Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Colonel Whitey posted:

I liked Dany's heel turn, just not how they built up to it. The books are going to be good (in my head because they aren't coming out)

Nah, Brandon Sanderson will finish them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Anyone catch that Varys snuck his rings into some cups before he was arrested? Possible poisoning?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

ALso, I'm just glad that we saw a bunch of Wildfire explosions, I thought they had just forgotten about all of it

Probably the best part of the entire episode

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ovenmaster posted:

It's an insane act, but that doesn't mean there isn't some form of logic behind it (even if it's clouded in rage-induced rationalization), or that she's literally insane now. She's not appointing a horse as her advisor and banning the use of pants in the Seven Kingdoms next episode, sorry guys.

Well she can't appoint a horse if Arya's already ridden it out of town.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Delthalaz posted:

I’m surprised and I guess happy that so many people seem to have enjoyed Black Sails a lot more than I did. Whatever floats your boat I guess. I was really offended by that angle because Flint was a huge murdering piece of poo poo and it came across to me as a cynical move to make the audience care about him. When they killed off Vane for no real reason (Flint had been rescued from a worse scenario but and Vane was just like “i must die now to give the people motivation”) I
was just done).

from way back but Flint's motivations make absolute sense and yes, he should be a grey zone anti hero, even if your spoiler wasn't involved his feelings towards the British Empire make all the sense in the world. people don't need to be glossy haired good guys for you to enjoy watching their travails or even for you to enjoy rooting for them, it's a complicated story not a passion play or fairy tale

Black Sails is good after the first seasons and the first season problems actually make a bunch of sense in retrospect, they weren't making this stuff up as they went along. It's clever and good writing for the most part.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

LinYutang posted:

Anyone catch that Varys snuck his rings into some cups before he was arrested? Possible poisoning?

No, that's just him coming to terms with his imminent death.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ovenmaster posted:

It's an insane act, but that doesn't mean there isn't some form of logic behind it (even if it's clouded in rage-induced rationalization), or that she's literally insane now. She's not appointing a horse as her advisor and banning the use of pants in the Seven Kingdoms next episode, sorry guys.

Don't drag Glitterhoof into this trainwreck

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
S8E5 - The long awaited TV adaptation of Trogdor

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

The Glumslinger posted:

Nah, Brandon Sanderson will finish them up

I've liked Sanderson's writing quite a bit. I feel like if the books don't wrap up in GRRM's lifetime some other big deal fantasy writer will step in to finish them, they're too much of a big deal now to leave unfinished. The most likely outcome is GRRM hangs out another 20-30 years and it takes about 20 years for the series to finish.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Azhais posted:

Don't drag Glitterhoof into this trainwreck

Arya's horse will make such a great councilor though.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I do enjoy some people who think the criticism of Dany's psychopathic rampage comes from a love of the character and how she's been ruined and cant be MY QUEEN anymore. I have always thought she was a tyrant who probably shouldnt rule, that she could be too cruel to her enemies and way too unreasonable to ever rule over Westeros which has so many different Houses that need careful management, that the quest for the throne at times came before anything else and she felt like it was her BIRTH RIGHT that therefore made her just as bad as any other king or queen before her.

I liked her good qualities, and she had some, she cares deeply about those around her, she was against the traditional rape and pillage of war as she saw she had a duty to protect her subjects and future subjects, that she cared about the common folk she was liberating etc as she went from city to city, that she truly believed that she would unite everyone under one banner and stop all future wars so there would be no more suffering. These are all idealistic goals, but they have a hint of madness there as it was fuelled by a believe that she and only she could achieve this and anyone who couldnt see that was against her and should probably be removed.

But her downfall and short comings as a queen were always laid bare, her often inability to show mercy to her enemies for example (is that a quality that any other character apart from Ned and Jon has though? I'm not sure) and even as a ruler when she frees the slaves and then moves on expecting them to govern themselves and things to start being all peachy now shes done her part, it showed a naivety of the world and it's expected from a character that grew up with her mad brother telling her their family were destined to rule and they were the only ones who could etc.

Before the massacre and the straight up insanity she's now fallen into, I think if Jon didnt exist, and he's such an outlier out of everyone in the show he's basically Jesus, there are very few people with any sort of power that would probably had done a better job than her. Maybe Tyrion? But he was shown to really not care about the slaves in Essos or Mereen I cant remember which, he would have certainty been more diplomatic than Dany. And it's possible that to be an effective King or Queen in that world you need to be a bit tyrannical without being a full on psychopath. Robert was deemed a good king because he had 9 years of peace under his belt, but he had people working for him like the Mountain etc who committed some pretty awful acts in his name.

I do think that the idea of her on the throne isnt a great one, and i'm happy she wont be queen, but she was never an evil villain. Without the Targ madness, could an argument be made that if she hadnt have destroyed King's landing as she did and instead just took out Cersei and sat on the Iron Throne, she'd have ruled a peaceful dynasty? With everyone united under her rule and the common folk enjoying the most peace they've had in a long long time? She wouldnt have allowed the rapes and pillaging that the many houses did of each others lands in civils wars etc, wouldnt have employed the Mountain or people of his ilk. She would have controlled the Houses with an iron fist sure, she'll burn you or your army if you try anything, but maybe that's what it takes in that world.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Guze posted:

Bran looks into the camera, lowers his rad sunglasses, reveals blue eyes and winks.

Roll credits.

I know this is Bran is Kaiser Soze, but this bis clearly better.

I would respect this so much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

Some random nobles had no power to change the system. Even Danerys with 3 dragons, the unsullied, and the second sons couldn't change the system.

it's because she didn't kill all the former slave holders. she tried to compromise.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rick posted:

I would respect this so much.

It only works for me if there's the Thriller laugh at the end.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Those regular-rear end soliders are likely the type who would kill innocents if given the chance, war brings those people out all the time, it's an element of human nature that sadly some people have in them.

This is also a good summation of where show Ramsay is different to book Ramsay. In the book he's exactly the type you describe here, a piece of violent detritus that floats to the surface when law and order collapse. In any normal time he'd have been stomped on as soon as he reared his ugly head.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Stannis the Mannis was too good for this poo poo show.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dunno season 5-7 were mostly boring bad and now it's off the wall ridiculous bad and it's far more entertaining.

This is the best take. Spectacular stupidity is the best kind of stupidity. 5-7 (and a good chunk of 4) were much worse than this, from a "is it worth it to spend an hour of my life watching this" perspective.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shot:

https://twitter.com/madisynnunan/status/1127767730566754304?s=19

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/Dee_Uh_Kill_Ee/status/1127904723225468928?s=19

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The pacing's wearing a little on me, honestly. Plus in the attempt to make everything seem bleaker than prior seasons (which weren't exactly bright and cheery anyway) the photography has gotten very drab.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I believe a good summation of Danaerys is "When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Just replace "hammer" with "giant fire-breathing dragons".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

She wouldnt have allowed the rapes and pillaging that the many houses did of each others lands in civils wars etc, wouldnt have employed the Mountain or people of his ilk.
Her army is a core of brainwashed fanatic child soldiers, supported by a horde of notoriously rapey slavers and a literal walking WMD.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

out of all the battle scenes this show has had, the only time we had siege equipment it was used defensively and set up outside of walls

like what was the plan last night if the dragon didn't work out

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

tino posted:

Stannis the Mannis was too good for this poo poo show.

gently caress Stannis forever

Shireen :smith:

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
She’s become something of a cultural icon so it was rather brave of them to flush that well known positive image down the can

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bo5avw/this_did_not_age_well_at_all/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Bregor posted:

people wanna talk about character assasination look no further than season 5

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Aaron Rodgers was an extra on last nights episode playing one of the soldiers.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

Those regular-rear end soliders are likely the type who would kill innocents if given the chance, war brings those people out all the time, it's an element of human nature that sadly some people have in them.

But she's been shown in the past to be 100% against this, against the rape and pillaging etc, she stops anyone who tries, she kills those who harm or enslave innocents. Her going on a murder spree against women and children who are fleeing for their lives is a complete 180 from the character.

Some people itt are arguing though that it is pure calculation, and i dont agree with that interpretation, i just said it was calculated as a way to frame it from their point of view as they dont view her as crazy during that time and how even if for arguments sake it was calculated it goes against her characters view on civilians.

I think instead the writers are trying to frame it as she just snapped and yes, is blasting everything she sees, and if that's the case it makes more sense as we can just argue that the Targ Madness got her, but imo the build up to her going full on crazy has been very poor and it came on too suddenly, it needed more building up, but they needed to justify her as being the Hitler of Westeros to make her inevitable demise palatable to the twitter crowd.

Lol no, regular-rear end soldiers do that poo poo because they start believing that they're all the enemy and deserve it anyway. That brutality is okay against the enemy because the enemy deserves it and all of a sudden the definition of "enemy" becomes easier to meet.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

tooterfish posted:

Her army is a core of brainwashed fanatic child soldiers, supported by a horde of notoriously rapey slavers and a literal walking WMD.

She didnt brainwashed them, she gave them a chance to go and be free, they chose to serve under her because she freed them and was freeing millions of people in cities as she went.

Those "rapey slavers" were no more rapey than any other army in Westeros. As shown by Jon's soldiers going on a rape spree in Kings Landing.

Owning a dragon does not make her bad, or evil etc, especially if she uses the dragon to destroy armies any more than someone who invented the first cannon used that against their enemies. Turning those cannons on civilians makes her evil.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

grack posted:

I believe a good summation of Danaerys is "When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Just replace "hammer" with "giant fire-breathing dragons".

Conquest is easy, ruling and stable regimine change is hard.

Really this show low key advocates that war is horrific and spills misery over all, while interpersonal trechery, betrayal, and targeted assassination preserve stability and pave the way to peace.

tl;dr no ISIS if we just set up one of Saddam's less sadistic sons to replace him and shot him with the CIA brain aneurysm ray

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bregor posted:

And this one was an explicit plot point from GRRM.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

And this one was an explicit plot point from GRRM.

Book Mel is gonna burn Shireen on her own without permission while Stannis is of fighting a war. it's kind of a big difference

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
This happens to a lot of characters inexplicably in TV shows. It's a drat trope. They start caring only about the "idea of people." Some nebulous concept like "saving American lives." It's not about actual individuals or really helping people it's about the person's ego. Because what lives? What future generations? Who are these people? They don't actually exist, it's just an idea that the character holds onto to justify the horrible things they do and allow to happen.

Mix that with grief, people knowing Jon is The True Heir, Sansa working against her (because Sansa sees her for what she is), not understanding how local politics works (despite many people trying to explain and who are subsequently threatened with burning), thinking everyone is a slave who yearns for freedom and also will obey her automatically after she "frees" and "helps" them, thinking the King's Landingites support Cersei for not rebelling just because she showed up and declared herself Queen or Everyone Dies (exactly what Cersei did), her great plan of "breaking the wheel" aka burning everyone who isn't immediately loyal and a dragon who prolly sees humans as ants.

The Children of the Forest were absolutely right to create The White Walkers and use them against humanity. The Good Guys lost at The Battle of Winterfell.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm a little cheesed off that the climax of Game of Thrones boils down to "bitches be crazy, amirite?"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Loved the episode. I thought it was stunning visually and overall thought it was phenomenal, and I haven't been that speechless after an episode during the credit roll since Hardhome. And I have basically hated every other episode this season.

I only have a few minor nitpicks:
- Scorpion accuracy. This wouldn't be a problem but is since they were shown to be no-scope headshot sniper rifles last episode.
- Euron appearing out of nowhere by himself super conveniently to fight Jaime.
- Euron running Jaime through on two separate occasions, and Jaime just walking it off. I thought I was watching Monty Python for a second. Alright, let's call it a draw.
- The red keep not having a single scorpion mounted on it.
- Where the gently caress did all of the Dothraki come from??

I mean, that's probably it. The rest I could just let go and enjoy.

I think my favorite part was I love how everyone in this thread is trying to pair up who fights who and who gets the killing blow, and this episode was like "nope, you have a castle keep fall on you, and you over there, you get your head mashed into a wall. Oh, and that army we kept talking about... yeah they die by dragon fire to the back and you never hear from them again, kind of like the Dothraki."

The horror of seeing Dany just doing strafing run after run across the city and torching everything that moves was disturbing as gently caress, and I honestly can't believe D&D actually did that. I figured there was going to be some lazy deus ex machina similar to Arya's killing blow on the NK. I think that was the most shocking part of the episode for me. It basically is setting up everyone vs the Mad Queen next episode.

For every other episode, I basically agree with this thread's sentiments, but gently caress y'all, this episode was great and I loved it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Crimpolioni posted:

Book Mel is gonna burn Shireen on her own without permission while Stannis is of fighting a war. it's kind of a big difference

What? All the articles I've read about it have Stannis doing it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This show basically wasted what could have been a seasons worth of awesome juicy drama involving Westeros not being keen to Danys rule and the dissemination of Jons true lineage being a catalyst to that while Dany grew madder and madder as her rule became unmanageable. Like maybe shed struggle with the disdain from the public of KL/Lords of Westeros bred by Varys that leads to a Baratheon style rebellion to usurp her throne which finally breaks her and leads to her snapping thus burning KL to the ground as the ultimate act of "well gently caress you too then". Just like her father, thus more sensibly framing her turn as The Mad Queen. Then have it end however the show is going to end next week.

Instead they wrote this dramatic turn of events with the finesse and complexity of a WWE storyline.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

grack posted:

If Jon Snow doesn't taunt her with hiding behind her dragon, I will feel cheated.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Guze posted:

Just keep a loving secret Jon. Jon Snow isn't in line for the throne like Aegon.

Really solves the whole not wanting it issue.

I really hope some character will point out that even though Jon's lineage might be different he's still very much the son of Ned Stark, seeing that it's his stupid honesty that destroys everything. He can't keep a secret, he can't reassure his lover, he can't even say "hey let's rule together" or some poo poo when she's most vulnerable and needs support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Jarmak posted:

Lol no, regular-rear end soldiers do that poo poo because they start believing that they're all the enemy and deserve it anyway. That brutality is okay against the enemy because the enemy deserves it and all of a sudden the definition of "enemy" becomes easier to meet.

I get what you're saying that you can be caught up in the frenzy of the moment, and brainwashed into believing those you are killing are subhuman etc, but i guarantee those men who did those things were prone to that sort of behaviour prior to any sort of battle. Plus how is it keeping in tone with the character of Dany as she decides to burn fleeing women and children of a surrendered city? She can't just be excused as caught up in the moment as she's shown carefully watching and contemplating her decision before hand, it isnt like shes burning military targets and not caring if she hits some people along the way.