Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Granite Octopus posted:

no? when was that, 8?

mystes posted:

Don't you mean the start menu? Or did they remove the button too?

Windows 8 removed the start button and replaced it with a mouse gesture. The button returned with 8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Classic Shell and never look back

lol gross why would you do this to yourself

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
stevesi was responsible for windows 8. he was fired for that poo poo. the people that replaced him have also been fired. when you play the game of windows you win or you leave with a multimillion dollar severance package.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol gross why would you do this to yourself

it's the computer equivalent of a face tattoo

given enough time people with terrible decision making skills will out themselves

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lambert posted:

Windows 8 removed the start button and replaced it with a mouse gesture. The button returned with 8.1
Ah, I guess I never actually saw the original version of 8. I must have read about it but forgot because at the time I was determined to just stay on 7 forever.

I just found a video of how it worked in the original version of 8 and it's indeed insane that they actually shipped it in that state, but I guess that was the peak of their bizarre effort to force desktop windows to a tablet interface.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lambert posted:

mouse gestures will forever be my least favorite feature of any operating system

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
don’t forget that in the release version of 8, the target to bring up the start screen was

1 pixel. in the corner.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

and the right side share menu with the power options? also a 1 pixel border down the right edge.

no mouse sticking either so if you had two monitors, good luck

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

you could also bring up a preview of your open windows with another 1 pixel border starting from the top left corner.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

no power or shutdown options in the “start screen”, you Had to bring up the right edge popover.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't want it to fold along just one axis; I want a goddamn Dalípad that I can ball up and put in my pocket.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
you're folding it wrong

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

no, thank you

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mystes posted:

I don't want it to fold along just one axis; I want a goddamn Dalípad that I can ball up and put in my pocket.

Wish someone would ball up your posts and put them in the garbage (where they belong, because your posts are not good).

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

you know the feeling when you hang up on someone while using a flip phone

you could now do that on peoples posts on yospos

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don’t see why writing mmmMmmMmM 3 on a slant is any better than anything else. I assume it looks they are holding it like that because the hinge has little strength and it would just flap around otherwise.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
yes please i'd like to buy the windows tablet that folds in half -- you know the one that can only run uwp apps and whose screen breaks within two days of use.

Fiedler fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 14, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fiedler posted:

yes please i'd like to buy the windows tablet that folds in half -- you know the one that can only run uwp apps and whose screen breaks within two days of use.

lenovo making dreams reality

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
found another vital step to unfuck a fresh windows 10

https://superuser.com/questions/1196618/how-to-disable-internet-search-results-in-start-menu-post-creators-update

there are a lot of these. bad state of affairs.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

why

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

because they can, presumably

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
we flew too close to the sun

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Server 2012 also did the mouse gesture thing and I tried administrating one in a windowed RDP session and it was a bad time.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

infernal machines posted:

lol when microsoft eventually makes one of these, closing and opening it like that will be the only way to turn the pages in their e-reader app

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ah yes the two famous use cases for a bendy tablet

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it should have bent in the other direction, at least then you could play a mean game of head-to-head battleship on it

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Someone should shop this so that when it opens back up it's goatse

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i assume it's no accident how timidly he opens and closes it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

pseudorandom name posted:

if I type “update” into this does it return “Check for updates” or does it return nothing at all like standard Windows?

It will show Windows Updates yes. Actually it shows me a ton of stuff the normal Win10 start menu doesn't

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pseudorandom name posted:

if I type “update” into this does it return “Check for updates” or does it return nothing at all like standard Windows?

The Windows 10 start menu returns "Check for updates" when I type in "update" as the first result.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lambert posted:

The Windows 10 start menu returns "Check for updates" when I type in "update" as the first result.

yeah same

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is certainly supposed to, but i too have had that break in the past. you can try forcing a search reindex v:shobon:v

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
For the longest time i had to type "upda" because typing "update" would have no results

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Perplx posted:

For the longest time i had to type "upda" because typing "update" would have no results

what’s upda?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vomik posted:

what’s upda?

WELL THEN HOW DOES HE SMELL?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

Someone should shop this so that when it opens it's moose milkie, so he closes it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I am now able to tell when O365 updates on OSX have been released because their stupid dogshit updater has managed to deadlock my system for the 3rd month in a row without fail

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's what happens when you use a bad OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

any bad software company (microsoft) can crash a good os if they try hard enough