Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chaotic Flame posted:

So I picked up the expansions I didn't have (Monks, Horse, Holy Fury, another one I'm forgetting) and booted this up for the first time in years. I reloaded my old save and I've forgotten EVERYTHING. Also, did a DLC mess up my save because I'm the emperor of Francia but everything is Gavelkind and I'm 99% sure I wasn't Gavelkind last time I played?

I'll probably putz about in this file since I only have a few generations left until the end but any good quick resources to refresh my brain on stuff, especially the new stuff?

All that DLC plus updates probably broke your save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My White Hun game trickles slowly on.
My second ruler, who inherited that one County aged 4 years old, finally croaked at 73.
I'd switched to Ultimogeniture as his last legitimate child was Quick and had good Diplomacy and Intrigue and my court was so big that my ruler hadn't had any kids in like 20 years or so.
Because of that, I didn't bother losing the Concubines.

Obviously, I just sort of stopped paying attention to some things, like a few children and grandchildren dying, but the game didn't. I got the message that my wife was pregnant and shortly afterwards, got another message that one of my concubines was pregnant.
Lo and behold, shortly after a new son was born, my ruler shuffled off, leaving his youngest child with a 15-and-a-half year regency to look forward to.

That said, I did make the Quick kid the Regent, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some :ese: yet to come.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Coolguye posted:

yes

it means you made it weird

e: to be slightly less flippant

i was responding with a supporting anecdote to a post that said "it's really hard to handle religious stuff such that it both feels respectful and is real historically while also making sense in the context of the game", basically agreeing with the sentiment and you responded with a thing that came off as a moralizing "WELL ACTUALLY" indictment even though fundamentally we disagree on nothing

and it's like

that got strangely hostile really fast, is this going to turn into a who can be more woke slapfight? what is even going on, this is weird now, can we not please

HIs response was perfectly normal, dude. If you think he misread the intent or tone of your post, there's a million better ways to handle that than whatever the gently caress this is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The distinction between heresy and separate religion probably matters a lot more for Islam than it does for Christianity as well, since an infidel is just another taxpayer whereas a heretic is directly challenging the legitimacy and structure of the political system they're under.

Sounds like an honest mistake that Paradox should definitely correct. Or maybe it's a heresy because they needed to fill out more heresies for Sunni and they were lazy. There's a pretty amazing amount of information and research packed into this game, but there's still always going to be issues. Maybe if they implement pops in CK3 they can have better handling of minority groups.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can see Paradox making a pragmatic decision about the inclusion of the Yazidi faith - grouping it with Islam on a geographical basis.
I mean, it was 2 years after the game came out that Daesh started their genocide, and prior to that Saddam had largely ignored them.

It does stick out these days, though.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
ive managed to become king of ireland in one game and i have come to the conclusion that this game is badass

what are the general goonpinions on the other grand strategy games paradox has put out? ive heard imperator is a bit of a stinker at the moment but otherwise im pretty clueless

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

HIs response was perfectly normal, dude. If you think he misread the intent or tone of your post, there's a million better ways to handle that than whatever the gently caress this is.

PizzaProwler posted:

By my interpretation, you're the only one getting pissy. Their post was just agreeing with you and providing extra context.

loving lol this is exactly the sort of poo poo i was talking about, thanks for justifying my fear of where this was going

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Charlie Bobson posted:

ive managed to become king of ireland in one game and i have come to the conclusion that this game is badass

what are the general goonpinions on the other grand strategy games paradox has put out? ive heard imperator is a bit of a stinker at the moment but otherwise im pretty clueless

All the other paradox games look similar to CK2 (with the same type of map and pausable real-time style), but none of them really play it like it. CK2 is the only Paradox game with such a deep character system. Many of Paradox's other games, like EU4, don't have characters at all. The rest of their games are less about intrigue and more about conquest and map painting.

Europa Universalis 4 is my favorite paradox game. The general opinion here though is that it's heavily bloated. After years of DLC, it has a lot of features that demand the player's attention but don't do much beyond adding a few percents here and there to your nation's capabilities. It also has the highest number of "required" DLCs out of all the paradox games, though the devs have been chipping away at that issue by offering core expansion features for free (such as estates and the provincial development buttons). The bloat may also make it harder for newcomers to get into, but you should expect a similar challenge for just about all of their other games.

Anyway, I like EU4 a lot because in my mind, it strikes close to the perfect balance between warfare and domestic management. I genuinely enjoy the warfare, though I know not everyone does. And these days, there is a lot of regional flavor which allows for some pretty good replayability. The game is pretty good at stringing the player along with a series of goals to accomplish every campaign. Completing missions, enacting historical decisions, and forming new nations triggers some primal pleasure sensors in my brain. The game is basically crack to me.

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.
Regarding marriage shenanigans, I'd like to make sure I'm not about to make a huge mistake. As King of Ireland, I have a landed heir, married to someone with a claim to the kingdom of Denmark. If I press the claim and win, she then becomes Queen, and not a vassal of mine because of this. My Son then moves over there to her court, correct? I have regulated inheritance, so would that mess with him inheriting Ireland from me, and would their son be able to inherit both titles? It's a regular marriage, not matri.

I've never pressed a claim on a whole kingdom before. Can I do this without losing my heir and putting someone else on a throne I can't do anything with.

Edit: Game is fun as heck, but I wish I hadn't picked ironman for my first proper play through.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You don't need to worry about him being disqualified, that law only applies to characters who are landed outside your realm. Go ahead and press the claim.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 13, 2019

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Spider Plant posted:

Regarding marriage shenanigans, I'd like to make sure I'm not about to make a huge mistake. As King of Ireland, I have a landed heir, married to someone with a claim to the kingdom of Denmark. If I press the claim and win, she then becomes Queen, and not a vassal of mine because of this. My Son then moves over there to her court, correct? I have regulated inheritance, so would that mess with him inheriting Ireland from me, and would their son be able to inherit both titles? It's a regular marriage, not matri.

I've never pressed a claim on a whole kingdom before. Can I do this without losing my heir and putting someone else on a throne I can't do anything with.

Edit: Game is fun as heck, but I wish I hadn't picked ironman for my first proper play through.

Your landed heir should remain your vassal. He'd only move courts if he was landless. Regulated inheritance only prevent territory from leaving your realm, so it'll be fine. Your strat here is solid as your grandson will indeed potentially inherit both titles. DO mouse over the kingdom of Denmark title and check its succession laws. For the record even if your heir was landless and joined his wife's court he'd still return to your control on the kings death and take up the throne of Ireland, while still being married to a foreign queen. (And magically make babies long distance.)

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

kingturnip posted:

I can see Paradox making a pragmatic decision about the inclusion of the Yazidi faith - grouping it with Islam on a geographical basis.
I mean, it was 2 years after the game came out that Daesh started their genocide, and prior to that Saddam had largely ignored them.

It does stick out these days, though.

Both of the Sunni heresies are weird as hell inclusions and obviously only there because the devs couldn't think of anything else.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No Pants posted:

Both of the Sunni heresies are weird as hell inclusions and obviously only there because the devs couldn't think of anything else.

Shia's not a weird inclusion. :v:

Mechanically, the main purpose of heresies is to give your court chaplain some crazy ideas to convert to out of the blue, or a way to randomly pop religions into existence in counties to mess with your national cohesion. Otherwise it's just another religion that can spread or induce revolts like any other.

They also represent alternative philosophies and such to the mainstream branch of the religion, but Islam kinda already has that represented in its theological school traits.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shia's not a weird inclusion. :v:

Mechanically, the main purpose of heresies is to give your court chaplain some crazy ideas to convert to out of the blue, or a way to randomly pop religions into existence in counties to mess with your national cohesion. Otherwise it's just another religion that can spread or induce revolts like any other.

They also represent alternative philosophies and such to the mainstream branch of the religion, but Islam kinda already has that represented in its theological school traits.

Yeah, the different sects of Islam should play the role of 'heresies' in the Muslim world; Sunni and Shi'a can already holy war each other, so they're already most of the way there, they just need some events to have characters switch sect when their own's MA gets low. As it is, the Muslim 'hereisies' are either bizzare (anachronistic Sufi movements) or offensive (Yazidi and Druze).

(And I'd like to see the Kharjirites as a society, not a sect - some sort of cross between the Satanists and the Assassins...)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wow, the Pope seems hardcoded to just demand the absolute worst thing to lift excommunication. "I see you have 300 gold left. Pay me 400." "I see you've been in a 10 year struggle to sire an heir. I demand your celibacy."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Wow, the Pope seems hardcoded to just demand the absolute worst thing to lift excommunication. "I see you have 300 gold left. Pay me 400." "I see you've been in a 10 year struggle to sire an heir. I demand your celibacy."

Money demands/costs usually scale to your yearly income.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's a combination of opinion and income.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DeathChicken posted:

Both are better than "go to war against all of Iberia, King of only Wales."

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hi friends! I've never been very good or experienced at CK2 but I enjoy it, and I'm trying my hand at playing a merchant republic for the first time (I'm playing as Gotland in the 1066 start and I'm missing a few of the more recent DLCs). Is there a guide out there to help me along? Most of what I can find no longer seems to be applicable to the current iteration of the game. So far I've managed to build a few trade posts and the King of Sweden really likes me and I think my son will probably win the election (though I have no idea when said election will be).

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 13, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Montalvo posted:

Hi friends! I've never been very good or experienced at CK2 but I enjoy it, and I'm trying my hand at playing a merchant republic for the first time (I'm playing as Gotland in the 1066 start and I'm missing a few of the more recent DLCs). Is there a guide out there to help me along? Most of what I can find no longer seems to be applicable to the current iteration of the game. So far I've managed to build a few trade posts and the King of Sweden really likes me and I think my son will probably win the election (though I have no idea when said election will be).

the election happens on your current player death. all succession happens when your current character dies, there is no resignation mechanic (except for suicide) so as to clamp down on power gaming

as a merchant republic just make sure your trade posts all contribute to a contiguous single large trade zone and also have as big of a retinue as you can afford. and constantly murder the other patricians, all of the time. merchant republic gameplay encourages you to be as big of a scheming rear end in a top hat as possible, and the patrician electoral succession mechanic is way easier if you're eternally butchering your competition for the big chair

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile in Ireland, the king's ever-looming brother got caught in a plot, so I decided to go ahead and spring an arrest on him that I knew would fail, beat him and put him on house arrest where he wouldn't turn up with a 15 man faction while my pants were down. All good, except the next sequence goes

A) King finally pops out another child (wife finally died in the Oubliette at 61). Yet another daughter, youngest, so new heir.

B) King falls ill.

C) King almost immediately dies.

Sooooo, current situation is there is a 1 year old Queen of Ireland, her toddler sister who will likely hate her for getting booted off of the throne, and finally an inherited war, the kids versus their uncle. There could be a movie made about this.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Regarding merchant republics: another advantage to killing the other patricians is that if you're the doge (or in your case the lord mayor) and you kill the last possible inheritor in a family, you get all their money. Their trade posts also go to the other patrician families (including yours), but I've never been quite sure how they divide them up. Hopefully somebody else can explain that better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PizzaProwler posted:

Regarding merchant republics: another advantage to killing the other patricians is that if you're the doge (or in your case the lord mayor) and you kill the last possible inheritor in a family, you get all their money. Their trade posts also go to the other patrician families (including yours), but I've never been quite sure how they divide them up. Hopefully somebody else can explain that better.

they are assigned to the surviving families with the family with the least number of trade posts getting preference. so basically the meta is to let a family get up to 4 trade posts and then murder them all to make sure you get a trade post out of the deal.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

luxury handset posted:

all succession happens when your current character dies, there is no resignation mechanic (except for suicide) so as to clamp down on power gaming

There are a couple of other ways (lose certain revolts), but yeah the normal way to change rulers is to die. The revolt loss method is mostly useful for government swap shenanigans.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's also helpful for making an immortal ruler step down. it's pretty nice to get an immortal ruler up to like 30 learning, then force them to step down and give them a random baron level title to keep them around. there, you now have a loving incredible physician for the rest of your game.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

it's also helpful for making an immortal ruler step down. it's pretty nice to get an immortal ruler up to like 30 learning, then force them to step down and give them a random baron level title to keep them around. there, you now have a loving incredible physician for the rest of your game.

Now if only I could get immortality :smith:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Coolguye posted:

I never thought about turning my old ruler into the court doctor, that's a great idea. Your immortal doctor is guaranteed to live long enough to get the physician trait, and if you were able to pick up mystic as well you'll end up with a crazy good doctor forever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

binge crotching posted:

I never thought about turning my old ruler into the court doctor, that's a great idea. Your immortal doctor is guaranteed to live long enough to get the physician trait, and if you were able to pick up mystic as well you'll end up with a crazy good doctor forever.

just take the time to make them a hermetic and choose mystic as your hermetic art :getin:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I once got an event from buying indulgences where the Pope wanted me to abdicate in favor of my heir. I was Basque and my heir was a young daughter so I wasn't quite ready to do it in that situation. But it was a surprising choice to see.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, the Pope can ask for a lot of things. Money, the pressing of papal claims, prestige, abdicating to your heir, adopting gavelkind, artifacts, adopting papal investiture, the return of de jure vassals.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The trick is to switch to free investiture after coming of age, because the Pope will almost always ask for you to switch it back for the coronation.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Funky Valentine posted:

The trick is to switch to free investiture after coming of age, because the Pope will almost always ask for you to switch it back for the coronation.

No, the trick is to tell the Pope to gently caress off and make a new one.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Merchant republic tips

Great, thanks! I'll start some assassination plots. I really enjoy the focus on being a conniving rear end in a top hat (it occurred to me for example that a fun idea might be to try to foment wars starting in provinces where rival families have trade posts so they make less money from them).

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Coolguye posted:

they are assigned to the surviving families with the family with the least number of trade posts getting preference. so basically the meta is to let a family get up to 4 trade posts and then murder them all to make sure you get a trade post out of the deal.

Excellent, thank you. I thought it was something like that, but I couldn't remember the specifics. Do you know if it'll still give you a post if you're at or above your post limit? I mean, I would assume not, but a man can dream.

edit:

With my past two rulers, the pope has asked me to fight wars to restore papal land as well. That one's kind of a pain, but I'm doing well enough with this play-through that it's honestly kinda fun to have something to do.

PizzaProwler fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 13, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I find he always asks me to press papal claims if I'm too small to attack or too large that the war isnt a war.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The most annoying thing I ever had to get a coronation was the Pope asked me to start a war with some Muslim minor on the horn of Africa because he had somehow gained a barony in Roma? The first time I was like uh nah, waited a bit and asked again and he asked the same. I said gently caress it and disregarded for a while. Then when my ruler died I was like oh let's try that again with this guy, but somehow the Muslim still held the barony? I decided okay I guess I'll ship some dudes across the world to resolve this but as soon as I declared war it said it ended inconclusively, and I couldn't get a coronation at all.

Eventually I ended up participating in a crusade in pomerania and starting a new kingdom there, and after having been consumed with internal issues for like 100 years, once trying again for coronation I could finally get it as the Pope possessed Roma entirely again. Dunno what the gently caress was up with that tho

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so what's peoples' hot takes on wonders at this point

i'm convinced that the garden is the best for your first one, because between the fountain of youth and the herb garden it can easily increase your ruler's average lifetimes by 10 years, but i haven't gotten into the others so much

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh dag, I should try the garden some time. I've just built my first grand walls. Completed stage 4 and am now building upgrades. You can make your capital impenetrable with that thing. 6 or 8 upgrade slots and two that I can remember add a combined total of +30% siege defence and some ancillary perks.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Montalvo posted:

Great, thanks! I'll start some assassination plots. I really enjoy the focus on being a conniving rear end in a top hat (it occurred to me for example that a fun idea might be to try to foment wars starting in provinces where rival families have trade posts so they make less money from them).

if you ever wanted to play with intrigue or seduction lifestyle focus, both are extremely powerful in the hands of a patrician

intrigue for obvious reasons, seduction because you want to have a shitload of dynasts and because it's way easier to murder a guy if you're cucking him and can get his wife in on the plot

for real, get all borgia with that poo poo. be as big of a motherfucker as you can. pagans = reaving, patricians = stabfucking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

No, the trick is to tell the Pope to gently caress off and make a new one.

t. Henry VIII