Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zuzie posted:

The earliest iterations of Red and Green didn't really pin down the general sapience of Pokémon. They were more like animals that needed to be controlled through fear rather then trust (a few trainer sprites had them holding whips and even the beta Player character had one as well). Nowadays their general intelligence puts them in between "trained dog" to "adult chimpanzee" or "human child", making these earlier practices barbaric.

Also the early anime (including earlier drafts) was written so that the world was a very "crapsacky" one. People needlessly being jerks to Ash was part of it. Then you have other aspects like parental abandonment being common, poverty being a common social problem, and 10 being the age one is considered an adult (including all its various trappings).

If their purpose was to do some kind of commentary on it, then it didn't work out very well, because all those early episodes about characters being a jerk to Ash are framed as him needing to learn a lesson and not the people doing it. Ash is the one in the wrong who needs to grow up and change, not the guy who's blatantly abusing his Pokemon, not the guy who interrupted his attempt to capture Weedle by swinging a sword at him, causing the Beedrill to attack them, only for said rear end in a top hat to put all the blame on Ash for it.

A lot of the first season is filled with this kind of dissonance between the morals it tries to present and is otherwise excessively cruel, even for the tone Tajiri wanted to present. For what people consider to be the heyday of the anime, it's not very good.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there a website that tells you if a particular move is poo poo or not?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farecoal posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=151

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Farecoal posted:

You can always ask here. And while some of it's niche, watching competitive can help give an understanding of what's good if you disregard things like stealth rocks/spikes since they're less good when your opponents don't constantly switch Pokemon. Unless you go all in with 3 spikes and stealth rocks so every new enemy starts at half hp.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Holy poo poo Diggersby is a nightmare. Worst Pokemon. Worst anything.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Smogon tells you the good move combinations for PvP for a given Pokemon. In a single-player context you don't really need a website for that kind of thing, unless you're trying to speedrun or something.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

A lot of the first season is filled with this kind of dissonance between the morals it tries to present and is otherwise excessively cruel, even for the tone Tajiri wanted to present. For what people consider to be the heyday of the anime, it's not very good.

People remember Indigo League as the heyday of the anime because the first two thirds of Johto were so bad, I suspect.

Edit: Also, might as well repost this:

Silver2195 posted:

Inspired by recent talk in this thread about good vs. bad anime episodes, my top 10 favorite Kanto episodes, in no particular order:
  • Battle Aboard the St. Anne/Pokemon Shipwreck/Island of the Giant Pokemon: I like the way the episodes tie into each other instead of being one-off, as well as the relatively serious/intense tone; there should be more eps like these. These eps also show the advantages of deviating from the games: it allows for surprising developments like the Anne sinking. The subtitles in Island of the Giant Pokemon were a cool idea that I wish they'd used again; did 4Kids nix the idea because they felt it defeated the point of dubbing, or did the writers just never use subtitles again because they forgot about this episode?
  • Charmander – The Stray Pokémon: One of the darker Kanto episodes, but a visceral way (abandonment + threat of death) rather than a "deconstructive" Shudo way. There's a reason everybody remembers this one.
  • The Flame Pokemon-athon: There may be some nostalgia involved here (the first manga I ever read was the Electric Tale of Pikachu adaptation of this episode), but I also like episodes that focus on Pokemon competitions other than conventional fights. Even though it's technically a character-of-the-day episode, it doesn't feel like one.
  • Holy Matrimony!: The episodes that humanize the Team Rocket trio are generally pretty good, even if they tend to introduce contradictions (although that's more of a problem with Jessie-centric episodes than James-centric ones). This is a deeply weird episode full of dark humor, but it also establishes some fundamental points about James' backstory and characterization that the show actually sticks to fairly consistently.
  • The Ultimate Test: Rental Pokemon battles are cool, but I can understand why the anime doesn't show them more often (it would undercut the thematic focus on the bond between Ash and his Pokemon, plus it would take focus away from Pikachu). Like The School of Hard Knocks, this episode focuses on an alternative means of qualification to collecting badges, but here it comes across as a reasonable accommodation for people with health problems or day jobs, as opposed to the more cynical take in The School of Hard Knocks.
  • Volcanic Panic: One of only three times Ash actually earns a Kanto badge by beating the normal gym leader in a fair fight. The focus on exploiting the battlefield is a good example of anime characters using tactics that don't work in the games but still make sense (and follows an infamous bad example in the previous episode: "Pikachu! The horn!").
  • Go West Young Meowth: Another episode that humanizes the Rockets. Also another example of those episodes introducing contradictions (are Meowth normally bipedal or quadrupedal?), but who cares?
  • The Fourth Round Rumble: A tournament episode that features a Bellsprout, of all Pokemon, being totally awesome.

Honorable mentions for Who Gets to Keep Togepi?, Electric Shock Showdown (the one with Lt. Surge), The Ninja Poke-Showdown, and Showdown at Dark City (the Yojimbo one).

And my top 10 least favorite:
  • The School of Hard Knocks: Unlikable characters of the day, a weirdly anti-intellectual message, and cynical undertones that don't really go anywhere. Also Brock's creepiest moment.
  • Hypno's Naptime: There are episodes that revolve around Ash and his friends being idiots, there are episodes that revolve around everyone except Ash and his friends being idiots, and there are episodes like this one, that revolve around everyone including Ash and his friends being idiots.
  • Beauty and the Beach: In questionable taste and rather pointless.
  • The March of the Exeggutor Squad: Another unlikable character of the day.
  • So Near, Yet So Farfetch'd: Unlikable character of the day, weird plotholes.
  • Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon: Rather pointless; as Dogasu points out, we don't really learn anything about the fossil Pokemon in this episode except that they never actually went extinct (which defeats the whole concept of fossil Pokemon). Also a good example of how underutilized Gary is (perhaps because many of the most significant moments involving Blue in the games are tied to the Rocket-centric plotlines the anime omits, so there's not much left for him to do).
  • The Ancient Puzzle of Pokémopolis: Dogasu views this as basically a less coherent first draft of the second movie, but it would be more accurate to say that they're both examples of one of the anime's standard stock plots, and the second movie just happens to be pretty much the only good version of it. (The Advanced Generation episode Me, Myself, and Time is another example, which combines this plot with elements of the fourth movie's plot and manages to be memorably weird, although I still wouldn't call it good.)
  • Dig Those Diglett!: One of the anime's weaker stock plots (humans are disrupting Pokemon's habitats, the adults change their minds after being lectured by Ash and friends). Also has a wonderfully absurd moment where Gary claims that Diglett move at the speed of light, and actually gives the speed of light (in metric units in the original, in imperial units in the dub) to make clear that this isn't even intended as hyperbole.
  • A Chansey Operation: The doctor's behavior towards Misty in this episode makes it feel even skeevier than Beauty and the Beach.
  • To Master the Onix-pected: Meh.

I actually had to stretch a bit to find 10 I really disliked, although there are a couple (like The Problem with Paras and Make Room for Gloom) that fall into the same "meh" category as To Master the Onix-pected. I guess Kanto was better than I remember.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 13, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/rabbit_thing/status/956449854909186048

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Gripweed posted:

diggersby though ??

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ah dang beaten kind of

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Diggersby is an offensive monster and I love him

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Ignite Memories posted:

Diggersby is an offensive cute monster and I love him her.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah with her Hidden Ability she's the best of the regional rodents after Bibarel

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

See how they have to drastically change at least it's face to make it's cute

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
does it have hand bones in its ears

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
they turn into a drill

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Early Pokémon had a nasty tendency to introduce rear end in a top hat characters of the day that caused the episode’s problem, but still blame Ash for it all when he dared react reasonably. Remember that samurai kid from the Buttefree episode? Yeah.

Oh they never really stopped. Remember Paul and his "alternative training?" yeaaahhhhhhhhh

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've never used Diggersby (actually I think that's a lie, I think I used one once for the Cyllage City gym but I had a bunch of other anti-rock Pokémon for that so eh) but I kinda like that it's just this slobby construction worker rabbit with excavator arms for ears.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 13, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And her shiny is based on Bugs Bunny so that's automatic cool points.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

YaketySass posted:

does it have hand bones in its ears

it's a cartoon rabbit

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Diggersby is Homer Simpson after a tragic teleporting accident. I love him.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There is no Pokemon cooler than my diggersby Dirt McGuirk

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pentaro posted:

Diggersby is Homer Simpson after a tragic teleporting accident. I love him.

Simpsons did it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gripweed posted:

See how they have to drastically change at least it's face to make it's cute

Verdict: it's cute

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ignite Memories posted:

There is no Pokemon cooler than my diggersby Dirt McGuirk

Thats a funny way to spell "my Jigglypuff Violent J"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Iron Crowned posted:

Thats a funny way to spell "my Jigglypuff Violent J"

this is truly embarrassing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

indigi posted:

this is truly embarrassing

I've been naming Jigglypuffs Violent J since RBY

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8Wg3vXHfg

:3:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gripweed posted:

diggersby is a disgusting ossan with a belly warmer band which makes it amazing

i hope the fire rabbit follows the same aesthetic, his base form is like "soccer enthusiast," his T2 form is "soccer professional," and his T3 form is "balding fatass alcoholic ex-pro burnout who goes to soccer games to start fights"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

This is great. Joey is a champ

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pokebeach_wpm/status/1128014492623880192

ARMORED MEWTWO

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That looks totally badass.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What else was on that leak that mentioned armored mewtwo months ago

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

What else was on that leak that mentioned armored mewtwo months ago

Metal Snake and Wood Horse legendary
Armored Mewtwo, Charizard, Flygon, Zeraora
Meltan is a part of the armored evolution and legendaries

The only post you can trust because the user didn't have a tripcode.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Interesting to see that they haven't forgotten Ancient Mew. Didn't Shudo admit that the Ancient Mew card was a leftover plot element from an early draft of the second movie that they forgot to take out? The idea of some Pokemon having Ancient Formes that reflect what they looked like before undergoing Darwinian evolution into the forms we know today would be cool, assuming that was the idea (it probably wasn't, since alternate-form stuff didn't really start until Gen IV). Someone on another site has suggested that Voltorb and Electrode were Electric/Grass back when people used Apricorn-based Poke Balls instead of mass-produced ones. Or maybe there's an Ancient Pichu that evolves into the appropriate Pikaclone based on the region.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wish I knew what happened to my Ancient Mew card.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why did it take the pokeworld so long to think of armor

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

why did it take the pokeworld so long to think of armor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cSdsdDx-Y

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's football this game is supposed to be about soccer

Adbot