Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

scary ghost dog posted:

difficult might not be the right word to describe the ending —- i would use “bitter.” but i think thats one of the biggest strengths of the book.......its conclusion feels inevitable. bas-lag is a much worse place than embassytown

I was using another's words but this is good to know. I am definitely warming to the book now--the parallel plots and larger societal level conflicts are emerging more clearly. Side cast of characters are interesting enough too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

It seems like he picks some word and overuses it in each book of the Bas-Lag trilogy. I can't remember what they are anymore but I remember thinking at the time, like okay this is the word for this book then.

Aerox posted:

What a puissant observation

Yes, I thought laciviously.

I had a tally on my bookmark for how many times he would use certain words. In Kraken I think it was clot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mitochondritom posted:

Yes, I thought laciviously.

I had a tally on my bookmark for how many times he would use certain words. In Kraken I think it was clot.

I didn't notice it in Kraken, but I really liked that book, to me it seems like the best of the "magic is real you just don't know about it" sub-genre.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

I didn't notice it in Kraken, but I really liked that book, to me it seems like the best of the "magic is real you just don't know about it" sub-genre.

I really enjoyed it too. It was my first Mieville book, mainly because someone passed it on to me knowing how much I love squid and the Natural History Museum.

Really disliked the Goss and Stubby parts though. Can't quite put my finger on why. Overall I thought it was like a better "American Gods".

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Aerox posted:

What a puissant observation

People always use puissant as an example, but does Mieville ever use it to mean "powerful" as opposed to a Gene Wolfian way of referring to magic or enchantment?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
He only ever uses it to describe the grindylow magic

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Microcline posted:

People always use puissant as an example, but does Mieville ever use it to mean "powerful" as opposed to a Gene Wolfian way of referring to magic or enchantment?

it is a Wolfe type thing. he isn't using fancy archaic words to sound like a smarty pants. he does it to instill a sense of strangeness and distance to the setting.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

it is a Wolfe type thing. he isn't using fancy archaic words to sound like a smarty pants. he does it to instill a sense of strangeness and distance to the setting.

There are definitely cases where Mieville overuses a word of the day (e.g. lascivious) as a deliberate and overwrought homage to influences like Dunsany and Lovecraft (who, admittedly, had a similar split between using archaic language for the sake of archaic language and using archaic language as a means of consistently addressing something alien which the reader can only loosely understand through context).

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Clot, drool, brute, splay, scab. Mieville loves his yucky words. He describes mutant cactacae as "corticled with excrescence" (ew).
One of his most ridiculous sentences is in Kraken, where he writes "their evil magic got stronger" as "their bad knacks waxed."

mitochondritom posted:

Really disliked the Goss and Stubby parts though. Can't quite put my finger on why. Overall I thought it was like a better "American Gods".

Yyyyyeah, I know exactly what you mean. That said, the protective mp3 player deserves a book of its own.

Hedrigall posted:

I once had a dream about a movie version of The Scar that opened with a black screen and Tanner saying the line "their science ain't ours," and it was so awesome that I woke up. I really want to see that non-existent movie, dammit.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hedrigall posted:

I kind of hate that I know this, but I'm pretty sure he uses it in Perdido Street Station in reference to a musket.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It's a magical musket which if I remember right actually looks like it's barfing out the shot when it gets fired.

Yeah, he uses "puissance" frequently in reference to magical stuff. Honestly that bothers me less than "cosseted" which seems to pop out every other chapter in PSS and I can't un-notice it now. Pretty sure I wouldn't have spotted it in the first place if not for this thread, so thanks everyone

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think the DnD party in PSS has some gear that's described as puissant, but I mostly associate it with the grindylow.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Are they the ones literally described as "fighting for gold and experience"? Such a great line.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Are they the ones literally described as "fighting for gold and experience"? Such a great line.

It owns because it's completely in-universe and in-character for Derkhan to dismiss them as reactionary lumpen that way

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I think when the gun itself is called puissant it's specifically after one of the adventurers dies, his buddy stops isaac to ask if he bothered to grab his sick gun before running away, which is so loving good and true

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I just read that scene again the other day and no, Fighter Dude gives it to his wizard boyfriend before he does something dangerous and stupid with Isaac. Fighter dude dies, Wizard Boyfriend goes mad with grief upon hearing of Fighter Dude's death and fires it (a blunderbuss) at far too long a range, missing everything. Wizard Boyfriend then calls upon some truly nasty thaumaturgy to melt like six cactus dudes before getting cut from shoulder to navel by another cactus dude, whose arm explodes from hitting the magic dude.

fake edit: I'm wrong, the magic one was Fighter Dude's pistol, which went off to no effect due to being hosed up by a slake-moth grabbing a helmet

vvv: yeah

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 13, 2019

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

All this is just reminding me how much Perdido Street Station owns.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
so did I imagine the vodyanoi with the bound water spirit asking whether or not isaac picked up the magic gun or was that actually there?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My biggest complaint with PSS is that it has fight scenes that you just itch to tell people about, only you can't without sounding completely insane. The handlinger fight-!! The sunspear!!-!!-!!!!

(The factory, clotted with puissance, drooled brute pugnacity into the water)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

andrew smash posted:

so did I imagine the vodyanoi with the bound water spirit asking whether or not isaac picked up the magic gun or was that actually there?

Don't think so, but I have a nasty habit of kinda skimming action sequences to make them go faster (like a movie!); guess you'll just have to re-read it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

uber_stoat posted:

I dig the puissant/thaumaturgy/etc. stuff for this exact reason - it’s Wolfe-esque worldbuilding. At the very least I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on it. :shrug:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
She totally does, it comes a bit after that action set piece though.

quote:

When Pengefinchess returned from some unstated errand ... she gathered herself slowly to leave, checked through her equipment, oiling her bow to keep it safe under the water. She asked what had become of Shadrach's pistol, and clucked regretfully when Isaac told her he did not know. "A shame. It was a powerful piece," she said abstractedly, looking out of the window and away. "Charmed. A puissant weapon."

page 592

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ah, I stopped for the night at Yag's italic interlude

this city is gross also im a sad bird wot ain't got wings no more and a rapist

i really want to go and paraphrase PSS paragraph by paragraph in the dumbest possible way now

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grand Prize Winner posted:

ah, I stopped for the night at Yag's italic interlude

this city is gross also im a sad bird wot ain't got wings no more and a rapist

i really want to go and paraphrase PSS paragraph by paragraph in the dumbest possible way now

Doooo iiiiiiiit!

It's even appropriate to the story. The Remakers excuse their bio-sadism with a lot of waffle about law and justice. Yag implies to Isaac that he lost his wings for some weird alien bird crime that humans can't understand. Fancy talking is the enemy!
A dumbified Construct Council speech would be amazing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Holy poo poo, he kinda deals with the same theme in Embassytown, doesn't he?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Remaking is legit one of the most hosed up things in any novels I've read and sets a horrifying stage for all of the Bas Lag books. The scene with the remade whore house in PSS is horrifying

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Quandary posted:

Remaking is legit one of the most hosed up things in any novels I've read and sets a horrifying stage for all of the Bas Lag books. The scene with the remade whore house in PSS is horrifying

To be honest: I haven't actually re-read PSS in about ten years because of that scene; there's some stuff I don't necessarily want in my head. It really is the most relentlessly grim drat book.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

andrew smash posted:

She totally does, it comes a bit after that action set piece though.

page 592

lol, i put part of this through an AI text generator and it produced the following:
(the bold part is the input, the rest is AI generated)

quote:

When Pengefinchess returned from some unstated errand ... she gathered herself slowly to leave, checked through her equipment, oiling her bow to keep it safe under the water. She had heard the rumours - of the creatures of the deep, of monsters of the underworld, of evil creatures who lived in the darkest recesses of the moon, of fiends of the depths, of the creatures who stalk the streets of London.

"Well, I don't want to start anything here. I've been out there for more than three weeks, for God's sakes. And it ain't pleasant. All, from the shadows I can see them, the night, and the day, and even to see them in person - as though they come from the stars themselves ..."

No; she'd come across what she'd seen before. The creatures of the moon's dark, undefinable realms. But they were as human in appearance as any - and they were coming from the stars instead of the sewers. The one that most frightened, she knew, was the one that was the symbol of humanism, which

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

What was the training data for that?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Goddam the last few posts in this thread have reminded me just how much crazy poo poo is crammed into PSS. You guys haven't even mentioned the singing interdimensional spider monster or the fact that Issac's vacuum cleaners gets a virus and becomes sentient.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Whoa spoilers on too much crazy poo poo as I am reading this now. Or I guess I'll ignore the thread until finished I guess

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The only restraint in PSS is the metal one attaching you to a surgical bed in the Remaking factory.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

What was the training data for that?

That was almost certainly from https://talktotransformer.com

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just lolled to myself at the idea of someone trying to adapt PSS and having to pitch khepri to an hbo exec.....i would straight up die to watch a show where the female lead is a red skinned woman whose head is just a weird bug that talks by farting

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

scary ghost dog posted:

just lolled to myself at the idea of someone trying to adapt PSS and having to pitch khepri to an hbo exec.....i would straight up die to watch a show where the female lead is a red skinned woman whose head is just a weird bug that talks by farting

There you go mixing up khepri and anophelii, you racist.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

There you go mixing up khepri and anophelii, you racist.

Lol khepri are the beetle-women dude. Anopheles are the mosquito people who are exiled on a desert island.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

withak posted:

Lol khepri are the beetle-women dude. Anopheles are the mosquito people who are exiled on a desert island.

Yes, I know.

The Khepri ladies speak primarily through sign language.

The male anophelii have sphincter mouths that only allow them to speak in fart sounds.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I though the beetle-women communicated with each other through smells and with humans through sign language.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

withak posted:

I though the beetle-women communicated with each other through smells and with humans through sign language.

They do. The male anophelii have butthole mouths but their spoken language is described as whistling and hooting sounds iirc. So a kind of fart I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

toot toot