Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

"This Tweet is no longer available because it violated the Twitter Rules. Learn more"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Maarak posted:

"This Tweet is no longer available because it violated the Twitter Rules. Learn more"

"let's kill all college professors and lawyers"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He put the entire special up on Youtube for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aIdNexGjw0

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
https://twitter.com/NickDiPaolo/status/1126198785183551489

It's telling that his foremost goal is pitching the "intellectual dark web" on his special, and the pitch isn't about funny.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 9, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I forgot who said it but back when you had a bunch of ~alt-right comics~ trying to be a thing the quote I saw that summed it up was 'if you have to pitch your special as about free speech and not about being funny then maybe you're in the wrong job'.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Either I'm out of the loop or Jim Gaffigan being in that at storm is really weird

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

sexpig by night posted:

oh Nick DiPaolo is doing his usual act of 'I peaked when Colin Quinn was a thing but here's my edgy opinions'.

The black lives matter dude is the guy who jumped police tape to steal the confederate flag during protests, he also got murdered last year. To be fair I'm positive Nick just had someone google 'black lives matter' for a pic to use but that kinda is 100% on brand for what kinda dude he is too.

Huh, I didn’t realize he was still alive. Probably thinking of Greg Giraldo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jurgan posted:

Huh, I didn’t realize he was still alive. Probably thinking of Greg Giraldo.

ok so I'm not the only one who thought he died a couple years ago?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Baller Ina posted:

Either I'm out of the loop or Jim Gaffigan being in that at storm is really weird

He's Christian, I guess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Greg Giraldo was funny though

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Brian Reagan is pretty openly a clean comic but not sure he's exactly a right wing guy. Don't think he has an openly conservative etc leaning.

Joy Behar is the resident liberal from some round table chat show.

Think he went for people with political news cycle clout and loving random rear end comedians. Hell Jim Norton is in there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I think he just shotgunned at anyone in comedy with any amount of clout who hasn't blocked him.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Bill Burr is conservative and still funny. I tried his non stand up material like his podcast and was immediately turned off because it's just his conservative viewpoint with out the comedy. He still makes me laugh though. He almost apologises for it talking about growing up being a working class guy from boston.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jippa posted:

Bill Burr is conservative and still funny. I tried his non stand up material like his podcast and was immediately turned off because it's just his conservative viewpoint with out the comedy. He still makes me laugh though. He almost apologises for it talking about growing up being a working class guy from boston.

I feel there's a difference between, like, talking poo poo about the Left and being card-carrying conservative. Burr (and, on that list, Rogan and Norton) do it a lot, but they do it from a point of, like, actually understanding/empathisizing and being frustrated with some aspects of current Left. Both Burr and Rogan vote Democrat-ish, from what I've heard. DiPaolo just has... Foxbrain.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Burr would also have issues with a lot of right wing opinions as his wife is black and his daughter is biracial. I have to imagine that the party containing the most racists isn't quite the party for him.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

ok so I'm not the only one who thought he died a couple years ago?

Thought the same thing for half a sec, but turns out I was thinking of Mike DeStefano.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tony Phillips posted:

Thought the same thing for half a sec, but turns out I was thinking of Mike DeStefano.

oh, that must be who I was thinking of too, which is sad because I always liked his version of 'ey I'm a big angry italian', maybe because he was smart enough to pepper in jokes about his own addiction issues and all so it wasn't just 'everyone but me who cares about things is stupid'.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
People saying Burr is Conservative don't know poo poo. He never once voted consevative as far as anyone knows. He hates Hillary but also hates Trump. Is married to a black woman that is very sensitive about race issues with whom they talk about often on their podcast. He doesn't trust cops. Was an avowed conservative in his young days and moved hard left later on as a comic and moved more towards the center where he probably is now when he started making money.

I doubt he'll stay left with all the money and fame he's getting nowadays. But people trying to say he's right leaning aren't involved or interested in what he has to say as a comic and should shut up.

Sure, he has a right leaning audience and the left hates that, but his act is often about things that people on the right and left should be able to agree on if you're not extremely online. One of his great skills in comedy is actually doing an act that doesn't go on one side at the expense of the other. His material on gun control for example where he admits having a gun in his home, but then starts insulting the NRA people and gun culture because he doesn't have the appropriate gun (according to them in his scenario) in his house.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Odddzy posted:

People saying Burr is Conservative don't know poo poo. He never once voted consevative as far as anyone knows. He hates Hillary but also hates Trump. Is married to a black woman that is very sensitive about race issues with whom they talk about often on their podcast. He doesn't trust cops. Was an avowed conservative in his young days and moved hard left later on as a comic and moved more towards the center where he probably is now when he started making money.

I doubt he'll stay left with all the money and fame he's getting nowadays. But people trying to say he's right leaning aren't involved or interested in what he has to say as a comic and should shut up.

Sure, he has a right leaning audience and the left hates that, but his act is often about things that people on the right and left should be able to agree on if you're not extremely online. One of his great skills in comedy is actually doing an act that doesn't go on one side at the expense of the other. His material on gun control for example where he admits having a gun in his home, but then starts insulting the NRA people and gun culture because he doesn't have the appropriate gun (according to them in his scenario) in his house.

How many conservatives do you know that drive a Prius?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Harminoff posted:

How many conservatives do you know that drive a Prius?

I have no idea what you're getting at.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Odddzy posted:

I have no idea what you're getting at.

Bill Burr is an avid Prius driver, I've never met a conservative that would drive a Prius.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Bill burr seems like the kinda guy who consistently has lovely knee-jerk conservative takes on stuff but just as consistently is getting better about whatever he was lovely about a few years ago

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Harminoff posted:

Bill Burr is an avid Prius driver, I've never met a conservative that would drive a Prius.

He's cares about the environment to a certain extent, sure. But he also has some right-ish leaning views, and some left leaning views publically. Equating the car a guy drives with what party he votes for is a bit extreme in most cases.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm english , saying some one is conservative doesn't mean they are a hard right monster. I wasn't saying he was. Like I said I find him funny and likeable in his actual comedy bits. Please don't over analyse what I said.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Jippa posted:

I'm english , saying some one is conservative doesn't mean they are a hard right monster. I wasn't saying he was. Like I said I find him funny and likeable in his actual comedy bits. Please don't over analyse what I said.

Fair enough man. I apologize. I think I'm just kind of tired of conversations about politics in the only thread on the subject of standup comedy on a Comedy webforum.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's all good mate I won't bring it up in future.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jippa posted:

I'm english , saying some one is conservative doesn't mean they are a hard right monster.

Ah man, you lot should try American politics. Our conservative party is full of literal white nationalists, and the liberal party caters to conservatives!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Burr kind of carries the SOUTH PARK attitude of 'You're all loving dumb' that just comes from being an older white man. But Burr is also quick to put himself down for his older white man attitude. You can see why he attracts lovely people because there's overlap between him and the alt-right views. I think it was Conan where he's talking about things like due process when it comes to things like #metoo and it's like yeah if you don't know any better you would just assume he's one of those guys.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

DrVenkman posted:

Burr kind of carries the SOUTH PARK attitude of 'You're all loving dumb' that just comes from being an older white man. But Burr is also quick to put himself down for his older white man attitude. You can see why he attracts lovely people because there's overlap between him and the alt-right views. I think it was Conan where he's talking about things like due process when it comes to things like #metoo and it's like yeah if you don't know any better you would just assume he's one of those guys.

Yeah, you're pretty much on the money.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I love Burr's impeccable timing and phrasing and self-depreciation, but I also loved those same things about Louis CK.

I'm not saying Burr is CK but I guess more like you can't use comedy routines as a predictor of personality? They're great until they're not, or something?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Burr strikes me as too... working class to have any really weird sexual deviances. If he ever gets arrested, I think it's going to be for finally snapping and assaulting (not sexually) someone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah, my innate classism agrees, he's probably more a volcano of violence rather than a constant of penis handling

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I feel like Burr would get violent for about 3 seconds before laughing at himself for trying to be a tough guy. I can hear him ranting about it on his podcast.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The difference between Burr and DiPaolo is twofold

Burr can be funny

Burr has self awareness

These things are probably not unrelated, I find one of the problems with prominent openly conservative comedians is a lack of self awareness.

I also think, to briefly defend Nick, that he might just be friends with some of those guys and see some crossover with their audiences.

DrVenkman posted:

Part of it is also that Youtubers who have the altright views do that whole "Burr DESTROYS cuck liberals" thing, where they isolate a bit from a set that backs up their views and title a video as such. I think people just assume Burr has those views 100% of the time, which isn't the case.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't think anyone has made direct comparisons between Burr and DiPaolo. Burr is obviously one of the current greats. DiPaolo, not so much.

Anyway, watched the new Jeselnik. Yep, that was pretty Jeselnik. I was a little disappointed there was no out-of-character storytelling like in the last special, I liked that part of it the most.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

In addition to self awareness it also ties into a desire for self-improvement/growth. It's one thing to be self-aware and that's it, it's another to be self-aware and show you have the capacity to learn and evolve. I'm sure Burr has some locked in old crank views, but he's definitely more on the later side. Contrast that with say Dave Chappelle who as recently as his last specials was still firmly in the former camp with "look I respect you gay and trans people trying to change my mind but MAN THAT poo poo GROSS" or whatever it was (that I'm massively oversimplifying).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
a funny thing with burr was how he said in his first special he wouldn't ever get a dog. in the next special he had a dog and said he'd never get married. In the next special he had a dog, was married and said he'd never have a kid in this current world because he's too old, etc... in the newest special he has a dog, a wife and a daughter. As much of a crank that he portrays himself to be, he also does want to improve and bring positivity in his life. I like the fact that although he's negative about a lot of things, he wants to improve himself.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I like the video of Bill Burr stopping in the middle of a set in Philadelphia and just spending the last 20 minutes of his time ragging on the crowd and people from Philly in general. He won the audience over by directly mocking them, and it was very good.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Odddzy posted:

a funny thing with burr was how he said in his first special he wouldn't ever get a dog. in the next special he had a dog and said he'd never get married. In the next special he had a dog, was married and said he'd never have a kid in this current world because he's too old, etc... in the newest special he has a dog, a wife and a daughter. As much of a crank that he portrays himself to be, he also does want to improve and bring positivity in his life. I like the fact that although he's negative about a lot of things, he wants to improve himself.

If you listen to his podcasts the shift since his daughter was born has been pretty noticeable and has been pretty cool to hear. He's taking active steps to better himself - most notable are that it seems he's having some success in reeling in his rage (yes he goes off on rants but nothing like vintage MMP Burr) and his drinking seems to be way under control, both of which are things he specifically links to his daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Odddzy posted:

Pretty much the exact Patton Oswalt trajectory as well if you listen to his entire catalog.