Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its a big swerve, those British units defect and join Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Is there a video wargame forum?

I have a 47% off coupon for Matrix/Slitherine. Is there anything actually worth buying?

I already have War in the East and War in the Pacific Admirals. Neither of which I have ever played.

Is there any other really good game from them that I should get at a discount and then never play? How is that new Strategic Command WWII game?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

Is there a video wargame forum?

I have a 47% off coupon for Matrix/Slitherine. Is there anything actually worth buying?

I already have War in the East and War in the Pacific Admirals. Neither of which I have ever played.

Is there any other really good game from them that I should get at a discount and then never play? How is that new Strategic Command WWII game?

SC WW2 is alright, I don't particularly love it, but its fun. There's a playthrough of it by a goon on the LP subforums. Panzer Corps is dope, but I absolutely love that game. Order of Battle is good, but has too much DLC at too high a price point, imo. Not a superfan of OoB, but that's mainly because it plays very differently from PC and I could never get the hang of it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
World in Flames is the perfect game to buy and never play.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I’m in an online wargaming group and the two most popular games being played at the moment are Strategic Command:World at War and Field of Glory 2.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

I should add - nothing that would give money to people I despise.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The RtW2 demo should be available around noon CST tomorrow (5/14) and will cover 1920-1925; players can choose Britain or Japan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

woo....

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

The RtW2 demo should be available around noon CST tomorrow (5/14) and will cover 1920-1925; players can choose Britain or Japan.

What's the anti piracy like for the demo?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Unimpressed posted:

What's the anti piracy like for the demo?

The programmer personally comes to your house and watches you to make sure you’re not making any copies

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Every ten minutes there’s a prompt to enter the fourth word of the fifth sentence of the page you get when you click the second banner add from the top at http://www.geocities.com/~nws...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SlyFrog posted:

I should add - nothing that would give money to people I despise.

That seems like it would narrow the field to basically nothing. :thunk:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So i got to thinking about wolfpack and the silent hunter series and i realized that the part i enjoyed the most (if i actually stood a chance) was using the deck gun.
Basically i keep wishing i could play the same sort of game, just with a surface warship instead of a sub.

World of warships was a blast for a short time, but the tier grinding and, more importantly, the fact that it was just one-off battles with no aftermath kinda blanded it out for me.

Is there any game out there where I'd get to play as, for instance, the german cruiser Emden during WWI?
Sort of a world of warships type control scheme in the battle, but with the survival elements of having to scramble around in a hostile ocean with less and less friendly or neutral ports to restock in.
Trying to meet up with friendly supply runners or outright raid enemy ports for supplies?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

SerthVarnee posted:

Is there any game out there where I'd get to play as, for instance, the german cruiser Emden during WWI?
Sort of a world of warships type control scheme in the battle, but with the survival elements of having to scramble around in a hostile ocean with less and less friendly or neutral ports to restock in.
Trying to meet up with friendly supply runners or outright raid enemy ports for supplies?

No, because surface raiders uh, didn't perform particularly well and nobody has really made a surface naval combat sim where you only control your own boat for ages... probably because first person ASW is boring, and the number of meaningful surface engagements for any given side can be counted on your feet and hands.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

So i got to thinking about wolfpack and the silent hunter series and i realized that the part i enjoyed the most (if i actually stood a chance) was using the deck gun.
Basically i keep wishing i could play the same sort of game, just with a surface warship instead of a sub.

I mean it's definitely not a sim but Battlestations: Pacific lets you do that kinda

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Destroyer Command was a thing. It just wasn’t very good.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

SerthVarnee posted:

World of warships was a blast for a short time, but the tier grinding and, more importantly, the fact that it was just one-off battles with no aftermath kinda blanded it out for me.

Atlantic fleet kind of does this.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

FYI Grey Hunter the Discord link in the OP doesn't work

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

V for Vegas posted:

Every now and then I reinstall it just so I can solo through Barbarossa. It's a really well-done implementation, I just hope it has AI one day so I don't have to play solitaire :(

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
thanks for the replies, im gonna give battlestations: pacific and Atlantic fleet a try each.
If you think of any other games in this vein please lemme know.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Aurora 4x

Okay, am I best leaving exploring all those jump points once I have a decent military-industrial complex?

GSV Einsteinium ate a bunch of size 11 missiles while innocently poking around a system, and I don't feel entirely up to the task of taking on 8km/s missile boats as yet, as we're still at nuclear pulse engines and pointy sticks.

And they were two jumps from home.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Hav posted:

Aurora 4x

Okay, am I best leaving exploring all those jump points once I have a decent military-industrial complex?

GSV Einsteinium ate a bunch of size 11 missiles while innocently poking around a system, and I don't feel entirely up to the task of taking on 8km/s missile boats as yet, as we're still at nuclear pulse engines and pointy sticks.

It wouldn't surprise me if others do things differently, but I do generally avoid potentially poking a hornet's nest until I have the capabilities to poke it back.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hav posted:

Aurora 4x

Let me introduce you to my very good friend, Ms Minelayer.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Zaodai posted:

That seems like it would narrow the field to basically nothing. :thunk:

I mean in fairness, it really does limit your options. Like I will never buy another Combat Mission (unless, for example, the franchise somehow falls into the hands of people who aren't absolute shitlords).

But I'm a glass is half-full kind of guy. (Not really, but there are some games out there that don't seem to be put out by Confederate sympathizer 68 year olds who charge $15 every three months so the game keeps working with the latest Windows patch).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SerthVarnee posted:

I used to play with Silent Hunter 4 mods that gave you control of the French Surcouf and its ridiculous cruiser-sized guns, as well as extreme versions of the mod that just straight let you control a North Carolina-class battleship. You obviously couldn't submerge, but you did pack a lot of firepower with the main guns slaved to the deck gun interface.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Hav posted:

Aurora 4x

The primary function of a geosurvey ship is to detect danger by exploding. Any scanning of rocks is a bonus.

420 seek out new life, new civilizations, erryday.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 13, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Somehow I’ve made it this far without knowing this: in ATG, how do I tell how many subordinate units a leader can effectively manage? And how do I ballpark how much transport they should have in order to keep their formations supplied?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

SerthVarnee posted:

This has always been a kind of fantasy game of mine. If you make it a more modern ship so that there are radars / sensors, and maybe a helicopter deck, then there could be all kind of fun systems to manage.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Somehow I’ve made it this far without knowing this: in ATG, how do I tell how many subordinate units a leader can effectively manage? And how do I ballpark how much transport they should have in order to keep their formations supplied?

A leader has a 'staff' stat which is how many they can run. If you go over this is massively decreases their experience gain and somewhat decreases the bonus they give. So basically you give them an appropriate number of staff then assign the HQ they are running combat units till the staff utilisation is at 100%. For transport I generally don't give low level HQ's more than a couple of trucks or horses. Units can walk or drive under their own power to their units if they are close enough and you ideally want your HQ's within 3 hexes of any fighting units anyway to get max bonuses. The main HQ gets a good number of trains (~30) and they do the heavy lifting of delivering units to the army level hq's.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Saros posted:

A leader has a 'staff' stat which is how many they can run. If you go over this is massively decreases their experience gain and somewhat decreases the bonus they give. So basically you give them an appropriate number of staff then assign the HQ they are running combat units till the staff utilisation is at 100%. For transport I generally don't give low level HQ's more than a couple of trucks or horses. Units can walk or drive under their own power to their units if they are close enough and you ideally want your HQ's within 3 hexes of any fighting units anyway to get max bonuses. The main HQ gets a good number of trains (~30) and they do the heavy lifting of delivering units to the army level hq's.

Awesome, thanks!

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

fuf posted:

This has always been a kind of fantasy game of mine. If you make it a more modern ship so that there are radars / sensors, and maybe a helicopter deck, then there could be all kind of fun systems to manage.

I realize it lacks a persistent campaign experience but I do have to mention Dangerous Waters. You can control a frigate (and even the Seahawk it launches).

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Saros posted:

I'd like to know more about hq transports. I generally default to a rule of thumb of putting one truck for every ten staff in my hq, I don't think I've ever used horses in an hq.

This is overkill? I didn't even know horses could be used to move supply. How do they differ from trucks, exactly?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Supply isn't moved by the HQ transports normally it's just subformations of units that are drawn as reinforcements. Generally I find lots of trucks is just wasted production and fuel. You CAN move supply around manually but it's generally not necessary.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

http://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/RTW2Demo_Setup.exe

IT BEGINS

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
:joke_about_demo_having_bad_DRM:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Arir Capacity, huh?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Anyone figure out how the hell you get seaplane tenders to actually launch a strike? It keeps complaining that "Strike exceeds deck capacity" even when the sortie size is one (also the 'deck' is the entire ocean??).

I have to say though, I'm enjoying the new fleet exercise feature (even if they do seem unrealistically pricey). It'd be cool if they added a joint exercise feature where you could fight a simulated battle against a foreign navy with low tension or something.

sum fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 15, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I see they spent zero time on the UI. So far, neato.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

What are you talking about? They clearly concatenated those strings, with spaces and everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Loving the text box being bigger the the title box