Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A few weird glitches today on both systems.

PC: couldn’t upload one of my wrestlers, like she didn’t show up as an option on the upload screen. I’m pretty sure I’m not using any mod-specific moves or parts. Granted Rebecca Bunch could use a bit more work. (Still haven’t figured out her entrance theme.)

Also there was the occasional graphical glitch with one guy, like weird tearing at the edges of his frame.

PS4: Exhibition Mode, entrances stopped happening in Arena de Universo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

It may be because the character has a non-default entrance or strike exchange taunt. The vanilla game has a short list of taunts for those sections, but the modpack allows any taunt to be used, but it's not immediately obvious which ones are standard and which ones are modded. If you have The Documentation for the modpack, it lists the vanilla taunts for both sections.

tzirean posted:

I might get into Fire Promoter. I just cleaned out my FPWW subscriptions, who are the best content creators? I don't want to end up with a Shawn Michaels who spends 3/4 of the match throwing shoulderblocks.

Avenger3 and senatorphillips are generally the best modern-day real life character makers. Also desertpunk and captainhowdy.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Takuan posted:

Avenger3 and senatorphillips are generally the best modern-day real life character makers. Also desertpunk and captainhowdy.

Thank you!

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

tzirean posted:

I might get into Fire Promoter. I just cleaned out my FPWW subscriptions, who are the best content creators? I don't want to end up with a Shawn Michaels who spends 3/4 of the match throwing shoulderblocks.

djkm and otaku2255’s edits are good for replacing the default promotions.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

djkm and otaku2255’s edits are good for replacing the default promotions.

I'm not sure what this means, can you explain?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

"Edits" are what FirePro players call what WWE games typically call CAWS. That is, custom made wrestlers.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Edits" are what FirePro players call what WWE games typically call CAWS. That is, custom made wrestlers.

I know, sorry. I'm not sure what "replacing the default promotions" means in this context.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh, presumably he means for promoter mode. Which allows you to replace the default promotions (such as SWE) with your own promotions/stables.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

tzirean posted:

I'm not sure what this means, can you explain?

yeah when you start a promoter game you play as a promotion, then if you want, replace the fake fire pro promotions that you compete against ie im playing as ajpw and the ai is njpw, wwf, wcw, etc..

if you use a controller you can hold both left triggers when selecting difficulty and # of promotions in order to start with more cash and more than six wrestlers

those two editors have lots of edits to fill out the other promotions, in contrast captain howdy has these badass 80s-90s wwf/nwa/wcw edits but they dont always mesh with some other guys japan/lucha edits both in looks and logic

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

TEW2020 has had an interesting feature added

quote:

#38: Stars and attendance levels

Unlike in previous games, attendance levels are now directly impacted by the star names on a show (previously this was limited to figureheads).

One realistic effect from this is that smaller companies who bring in workers with name value will be able to see a noticeable bump in their attendances, making it worth shelling out the extra cash.

This also means that regional stars have more of a place in the game world, especially when it comes to companies vying for position. This opens up new strategic options. For example, stealing a regional draw from a rival can help you break into a new market while hurting them at the same time, or you could make clever use of loans and trades to help you do one-off shows in new markets and still draw.

This will also affect companies who fail to build or protect their own stars - if they end up with a roster short of name value then they're going to see their attendances start to dwindle as the fans have no reason to turn up.

Overall this adds more realism to the game and several new strategic elements.

Between this, being able to pay broadcasters to get a slot that you might not normally get and the pushes & perception system I'm really keen in seeing what else Ryland adds.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm ready for every one of my new feds to slide into MLW oblivion

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:siren: TEW added Dusty Finishes :siren:

quote:

#41: New road agent notes

As you'd expect, there are new road agent notes in TEW2020. The following are some of them:

Double Pinfall: This allows a match to end with a double pin, such as a german suplex where both workers' shoulders are down.

Dusty Finish(es): This allows a finish whereby one worker wins only to then have the previously-bumped referee recover and reverse the decision because of something that happened before. There are two flavours of this note, count out or DQ, which reflect what the reversed decision becomes.

Partner Miscommunication: This allows a finish whereby a worker gets beaten because his or her partner screwed up accidentally.

At Ringside: This simply allows the booker to have a worker specifically appear at ringside. This is a multi-purpose note as it allows you to have extra valets, ringside enforcers, workers scouting future opponents, to specify lumberjacks, etc, etc.

In addition, the Interference finish has been changed so that you select the interferer as part of the note rather than having to do it separately, to save time.

As a related change, by request, two out of three falls matches are now allowed to end in a time limit draw, and so that road agent note is now available in that match type.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Out of those changes, I think I'm most excited about the 'partner miscommunication' thing. The new TEW looks like it could really reinvigorate the series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I like that since its a finish I always had trouble simulating but I also like the extra people at ringside since sometimes you just want someone involved for story purposes. And the wording seems to suggest there's some kind of "Lumberjack Match" setting now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Takuan posted:

Out of those changes, I think I'm most excited about the 'partner miscommunication' thing. The new TEW looks like it could really reinvigorate the series.

Same, I've used the "turn" note and it has never really felt super appropriate for that type of finish.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I like that since its a finish I always had trouble simulating but I also like the extra people at ringside since sometimes you just want someone involved for story purposes. And the wording seems to suggest there's some kind of "Lumberjack Match" setting now.

Heel stables doing bullshit at ringside can now be representing in game, I am a big fan of that development

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna load up death of the territories and run florida into the ground just like the man himself

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's what TEW is all about, baby.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

eventually TEW will be good enough real promoters can use it to gauge how well their house is gonna be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The one thing I'm at peace that Ryland will NEVER figure out is how to make ratings and attendance numbers look any way realistic. I've just accepted it and don't care.

But yeah, I want the company that runs its cards through TEW and then quits before the show finishes so they can see what doesn't work and then cheat and fix it before the game actually moves forward.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

STAC Goat posted:

I always just used “distraction” for that. Assign anyone I want at ringside to distract the opponent

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mikaze going from UUDD jobber to champ is a better story than any actual WWE title scene has been in years

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So in my TEW game I rose from Cult to National, ran an episode of Nitro that got an A, ran my B-show, then fell to Cult again within a week.

This is my least favourite thing about the game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What version are you playing? I want to say Ryland addressed that in more recent versions but giving like a 10% buffer zone after you move up or down a level. And the new gave sounds like it might move away even more from the "popularity" way of things that usually caused that because you just couldn't have enough highly popular talents unless you go out and get new ones.

And B Shows don't even factor in in TEW16.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

STAC Goat posted:

What version are you playing? I want to say Ryland addressed that in more recent versions but giving like a 10% buffer zone after you move up or down a level. And the new gave sounds like it might move away even more from the "popularity" way of things that usually caused that because you just couldn't have enough highly popular talents unless you go out and get new ones.

And B Shows don't even factor in in TEW16.

I just updated to the latest version a week ago, so I’m not sure what happened. Ah well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's weird. I'm almost certain that was a thing Ryland specifically addressed to avoid those "X moves to National/X drops to Cult" situations that were so common.

As long as you set your B Show to be a B show that shouldn't hurt you though. I put on bum shows all the time and they have no effect. The bigger issue might be that your were in a National Battle and didn't have enough stars or something. That was typically the problem, that you just wouldn't have enough over people to carry the requirements when you first jump a level.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s one of those things where you basically have to cap yourself at the lower level then grind your way to a healthy buffer (including making sure your high card is at least at least B+ average in overness) before pulling the trigger.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I wish they didn't immediately jump you to National, if that was the case, and instead had it so you needed to be deep enough into National before your status officially changed.

That said, I guess it does simulate those moments where a single moment pops huge on Twitter and for a brief moment all eyes are on a smaller fed. Then they promptly move on after the initial "neat!" fades.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there is some box you can click to lock you into your level. That way you can build up your ratings until you feel comfortable unclicking and making the jump.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

STAC Goat posted:

I think there is some box you can click to lock you into your level. That way you can build up your ratings until you feel comfortable unclicking and making the jump.

There definitely is. I did that for a while but got antsy to move up in the world, and apparently paid the price haha

Ah well I might just pick up another scenario. Anyone have anything to recommend for TEW16? Generally I like 90s-2000s

Actually, I’ve never tried a TNA scenario before. Anyone know of a good one?

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 4, 2019

Takuan
May 6, 2007

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/wwe-2k-studio-creating-rival-wrestling-ip/

Yukes is looking to make a wrestling game separate from the WWE IP to foster 'internal competition'. It could amount to nothing, but it's an interesting possibility.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

quote:

Another contributing factor is the lack of competition in the wrestling genre, she said. Yuke’s historical rival, WWF No Mercy developer AKI Corporation, effectively left the genre following the release of 2006’s Def Jam: Fight for NY: The Takeover.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Pretty interested in what they can come up with. I haven't really enjoyed the WWE 2k games in a while. They'd need a major overhaul. But them making something detached from the WWE brand is pretty much what I always wanted.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No licence is probably the way to go. They can build a new engine without the pressure of needing to hit a November release window every year and then build the next WWE on that once they've worked poo poo out on the original IP.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'd love a game with the CAW possibilities of the modern WWE games but with fun gameplay.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The big thing I'm worried about IRT TEW 2020 is moddability.
You can't pay me to give a poo poo about the Cornell-verse, the modern day mods are too fluid to be satisfying and I know I'm already going to have to wave goodbye to my favorite historical mods.
So we're gonna have this new shiny toy and no good (for me at least) databases on it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ChrisBTY posted:

You can't pay me to give a poo poo about the Cornell-verse, the modern day mods are too fluid to be satisfying and I know I'm already going to have to wave goodbye to my favorite historical mods.
So we're gonna have this new shiny toy and no good (for me at least) databases on it.

I had a lot of fun importing the modern MMA companies into wMMA and watching UFC completely fall to poo poo immediately.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChrisBTY posted:

There's always a bit of a hump when a new version comes out where everyone's working on converting mods and figuring out how to do it. I have a massive personal database I've moved up from 05 to 13 and I'll try and move it up to 20. It will be a headache and there will be a ton of problems but I'll consider it worth it in the end. Oddly this is part of a pattern I've recognized where when a new game is announced I don't want to get any databases started in the old one because I'm thinking of what I'd do with the new stuff and then I won't play again for awhile when I get the new game because I'm trying to get everything to work right.

It is beyond a doubt the nerdiest, most self indulgent, accomplish nothing thing in my life and has been for almost as long as I can remember.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

PublicOpinion posted:

I'd love a game with the CAW possibilities of the modern WWE games but with fun gameplay.
I'd be happy with Here Comes the Pain with all the current customization options and some other modern improvements, mainly actual table/ladder physics. Even the janky physics from the 2K games because those are funny as hell.

How did this series get so underwhelming right after HCTP? Did the title change to Smackdown vs. RAW somehow cause the suckiness of the RAW games (and actual RAW) to bleed over to the Smackdown series?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

coconono posted:

I had a lot of fun importing the modern MMA companies into wMMA and watching UFC completely fall to poo poo immediately.

wMMA was the most fun booking game I played I gotta get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

algebra testes posted:

wMMA was the most fun booking game I played I gotta get back into it.

I'd throw together poo poo cards just to see how much mayhem the game would let me get away with. I wasn't able to get an openweight intergender grand prix put together tho.