from 06

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

beep by grandpa posted:

In sonic games that use the mainline, flow-based approach, enemies are functionally level elements. This is true of 2D and 3D. Generally (there are some possible exceptions here) they can have more health if the additional hits and role of the enemy are tied to the level design in some way. For example, of a flying enemy that recoils after each homing hit, effectively forming a path over a gap, or the enemy ship that drops linear attackers in recent entries.

I think there are theoretically possible ways to have multi-hit enemy "arena" interval spaces in the series, but the games that have attempted them have always wound up having those moments become boring and break up flow. The arena combat would need to be way more rhythmic and continuous for high skill players to be able to get away with it - and even then, the arena would need to be a rare, special event, not a thing that happens five times in every level.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 14, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This Hedgehog 100% wants to gently caress this dude

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Blungus and a Big the Cat joke seem pretty loving unbelievable but also this movie is unbelievably nutty so I don’t know anymore

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dr. Blungus and a Big the Cat joke seem pretty loving unbelievable but also this movie is unbelievably nutty so I don’t know anymore

They're shitposts. He does a bunch of those.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Rude

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

add honey to tsr

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Mikedawson posted:

Here's mine:

Are all those pictures of 3D models? drat.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Buml0r posted:

Here go!

This is very relevant to my interests! Can't wait to hear you cover the argument my sister got into in the letters section over the origins of Grimer Wormtounge.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mikedawson posted:

They're shitposts. He does a bunch of those.

Actually they're called jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sharrrk posted:

add honey to tsr

this