Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also the doomflayer is tiny and has (sick af) animations which make it nearly immune to getting shot at or surrounded

E: incidentally, Eltharion should definitely come with a fire mage hero that can ride a sun dragon :getin:

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I was using rat ogres as Ikit for helping hold the frontlines until I looked at the stats of the doomflayer in comparison and immediately tossed those rat ogres into another army and recruited flayers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Staltran posted:

Sure, but most caster heroes can't get any of those. Skink priests get dinos I think, and amber wizards get hippogriffs, but I think that's it.

Some casters don't need mounts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I was using rat ogres as Ikit for helping hold the frontlines until I looked at the stats of the doomflayer in comparison and immediately tossed those rat ogres into another army and recruited flayers.

Doomflayers out-everything-ing Rat Ogres is why Moulder needs a Workshop equivalent.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
rat ogres do seem very fragile. I guess not everything can be vanilla crypt horrors but there doesn't seem to be much point to them

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Staltran posted:

Sure, but most caster heroes can't get any of those. Skink priests get dinos I think, and amber wizards get hippogriffs, but I think that's it.

Chaos sorcerers get manticores

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
They’ve got a pretty hefty charge bonus and decent speed, I like smashing them into flanks repeatedly.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I wish chariots had the ability to smash right through infantry without even trying like doom flayers do. I'll have them charge a block of infantry and the next thing I know they are on the other side of it, wheeling back around for another charge. This is without having to rapidly click on the other side of the unit over and over again immediately after they make contact. Sometimes the flayers just keep going because why the gently caress not.

Which is crazy, doom flayers are actually good stuck in but are also able to do what a chariot needs to even function without the micro.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

KPC_Mammon posted:

I wish chariots had the ability to smash right through infantry without even trying like doom flayers do. I'll have them charge a block of infantry and the next thing I know they are on the other side of it, wheeling back around for another charge. This is without having to rapidly click on the other side of the unit over and over again immediately after they make contact. Sometimes the flayers just keep going because why the gently caress not.

Which is crazy, doom flayers are actually good stuck in but are also able to do what a chariot needs to even function without the micro.

Agreed, chariots are strong anti infantry, but I can't see anyway to use them without having to spend all battle microing them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I dont know posted:

Agreed, chariots are strong anti infantry, but I can't see anyway to use them without having to spend all battle microing them.

I think that’s intentional. The good ones absolutely dumpster infantry (hello ilithmar chariot, world’s most underrated unit) but they need a shitload of attention so you only take a few instead of just stacking them.

But the doomflayers’ animations on top of their stats make them like, tomb scorpion-chariot combos. They can be micro’d to good as hell effect but you can also just fire-and-forget them. And their animations and the fact that they are tiny targets compared to real chariots or monsters means they are really hard to actually hit with a counter. You can swamp them with cav but that basically deletes the cav for one doomflayer unit.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

rat ogres do seem very fragile. I guess not everything can be vanilla crypt horrors but there doesn't seem to be much point to them

They are monstrous Infantry, which means they have high weight, so they will stop stuff like Cavalry, chariots, monsters and lords with mounts from abusing your infantry army with hit and run.

Use them with support to kill whatever your find annoying in the other army.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah Rat Ogres mostly serve to make sure Chariots/Cav/Monsters don't just run rampant in your back line. They're fast and have a ton of mass so they can hold them in place to stop them from brutalizing guns/artillery etc.

I never make a Skaven army without them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also the doomflayer is tiny and has (sick af) animations which make it nearly immune to getting shot at or surrounded

E: incidentally, Eltharion should definitely come with a fire mage hero that can ride a sun dragon :getin:

Eltharion would start with his bff Loremaster Belannaer. Yvresse doesn't traditionally have many fliers around since it's impossible to see where you're going in all the chaotic mists.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

Eltharion would start with his bff Loremaster Belannaer. Yvresse doesn't traditionally have many fliers around since it's impossible to see where you're going in all the chaotic mists.

I mean as a unit in his lord pack, not necessarily as his starting hero.

Although Yvresse does have one flier :getin:

E: Yvresse’s whole gimmick of “we have the best militia” is already Tyrion’s thing and there are no Yvresse units other than theoretical RORs so Eltharion would kinda have to just bring “some other elf stuff” in his lord pack.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 12, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Militus Immortalis took over Recruit Defeated LLs, both the original and the Mixu addon.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1736529254

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1739504067

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I started my Alarielle campaign again and it's going much better now that I've just started beating the poo poo out of other elves and ignoring those getting smashed by chaos/blood cruises.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JBP posted:

I started my Alarielle campaign again and it's going much better now that I've just started beating the poo poo out of other elves and ignoring those getting smashed by chaos/blood cruises.

Yeah blood cultist Alarielle who assumes suzerainty over Ulthuan by loving killing any stupid elves who oppose her is pretty much the best way to play her, especially since she takes penalties if Ulthuan is compromised and the other elves are honestly absolutely terrible at stopping that from happening.

Trying to be peaceful and going for confederations is a terrible garbage strategy unless you're either going for some kind of roleplay run(like playing the Empire as it's intended to be in the fluff) or playing a faction that mechanically forces the issue like Bretonnia. Getting the AI to confederate is a huge crapshoot and takes a lot of time and resources that you could instead put into taking their poo poo.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Azran posted:

Regional Recruitment Overhaul. You can use it without CFU, it will just make all units available everywhere but you can just manually pick and choose. With CFU (which hasn't been updated) it will restrict them to their respective regions.

Works for the Empire and Bretonnia. Hopefully the author adds Solland someday.

Oh nice, thanks! Enjoying my new campaign with elector counts using appropriately garbed troops.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Kanos posted:

Yeah blood cultist Alarielle who assumes suzerainty over Ulthuan by loving killing any stupid elves who oppose her is pretty much the best way to play her, especially since she takes penalties if Ulthuan is compromised and the other elves are honestly absolutely terrible at stopping that from happening.

Trying to be peaceful and going for confederations is a terrible garbage strategy unless you're either going for some kind of roleplay run(like playing the Empire as it's intended to be in the fluff) or playing a faction that mechanically forces the issue like Bretonnia. Getting the AI to confederate is a huge crapshoot and takes a lot of time and resources that you could instead put into taking their poo poo.

Yeah my latest Lucky's Greenskin game had my Azhag empire at 1# strength, and over 200+ rep with a few factions and still couldn't consolidate even though they had 1 settlement and were probably a few turns from the Border Princes wiping them out.

So I instead sent Grimgor to shitstomp all 3 of them since being reliable didn't mean much before.

To whomever said it earlier, having a wolf bonus (something meh and EVASION) generic lord with 20 Wolf Riding Goblins is hilarious in how the game and computer thinks they've got it until they get repeatedly rammed by hundreds of wolves. The worst they ever did was spooky Ghost Dads but luckily the Dwarfs bit off more than they could chew as they were already injured before they picked a fight with the Wolf Pack.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

If you play the vortex campaign like god intended and actually go for your starting resource site, you have to take the peaceful route because you're too busy fighting the endless rebellions and invasions in the Shrine of Khaine to do anything the gently caress else. (the new DLC lords have better campaigns :( )

Also, for me HE have always been the only faction since game 1 that will reliably confederate with the player.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I did a kind of battle of Winterfell yesterday as Kemmler: 2,5 stacks of mostly free upkeep skeles and some cav against Louen with full stack and garrison of that northernmost Bret city. Luckily for me they engaged in a hell war with Norsca that made for a corpse rich environment for a recycler like Kemmler. I mostly ground them down on walls with cav being swept away fast. Almost ended up losing a dragon to two units of Knights Errant.
Is Incantation of Nehek not working on walls something recently added? At least Necromancers healing aura still works.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

This is true, but they only have Assassins and other Skaven heroes are all casters, and the Skaven Warlods dont get a mount, do they? (I've only played Skaven as Ikit Claw and I only have ever recruited a few Assassins and one Plague Priest or whatever and I found him to be dead weight compared to a Warlock or another unit of Jezzails/Ratling Guns/Doomflayers.

edit:
\/\/\/ Oh neat, I should recruit one one day just to try it out. I'm too addicted to Warlocks with crazy fast Warp Lightning cooldown and my Vermintides have never given me one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 13, 2019

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
skaven warlords get a rat ogre mount

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is true, but Assassins and other Skaven heroes are all casters, and the Skaven Warlods dont get a mount, do they? (I've only played Skaven as Ikit Claw and I only have ever recruited a few Assassins and one Plague Priest or whatever and I found him to be dead weight compared to a Warlock or another unit of Jezzails/Ratling Guns/Doomflayers.

Warlords can ride a giant rat ogre which is... fine. Plague priests (and grey seers) can ride chariot-style mounts that are pretty dang good. Or were good before the magic of the doomflayer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Warlords can ride a giant rat ogre which is... fine. Plague priests (and grey seers) can ride chariot-style mounts that are pretty dang good. Or were good before the magic of the doomflayer.
Indeed, I briefly tested out the Screaming Bell once and it seems good, but isnt great compared to a Dragon or a Dinosaur. None of the heroes get any sort of mount though, right? I know that Brettonian and Empire heroes (including casters) can get Horse and Pegasus mounts, so I dont see why, considering no other Skaven heroes get mounts, the Warlocks couldnt at least get Doomflayers. I agree that a Doomwheel for them would be a bit much, unless they give 'em worse stats compared to Ikit's/Warlock Masters (they're just Engineers rather than Masters, you see :v: )

I may also be a bit biased because I am loving playing as Skaven so much right now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean as a unit in his lord pack, not necessarily as his starting hero.

Although Yvresse does have one flier :getin:

E: Yvresse’s whole gimmick of “we have the best militia” is already Tyrion’s thing and there are no Yvresse units other than theoretical RORs so Eltharion would kinda have to just bring “some other elf stuff” in his lord pack.

Yvresse and Saphery are pretty much a team with all the waystone shenanigans and mages being essential to basically not die there. High Elves are missing generic mage lords (for Saphery & Caledor) besides Eltharion himself, and those silly sky chariots.

While Nagarythe and Tiranoc fell into the sea, Yvresse is just empty of its people. Big empty post-apocalytic cities with more daemons than elves. Not sure where this became "good militia" as there's barely a citizenry to draw from.

Cothique and Lothern are the professional army regions. The rest are hobbyists.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you play the vortex campaign like god intended and actually go for your starting resource site, you have to take the peaceful route because you're too busy fighting the endless rebellions and invasions in the Shrine of Khaine to do anything the gently caress else. (the new DLC lords have better campaigns :( )

Also, for me HE have always been the only faction since game 1 that will reliably confederate with the player.

I've never even been close to a rebellion. I've just been buying happy populace by taking whatever nets shitloads of influence on the early random event thing and constantly having Gaye Lord Fauntleroythuan of the Very Annoying Vale hang out in Tiranoc talking poo poo about how much chariots suck before skipping out on the wine bill.

E: he's actually MVP. Vashnaar showed up and I made them pals. They went and beat up Lothern for a while instead and I back capped more inner towns. He rode with my second army to finish off the blood cruise once (in a chariot I presume he borrowed) and he always returns to The Salvation Isles at the end to regale them with more fantastical tales! He's also immortal now and basically a small time deity. The elven god of minor inconveniences.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 13, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JBP posted:

I've never even been close to a rebellion. I've just been buying happy populace by taking whatever nets shitloads of influence on the early random event thing and constantly having Gaye Lord Fauntleroythuan of the Very Annoying Vale hang out in Tiranoc talking poo poo about how much chariots suck before skipping out on the wine bill.

that is still one of my favorite agent comparisons

this is an Assassin of Khaine, hurled into a cauldron of boiling blood as a newborn and tutored in all the arts of the God of Murder since he was old enough to walk

this is one of the lesser nobility of Ulthuan, who knows he will never inherit anything unless a long list of very long lived people have very convenient accidents.

they can profitably compare notes on how you kill people

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

Yvresse and Saphery are pretty much a team with all the waystone shenanigans and mages being essential to basically not die there. High Elves are missing generic mage lords (for Saphery & Caledor) besides Eltharion himself, and those silly sky chariots.

While Nagarythe and Tiranoc fell into the sea, Yvresse is just empty of its people. Big empty post-apocalytic cities with more daemons than elves. Not sure where this became "good militia" as there's barely a citizenry to draw from.

Cothique and Lothern are the professional army regions. The rest are hobbyists.

Lothern's gimmick is the units that have Lothern in the name. Cothique's is being home of the power twins and Boats Who Don't Appear In This Game. Every other High Elf kingdom has at least one unit dedicated to it. Yvresse has no units to its name. Its gimmick has always been that it has the best milita.

Yvresse: "The people of this land raise regiments of some of the most determined and steadfast warriors in Ulthuan, as befits the homeland of Eltharion and so many other paladins. The favoured weapon is the spear, and the warriors fight shoulder to shoulder with almost unshakable discipline."

Cothique: "To survive in such waters requires great skill, but the Elves of Cothique are the finest sailors in the world."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Cothique: "To survive in such waters requires great skill, but the Elves of Cothique are the finest sailors in the world."
Is poo poo like this why all of Ulthuan is listed as red habitability for all non-elves (other than undead, I guess?)?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's not really communicated in the game but outside of the inner kingdoms, Ulthuan is kind of a shithole.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azran posted:

It's not really communicated in the game but outside of the inner kingdoms, Ulthuan is kind of a shithole.
Oh, huh. I know next to nothing about the lore so I had no idea, hah. I was just surprised that even for Skaven, it seems like the whole island is red. And in Vortex there are those islands off the south coast of Not-Africa that are red to Skaven but the Elves live there and seem not to care.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So you know how dark elves are evil and bad? They are the same race as high elves but without the white washing.

Both absolutely look down upon lesser creatures which is everyone else. They also look down upon their own kind but normally from very tall towers, some times menacing with spikes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

that is still one of my favorite agent comparisons

this is an Assassin of Khaine, hurled into a cauldron of boiling blood as a newborn and tutored in all the arts of the God of Murder since he was old enough to walk

this is one of the lesser nobility of Ulthuan, who knows he will never inherit anything unless a long list of very long lived people have very convenient accidents.

they can profitably compare notes on how you kill people

This is a Gobbo. He'll stick 'em good.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Most of Ulthuan and those islands are the "Temperate Island" climate, and there isn't really much reason outside of balance why it would be less habitable for humans and Skaven than deserts. There are lions and stuff but there's probably dangerous stuff in the forests of the Empire too. Every faction is suited to the area it starts in and most of the nearby areas, and maybe you have a designated enemy whose lands the game encourages you to take.

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Climate
According to the graph, it seems like savannah is the most agreeable to the largest number of races. It looks like the less jungle-y parts of Lustria and the Southlands, rather than what I usually think of when I think "savannah."

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 13, 2019

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I haven't followed this games updates too closely, did I hear that they are gonna do an update for Empire in the ME campaign? I've been wanting to start one as them but if so, I'll wait.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They haven't announced it yet, but everyone is assuming/hoping one will happen for them and/or the Greenskins whenever the next big update is.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh, huh. I know next to nothing about the lore so I had no idea, hah. I was just surprised that even for Skaven, it seems like the whole island is red. And in Vortex there are those islands off the south coast of Not-Africa that are red to Skaven but the Elves live there and seem not to care.

The mountains of Ulthuan are full of Chaos-tainted monsters like chimeras and manticores, among others. Yvresse is a desolate realm where you can still find daemonic activity here and there. Nagarythe is an inhabitable wasteland where nothing thrives and people are constantly having to deal with Druchii assailants. Since you can't tell a Dark Elf from a High Elf at a glance, you have Malekith's spies and assassins roaming around the isle. I mean, Tyrion's made-up squire for WH2 dies by being ambushed by Dark Elves while in Ulthuan. :v: Tiranoc had most of its territory consumed by the sea so what's left is a shade of its former glory, Chrace has the titular lions roaming around (among with other beasts from the Annulii Mountains). Speaking of the Annulii, the lore compares it to the realm of Chaos in the sense of its reality-warping capabilities and the Inner Kingdoms have to deal every now and then with some abomination that made its way down. Cothique has towering cliffs, dense mist everywhere and sea serpents roaming around. Oh and if I remember correctly the Vortex may be affecting the birthrate of the elven population.
Ulthuan is a place gone to poo poo.

That said, it's neat that you can't use Underway stances in Ulthuan because it's floating, not actually connected to the land mass of the world.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Isn't the main reason why Ulthaun is almost uninhabitable by Skaven the fact that it is pretty much a thin layer of soil and rocks that floats above water due to magic vortex made out of demons right underneath it, so there is no real place for Skaven to dig in and build their underground cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Christmas posted:

Most of Ulthuan and those islands are the "Temperate Island" climate, and there isn't really much reason outside of balance why it would be less habitable for humans and Skaven than deserts. There are lions and stuff but there's probably dangerous stuff in the forests of the Empire too. Every faction is suited to the area it starts in and most of the nearby areas, and maybe you have a designated enemy whose lands the game encourages you to take.

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Climate
According to the graph, it seems like savannah is the most agreeable to the largest number of races. It looks like the less jungle-y parts of Lustria and the Southlands, rather than what I usually think of when I think "savannah."
Oh that is really cool, I am glad I asked about it because I never saw that page before and for some reason I love looking at that kind of stuff.

Azran posted:

The mountains of Ulthuan are full of Chaos-tainted monsters like chimeras and manticores, among others. Yvresse is a desolate realm where you can still find daemonic activity here and there. Nagarythe is an inhabitable wasteland where nothing thrives and people are constantly having to deal with Druchii assailants. Since you can't tell a Dark Elf from a High Elf at a glance, you have Malekith's spies and assassins roaming around the isle. I mean, Tyrion's made-up squire for WH2 dies by being ambushed by Dark Elves while in Ulthuan. :v: Tiranoc had most of its territory consumed by the sea so what's left is a shade of its former glory, Chrace has the titular lions roaming around (among with other beasts from the Annulii Mountains). Speaking of the Annulii, the lore compares it to the realm of Chaos in the sense of its reality-warping capabilities and the Inner Kingdoms have to deal every now and then with some abomination that made its way down. Cothique has towering cliffs, dense mist everywhere and sea serpents roaming around. Oh and if I remember correctly the Vortex may be affecting the birthrate of the elven population.
Ulthuan is a place gone to poo poo.

That said, it's neat that you can't use Underway stances in Ulthuan because it's floating, not actually connected to the land mass of the world.
Ah so its kinda a "thar be dragons" rather than "it looks the same but is completely different because reasons."

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 13, 2019